Jump to content

Too much time on their hands


Recommended Posts

Lattimore, D. Baker, Q. Dunbar, and now Ed Oliver.  I know every off-season some players get themselves in trouble.  Whether it’s a foolish decision made by a young person with millions of dollars, or an individual with a bad past and a lot of red flags, every year we hear stories.But it seems recently after this week that it’s happening more than usual, and I’m wondering if a lot of this unstructured time is going to hurt the players who need discipline,structure and guidance.  I truly believe an individual can change their life… Look at Ray Lewis. There are always knuckleheads in the NFL, but now they have more free time than usual.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Damn near everyone has more free time now. That's not an excuse for their recent transgressions

Not excusing it at all.  I am concerned that more idiots may follow suit.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Damn near everyone has more free time now. That's not an excuse for their recent transgressions

I have a ton of free time, but do not have millions of dollars which I could use to do whatever my money can afford.  I can get in a lot more trouble with a million dollars than I can with my unemployment.  But rich or poor, no one has the right to be an arse!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I've been sitting around for 10 weeks.  I'm bored

Maybe I'll go get a gun, and knock off my old Fri. night poker game.  LOL

This has nothing to do with the virus.  Obiviously they are not in lock down.  These are just stupid people, doing stupid things.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lil O said:

Lattimore, D. Baker, Q. Dunbar, and now Ed Oliver.  I know every off-season some players get themselves in trouble.  Whether it’s a foolish decision made by a young person with millions of dollars, or an individual with a bad past and a lot of red flags, every year we hear stories.But it seems recently after this week that it’s happening more than usual, and I’m wondering if a lot of this unstructured time is going to hurt the players who need discipline,structure and guidance.  I truly believe an individual can change their life… Look at Ray Lewis. There are always knuckleheads in the NFL, but now they have more free time than usual.

Thug-Life-4.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like I said in another thread couple days ago...   

With this pandemic/economic crisis causing a quarantine.  There's going to be a spike in violence...domestic or otherwise...depression-Covid deaths-suicides...and people just plain snapping.  I mean...with what's happening right now...people are scared...many lives are being destroyed.  I don't see those in sports or entertainment immune to this.  They'll react to this situation in all different ways.  I mean they have family and friends effected by this.  So it's bound to effect them too. 

It also goes beyond this immediate year...as far as the future of people's livelihood goes.  Due to the fact that the World Economy has "locked down" and crashed...how much of a contraction will there be in the economy's future?   There's probably around 35+ million just here in the USA that are out of work.  

Hopefully we're coming out of it...as the states are opening up.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t understand why it is so hard to stay home, especially with the amount of money they have. I’d have installed a home theater and a gym and called it a day. 

Crime aside, when everything gets back to normal, we are going to see who took care of themselves and worked hard vs. the ones that let themselves go. Who was getting drunk every day and who was eating healthy and working out. 
 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So tried to spend just a few minutes looking at crimes by the general population by income level. I was only able to find violent crime data from 2008-2012. In the USA high income (defined as 4X the federal poverty level - so roughly 100K for a family of 4) commit 20 violent crimes per 1,000.

Ok so from a bleacher report that tracked arrest made in the 2000’s, there were 550 arrest on nfl players in that decade. So 55 a year. So, 28 per 1,000 in the nfl (these are all crimes and not just violent crimes) versus 20 violent crimes by high income earners in the general population.

This is all to say, seems like nfl players are not significantly different from the general population when it comes to crime even when you factor in income level.

The main difference is that they’re in the spot light. So, any crime they commit gets publicized.

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

This is a very drawn out way of saying "black people."

I think most of us recognize that there are dumb people doing dumb things regardless of race. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Agreed.

This post seemed to have some racial connotations

Weren’t you the one that brought up “black people” in the first place.  Have you had a revelation or are you playing both sides?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

I was implying he was tiptoeing around saying "black people" but clearly reading comprehension isn't your strong suite

That’s Bull.  Did he mean black people?  Did he clarify what he posted, and specify that he meant black people...no. You ASSumed that’s what he meant, and YOU posted your ASSumption.  I assumed he meant people from “the hood”, and if you have ever been to rural Pennsylvania, or Massachusetts, or parts of  LA you would have seen a rainbow of people from various “Hoods”.  My comprehending is just fine, but clearly you need to get out more. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lil O said:

That’s Bull.  Did he mean black people?  Did he clarify what he posted, and specify that he meant black people...no. You ASSumed that’s what he meant, and YOU posted your ASSumption.  I assumed he meant people from “the hood”, and if you have ever been to rural Pennsylvania, or Massachusetts, or parts of  LA you would have seen a rainbow of people from various “Hoods”.  My comprehending is just fine, but clearly you need to get out more. 

It very well may have been a perfectly innocuous and well-intentioned post, but it didn't come across to me that way. It felt much more as coded language.

"Assume" what you want from my posts, but I'm standing by what I said

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...