Ed Oliver DWI while carrying firearm

On 5/19/2020 at 12:25 AM, Jet Nut said:

Youre going to beat this to death aren't you.  It was well documented, he was under the impression all he had to do was check the gun in, the gun that was broken down and not loaded.  He did what he thought was the along the right procedure.  He wasn't trying to sneak a gun on board a plane as you made it sound.  This isnt a new story, its been covered to death.  

What Oliver did was way worse, to argue it is mind numbing.  As is youre holier than thou, he's so ignorant you want to barf

Please stop making this out like QW was just a confused kid improperly checking a (illegal) firearm at the airport.

What do you think of him bringing an unregistered gun INTO the state of NY? 

That makes the gun itself illegal in the eyes of the court. Being in possession of it while here in NY is his main problem, not how he checked it at the airport.

The gun didn't magically appear in his NY home. He bought it in Alabama, transported it illegally into NY, had it in his possession while here.

He's charged with a felony, and the Court will take into account him bringing into, and living in the State with an illegal firearm, not just improperly checking it at the airport.

3 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Please stop making this out like QW was just a confused kid improperly checking a (illegal) firearm at the airport.

That makes the gun itself illegal in the eyes of the court. Being in possession of it while here in NY is his main problem, not how he checked it at the airport.

The gun didn't magically appear in his NY home. He bought it in Alabama, transported it illegally into NY, had it in his possession while here.

He's charged with a felony, and the Court will take into account him bringing into, and living in the State with an illegal firearm, not just improperly checking it at the airport.

He gets off with a warning. Misses no games. You troll about something else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, slats said:

He gets off with a warning. Misses no games. You troll about something else. 

Screw you with the trolling accusation...  I stated nothing but what happened in QW's incident, and never gave my opinion of how it will play out as far as suspension or punishment.

When you show me your Law degree, I'll give your opinion more validity than mine.

You have no idea how this case will be adjudicated and neither do I, so stop talking like you do.

8 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Screw you with the trolling accusation...  I stated nothing but what happened in QW's incident, and my opinion of how it will play out..

When you show me your Law degree, I'll give your opinion more validity than mine.

LOL.  You don't need a law degree to spot an internet messageboard troll.  And I have a law degree.  Although there was no particular law school course  about recognition of trolls, you don't need a particularly high LSAT score to spot the obvious here.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

He will get his charges dismissed just like Patrick Chung did,

26 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Screw you with the trolling accusation...  I stated nothing but what happened in QW's incident, and never gave my opinion of how it will play out as far as suspension or punishment.

You have no idea how this case will be adjudicated and neither do I, so stop talking like you do.

You spelled observation wrong. 

That's my prediction. I'm sticking with it. You need to spin it to be as bad as possible because that's what you do here. I get it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dcat said:

LOL.  You don't need a law degree to spot an internet messageboard troll.  And I have a law degree.  Although there was no particular law school course  about recognition of trolls, you don't need a particularly high LSAT score to spot the obvious here.

Trolling? I stated what happened, never gave an opinion on a suspension or sentence. Not that it matters, but I think they should, and probably will go lightly with QW.

You do you though. Keep sucking up to the mod, fan boy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Ed Oliver is getting suspended for 4 games a la Sheldon Richardson.

Quinnen Williams will have his charges likely reduced as did Da'Quan Bowers, and he will pay fines and avoid a league suspension. 

7 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Trolling? I stated what happened, never gave an opinion on a suspension or sentence. Not that it matters, but I think they should, and probably will go lightly with QW.

You do you though. Keep sucking up to the mod, fan boy.

I suck up to no one.  Slats is right. That's not sucking up.  That's called agreement.  You are probably the most active troll here now that all the Pats trolls have left.

43 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I suck up to no one.  Slats is right. That's not sucking up.  That's called agreement.  You are probably the most active troll here now that all the Pats trolls have left.

Sticking your nose into a conversation like that one which didn't involve you at all, just to echo the mod?

That is the definition of sucking up, fan boy.

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Sticking your nose into a conversation like that one which didn't involve you at all, just to echo the mod?

That is the definition of sucking up, fan boy.

Nope.  You've been annoying for a long time. Has nothing to do with slats. ALthough he opened the door.  Wide open.  At least I didn't insult your face.  Mctroll would have been just fine.  RIght McFly?

On 5/19/2020 at 7:26 AM, slats said:

If it happened to a player on another team, it wouldn't've even registered with me. 

Ignorance of the law isn't going to give him a free pass, but it should give him a very reduced charge and sentence. He's a 21 year old kid who knew the gun laws where he was from and believed he was following them correctly in NY. He was wrong, but his intent was to legally move a firearm safely. Intent matters. 

One of the problems with dealing with the law is the entire concept of intent which gets to "state of mind".  He may well have known he didn't legally register the gun in NY and that's why he was bringing it back illegally?  In which case his intent might have been the exact opposite that you think it is.

I would leave the judgement up to the Judge.  He may not have been ignorant of the law. People break the law for all kinds of reasons.  I suspect the Judge will take into account his attempt to comply if he did the complexity of the actual law to comply with.  

Being 21 years old is no excuse for ignorance.  The right to bear arms doesn't remove the responsibility that comes with that.  Ignorance is a very poor defense.  

I remember how I was the dumb one in this thread bc I suggested QW had a bigger issue with the law than Ed Oliver mostly bc of where the events happened for each player.  Not so dumb anymore I guess. 

"Houston attorney Gary Patterson says all charges against @BuffaloBills DT Ed Oliver, former @UHCougarFB star, stemming from his arrest May 16 in Montgomery County, are being dismissed. Oliver was arrested for DWI & unlawfully carrying a weapon : “The charges against Ed Oliver..” https://t.co/s4SzIER5m1

20200722_153142.jpg

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I remember how I was the dumb one in this thread bc I suggested QW had a nice issue with the law than Ed Oliver.  Not so dumb anymore I guess. 

"Houston attorney Gary Patterson says all charges against @BuffaloBills DT Ed Oliver, former @UHCougarFB star, stemming from his arrest May 16 in Montgomery County, are being dismissed. Oliver was arrested for DWI & unlawfully carrying a weapon : “The charges against Ed Oliver..” https://t.co/s4SzIER5m1

20200722_153142.jpg

Wow!

40 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I remember how I was the dumb one in this thread bc I suggested QW had a bigger issue with the law than Ed Oliver mostly bc of where the events happened for each player.  Not so dumb anymore I guess. 

A lot of people who watched College ball (and by that, I mean actually watched Ed blow up the NCAA annually) knew the score on this one. QW was the latest in a long ling of 1-year wonders at DT produced by programs and program schedules. Leonard Williams was the last version of this. Hell, Alabama has a Walmart line of DTs who've never come close to their pedigree.

Yet, 3/4 of JN would walk you off the plank for saying that in April '19...   It is what it is, and i'll happen again. Drumline there was QW champion #1

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Ed Oliver is getting suspended for 4 games a la Sheldon Richardson.

Quinnen Williams will have his charges likely reduced as did Da'Quan Bowers, and he will pay fines and avoid a league suspension. 

Maybe Cam Newton can help. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

20200722_153142.jpg

The cops pulled over a young African American and charged him with two felonies.  I'm shocked.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:47 AM, Eaton Beaver said:

What is the matter with these players? Doesn't the NFL have in place a system where the player can get a ride anytime. It is just unfathomable to see anyone get in a car and drive after drinking. especially with a gun in the car, very bad judgement.

Interesting this post got a down vote. I would think even gun rights supporters would have no objection to this. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

20200722_153142.jpg

Has this happened yet or is it just defense attorney speak?

18 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Your special Ed is still a dipsh*t with poor character like Sheldon Richardson. I'm glad the Jets passed on him.

The Mormon Monsters Football team is lucky to have your support.

"high character is the foundation to high results"

-Coach Cletus Belleview.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The Mormon Monsters Football team is lucky to have your support.

"high character is the foundation to high results"

-Coach Cletus Belleview.

Like I said before, Oliver is immensely talented and equally immature. Maybe he'll be as good as his Uncle Sheldon Richardson some day. 

5 pages of posturing and condemning a person on another team as dumb and selfish, a horrible person who should rot in jail. Meanwhile, our guy just made an honest mistake... He was simply trying to return an unregistered gun to a state where it was legal.

Turns out the other guy was innocent, except maybe of DWB.

Reaction here: (in best Mongo from Blazing Saddles voice) “Jet player good. Bills player bad.”

You guys..... ?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Honest mistake.

He just needs to use the JN defense in cases like this.

Simply tell the judge he didn’t know this was illegal, or that once he realized it was illegal, he was simply trying to return it to a State where it was....

5 hours ago, Biggs said:

One of the problems with dealing with the law is the entire concept of intent which gets to "state of mind".  He may well have known he didn't legally register the gun in NY and that's why he was bringing it back illegally?  In which case his intent might have been the exact opposite that you think it is.

I would leave the judgement up to the Judge.  He may not have been ignorant of the law. People break the law for all kinds of reasons.  I suspect the Judge will take into account his attempt to comply if he did the complexity of the actual law to comply with.  

Being 21 years old is no excuse for ignorance.  The right to bear arms doesn't remove the responsibility that comes with that.  Ignorance is a very poor defense.  

I stand by my comment from back in May. QW’s gonna get off with a slap on the wrist and no suspension. This is a good kid, no off field stuff that I’m aware of. No arrests. He had no reason to move a firearm illegally. He believed he was obeying the law, ignorant of NY’s gun laws. His intent was in the right place.  

I generally tend to agree that ignorance is no excuse but, in this case, it’s not a straightforward right and wrong law. It’s NY’s specific gun restrictions that he was unaware of. He’s got a good case and, I am most certain, even better lawyers. Nothing is going to come of this. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I stand by my comment from back in May. QW’s gonna get off with a slap on the wrist and no suspension. This is a good kid, no off field stuff that I’m aware of. No arrests. He had no reason to move a firearm illegally. He believed he was obeying the law, ignorant of NY’s gun laws. His intent was in the right place.  

I generally tend to agree that ignorance is no excuse but, in this case, it’s not a straightforward right and wrong law. It’s NY’s specific gun restrictions that he was unaware of. He’s got a good case and, I am most certain, even better lawyers. Nothing is going to come of this. 

So a run of the mill 21 year old young black man walks into the airport with an unregistered and illegal weapon, that he's presumably had for months illegally in NY, in his checked luggage.  You're telling me he walks away with no jail time bc he was "ignorant" of the law? Give me a break.  Good people get locked up or get probation for less bc of their ignorance.  This is a felony in NY, not a misdemeanor. It's a mandatory 1-4 years in prison if he's convicted.   He will plea down to a misdemeanor, get probation,  lose his gun and get fined. He WILL get suspended by the NFL for this.  What is going to hurt him is that the court will presume he's had the illegal weapon in NY since before the football season. Which means he transported a firearm across state lines illegally as well. That's 6 months of illegally possessing a firearm in the strictest gun control state in America.  He'd have a better case if he was caught trying to bring it into NY. His lawyers will not want to risk him being found guilty and going to jail. They will plead out.

However this turns out to be one thing is for certain.  This kid is dumber than a box of rocks. 

This is a good article to read as it pertain to QW's situation.  The one big difference is that this is about people from out of state attempting to bring weapons into NY. QW had his gun in NY illegally for months prior to getting caught at the airport.  That's a huge difference.  It's worth the read. 

https://queenseagle.com/all/2020/1/10/hundreds-of-gun-toting-tourists-have-been-arrested-at-nyc-airports

By Claire Bryan

Special to the Eagle

Marcus and Shekeidra Booker’s trip to New York City last August went according to plan, until the final leg back to Georgia when Booker checked his handgun. Marcus Booker had packaged the weapon in a hard-cased container just as Transportation Security Administration recommends, but the Port Authority Police arrested him as he stood at the check-in desk. He had broken New York State law, they said.

Though Booker is licensed to legally own his handgun in Georgia, a state known for its gun-friendly policies, his Georgia license doesn’t stand up to New York State’s strict gun laws. “We were going to a big city,” Booker said. “I wanted to keep my wife safe.” 

Booker overlooked a TSA guideline that advises travelers to comply with firearm laws wherever they travel. Policies vary across local, state and international governments, TSA warns on its website. According to the Bookers, no one checking in their gun at the Atlanta airport warned them they would be at risk of getting arrested in New York City. 

“We’ve flown to Las Vegas, and other places, this has never happened,” Marcus Booker said. 

“No one said nothing,” Shekeidra Booker said. “I think the airport has a responsibility to tell him he could get arrested.”

Marcus Booker is among 483 people who have been arrested for possessing a firearm at JFK and LaGuardia airports since 2014, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office. The numbers of these airport arrests have remained fairly consistent each year, ranging from 69 in 2014 to 92 in 2015 arrests each year, according to the Queens DA’s Office data. There were 67 such arrests last year.

Many defendants, like Booker, were unaware they were breaking the law when they brought their guns to New York City, said Queens District Attorney’s Supreme Court Trial Bureau I Chief Francesco Catarisano.

“Most of the seizures at the airport are made as a result of the person saying, ‘I'm here I have a gun that I have to transport,’” Catarisano said. “In a sense they are surrendering. Though they’re not really surrendering because they want [the gun] back, but they recognize that they have the gun and they are giving up custody of it.”

Not doing their research 

Penalties for gun possession can include a $1,000 fine and a four-year prison sentence — up to 15 years if the gun is loaded with ammunition. But the offense can also result in an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal — a full dismissal of the charges as long as the individual doesn’t get arrested again in a set period of time, said defense attorney Jeremy Saland, a former Manhattan prosecutor. Saland, who is also a councilmember in New Castle, NY, said he represents about six clients charged with airport-related firearm arrests each year.

“Routinely, these individuals are law-abiding citizens genuinely attempting to follow the law and adhere to TSA guidelines,” Saland said. 

Queens prosecutors tend to treat defendants with out-of-state licenses with leniency, Saland said.

Of the cases at JFK and LaGuardia airports since 2014, 80 percent have resulted in a dismissal or a plea to disorderly conduct, according to the Queens DA’s Office data. Sentences included a fine or a conditional discharge. Four cases resulted in state prison time, and all of those cases were because the individual didn’t declare their weapon and had other aggravating factors, said Catarisano the Queens assistant district attorney.

“The fact remains that in the state of New York, all of these situations are felonies,” Catarisano said. “But we try to make the difference with the disposition of it, in treating them differently than somebody who is actually using the gun in a robbery, or in the commission of another crime.”

While TSA checkpoints do fall under federal jurisdiction, and some police officers at airports are authorized to enforce TSA requirements that prohibit flying with a gun in a carry-on bag at security, arrests that happen at the airline desk when the traveler is speaking with the airline representatives fall are under state jurisdiction.

Atlanta Airport’s TSA spokesperson Lisa Farbstein said every traveler who is carrying a firearm should do their homework to ensure they are complying with the laws of the jurisdiction they are flying to and from. Airlines like Delta also list warnings about where and how individuals can transport firearms on their websites.

State Assemblymember Jo Anne Simon, a Democrat from Brooklyn, said it’s up to the gun-owners to understand New York gun laws before they try to bring a gun into the city.

“I think it is on the smart traveler who is a responsible gun owner to do [their] research,” Simon said. “The people who are checking you in are not experts in these types of things.”

State Sen. Liz Kruger of Manhattan also said it’s up to gun owners to learn the laws in the jurisdiction they visit, but she said punishments should not be too harsh.

“If you need a license or carry permit to have a gun in New York, that should apply regardless of where you live,” Kruger said in an email. “That said, I think confiscation, fines, and misdemeanors are more appropriate than felony charges.”

A right-to-carry push

Booker, the Georgia man arrested at JFK, was convicted of possessing a firearm, a Class E felony. In 2013, New York classified possession of a firearm as a felony amid a tightening of state gun laws following the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut. 

He appeared before a judge on Sept. 30 and was asked to return on Dec. 4. Booker— who does not have a past criminal record — submitted his gun license, proof of employment and other documents for the judge to review, in hopes of reducing the felony charge to a misdemeanor.

The Bookers have four children at home and said they found it hard to pay for flights back and forth to New York City.

In addition to airport arrest, gun-toting tourists have been arrested at the 9/11 Memorial and Empire State Building. Sometimes they attempted to check their gun with security, thinking they were doing the right thing.

In 2011, after a tourist was arrested at the 9/11 Memorial for attempting to properly store her gun with a security officer on the premises, then-Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver said he would hold a hearing to discuss how exactly the law is enforced and consider changing the law, the New York Post reported

“Nothing was ever done about it,” said New York State Rifle and Pistol Association President Tom King. “[Silver’s effort] was lip-service that was being paid by the Democrats to the people of New York and the people of the nation, lots of whom travel through New York State.”

King said that arrests at airports like these were part of the reason why the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association sued the city in a case concerning a New York City rule that barred gun owners from traveling outside the city with their guns. On Dec. 2, 2019, the United States Supreme Court discussed this case, but the court has yet to vote. The Supreme Court may decide to dismiss the case because the New York City rule is no longer in effect. 

The NYPD has staunchly opposed loosening city gun restrictions, however. In 2017, then-Commissioner James O’Neill urged Congress to vote against the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, which would enable people with out-of-state licenses to bring their guns into New York City and carry on the crowded streets and subways. O’Neill has warned that more guns in the city could jeopardize historic low crime rates. An influx of guns would also complicate cops’ jobs they would not know who is legally carrying firearms, he said.

“I’ve been speaking out against this for months,” O’Neill told ABC7 in December 2017. “I said it’s a risk to public safety but it’s more than that— it’s insanity.”

“We do not need more people with guns in New York City,” he continued. “It’s a threat to everyone in this city and it’s a threat to the men and women in the NYPD.”

14 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So a run of the mill 21 year old young black man walks into the airport with an unregistered and illegal weapon...

A run of the mill 21 year old young black man with $20M in the bank? An NFL franchise behind him? Nothing, nada, zilch.