Sign in to follow this  
AFJF

Tarell Basham over the final quarter of the season

Posted (edited)

Basham was clearly a Gregg Williams favorite in 2019 and he was grossly underrated over the final four games of the season.  Some combined numbers according to pro-football reference and Pro Footbal Focus while playing roughly 50% of the snaps on defense.  

G; 4

Tackles : 9

QB Pressures (hits + sacks + hurries) : 10

Sack: 1

Stops: 5 (PFF stat that constitutes a tackle that's classed as a "failure" for the offense)

INT: 1

PD: 3

FR: 1

Blocked punt: 1

The guy did a little bit of evertything and could carve out a larger role if he keeps things up.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 2

With Jordan Jenkins only getting a one-year extension, I wonder if they see an expanded role for Basham with a chance to take the job full time next season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

With Jordan Jenkins only getting a one-year extension, I wonder if they see an expanded role for Basham with a chance to take the job full time next season.

Jets claimed him off waivers from Colts during 2018 season, his 2nd season. He was a 2017 3rd round pick of Colts. 

So his rookie contract expires after this season.  

He did have a nice under radar season getting better as it went along. IIRC he was a small school prospect and I think the Colts were hoping to slip him through waivers in ‘18 to throw onto their PS but Mccagnan claimed him. 

Best result would be Zuniga and Huff making us forget about Jenkins and Basham entirely.  

• Upvote 3

there's a reason these guys are cast offs.  sure basham looked good over the final few games but can he look good over the full 16 game season?  that's the question.  it happens all the time.  a player will look good in a few games and then disappear.  look at asj a few seasons ago.  he looked like the real deal.  where is he now.  of course we should all hope a jet player succeeds because that means the team succeeds.

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jets claimed him off waivers from Colts during 2018 season, his 2nd season. He was a 2017 3rd round pick of Colts. 

So his rookie contract expires after this season.  

He did have a nice under radar season getting better as it went along. IIRC he was a small school prospect and I think the Colts were hoping to slip him through waivers in ‘18 to throw onto their PS but Mccagnan claimed him. 

Taken one pick after ArDarius Stewart. Jets also have Jordan Wills from that round and briefly had Davis Webb too. Decided not to trade up for Kamara and the big miss was passing on Chris Godwin.

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Best result would be Zuniga and Huff making us forget about Jenkins and Basham entirely.  

Jenkins is the exact type of guy championship teams have as a backup/spot-starter/rotational player. I wouldn't mind keeping him longer term in that type of role. Of course that assumes like you said above that we find a better replacement as starter. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Jenkins is the exact type of guy championship teams have as a backup/spot-starter/rotational player. I wouldn't mind keeping him longer term in that type of role. Of course that assumes like you said above that we find a better replacement as starter. 

I'd be very happy to keep Jenkins around long-term.  A lot of moving parts will dictate whether that can happen.  He didn't have much market value, evidently, coming off a solid season with 8 sacks, 2 FF and 9 TFL.  If he's getting fewer snaps this year, it would be hard to imagine him having any easier of a time on the market next season. 

His snap % dropped from 59 to 52 % last year.  Adding Zuniga and Huff doesn't help his cause.  

In short, if he wants starter money, I don't see him getting it anywhere.  Solid backup money here might be his best bet.

• Upvote 1