NFL Expands Rooney Rule

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2020/05/19/NFL-expands-Rooney-Rule-to-require-two-minority-candidate-interviews/8721589891368/

May 19 (UPI) -- The NFL will change its Rooney Rule to require at least two interviews with external, minority candidates for future head coaching opportunities. The change will go into effect immediately.

TLDR:  Teams will be mandated to interview two minority candidates, not just one.

Please, for Max, and for the community, PLEASE keep politics out of this thread.  You know it's not allowed.  You know racism isn't allowed. 

Football talk only.  This is football news, keep it on the football effects.

Minority is too much of an ambiguous word nowadays. The number one minority in America are white women and gay white man. Also midgets, one eye, one armed people, are also minorities. I think it would be beneficial to have it be the original american minority or straight up say black people.

But all together I think it's silly for blacks to complain about affirmative action. Just make your own league. Back during segregation they had no choice and those leagues thrived until they placed too much cream in their coffee.

• Thumb Down 9

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I'm glad they didn't do the draft pick idea, but just doubling down on a rule that wasn't really working in the first place seems like a weak compromise.

In theory, it makes it more difficult for teams to interview "token" candidates, especially internal token candidates.

Teams seen doing so will be more blatant and obvious if they do.

Gee, can't wait to see where this thread goes! 

Like every attempt to legislate equality, this one is clunky and probably won't be completely effective. The Rooney Rule seemed to be losing steam as teams worked their way around it, so now they're effectively trying to give it a couple more teeth. The intent is the right one, though. Geez, just look at the Jets. Think there aren't 100 black dudes who'd be better offensive coordinators than Dowell Loggains? I'm hoping they apply the rule retroactively. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 2

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2020/05/19/NFL-expands-Rooney-Rule-to-require-two-minority-candidate-interviews/8721589891368/

TLDR:  Teams will be mandated to interview two minority candidates, not just one.

Please, for Max, and for the community, PLEASE keep politics out of this thread.  You know it's not allowed.  You know racism isn't allowed. 

I guess I dont understand the NFL thinking.   Is forcing you to interview more minorities more likely to open the owners eyes to hiring one?   And in a league that is so competitive, do they think exceptional coaches are being ignored because owners want “white guys”  ?   I mean Todd Bowles and Herm Edwards both got extended shots here, and there are many minority position coaches-  why does Johnson need to prove he isnt a racist with every hiring?   And if we want to push the abdurdity why not push this to the next level and demand every position needs to consider minority candidates, whether its a trainer, coach or qb??

I think this is more about appearances and trying to appease players association than anything else.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, slats said:

Gee, can't wait to see where this thread goes! 

Like every attempt to legislate equality, this one is clunky and probably won't be completely effective. The Rooney Rule seemed to be losing steam as teams worked their way around it, so now they're effectively trying to give it a couple more teeth. The intent is the right one, though. Geez, just look at the Jets. Think there aren't 100 black dudes who'd be better offensive coordinators than Dowell Loggains? I'm hoping they apply the rule retroactively. 

Not sure the Jets are the best example. We are likely near the top of the league in having minority head coaches and assistant coaches over the years. But still it is not reperesentative of the mix of players in the NFL. Even though more players are minorities does that mean more minorities want to be coaches? That is not definitely a direct correlation. In the end the teams will still choos whoever the best candidate in their mind and they will just have a second charade interview before doing the hire. Rooney rule is not the way to address the issue.

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

I guess I dont understand the NFL thinking.   Is forcing you to interview more minorities more likely to open the owners eyes to hiring one?

Yes, the league most likely thinks so.

And in a league that is so competitive, do they think exceptional coaches are being ignored because owners want “white guys”  ?

Yes, the league most likely thinks so.  Racism and access/opportunity bias exists, even in ultracompetative environments.

I mean Todd Bowles and Herm Edwards both got extended shots here, and there are many minority position coaches-  why does Johnson need to prove he isnt a racist with every hiring?

Because the League says so. 

Because the league is aware of the demographic shifts in the United States, as well as the current racism environment, and as a smart for-profit enterprise, and doing what they think they must to appease minority fans and politicians.

A counterquestion:  How is Mr. Johnson harmed by this rule?

And if we want to push the abdurdity why not push this to the next level and demand every position needs to consider minority candidates, whether its a trainer, coach or qb??

Wait a while, we'll get there (for non-player jobs) soon enough.

Players will never have that issue.  Because minority players are already materially over-represented in the NFL.

I think this is more about appearances and trying to appease players association than anything else.

It's certainly a factor, yes.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure the Jets are the best example. We are likely near the top of the league in having minority head coaches and assistant coaches over the years. But still it is not reperesentative of the mix of players in the NFL. Even though more players are minorities does that mean more minorities want to be coaches? That is not definitely a direct correlation. In the end the teams will still choos whoever the best candidate in their mind and they will just have a second charade interview before doing the hire. Rooney rule is not the way to address the issue.

I just think that Dowell Loggains sucks, and that if Gase had been forced to interview two minority candidates, maybe he would've found someone more qualified than his buddy. 

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I guess I dont understand the NFL thinking.   Is forcing you to interview more minorities more likely to open the owners eyes to hiring one?   And in a league that is so competitive, do they think exceptional coaches are being ignored because owners want “white guys”  ?   I mean Todd Bowles and Herm Edwards both got extended shots here, and there are many minority position coaches-  why does Johnson need to prove he isnt a racist with every hiring?   And if we want to push the abdurdity why not push this to the next level and demand every position needs to consider minority candidates, whether its a trainer, coach or qb??

Do you actually believe the purpose of the Rooney rule is for owners to prove they aren't racist?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes, I remember when that wiped out racism in America. 

And that's as political as I intend to get before this thread's eventual locking. 

Warfish starts controversial  threads that he knows will probably be locked which is why I think he should change his name to Warlock..B)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, slats said:

I just think that Dowell Loggains sucks, and that if Gase had been forced to interview two minority candidates, maybe he would've found someone more qualified than his buddy. 

I dont see where we know enough about him to decide one way or another. Loggains sounds intelligent in the couple press conferences he has done and Darnold seems to like him but jury definitely out. Let's see how he does with a much improved offensive uinit

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Warfish starts controversial  threads that he knows will probably be locked which is why I think he should change his name to Warlock..B)

Till Max decides to ban discussion of the Rooney Rule altogether here, changes to it are still football news. 

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, the league most likely thinks so.

Yes, the league most likely thinks so.  Racism and access/opportunity bias exists, even in ultracompetative environments.

Because the League says so. 

Because the league is aware of the demographic shifts in the United States, as well as the current racism environment, and as a smart for-profit enterprise, and doing what they think they must to appease minority fans and politicians.

A counterquestion:  How is Mr. Johnson harmed by this rule?

Wait a while, we'll get there (for non-player jobs) soon enough.

Players will never have that issue.  Because minority players are already materially over-represented in the NFL.

It's certainly a factor, yes.

Yeah I get that this is league mandated.  My point is that its a stupid mandate. 

It is their league, but Im allowed to have an opinion on how they run it, same as all the other new rules they add every year.

As far as Mr. Johnson goes, Id suggest that mandating these rules kind of point to the owners being racist, which is insulting if you are clearly not.

59 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes, but Dowell is a Hobbit and the only representative of Middle Earth in the NFL. 

That Hobbit has done very nicely for himself. Got to be a QB at a major college, married a cheerleader, and has gone on to climb the NFL coaching ranks.

I suspect Gandalf may have been helping him out here.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I get that this is league mandated.  My point is that its a stupid mandate. 

Like most things, that's in the eye of the beholder.

I always thought drug testing for pot was a stupid mandate/rule myself.  It has no effect whatsoever on competitive balance.  yet the league did it for ages.  

It is their league, but Im allowed to have an opinion on how they run it, same as all the other new rules they add every year.

Yup, everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinions, no doubt about that.

28 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Do you actually believe the purpose of the Rooney rule is for owners to prove they aren't racist?

Id say that the point of this rule was to show the community that the NFL isnt racist and is sensitive to the needs of the minority community.  Minorities were hired before this rule was implemented, so tell me what you think it was implemented for?   

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Like most things, that's in the eye of the beholder.

I always thought drug testing for pot was a stupid mandate/rule myself.  It has no effect whatsoever on competitive balance.  yet the league did it for ages.  

What do you think of this rule?  If one is good, two interviews are better?  If so, then three or four would be better than two, so why not that mandate?  At what point do YOU think this gets stupid?

• Upvote 1

I've said it before about the Rooney rule... Any good businessman is going to choose the best candidate regardless of skin color. If a team deliberately chooses candidates based on the color of someone's skin they won't be a very good football team or business that's for sure. These extra interviews also just wastes everyone's time. It doesn't show the owner isn't racist and if anything it can be detrimental to minorities because perspective candidates of color or whatever will just be participating in an interview where they are not going to get the job anyways and could otherwise be applying for positions they could reasonably get. It's usually decided before the applicant walks in the door. 

• Upvote 2

I'll be more inclined to believe this is an issue when we're presented with real-life examples of minorities being "looked over".  I mean, look at how the media jumped ALL OVER the Colin Kapernick thing.  Whether you believe that's a race issue or not is irrelevant -- they LOVE putting a face to the cause, yet they don't seem able to do that here?  It's always some ambiguous "there should be more minorities!!!" based on general statistics, the same statistics that imply there's TOO MANY minority athletes!

I'm not saying those examples aren't out there,  just that I haven't seen them, which is interesting seeing as this is "such a big issue" . . .

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Politics not allowed. Accusing people of racism because they disagree with you is huh? What a ******* turd.

• Post of the Week 1