What other people think about Adams...

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tough call. On the one hand, you get an extra first and second rounder. On the other hand, you can give $90 million dollars to someone who produced 61 tackles and a garbage time INT last year.

And by tough call you mean who to take with extra picks.

• Upvote 3

it comes down to the size of the deal.  imo, anything that at least doesn't approach the value of the 6th pick in a draft should be tossed.  a 1st adn 2nd rounder sounds good but from what team.  the chiefs?  that would be closer to a 2nd and 3rd.

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Tough call. On the one hand, you get an extra first and second rounder. On the other hand, you can give $90 million dollars to someone who produced 61 tackles and a garbage time INT last year.

Well the Jets paid Trumaine Johnson that kind of money. At least Adams will come closer to earning it.

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I agree that you don’t trade All Pro, high impact players like Jamal Adams. He’s asking to be paid as one of the top safeties in the league. There’s nothing unreasonable about that. 

I think he’s asking to at least be paid as the top safety in the league. Probably more because he feels he’s just an elite player regardless of position.

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Weak negotiator -- the Jets have leverage since he's under contract.  They can just play him on his current deal.  If someone like Jerry Jones is hot for Jamal, then make him pay a premium for a proven commodity.  Draft picks, even in the early rounds, are speculative. Maybe you'd like to avoid that risk factor by just trading him for some magic beans?

32 minutes ago, derp said:

I think he’s asking to at least be paid as the top safety in the league. Probably more because he feels he’s just an elite player regardless of position.

As with any player, there’s a limit to what you pay. If his demands are beyond what the top safety is making, then the negotiation changes. 

Byard (14.1) Mathieu (14)and Collins (14) are the highest paid safeties in the league. I’m gonna say Jamal Adams is worth that much per season. But if he asks for a lot more than that, say, 16 million per season or more? I will be less adamant about keeping him if we can pull off a deal for fair compensation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

As with any player, there’s a limit to what you pay. If his demands are beyond what the top safety is making, then the negotiation changes. 

Byard (14.1) Mathieu (14)and Collins (14) are the highest paid safeties in the league. I’m gonna say Jamal Adams is worth that much per season. But if he asks for a lot more than that, say, 16 million per season or more? I will be less adamant about keeping him if we can pull off a deal for fair compensation. 

I think that’s a pretty reasonable take. Negotiations are hard. Right now the Jets can control him for what - three more seasons at a total of like $29-32M allowing for a $12M-$15M range for the 2022 safety franchise tag (2020 was like $11.5M). Maybe less on the tag if revenues cause the cap to drop?

Say his fair market value is at highest paid safety, $15M - which is probably in between his asking price and what the Jets are offering. If the Jets offer him a four year, $60M extension right now there basically gaining a year of team control that they’re paying about $30M for. It just doesn’t really make sense. I’d guess they’re willing to go like four years, $50M which gives him two years of raises and still makes that fourth year of control expensive. And I’m positive he rejects that.

It’d be easier after this season when there’s one year less of control and a four year, $60M extension essentially amounts to two years and $35-$38M of new money which is a little more palatable. But I’m not sure he even takes that and the damage is probably going to be done by then since he’s an emotional guy and not shy about speaking his mind.

If there’s a season it’ll be interesting to see if he keeps his level of play and if he’s the leader of the defense or if it ends up being Mosley.

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

I don't consider a 1st and a 2nd to be a real haul for a proven impact player entering his prime.  I'm not suggesting we get a Herschel Walker level haul but if I'm moving Adams I'd want a very lopsided return.

We aren't getting a "real haul" for a safety. 

I think Adams is a terrific player and I often defend him on this site because I think he's really talented and plays the game with a tenacity that I wish every Jet played with, but strong safety just isn't that important of a position.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to devote major draft capital and/or financial assets to a hybrid strong safety/linebacker. 

Anyone who advocates trading Adams is one of those old foolish executives from the Jets past that personally drove this organization in the toilet. I mean there's a reason why the Jets have sucked for so long, right? It's those pro trade Adams people that claim they can get so much in return. Meanwhile those same people can't draft their way out of a wet paper bag. So in the end the Jets are out of a generational type plAyer in favor of zero in return. I only hope JD is smart enough to ignore those idgets.

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Anyone who advocates trading Adams is one of those old foolish executives from the Jets past that personally drove this organization in the toilet. I mean there's a reason why the Jets have sucked for so long, right? It's those pro trade Adams people that claim they can get so much in return. Meanwhile those same people can't draft their way out of a wet paper bag. So in the end the Jets are out of a generational type plAyer in favor of zero in return. I only hope JD is smart enough to ignore those idgets.

'Generational type player', for gods sakes

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, David Harris said:

All this noise from the fans and prognosticators, such as waste of energy.

Adams will be resigned long term by the jets. He’ll make some noise, JD will franchise him retaining his rights, and then sign him eventually.

cry, whine, whatever- it’s happening

upvote for high probability 

A one and two sounds good but from whom is more important. I imagine the cowboys picks will not be at can't miss levels. For that reason I think them a bad fit for the Jets side of things. We need a team where the pick has the potential to be top fifteen in first round imo. Either that or a great team offers two first rounders. Sounds crazy but I think the Cowboys net u a very low first. I would pass.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

lol.  And he goes on to complain about the people who want to trade Adams saying we "can't draft".  If it were up to us we'd have drafted Watson/Mahomes over Adams in the first place and be in pretty good shape right now.  

54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

All I can say is.... You're as lost as your name "beerfish" would indicate. Jamal Adams is every bit as good as common and known NFL greats like Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed. In fact, thus far Jamal Adams statistics are BETTER than Reed and Polamalu. Meanwhile, those respective teams wouldn't have even thought of trading such excellent players. They won super bowls with those players.

So honestly just some advice for you.... If you thought you had built some sort of credibility within the poster ranks because of something you perceive you were ahead of the curve on in the past? Well, you're NOT. You are in fact dead wrong and you are embarrassing yourself at this point. If you continue on this path, soon enough your name will be synonymous with punchline posters like Jack the Ripper, Shasta, and PatsfanKen. 

In closing, it's a great relief to know that Joe Douglas probably would find comic relief out of any post you make. Thank God he obviously knows better.

• Post of the Week 1