POLL: Given the opportunity, which one of these events in Jets' history would you change?

Given the opportunity, which one of these events in Jets' history would you change?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Given the opportunity, which one of these events in Jets' history would you change?

• Jets draft Marino instead of O'Brien
    • Jets draft Brett Favre (in other words, pretend the Falcons didn't take him 1 slot ahead of us)
    • Belichick would've stayed on as HC of the NYJ for the long-term
    • Jets draft Peyton Manning (in other words, he would've had to leave after let's say his Junior season and Parcells would've taken him)
    • Jets draft Tom Brady (as per their scout who supposedly pleaded with Parcells to take him)
    • Jets draft Russell Wilson (who Bradway supposedly "pounded the table" for)
    • Jets draft Lawrence Taylor (who we missed out on by getting a meaningless win over the Dolphins in the "no announcers" game)
    • Jets draft Jerry Rice over Al Toon
    • None of the above ("Eeyore!")

3 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

Correct.  Younger people who were not around in the 80s to see Montana, Elway, and Marino dominate the league in ways that could not compare to current QBs have no clue how good these guys were.

Marino was the greatest passer I have ever seen. While drafting Kenny O instead was one of the biggest Draft mistakes the Jets ever made, he was still a good to very good NFL QB. It's really a shame that he is remembered as being the guy we took instead of Marino. It wasn't his fault the Jets picked him.

And let's be honest, if Zach Wilson were half as good as Kenny O, the Jets would have already clinched a playoff spot.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Marino was the greatest passer I have ever seen. While drafting Kenny O instead was one of the biggest Draft mistakes the Jets ever made, he was still a good to very good NFL QB. It's really a shame that he is remembered as being the guy we took instead of Marino. It wasn't his fault the Jets picked him.

And let's be honest, if Zach Wilson were half as good as Kenny O, the Jets would have already clinched a playoff spot.

2nd best QB in Jets history.  

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's a good question.  Not sure how I left it out.  Maybe it didn't feel realistic at the time that the Jets would've gone in that direction, whereas they expressed interest in these other scenarios.   Though, tbf, I maybe they were never tied to Jerry Rice.

More realistic that we would’ve taken Mahomes — who was on the board — than some of these options that require teams before us to pass on guys they ended up taking.

Good poll, though!

6 hours ago, y2k8 said:

If Al Toon was drafted by the 49ers, he would be the one in the HoF. No Jets fan regrets that pick.

So there was no difference between Toon and Rice, other than the team they played for?!   Rice's legendary work ethic was irrelevant?!  

2 hours ago, jgb said:

More realistic that we would’ve taken Mahomes — who was on the board — than some of these options that require teams before us to pass on guys they ended up taking.

Good poll, though!

I kind of viewed it a different way.  I feel like the Jets were never rumored to take Mahomes (maybe I'm wrong?) whereas they were tied to most of these other names (except for maybe Rice).

BB was HC of the NYJ

Ron Wolf (our personnel director, who became Packers GM) badly wanted Favre but he was taken 1 pick ahead of us by Atlanta

Peyton stayed in school 2 straight years when we had the #1 pick in the draft.  

Supposedly the Jets had scouts that wanted Russell Wilson (Bradway pounded the table) and Tom Brady (scout Jesse Kaye)

Marino was the expected pick for the Jets.  Even Rozelle trolled Jet fans with "Jets select quarterback (long pause)..."

LT was the consensus #1 pick though he did last until #2 (which would've been ours had we not won a meaningless game against Miami the final week of the season).

https://nypost.com/2013/12/08/russell-wilson-nearly-was-a-jet/

image.png.e956843fd88813cd687337946c414f66.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Taylor

image.png.cab23964f38d31e6c70e3fdbbf25b34b.png

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I kind of viewed it a different way.  I feel like the Jets were never rumored to take Mahomes (maybe I'm wrong?) whereas they were tied to most of these other names (except for maybe Rice).

BB was HC of the NYJ

Ron Wolf (our personnel director, who became Packers GM) badly wanted Favre but he was taken 1 pick ahead of us by Atlanta

Peyton stayed in school 2 straight years when we had the #1 pick in the draft.  

Supposedly the Jets had scouts that wanted Russell Wilson (Bradway pounded the table) and Tom Brady (scout Jesse Kaye)

Marino was the expected pick for the Jets.  Even Rozelle trolled Jet fans with "Jets select quarterback (long pause)..."

LT was the consensus #1 pick though he did last until #2 (which would've been ours had we not won a meaningless game against Miami the final week of the season).

https://nypost.com/2013/12/08/russell-wilson-nearly-was-a-jet/

image.png.e956843fd88813cd687337946c414f66.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Taylor

image.png.cab23964f38d31e6c70e3fdbbf25b34b.png

You leave out your Favre and LT options, which is the two my comment was referring to :) 

Look it’s a good poll but not complete without taking Allen over Darnold or Mahomes over Adams IMHO

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

You leave out your Favre and LT options, which is the two my comment was referring to :) 

Look it’s a good poll but not complete without taking Allen over Darnold or Mahomes over Adams IMHO

Not sure what you mean by this.  I did mention both in my post above.

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

My bad. Excluding Mahomes and Allen means I vote other.

Fair enough.  But were the Jets seriously even considering Mahomes that year? IIRC, they were waiting for the next draft class (the Darnold draft class), which they felt had stronger QBs.  So putting Mahomes as an option feels like a stretch to me.

Josh Allen you could make an argument for but we passed on him.  While the same is true of Marino, wasn't he rumored to go to the Jets that year?  I don't think Jet fans clamored for Josh Allen, nor do I remember reading that he was seriously considered over Sam.  Pretty sure I read that the Jets waited the 10 minutes (or whatever it was) before turning in their draft card because the NFL asked them to in order to build up drama.  But they knew they were taking Sam.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

This is patently false. The Mannings openly stated Peyton did not want to come to NY, and is why he stayed in college, under the expectation the Jets would not win the 1st pick three years in a row.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2021/11/27/colts-peyton-manning-screwed-jets-manningcast/

Archie wanted a guarantee out of his friend Parcells that he wouldn’t trade the pick.  They were deathly afraid NO would offer a trade that Parcells couldn’t/wouldn’t pass up, apparently NO would have offered their draft for Peyton.  Parcells was trying to rebuild the team couldn’t guarantee that he wouldn’t trade the top pick for a haul.  He would have preferred to but just wouldn’t tell Archie that he was taking Peyton if he came out.  

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fair enough.  But were the Jets seriously even considering Mahomes that year? IIRC, they were waiting for the next draft class (the Darnold draft class), which they felt had stronger QBs.  So putting Mahomes as an option feels like a stretch to me.

Josh Allen you could make an argument for but we passed on him.  While the same is true of Marino, wasn't he rumored to go to the Jets that year?  I don't think Jet fans clamored for Josh Allen, nor do I remember reading that he was seriously considered over Sam.  Pretty sure I read that the Jets waited the 10 minutes (or whatever it was) before turning in their draft card because the NFL asked them to in order to build up drama.  But they knew they were taking Sam.

I guess I just don’t understand the rules of the universe you created for the poll :)

Anyway, nice job.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I guess I just don’t understand the rules of the universe you created for the poll :)

Anyway, nice job.

I tried to choose options that were the most realistic (though, admittedly, the Jerry Rice one was forced) where there was some actual "heat" between the player and the team (and, to some extent, the fans).

I don't think Mahomes and Allen were that realistic for the Jets, other than us wanting the team to draft one of them (using our 20/20 hindsight).  But when we have a head of personnel (Ron Wolf) who desperately wanted Favre or a Senior Director of College Scouting (Terry Bradway) "pounding the table" for Russell Wilson then it seems more realistic to me.  

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So there was no difference between Toon and Rice, other than the team they played for?!   Rice's legendary work ethic was irrelevant?!  

Rice gets props for longevity, but in an alternate universe, I don't know who would be the "better" WR. 

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Rice gets props for longevity, but in an alternate universe, I don't know who would be the "better" WR. 

Really?  Jerry Rice is the unquestioned GOAT WR.  I've never heard anyone put Al Toon in his class.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ToonAl00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceJe00.htm

Really?  Jerry Rice is the unquestioned GOAT WR.  I've never heard anyone put Al Toon in his class.  

Rice is not only the best WR ever to play ... Most likely the best football player ever.

Toon .. a guy I loved growing up... Was not in the same stratosphere

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I loved Ken O, but he was sack and mistake-prone - not to the same degree as ZW, but he would also hold the ball way too long and seemingly had little pocket presence.

Compare them to Mahomes who seems to have a 6th/spiderman sense when to step up, roll to the side, run forward, etc. whenever the pocket is collapsing.  Yes, he is a HOF, world-class QB and neither ZW or Ken O is in his class, but using Mahomes as the model makes you as a fan dream of what it would be like to have a GREAT QB, for once.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes, I'm familiar with JR's stats. Now imagine Al Toon a 49er and Jerry Rice a Jet and tell me these stats wouldn't look a lot different if Toon's QBs were Montana and Young.

Toon was absolutely in Rice's class talent-wise. 

2 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Yes, I'm familiar with JR's stats. Now imagine Al Toon a 49er and Jerry Rice a Jet and tell me these stats wouldn't look a lot different if Toon's QBs were Montana and Young.

Toon was absolutely in Rice's class talent-wise. 

maybe, but he didn't. Potential is far different than results.

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

maybe, but he didn't. Potential is far different than results.

Agreed. But the OP thought it curious that zero people here voted for Toon instead of the GOAT of WRs in his poll. It's because Toon was a world-class talent only limited by his circumstances and subsequent head injuries). 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

Agreed. But the OP thought it curious that zero people here voted for Toon instead of the GOAT of WRs in his poll. It's because Toon was a world-class talent only limited by his circumstances and subsequent head injuries). 

Toon was very talented but I can't put him in Jerry Rice's category.

Just now, y2k8 said:

Oh. Yes, I didn't read the earlier posts. I totally agree with you. No one has a crystal ball and Rice could have very well been on par (or below) with Toon stat-wise had he been a Jet.

• 11 months later...