Favorite pick outside of the big 3

Favorite pick aside from big 3?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite pick outside of big 3

The picks of Becton, Mims and Hall as a late steal seem to be universally praised by Jets fans (yes, I'm aware of the outliers) but aside from those three, who is  your favorite pick and why?

Asyton Davis because I'm curious to see how he is deployed with the Adams and Maye and excited to see how much faster the D will look with him flying all over the place. 

I feel like he is either going to be a cult hero or an absolute bust. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Not trying to be homer but for me it's Zuniga strictly on the athletic profile.  Guys that test like from major programs with production, dont typically last till the 3rd RD.  If he can stay healthy in the pros and the Jets finally found a true blue pass rusher, it would be an absolute dream scenario to find him with your 4th pick in a very crucial draft. 

If he can even shows a flash for rushing the passer might be the most important pick of the draft. Little bit of constant QB pressure and all of a sudden that secondary starts looking beastly. The defense of it stays healthy could crack the top ten. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If he can even shows a flash for rushing the passer might be the most important pick of the draft. Little bit of constant QB pressure and all of a sudden that secondary starts looking beastly. The defense of it stays healthy could crack the top ten. 

Hell, they were top 10 WITH the injuries last season.  If everyone is healthy this season, they could be special.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Hell, they were top 10 WITH the injuries last season.  If everyone is healthy this season, they could be special.

Right and I guess at this point it looks like they're keeping Williamson, which is pretty scary to think about him and Mosley playing together.

If Davis and Zuniga can make an impact, it would be HUGE for this D.  

And then if they did land, Ryan.  It's a playoff level D, IMO.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

Right and I guess at this point it looks like they're keeping Williamson, which is pretty scary to think about him and Mosley playing together.

If Davis and Zuniga can make an impact, it would be HUGE for this D.  

And then if they did land, Ryan.  It's a playoff level D, IMO.

Exactly.  Desir is a huge X-factor as well.  If he returns to form from a couple years ago, it's a big boost for the defense.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not trying to be homer but for me it's Zuniga strictly on the athletic profile.  Guys that test like from major programs with production, dont typically last till the 3rd RD.  If he can stay healthy in the pros and the Jets finally found a true blue pass rusher, it would be an absolute dream scenario to find him with your 4th pick in a very crucial draft. 

My pick as well, for all the reasons above.  Athleticism opens the door to be an effective NFL pass rusher.  Zuniga has it.  Simple as that.  He's exactly the kind of swing you take in the 3rd round.  If he doesn't work out, oh well.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Top 10 against a very weak schedule.  That can't be overstated.  The defense will be challenged by a lot of good QB's this season.  Improved play AND good health are all necessary to finish in the top 10 again.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I guess Hall is considered part of the "big three" even though he was drafted in round 5?

In that case, I'd say Davis because he seems like a perfect fit for our defensive scheme and I love good return men. 

Correct.  From all I've seen, Becton, Mims and Hall are the most universally praised picks.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I guess Hall is considered part of the "big three" even though he was drafted in round 5?

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Correct.  From all I've seen, Becton, Mims and Hall are the most universally praised picks.

I imagine Hall would be running away with this one if only Becton and Mims were excluded.  Though I still might be voting Zuniga in that case.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I taught at UNCC for a few years full time and a few more at night back in the late nineties to about 2003.  I have other string ties to the school.  For me it’s Clark, hands down.   

From the UNCC 49er student news.

Taken in the fourth round as the 129th overall pick, Clark became the 49ers all-time games played leader this past year and was named first team All-C-USA by the league’s coaches. He anchored an offensive line that led C-USA in rushing (203.0 yds/gm) and completed his career with a school-record 49 games played. He started 31 consecutive games, including the program’s appearance in the 2019 Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl, to close out his career. In 2019, he helped the 49ers to a school-record seven wins, a school-record five C-USA wins and a trip to the program’s first bowl game.

He certainly helped make his RBs look good.  And IIRC, the starting RB was pretty much a slug from an athleticism/measurables perspective.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I imagine Hall would be running away with this one if only Becton and Mims were excluded.  Though I still might be voting Zuniga in that case.

Yes, Hall would easily be my pick outside of Becton and Mims. 

Impact position/position of need/taken several rounds after he could have gone

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Top 10 against a very weak schedule.  That can't be overstated.  The defense will be challenged by a lot of good QB's this season.  Improved play AND good health are all necessary to finish in the top 10 again.

Correct, but if healthy, there are HUGE upgrades at multiple spots with QW entering year two after a strong finish to last season.  From street ILB's to Mosley/Williamson alone should pay huge dividends.

• Upvote 3

Wow, this question made me think.

The funny thing is the top 3 now were picks I hated at the time they were made (Davis, Clark, Mann). All 3 are now close in terms of liking them once I thought about the reasoning a little more.

Gun to my head - Davis. Sounds like a Honey Badger type player. Didn't realize at the time of pick that Maye's deal expires after this year. Some early mock draft/draft reports had him as a low 1st rounder

• Upvote 2

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I’d read something where he and Becton are friends and workout together?

That's great.  Nowhere is chemistry more important on the football field than on the O-Line.  The earlier these guys can develop that chemistry, the better.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Yes, Hall would easily be my pick outside of Becton and Mims. 

Impact position/position of need/taken several rounds after he could have gone

That's why I left him out.  Too easy.  Wanted to see what people were thinking beyond the three picks that IMO, are most popular.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I’d read something where he and Becton are friends and workout together?

I don't know when that started, but when the Jets selected Clark, Becton's reaction was, "my brother!" 

• Upvote 3

Davis...with Zuniga the 2nd choice. 

He's a super hybrid player.  Speedy...smart and athletic.  Davis is going to make an impact all over the field.   At safety...slot corner...and as a sub-package pass rusher.  And definitely as a STer. 

He's going to be fun to watch. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Asyton Davis because I'm curious to see how he is deployed with the Adams and Maye and excited to see how much faster the D will look with him flying all over the place. 

I feel like he is either going to be a cult hero or an absolute bust. 

His college tape looks really good