Most underappreciated player for each NFL team (Jets - Brian Poole)

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-most-underappreciated-players-one-for-each-afc-team

NFL's most underappreciated players: One for each AFC team

Headshot_Author_Cynthia-Frelund_1400x1000

Cynthia Frelund

NFL NETWORK ANALYTICS EXPERT

With that in mind, here's how I came up with my list of 2019's most underappreciated players: First, I calculated and then ranked each player's season-long contribution metric by team. To sum it up without getting overly technical, contribution metric measures each player's production during the 2019 season. The metric encompasses a value for every snap by each player and reveals each player's contribution to the team's overall win total. After making those calculations, I ranked each player's salary by position (contract data via the Over The Cap) to add some context around who was being "underappreciated." I gave priority to players who did not switch teams this offseason (since it's hard to be underappreciated by a team you haven't played for yet). Then I weighted players drafted in Round 2 or later who have been to no more than two Pro Bowls. However, the most critical component to this method is contribution metric.

New York Jets
New York Jets
·

Brian Poole

Brian Poole
· CB

According to PFF, Poole allowed just a 71.6 passer rating in coverage in 2019 (17th-lowest among CBs who faced at least 25 targets). My spatial model (computer vision) adds that Poole's ability to cover passes intended for the middle of the field is where he's most valuable and drives his 2020 impact forecast. With his new deal, Poole still only ranks 36th among 317 corners in pay this season (per Over The Cap), yet my model projects him to perform like a top-10-to-15 corner.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see overthecap.com got another shout out.  

The other selections across the league, for your convenience:

• Dolphins:  QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Bills:  FS Jordan Poyer
  • Patriots:  DB Jonathan Jones
  • Ravens:  OLB Matt Judon
  • Bengals:  WR Tyler Boyd
  • Browns:  G Joel Bitonio
  • Broncos:  FS Justin Simmons
  • Texans:  RB Duke Johnson
  • Colts:  OLB Justin Houston
  • Jaguars:  G Andrew Norwell
  • Chiefs:  FS Tyrann Mathieu
  • Raiders:  ILB Nick Kwiatkoski
  • Chargers:  CB Casey Hayward
  • Steelers:  DE Stephon Tuitt
  • Titans:  DT Jeffery Simmons
  • Cardinals:  SS Budda Baker
  • Falcons:  DT Grady Jarrett
  • Panthers:  WR D.J. Moore
  • Bears:  DE Akiem Hicks
  • Cowboys:  CB Chidobe Awuzie
  • Lions:  DB Tracy Walker
  • Packers:  OLB Za'Darius Smith
  • Rams:  TE Tyler Higbee
  • Vikings:  DB Anthony Harris
  • Saints:  FS Marcus Williams
  • Giants:  DE Dalvin Tomlinson
  • Eagles:  LB T.J. Edwards
  • 49ers:  CB K'Waun Williams
  • Seahawks:  SS Quandre Diggs
  • Bucs:  OLB Lavonte David
  • Redskins:  WR Terry McLaurin 

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nice to see overthecap.com got another shout out.  

The other selections across the league, for your convenience:

• Dolphins:  QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Bills:  FS Jordan Poyer
  • Patriots:  DB Jonathan Jones
  • Ravens:  OLB Matt Judon
  • Bengals:  WR Tyler Boyd
  • Browns:  G Joel Bitonio
  • Broncos:  FS Justin Simmons
  • Texans:  RB Duke Johnson
  • Colts:  OLB Justin Houston
  • Jaguars:  G Andrew Norwell
  • Chiefs:  FS Tyrann Mathieu
  • Raiders:  ILB Nick Kwiatkoski
  • Chargers:  CB Casey Hayward
  • Steelers:  DE Stephon Tuitt
  • Titans:  DT Jeffery Simmons
  • Cardinals:  SS Budda Baker
  • Falcons:  DT Grady Jarrett
  • Panthers:  WR D.J. Moore
  • Bears:  DE Akiem Hicks
  • Cowboys:  CB Chidobe Awuzie
  • Lions:  DB Tracy Walker
  • Packers:  OLB Za'Darius Smith
  • Rams:  TE Tyler Higbee
  • Vikings:  DB Anthony Harris
  • Saints:  FS Marcus Williams
  • Giants:  DE Dalvin Tomlinson
  • Eagles:  LB T.J. Edwards
  • 49ers:  CB K'Waun Williams
  • Seahawks:  SS Quandre Diggs
  • Bucs:  OLB Lavonte David
  • Redskins:  WR Terry McLaurin 

Good article, but this is absurd. He's the best player on their defense.

Good article, but this is absurd. He's the best player on their defense.

Yes but he hasn’t been signed to a new deal yet, and one doesn’t appear to be particularly close.

Until he gets his new deal, his production vs salary “ratio” is what makes him “underappreciated” based on the metrics used.
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Larz said:

Poole or crowder 

I agree.  Actually, I think Crowder is the most under appreciated.  When talking about our WR group, people Often seem to forget we have one of the top slot receivers in Crowder.  Not only is his production and chemistry with Sammy D great, but his quiet leadership in the locker room has added some maturity.

• Upvote 1

great.  so it's a list of who isn't getting paid enough in comparison to their production.  hate to break the news, but the nfl isn't a perfect market and these guys all signed contracts.  not to mention that players don't get paid for past performance.  it's always been a 'what have you done lately' league.

1 hour ago, Lil O said:

I agree.  Actually, I think Crowder is the most under appreciated.  When talking about our WR group, people Often seem to forget we have one of the top slot receivers in Crowder.  Not only is his production and chemistry with Sammy D great, but his quiet leadership in the locker room has added some maturity.

Crowder makes good money for a slot receiver.  $28.5M over 3 years with $17M guaranteed.  Macc certainly appreciated him, lol.  

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-most-underappreciated-players-one-for-each-afc-team

NFL's most underappreciated players: One for each AFC team

Headshot_Author_Cynthia-Frelund_1400x1000

Cynthia Frelund

NFL NETWORK ANALYTICS EXPERT

With that in mind, here's how I came up with my list of 2019's most underappreciated players: First, I calculated and then ranked each player's season-long contribution metric by team. To sum it up without getting overly technical, contribution metric measures each player's production during the 2019 season. The metric encompasses a value for every snap by each player and reveals each player's contribution to the team's overall win total. After making those calculations, I ranked each player's salary by position (contract data via the Over The Cap) to add some context around who was being "underappreciated." I gave priority to players who did not switch teams this offseason (since it's hard to be underappreciated by a team you haven't played for yet). Then I weighted players drafted in Round 2 or later who have been to no more than two Pro Bowls. However, the most critical component to this method is contribution metric.

New York Jets
New York Jets
· with pool and hall  i think that there D is set beyond the D yet again the Offense around Sam darnold looks preety good they went after a line men in  G Bekktion in the 1st round of 2020.

Brian Poole

Brian Poole
· CB

According to PFF, Poole allowed just a 71.6 passer rating in coverage in 2019 (17th-lowest among CBs who faced at least 25 targets). My spatial model (computer vision) adds that Poole's ability to cover passes intended for the middle of the field is where he's most valuable and drives his 2020 impact forecast. With his new deal, Poole still only ranks 36th among 317 corners in pay this season (per Over The Cap), yet my model projects him to perform like a top-10-to-15 corner.