Incentivizing Minority Hiring through Draft Position

I think it’s a great idea. 70 percent of the players in the league are African American. It’s an absolute joke that there are so few head coaches and GMs. 

What’s more infuriating is that guys like Adam Gase immediately get a second chance. 

• Thumb Down 12
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

Maybe we should also incentivize signing white players then? Just so that everything is fair?

i think this is dumb. It’s 2020, hire the best person regardless of skin color. 

Thank you.  There is so much at stake now that anyone who thinks that a HC candidate even though he is the right choice is not getting the job because he is black is rediculously dumb. I don't  think an owner would care if the right guy came from mating cattle. 

• Upvote 2

12% of the US population is African American so according to those numbers 12% of the coaches and GM's should be AA - what's the percentage? ALSO if 70% of the NFL players are African Americans and they are only 12% of the population is what does that tell you - it tells you that teams are NOT concerned with Ethnicity but they are only concerned with hiring the best persons for the job - are whites complaining? So it goes the same way with coaches and GM's - you hire who is best person for the position. Thats it! There should be no arguments here at all. Period! Done!

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Thank you.  There is so much at stake now that anyone who thinks that a HC candidate even though he is the right choice is not getting the job because he is black is rediculously dumb. I don't  think an owner would care if the right guy came from mating cattle. 

NFL owners predominately geriatric white billionaires. They have proven to be among the most out of touch people on the planet. 

• Thumb Down 3
4 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

also teams that already have minority head coaches ( pitt, washington, san diego etc) get penalized when a team with a new minority hire moves ahead of them in the draft - how does this make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The league should penalize teams for hiring terrible white coaches like Mike Mularkey and Adam Gase. 

• Thumb Down 4
37 minutes ago, FiremanEd52 said:

I think it’s a great idea. 70 percent of the players in the league are African American. It’s an absolute joke that there are so few head coaches and GMs. 

What’s more infuriating is that guys like Adam Gase immediately get a second chance. 

The Jets have had two black HCs in the last 20 years so while you could argue the Gase hiring on its own merits, that is not the hire to wave the finger at.  It's unfortunate that those two HCs were just an unsuccessful as everyone else we've hired and fired in that time.   And FWIW, Herm got a second chance in KC.  And Marvin Lewis got 20 years of second chances in CIN.  The numbers aren't great, but it's not like it used to be.  

The problem may be more about coaching trees.  Everyone wants the next Belichick or the next Reid.  That's how you get the Giants hiring a WR coach to be their HC.  That should work well.  But back to the issue, right now, that leaves Bienemy as the only minority coordinator on those two teams.  The solution has to bubble up from the lower ranks.  When there are more coordinators of color, there will eventually be more head coaches of color.  The NFL just changed the Rooney rule to include coordinator interviews so maybe that will move things along.  

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Steve Wilks gets fired after 1 season and half the board sees no problem with the NFL and race. Laughable.

They also got rid of (white, Jewish 1st round pick) Josh Rosen, and hired an air raid coach to pair with an air raid (and black) QB... what’s your point?

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
2 minutes ago, J_Smith said:

They also got rid of (white, Jewish 1st round pick) Josh Rosen, and hired an air raid coach to pair with an air raid (and black) QB... what’s your point?

Plus the Cleveland Browns drafted a vertically inhibited QB first overall

• Like 1

That this is a problem worth trying to fix. And the response to that here is people frothing at the mouth and yelling about reverse racism.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Not enough black people in golf. Not enough white people in basketball. Not enough Mexicans in hockey. None of these things are actual issues, and neither is the percentage of white/black/whatever players/coaches/GMs in football.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That this is a problem worth trying to fix. And the response to that here is people frothing at the mouth and yelling about reverse racism.

Not much of a frothy guy, i prefer logical discussion

1 hour ago, FiremanEd52 said:

Where were you on the Bowles fiasco?

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Steve Wilks gets fired after 1 season and half the board sees no problem with the NFL and race. Laughable.

Because its not a problem unless you want to invent a problem.  Coaches get fired early, has happened before.  

Why can it happen to a black coach exactly? If youre black theres a minimum time you nee to be heading up the team?  Never mind his teams sucked ass

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree. Also agree with intent of Rooney rule which when taken seriously by a team gets qualified people interview opportunities and increases their chance of hire. This new rule , though, seems to create more problems then it solves and would be difficult to apply fairly. Anthony Lynn, who probably benefited by the Rooney rule doesn’t  think this will work. I don’t have any solutions and would like to see some way to increase minority hiring but I don’t like this rule. 

• Like 1

What’s the magic number for the amount of black coaches hired - is it 12% based on population or 70% based on the number of blacks playing football?

the reality should be the best person for the job which may include someone who busted their tail since college trying to learn the game. Regardless of color. There is a difference between a coach’s learning curve and  skill set and in the vast majority of cases their experiences versus  a player. Many players cannot make the transition to head coach.  Bill Belichick was not an overnight wonder, was not great player rather he busted his ass to learn and study the game, did the dirty jobs coming up the ranks  and become a coach. The numbers of  black or white players is irrelevant. 

Now if one of the requirements to be a head coach was that you had to have NFL experience as a player then there might be room for an argument 

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

What’s the magic number for the amount of black coaches hired - is it 12% based on population or 70% based on the number of blacks playing football?

the reality should be the best person for the job which may include someone who busted their tail since college trying to learn the game. Regardless of color. There is a difference between a coach’s learning curve and  skill set and in the vast majority of cases their experiences versus  a player. Many players cannot make the transition to head coach.  Bill Belichick was not an overnight wonder, was not great player rather he busted his ass to learn and study the game, did the dirty jobs coming up the ranks  and become a coach. The numbers of  black or white players is irrelevant. 

Now if one of the requirements to be a head coach was that you had to have NFL experience as a player then there might be room for an argument 

I get what you’re saying, but I’m not sure If Its really relevant however.

There have always been plenty of black coaches at various levels, from high school, college and as assistants in the pros. Is it really possible so few of these men are qualified?

Im convinced the problem, if there really is one, is with ownership. If the league really wants to diversify, that’s where it has to start.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Todd bowles got 4 years and stunk as a coach.  If a guy is good the team is not going to fire him.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Todd bowles got 4 years and stunk as a coach.  If a guy is good the team is not going to fire him.

Todd got a fair shake here. 

So did Herm..

The Jets have nothing to explain to anyone when it comes to their hiring practices.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

oh, hey, this topic again...

at least it's another chance for me, a white man, to get upset about something that hasn't (and isn't likely) to happen. My favorite past time.

I'm just hoping we get some Walrus insight again because the last one got closed down and I was genuinely interested in what the flippered mammal population had to say about this issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, J_Smith said:

Maybe we should also incentivize signing white players then? Just so that everything is fair?

i think this is dumb. It’s 2020, hire the best person regardless of skin color. 

Judge Court GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I get what you’re saying, but I’m not sure If Its really relevant however.

There have always been plenty of black coaches at various levels, from high school, college and as assistants in the pros. Is it really possible so few of these men are qualified?

Im convinced the problem, if there really is one, is with ownership. If the league really wants to diversify, that’s where it has to start.

This is still America. Then buy one of the teams, easier said then done.

• Thumb Down 1
I agree. Also agree with intent of Rooney rule which when taken seriously by a team gets qualified people interview opportunities and increases their chance of hire. This new rule , though, seems to create more problems then it solves and would be difficult to apply fairly. Anthony Lynn, who probably benefited by the Rooney rule doesn’t  think this will work. I don’t have any solutions and would like to see some way to increase minority hiring but I don’t like this rule. 

The first step in the solution is easy. More coach training programs like the one Hines Ward got with the Jets.

The harder part is incentivizing more teams to hire black/minority QB Coaches. More Byron Leftwich types are needed.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, FiremanEd52 said:

The league should penalize teams for hiring terrible white coaches like Mike Mularkey and Adam Gase. 

Don't worry. Those kinds of decisions usually end up penalizing themselves.

3 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Not enough black people in golf. Not enough white people in basketball. Not enough Mexicans in hockey. None of these things are actual issues, and neither is the percentage of white/black/whatever players/coaches/GMs in football.

Exactly. You know, it's these exact types of conversations that just illuminate who the true racists are. Real non-racists, much like myself, don't even see color, not even their own. People tell me I'm white because I use words like "okey-dokey" and "malarkey" and I believe them. So, in my view this whole "racial disparity" malarkey doesn't even exist, because we're all just people, just doing our thing, and that's okey-dokey with me.

6 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

So over, under, on this thread getting  locked before page 3?

Totally the under. Poor Slats is at the end of his rope with these threads.

• Upvote 1