POLL: Given the opportunity, which one of these events in Jets' history would you change?

Given the opportunity, which one of these events in Jets' history would you change?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Given the opportunity, which one of these events in Jets' history would you change?

• Jets draft Marino instead of O'Brien
    • Jets draft Brett Favre (in other words, pretend the Falcons didn't take him 1 slot ahead of us)
    • Belichick would've stayed on as HC of the NYJ for the long-term
    • Jets draft Peyton Manning (in other words, he would've had to leave after let's say his Junior season and Parcells would've taken him)
    • Jets draft Tom Brady (as per their scout who supposedly pleaded with Parcells to take him)
    • Jets draft Russell Wilson (who Bradway supposedly "pounded the table" for)
    • Jets draft Lawrence Taylor (who we missed out on by getting a meaningless win over the Dolphins in the "no announcers" game)
    • Jets draft Jerry Rice over Al Toon
    • None of the above ("Eeyore!")

• 2 years later...

Picked our former head coach for a day because he has proven his system trumps players, but when he does get players he squeezes everything out of them then discards them when the still have value. Kinda think we would need his GM from his early days too though

It’s obvious to me, kept BB.  When he left he took almost the entire staff with him.  That’s was the building block to the Patriots success. 
it would not be unreasonable to think the success would’ve been relatively the same after that point, but the jets instead.  Basically if all decisions he and the organization made after that point were the same and only teams were different, it would’ve been a Jet Dynasty the past 20 years and not the Pats…….

Semper Fi 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good choice.  Good football, great food.  And if you're any semblance of a soccer fan there's arguably no better soccer city in the US.

Always enjoyed my time in KC. Used to go out several times a year on a case I was working on

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jet hustle said:

You forgot Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp

Good point!  Though as awful as it was, I don't think it's even in the class of these other options.  Heck, Jerry Rice hasn't even gotten 1 vote. 

But if I make a new poll (adding Trevor), I'll probably add Sapp in there too.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Where is Mahomes over Adams choice?

That's a good question.  Not sure how I left it out.  Maybe it didn't feel realistic at the time that the Jets would've gone in that direction, whereas they expressed interest in these other scenarios.   Though, tbf, I maybe they were never tied to Jerry Rice.

Marino, it is the only one that would have won us SBs for certain.  I think there is either a lot of senility or collective ignorance here:

1-Marino was picked low of the 1st rd QBs that year because of suspected drug use

2-Belichek is GARBAGE in my opinion and always will be; he sucked in CLE and has NEVER been over .500 without Brady, who carried him throughout his career.  BB is BY FAR the most over-rated figure in pro-sports, player or coach, I've ever seen.

3-Peyton was NEVER coming to the Jets, IIRC he stated in the press he was not going to play for the Jets and stayed in college an extra year just to avoid them, and it might have had to do with not wanting to play for Parcells, who was tough on QBs (remember Phil Simms, anyone?)

4-Brady is the only instance we had a chance since the others were selected before us, so this is a would have/could have. I just know for a fact that if we had Marino in '86 we were winning the SB, period.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:22 PM, predator_05 said:

Keeping belichick should have been easy.

All he needed was the assurance of stability from ownership. He had concerns about james dolan and woody johnson. The concerns could have been addressed ahead of time.

WTF would anyone want BB? He has never been above .500 without Brady, ever. He is an idiot and so over-rated, it grates on me. Part of the reason I stopped watching the NFL and embraced other sports from the early 2000s onward was BB getting all this media attention and the Pats winning with so many ridiculous favorable officiating calls (tuck rule, anyone?) or slaps on the wrist for cheating.

On 5/18/2020 at 12:39 AM, Jet Nut said:

He wanted to play for Parcells, he wanted to play for the Jets, he wanted to play in New York, but he didn’t want to declare for the draft and then be concerned that Parcells would trade the pick.

This is patently false. The Mannings openly stated Peyton did not want to come to NY, and is why he stayed in college, under the expectation the Jets would not win the 1st pick three years in a row.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2021/11/27/colts-peyton-manning-screwed-jets-manningcast/

On 5/18/2020 at 7:54 AM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

That's a strange and irrelevant take to say the least. Marino was head and shoulders above all three. If you lived those years as I did, it was a no brainer. Marino was HOF. Just a great QB. 

Correct.  Younger people who were not around in the 80s to see Montana, Elway, and Marino dominate the league in ways that could not compare to current QBs have no clue how good these guys were.

• Upvote 1

Can we end the Peyton nonsense already, he was NEVER coming to the Jets:

"We were hoping he’d come out of Tennessee early in '97 because we all thought he’d be a Jet," former cornerback Ray Mickens said the other day. "I’m still upset about that decision. I think we could’ve won a championship or two with that group of players. It was brutal, just brutal. There were a lot of conspiracy theories floating around. His dad orchestrated a lot of things, and some people think his dad didn’t want Peyton playing for Parcells because Parcells was, quote-unquote, a quarterback killer. That was one of the conspiracy theories. People still ask me about that (decision). It still hurts to this day.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58809/cheers-shock-and-relief-the-day-peyton-manning-spurned-the-jets

On 5/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, JetsFanatic said:

The obvious answer is Marino, he was on the board and we passed him for a Division II QB. Ridiculous move. 

Yup. Its the obvious,  no brainer answer. Would have completely changed the perception and history of the Jets over a 40 year period. 

Marino with Toon, Walker, McNeil AND the Sack Exchange? Please. Multiple SBs. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yup. Its the obvious,  no brainer answer. Would have completely changed the perception and history of the Jets over a 40 year period. 

Marino with Toon, Walker, McNeil AND the Sack Exchange? Please. Multiple SBs. 

Why not Lawrence Taylor to go along with the Sack Exchange?  That's not multiple SBs?

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Good point!  Though as awful as it was, I don't think it's even in the class of these other options.  Heck, Jerry Rice hasn't even gotten 1 vote. 

But if I make a new poll (adding Trevor), I'll probably add Sapp in there too.  

If Al Toon was drafted by the 49ers, he would be the one in the HoF. No Jets fan regrets that pick.