Jump to content

POLL: Given the opportunity, which one of these events in Jets' history would you change?


TuscanyTile2
 Share

Given the opportunity, which one of these events in Jets' history would you change?  

144 members have voted

  1. 1. Given the opportunity, which one of these events in Jets' history would you change?

    • Jets draft Marino instead of O'Brien
    • Jets draft Brett Favre (in other words, pretend the Falcons didn't take him 1 slot ahead of us)
    • Belichick would've stayed on as HC of the NYJ for the long-term
    • Jets draft Peyton Manning (in other words, he would've had to leave after let's say his Junior season and Parcells would've taken him)
    • Jets draft Tom Brady (as per their scout who supposedly pleaded with Parcells to take him)
    • Jets draft Russell Wilson (who Bradway supposedly "pounded the table" for)
    • Jets draft Lawrence Taylor (who we missed out on by getting a meaningless win over the Dolphins in the "no announcers" game)
    • Jets draft Jerry Rice over Al Toon
      0
    • None of the above ("Eeyore!")


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Belichick is the surest Super Bowl. If he stays, Brady is wearing a number other than 12 in green. If Beli drafted him there, he would’ve drafted him here. 

What is this based on? Belichick passed on him 5 times before finally drafting him in NE.

There is no guarantee he even gets the chance to draft him in this alternate universe. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, slimjasi said:

What is this based on? Belichick passed on him 5 times before finally drafting him in NE.

There is no guarantee he even gets the chance to draft him in this alternate universe. 

 

You’ve answered your own question. No one wanted Brady until Belichick was on the clock in the sixth round. Wherever Belichick was in charge, that’s where Brady was going. You know Belichick would’ve had no patience for Pennington. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Bill Walsh wanted Toon over Rice. This poll answer would be reversed if the Jets has taken Rice, instead. 

Is that right?  Never knew that.  Though pretty sure I heard Belichick liked Kyle Brady when we drafted him (I think 1 pick ahead of the Pats)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Wrong he could have had Manning but made no move to promise him he would be the 1st pick in the draft. Even Manning's mother said they waited to hear from the Tuna and he never made a effort so Peyton went back to school..

It wasn’t absolute he could have had Manning:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/its-been-20-years-since-peyton-manning-the-jets-and-t-1794742180/amp

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easily the Jets draft the best QB in the history of the NFL #1 overrall in 1997, with Parcels as head coach and Manning our QB, we would win the SB in 1998 without a doubt. In 97 we woulda beat Lions to make the wildcard as well. No Ray Lucas/O'Donnell garbage loss there. I saw Manning in his prime the whole time in this league, he was the only QB i feared. He could outsmart your defense and beat you at anytime. Count in his exceptional passing ability and the guy was unbelievable. Manning had average coaches and it didn't even matter. He ran that offense. Brady never scared me, Bradys teams and (video camera) coaches did.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, slats said:

You’ve answered your own question. No one wanted Brady until Belichick was on the clock in the sixth round. Wherever Belichick was in charge, that’s where Brady was going. 

Lol, you don’t know this. Who knows which scouts liked Brady and which didn’t and whether they would have even been on the Jets staff? 
BB has admitted that he had no idea what they had in Brady. The notion that he liked Brady appreciably more than the rest of the league is sort of dispelled by the fact that they didn’t take him until the 6th round. 
The Pats lucked into Brady. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

This says it all right here..And it all may have been because Bill Parcells couldn’t commit to what practically everyone else thought was a sure thing.

It does say that but it also quotes Archie Manning - “If Bill had come out and said, ‘Peyton, you’re my guy, I’m going to pick you,’ it may have made it a little bit harder,” Archie said. “But I swear he wanted to be a senior.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It does say that but it also quotes Archie Manning - “If Bill had come out and said, ‘Peyton, you’re my guy, I’m going to pick you,’ it may have made it a little bit harder,” Archie said. “But I swear he wanted to be a senior.”

The Tuna was going to coach for 3 years he didn't want to use the 1st pick in the draft on a QB that would take some time to develop in his mind.. Archie and Bill were friends so....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Tuna was going to coach for 3 years he didn't want to use the 1st pick in the draft on a QB that would take some time to develop in his mind.. Archie and Bill were friends so....

I always wondered had Hess lived if Tuna would have stayed. He was the perfect owner for him. Never interfered and gave Parcell total control

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The obvious answer is Marino, he was on the board and we passed him for a Division II QB. Ridiculous move. 

This is correct. Marino passing to Toon and Walker would have had the Jets win at least one SuperBowl and several AFC East championships as the Dolphins would have been nowhere.

 

BB is a close second.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Keeping belichick should have been easy.

All he needed was the assurance of stability from ownership. He had concerns about james dolan and woody johnson. The concerns could have been addressed ahead of time.

Can you blame him? Seems like he made the right decision.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Can you blame him? Seems like he made the right decision.

Dolan is an idiot. He needs to sell the Knicks. 
 

I think people exaggerate the Johnson’s alleged incompetence. They’ve been pretty good owners. The GM hirings were based on the advice of others, including Wolf and Casserly. Two supposedly smart football guys. They pushed for Maccagnan. Even that bozo Idzik was a hot candidate when we hired him. Todd Bowles? The next Mike Tomlin! Don’t pass him up! 

 

LMFAO. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Dolan is an idiot. He needs to sell the Knicks. 
 

I think people exaggerate the Johnson’s alleged incompetence. They’ve been pretty good owners. The GM hirings were based on the advice of others, including Wolf and Casserly. Two supposedly smart football guys. They pushed for Maccagnan. Even that bozo Idzik was a hot candidate when we hired him. Todd Bowles? The next Mike Tomlin! Don’t pass him up! 

 

LMFAO. 

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a tough one.   Voted for Favre.   The Jets fan in me sees the negative in just about every scenario (other than my hatred of Marino prevents me from even considering the option)...For instance:

 

Could easily see Belichick failing if he stayed here.   He seemed to be well on his way to failing in NE until we helped them out and took out Bledsoe.   There is never much patience for anyone here.  

Peyton struggled in big games in college and for a while in the pros.   Probably run out of town before succeeding.

Tom Brady/Russell Wilson never would have been properly developed here.

Toon was a great receiver in his own right....don't see Rice over Toon making a significant difference....

 

In the end, Favre is a gunslinger with **** it attitude that I think would have given him the opportunity to succeed here regardless of all of the other nonsense going on around him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My vote is for drafting Manning....

We were right there minus him going back to school, and he was a transcendent level talent that would have changed the Fortune of the Jets regardless of who was the HC or GM.....

 

Lots of other moving parts in the other scenarios IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

 

9 hours ago, Savage69 said:

This says it all right here..And it all may have been because Bill Parcells couldn’t commit to what practically everyone else thought was a sure thing.

 

8 hours ago, Savage69 said:

The Tuna was going to coach for 3 years he didn't want to use the 1st pick in the draft on a QB that would take some time to develop in his mind.. Archie and Bill were friends so....

 

Also Tuna knew something no one else was privy to.  Hess only had a few years to live, he hired Parcells with the edict to win at all costs.  Supposedly when Archie asked Parcells if he would pick his son with the pick if he declared Parcells wouldn't/cpouldnt rule out a trade out of the top spot if someone offered a Ricky Williams like deal. Archie wanted Peyton in NY, on the Jets & with Parcells but was afraid NO would trade their entire draft to pick another Manning.  Archie was dead set against it.

He wanted to play for Parcells, he wanted to play for the Jets, he wanted to play in New York, but he didn’t want to declare for the draft and then be concerned that Parcells would trade the pick.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy. Fire the overrated, fat Tuna after ‘97 and promote Belichick.

In this scenario, Hess isn’t looking to sell yet, so Belichick accepts and guarantees the 2nd greatest prospect of all time the #1 overall selection. Peyton and Belichick go on to become the GOATs at their positions just like they did in real life, except in this scenario, they accomplish is all in green and white.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Easy. Fire the overrated, fat Tuna after ‘97 and promote Belichick.

In this scenario, Hess isn’t looking to sell yet, so Belichick accepts and guarantees the 2nd greatest prospect of all time the #1 overall selection. Peyton and Belichick go on to become the GOATs at their positions just like they did in real life, except in this scenario, they accomplish is all in green and white.

Fire a Super Bowl winning HC that you gave up four draft picks to acquire that just took a 1-15 team and brought them to 9-7 for an assistant coach with  losing record to that point. LOL!!!! 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Can you blame him? Seems like he made the right decision.

 

11 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Dolan is an idiot. He needs to sell the Knicks. 
 

I think people exaggerate the Johnson’s alleged incompetence. They’ve been pretty good owners. The GM hirings were based on the advice of others, including Wolf and Casserly. Two supposedly smart football guys. They pushed for Maccagnan. Even that bozo Idzik was a hot candidate when we hired him. Todd Bowles? The next Mike Tomlin! Don’t pass him up! 

 

LMFAO. 

 

My recollection of the jets is entirely of the woody johnson era. But knowing the jets had only 2 playoff seasons in the 90s, the 2000s woody era was definitely an improvement. The 2010s were almost as bad as the 90s, i say almost because there were no 'rich kotite' years.

 

Woody is more disengaged from the franchise than some of the other owners. Kraft pretty much lives the patriots, he's right there in the midst of it all. If you're belichick, you'd be more comfortable with kraft, knowing fully well that he isn't going anywhere and will do just about anything to support the coach.

The environment around the team - flaky ownership, weak organizational structure, media, fan-base...everything...makes the jets a really tough gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the list of What ifs...The reality is each player/coach ended up doing well where they eventually went and we can only assume the same success would have happened here.

The one thing I would change would be one simple play....The Keith Byers fumble in Denver.  I believe we would have gone on to win that Super Bowl against Atlanta.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Eason got to the same number of Superbowls as Marino did (and had the same record in the Superbowl).  Blackledge was a washout.  Eason was a pretty decent QB (similar to O'Brien).

That's a strange and irrelevant take to say the least. Marino was head and shoulders above all three. If you lived those years as I did, it was a no brainer. Marino was HOF. Just a great QB. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Fire a Super Bowl winning HC that you gave up four draft picks to acquire that just took a 1-15 team and brought them to 9-7 for an assistant coach with  losing record to that point. LOL!!!! 

Yes. In case you don’t understand the thread, the basic idea is what would we change in history after having the added benefit of knowing what we know now. Doesn’t matter what the situation was at the time.

Knowing today that Parcells didn’t do anything worthwile in the NFL after ‘97 except blow a 10 point lead in the AFCCG, and knowing that Peyton turned into a GOAT QB and Belichick into a GOAT coach, and going back in time to pinpoint the one event that could have landed us both, I’m very happy with my original post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yes. In case you don’t understand the thread, the basic idea is what would we change in history after having the added benefit of knowing what we know now. Doesn’t matter what the situation was at the time.

Knowing today that Parcells didn’t do anything worthwile in the NFL after ‘97 except blow a 10 point lead in the AFCCG, and knowing that Peyton turned into a GOAT QB and Belichick into a GOAT coach, and going back in time to pinpoint the one event that could have landed us both, I’m very happy with my original post.

If you are going to do that, than rather than fire Parcells, what makes more sense is keeping Belichick as HC in 1997 and never trading 4 draft picks for Parcells.  This way you have Belichick AND the 4 draft picks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...