2021 WR Draft Class and scheduled Free Agents

Next year's WR draft class promises to be very strong, headlined by the following highly touted prospects:

• Ja'Marr Chase, LSU
  • Justyn Ross, Clemson
  • DeVonta Smith, Alabama
  • Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
  • Rondale Moore, Purdue
  • Seth Williams, Auburn
  • Amon-Ra St. Brown, USC

Meanwhile, the following WRs are scheduled to hit free agency as well:

• T.Y. Hilton
  • Keenan Allen
  • Juju Smith-Schuster
  • Chris Godwin
  • Cooper Kupp
  • Allen Robinson
  • Kenny Golladay
  • Sammy Watkins
  • A.J. Green
  • Larry Fitzgerald
  • Marvin Jones
  • Will Fuller
  • Curtis Samuel
  • Corey Davis
  • Dede Westbrook
  • Demarcus Robinson
  • Mohamed Sanu
  • Kenny Stills
  • Breshad Perriman
  • John Ross
  • Chris Conley
  • Keelan Cole
  • David Moore
  • Zay Jones
  • Willie Snead
  • Phillip Dorsett
  • Devin Funchess
  • Marqise Lee
  • Tajae Sharpe
  • Ted Ginn
  • Albert Wilson
  • Danny Amendola
  • Cordarrelle Patterson
  • Chris Moore
  • Seth Roberts
  • Travis Benjamin
  • Corey Coleman
  • Geronimo Allison
  • Nelson Agholor
  • Vyncint Smith
  • Devin Smith

Could that be a reason why Douglas "only" drafted one WR in the 2020 group?

And which prospects/free agents would you like the Jets to target next offseason? 

Feel free to assume ALL listed free agents will be available, or assume whichever ones you think will get signed.  Either way.  

• Upvote 3

2021 WR class isn’t nearly as good as this years was.   The depth isn’t even close to what we saw this year and the top 4 or 5 guys don’t stack up to the top 4 or 5 guys from this years group.  Like any class there are some nice prospects, but overall it doesn’t come close to what we saw this year.   

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Unlikely to happen, but i'd love Allen robinson here.

Dude puts up numbers with sh*t QBs like bortles and trubisky, imagine what he could be with a stud QB like Sam

Robinson would be a good get, agreed.  And he's still only 28.  

• Upvote 1

Unlikely to happen, but i'd love Allen robinson here.
Dude puts up numbers with sh*t QBs like bortles and trubisky, imagine what he could be with a stud QB like Sam

I would love to get Robinson, although I’m not 100% sure he fits. I’ve been looking into some roster construction with Gase, and I think he wants speed as the best asset.

I think they may target Samuel more so than anything, although probably unlikely he makes it.

32 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I would love to get Robinson, although I’m not 100% sure he fits. I’ve been looking into some roster construction with Gase, and I think he wants speed as the best asset.

I think they may target Samuel more so than anything, although probably unlikely he makes it.

That fits with what JD has said as well.  Give me some Will Fuller.

• Upvote 1

Allen Robinson is a beast and he’s not slow would be #1 on any team 

I’d call the bears up and offer a 2nd and maybe Maye for him if there planing not to resign him next year because there strap for cash. And yes I would trade instead of waiting till he becomes a fa. Hell I’d even do the same for Kenny Golladay to a lesser extent. But Allen Robinson would be a dream trade and we would be going to the playoffs ? with that move.

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

2021 WR class isn’t nearly as good as this years was.   The depth isn’t even close to what we saw this year and the top 4 or 5 guys don’t stack up to the top 4 or 5 guys from this years group.  Like any class there are some nice prospects, but overall it doesn’t come close to what we saw this year.   

was there better WR in football than Ja’Marr Chase last year? Cause I didn’t see it  I personally think this top Group is very strong 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

was there better WR in football than Ja’Marr Chase last year? Cause I didn’t see it  I personally think this top Group is very strong 

One receiver doesn’t make a class.   We’ll see what Chase does this year before we go too crazy about this class.   You can take any 5 guys from 2021 class and compare them to the top 5 guys from 2020 and it’s not close.  Now go 5 through 15 and it’s a landslide.   There may only be 2 to 3 receivers in the top 40 players in 2021.   

That fits with what JD has said as well.  Give me some Will Fuller.

I don’t know if I trust Fuller to be healthy though.

I was looking back at the rosters, and noticed that Denver paired Demarius Thomas (sub 4.4 forty), with Emanuel Sanders (4.41), picked up Cody Latimer (4.38) to go with Welker in the slot.

In Miami, they had Parker (4.45) with Landry when he came in. The next year, they add Kenny Stills (4.38), and they picked Carroo (4.5) in the 3rd, but I think he was injured at senior bowl. From googling, he held a private pro day but I didn’t find stats. Then the next year, they signed Albert Wilson (4.43), Jakeem Grant (4.38) in the 6th.

I want to take a deep dive into it, but Gase subscribed to the Erhardt-Perkins scheme with Peyton, which essentially works to simplify route concepts, making it conducive to a no huddle offense.

My theory is that he wants speed on both sides of the field, because a single high safety against that means a one on one shot with a speedster. Keep the safeties back, and then the middle opens up. I want to take a deeper dive on EP and the Gase scheme, but haven’t found the time.

This year, we were connected to Robby all off-season, and our pivot was to someone faster. We took a sub 4.4 guy in the draft as well.

I’m wondering if the McCaggnan relation soured last year when he took Polite over say McLaurin/Boykin or Wesco over a speedy guy like Slayton. It was quite odd to see a GM fired after hiring a coach and conducting a draft. I’m wondering if that’s the reason there was a rift because Gase relies on speed to operate and McCaggnan like a slow roast than instant coffee.
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

One receiver doesn’t make a class.   We’ll see what Chase does this year before we go too crazy about this class.   You can take any 5 guys from 2021 class and compare them to the top 5 guys from 2020 and it’s not close.  Now go 5 through 15 and it’s a landslide.   There may only be 2 to 3 receivers in the top 40 players in 2021.   

I think Chase and Devonta Smith are  way better prospects than Henry Ruggs and beyond . 

25 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I think Chase and Devonta Smith are  way better prospects than Henry Ruggs and beyond . 

Ruggs and who?  Again, the top 5 guys in 2021 don’t compare to the top 5 guys in 2020, and like I said earlier, the depth is poor in 2021 compared to 2020.  Higgins, Pittman and Mims would be in the top 5 of this class and they all went in the second round this year.   It’s just not a great WR class in 2021,  I would be shocked if you had 5 WRs in the top 50 overall players.  Its a silly argument.  

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Ruggs and who?  Again, the top 5 guys in 2021 don’t compare to the top 5 guys in 2020, and like I said earlier, the depth is poor in 2021 compared to 2020.  Higgins, Pittman and Mims would be in the top 5 of this class and they all went I. The second round this year.   It’s just not a great WR class in 2021,  I would be shocked if you had 5 WRs in the top 50 overall players.  Its a silly argument.  

I don’t believe Higgins would be drafted over Ross. 

18 hours ago, win4ever said:

If Mims doesn't show anything this season, they can give it some serious thought. He's a great team-mate as well, the profile fits Joe's douglas' principles.

20 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

That's certainly debateable.  PFF along with several other sites has next year's class  in the same ball park.  This is from PFN

Could the 2021 wide receiver class be even better than 2020?

How does the overall potential of the 2021 NFL Draft wide receiver class compare to the highly praised 2020 class?

By
 Brad Kelly
 -
March 30, 2020

Throughout the 2020 NFL Draft cycle, much has been made about the quality of the wide receiver class who will be entering the league this season. Between elite prospects such as Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb and Henry Ruggs III, the top of the group is a strong one. Even beyond those prospects, the strength of the middle and depth of the class is the best in recent years. The publicity and praise that the 2020 class has been given has no doubt been earned, but watching enough collegiate tape this offseason has created an interesting development in my eyes. The 2021 wide receiver class will be even better.

Maybe.

It feels like a version of this is said every year.

“Just wait until next year’s class!”

“They should tank for the best players in next year’s class!”

I understand this rhetoric can become a tired one. However, the group that could declare in 2021 has even more potentially elite prospects at the position than the current one.

PFN launches 2021 Mock Draft Simulator!
Although the 2021 draft season is almost a year away, it is never too early to start building your favorite team with future draft prospects. The PFN Mock Draft Simulator has been updated to include over 350 prospects in the 2021 NFL Draft Class. Choose your speed, trade all you want (for free), and put together a winning draft class for your favorite team! Click here to enter the simulator!

Latest Videos from PFN

2021 wide receivers

To kick things off, the group that will be declaring in 2021 includes Biletnikoff Award winner Ja’Marr Chase. He would have been the best wide receiver in the 2020 NFL Draft had he been able to declare this season after leading the NCAA in receiving yards and receiving touchdowns last season.

2021 WR Ja’Marr Chase strengths:

• Vertical separation and tracking the deep ball
• Turning short passes into explosive plays
• Body control to make late adjustments above the rim and along the boundary pic.twitter.com/d9OKRlaGFg

— Brad Kelly (@BradKelly17) March 26, 2020

Minnesota’s Rashod Bateman was an immediate contributor as a freshman and progressed all the way to first-team All-Big Ten as a sophomore. Bateman is a route artist who averaged over 20 yards per reception and scored 11 touchdowns. He has a rare combination of size (6’2 and 210 pounds), fluidity, and ball skills.

2021 WR Rashod Bateman strengths:

• Separation over the middle and through double moves
• Acceleration through catchpoint to pick up YAC
• Winning through contact pic.twitter.com/7og7jWWY9b

Clemson’s Justyn Ross posted nine touchdowns and 1,000 receiving yards on 21.7 yards per reception during his freshman season. In Clemson’s two College Football Playoff games that season, Ross posted 301 receiving yards and three touchdowns. Standing at 6-foot-4 and over 200 pounds, Ross has one of the most developed skill-sets for a receiver with his size in years. Ross will be star quarterback Trevor Lawrence’s top wideout next season, which could cause an explosion in production.

2021 WR Justyn Ross can get in and out of route breaks, pick up YAC and adjust in the air to expand his catch radius. Complete package at the position pic.twitter.com/cAhyfmUxGU

Alabama’s Jaylen Waddle may have been overshadowed by the more experienced wide receivers on the Crimson Tide depth chart, but his freshman season was a revelation of speed and explosiveness. He flies through route breaks, catches everything within his grasp and beats defensive angles after the catch with ease.

Jaylen Waddle’s freshman season:

•57 targets
•45 receptions (79%?)
•848 yards (14.9 yds per target ?)
•7 touchdowns

SEC Freshman of the Year pic.twitter.com/SI1Rzcsa42

— Brad Kelly (@BradKelly17) March 8, 2019

Rondale Moore suffered an unfortunate injury just a month into last season but continued to show the traits from his freshman season that led to nearly 1,500 yards from scrimmage. Moore is shifty at the top of the route but has thickness and strength in his lower body to bounce off of contact by defenders.

2021 WR Rondale Moore strengths:

• Putting on the shakes at the top of the route

• Balance through tackles and the explosiveness to break into the open field pic.twitter.com/NBYldUDwAh

Chris Olave slid into the Terry McLaurin role of Ohio State’s offense and performed at the same level as just a true sophomore. Olave uncovered vertically with consistency, either because of fluid breaks or double moves. He makes sublime in-air adjustments to the catch point that makes up for his slighter frame.

Chris Olave is one one of the best route runners in college football. Pure, fluid, explosive – the true sophomore has it all.

Wisconsin has to commit multiple defensive backs to stopping his vertical presence. pic.twitter.com/fAC0yhH56q

— Brad Kelly (@BradKelly17) December 6, 2019

Seth Williams was Auburn’s leading receiver by almost 400 yards, accounting for 48 receptions and eight touchdowns over their first nine games of the season. At 6-foot-3 and over 220 pounds, he has the physical dominance to project to a starting “X” role in the NFL. His clutch reception to beat Oregon in Week 1 was one of the highlights of the college football season.

2021 Auburn WR Seth Williams (6’3 224 pounds) strengths:

• Creating late Separation with body adjustments and extension
• Fluid vertical breaks in his route running
• Height/Weight/Speed athlete pic.twitter.com/jjnjxdZdqq

Chase’s teammate Terrace Marshall JR. was leading the Tigers in receiving touchdowns with six through four games before suffering an injury. Marshall would come on strong once again when he got fully healthy, scoring five times in LSU’s final three games. His ability to finish in tight spaces led to his success down the field and in the red zone.

2021 WR Terrace Marshall Jr. has an obvious strength when you turn on the film – adjusting his body to the catchpoint to finish explosive plays pic.twitter.com/EezZrSACGx

Amon-Ra St. Brown, Equanimeous St. Brown’s younger brother, was a part of one of the best wide receiver corps in the country at Southern California. St. Brown was used as an intermediate and vertical threat. He’s a natural mover with advanced ball skills and posted over 1,000 receiving yards as a sophomore.

2021 WR Amon-Ra St. Brown has some skills at the catchpoint pic.twitter.com/m4hcF51JPy

Chatarius “Tutu” Atwell was one of nine receivers in college football last season with at least 1,200 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns, accounting for nearly 42% of Louisville’s receiving yards. While undersized, his speed stretches defenses beyond their limits.

2021 WR Tutu Atwell (Louisville) strengths:

– Stretches defense both vertically and horizontally with his speed
– Seamless, no wasted motion change of direction
– Beats angles after the catch pic.twitter.com/eNdzYwNFjm

— Brad Kelly (@BradKelly17) March 27, 2020

The 2020 wide receiver class is supported by a strong group of seniors that includes names such as Denzel Mims, Brandon Aiyuk, Michael Pittman Jr., Chase Claypool, and others. The 2021 group won’t have the same depth among seniors, but will likely be stronger at the top.

Alabama’s DeVonta Smith should be a first-round pick in 2021 after returning to school this fall, despite leading the Crimson Tide in receiving yards and touchdowns. His consistent technique leads to separation through route running, and he has the short-area quickness to leave defenders in the dust.

Separating in the intermediate comes down to fluid route breaks, processing/defeating leverage and pacing. Devonta Smith is an advanced route runner #NFLDraft: pic.twitter.com/1u9nuW3jE4

— Brad Kelly (@BradKelly17) May 15, 2019

The difference between 2020 and 2021

The group of 2020 Draft wide receiver prospects has been the strongest one since 2014, both at the top of the class and through depth. While that may be the case, the 2021 class could pass them up due to the amount of potentially elite talent. Looking at the rising junior class, a bunch of future prospects don’t have much development to go in order to earn top-50 grades.

Beyond them, players such as Olave and Atwell could join the elite group if they’re able to add physical strength. Auburn’s Williams needs to develop his route running, but can already rely on his vertical breaks. These prospects could be the difference between the 2020 and 2021 wide receiver class.

The comparison between the two classes will be an interesting conversation as each group develops, both as draft prospects and once they enter the NFL.

2021 NFL Draft wide receiver rankings

Here are my current – but very preliminary – 2021 NFL Draft wide receivers rankings:

Juniors

1. Ja’Marr Chase, LSU
  2. Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
  3. Justyn Ross, Clemson
  4. Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
  5. Rondale Moore, Purdue
  6. Chris Olave, Ohio State
  7. Seth Williams, Auburn
  8. Terrace Marshall Jr., LSU
  9. Amon-Ra St. Brown, USC
  10. Chatarius Atwell, Louisville

Seniors

1. DeVonta Smith, Alabama
  2. Tamorrion Terry (RS Junior), Florida State
  3. Sage Surratt, Wake Forest
  4. Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma State
  5. Nico Collins, Michigan

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Ruggs and who?  Again, the top 5 guys in 2021 don’t compare to the top 5 guys in 2020, and like I said earlier, the depth is poor in 2021 compared to 2020.  Higgins, Pittman and Mims would be in the top 5 of this class and they all went in the second round this year.   It’s just not a great WR class in 2021,  I would be shocked if you had 5 WRs in the top 50 overall players.  Its a silly argument.  

Not sure I agree about the top 5 guys.

Chase was the best WR on that LSU team that had Jefferson who was the 5th WR taking this year.

Devonta Smith looked better than Ruggs and Jeudy who were the first two WRs taking this year.

So we’re left comparing Lamb, Reagor versus Ross, Waddle and Moore.

I don’t have an opinion on the depth but I know every time I watched Jefferson and Ruggs/Jeudy, the players that stood out as the best WRs on those teams were Smith and Chase. 

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Rolloffjet said:

Allen Robinson is a beast and he’s not slow would be #1 on any team 

I’d call the bears up and offer a 2nd and maybe Maye for him if there planing not to resign him next year because there strap for cash. And yes I would trade instead of waiting till he becomes a fa. Hell I’d even do the same for Kenny Golladay to a lesser extent. But Allen Robinson would be a dream trade and we would be going to the playoffs ? with that move.

No thanks on coughing up picks.  We're not a win-now team this year at all. 

Save the draft capital and wait until free agency.  Especially since there's no guarantee Robinson would want to sign here long-term.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Rolloffjet said:

? eww

I know, I know.  Fuller has missed a ton of games.  But every time he's on the field he looks good.  His career 14.3 yards/catch puts him in pretty elite company, ranking only behind guys like Mike Evans (15.7), Julio Jones (15.2), Chris Godwin (15.1) and Tyreke Hill (14.6) and ahead of Odell Beckham (14.0).  

And yes, Robby fans, credit where its due. His career yards/catch is 14.8.  lol.  

If we don't bring back Perriman after his 2020 season then Fuller would be among my top choices to bring in as a deep threat.

10 hours ago, win4ever said:

I’m wondering if the McCaggnan relation soured last year when he took Polite over say McLaurin/Boykin or Wesco over a speedy guy like Slayton. It was quite odd to see a GM fired after hiring a coach and conducting a draft. I’m wondering if that’s the reason there was a rift because Gase relies on speed to operate and McCaggnan like a slow roast than instant coffee.

I think it was a series of bad decisions that made Gase go to ownership and clearly show how big of an idiot Macc was.  He may not have been vocal from the start about it, but certainly after the draft he was.  

Gase didn't want Bell.  Macc signed him anyways.  I doubt Gase wanted to tie up a bunch of money in an ILB, Macc did it anyways.  The last straw was failing to trade down from 3 and taking Quinnen Williams.  Hence why Gase wasn't around for the cameras during the remainder of the draft.  The Polite pick was probably just icing on the cake.

We all knew Macc was a complete dumba$$ but it took the HC going to the owner to finally make his firing happen.  Insane.  

47 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

If Mims doesn't show anything this season, they can give it some serious thought. He's a great team-mate as well, the profile fits Joe's douglas' principles.

Even if Mims DOES show something we should be loading up on WR talent wherever we can.  Scaring defenses with our talent at WR would be something we haven't had since the Walker/Toon years.

We're currently scheduled to have over $58M in cap space next offseason, 11th most in the league.  And can easily increase that further by letting go of the likes of Bell ($9.5M cap savings), Enunwa ($6M), Henry Anderson ($8.2M) and, if needed, either trade, cut or restructure deals on Adams, Fant, Crowder, and Alex Lewis. 

We can spend some pretty big coin next offseason while still possibly gaining a comp pick thanks to scheduled UFA's Perriman, Maye, Jenkins, Poole, McLendon, Williamson, Winters, Desir, and a few others who could increase their market value substantially this season.

I think fans give GM's too much credit for planning for years later.

You simply cannot solve every problem with a team as bad and as thin as ours in one offseason.

Which means you have two choices:  

1. Band-Aid/fill as many varied needs as possible.

2. Focus on one or two needs and go deep on those.

Douglas could have gone either way. 

He went with option 2 and tried to fill multiple spots as much as possible, but not really filling any single problem spot deeply.

So we're still thin in alot of places, but our front-line talent is better almost across the Board.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think fans give GM's too much credit for planning for years later.

You simply cannot solve every problem with a team as bad and as thin as ours in one offseason.

Which means you have two choices:  

1. Band-Aid/fill as many varied needs as possible.

2. Focus on one or two needs and go deep on those.

Douglas could have gone either way. 

He went with option 2 and tried to fill multiple spots as much as possible, but not really filling any single problem spot deeply.

So we're still thin in alot of places, but our front-line talent is better almost across the Board.

Fully agreed.  JD wanted a 6-year contract for a reason.  This was never going to be a 2015-esque "competitive rebuild" where we spent major resources in order to try to go 9-7.  

I didn't think we'd spend big on free agents this offseason, and that's what happened.  You can't coax talented FA's to come to a team that isn't a contender, and you really SHOULDN'T look to sign big FA's until you have an established, homegrown core.  Meanwhile, JD loaded up on picks and took some great swings at a bunch of different spots on the field.  Very well done.  

Next year could be different.  If Darnold has a really good season and we go something like 8-8, FA's will look at us in a much better light.  

29 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Think on paper this is going to be an excellent WR classs.  Thing is, if the NCAA season is affected by the virus how many of the Jr's will come back for their Sr year. ?

Good point.  We really don't know.  Though I do accept a college season to happen, guys might not have the kinds of seasons that improve their draft stock.

Among the list of 7 WRs I included in the first post, 6 of them guys are juniors:

• Ja'Marr Chase, LSU
  • Justyn Ross, Clemson
  • Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
  • Rondale Moore, Purdue
  • Seth Williams, Auburn
  • Amon-Ra St. Brown, USC

Leaving just Devonta Smith as the lone "elite" prospect who is entering his senior year.  

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

I think Ross will test better and baring injury will likely have a real productive year. 

Ross has a lot to prove to be considered an “elite” prospect.   He needs to grow up and be a big boy this year, last year he was a bit of a p**sy IMO.   I’d be extremely surprised if Ross is taken in the first round.   Higgins is so much better when the ball is on the air and is a lot more competitive.   True freshman EJ Williams will give Ross a run for his money this year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think it was a series of bad decisions that made Gase go to ownership and clearly show how big of an idiot Macc was.  He may not have been vocal from the start about it, but certainly after the draft he was.  

Gase didn't want Bell.  Macc signed him anyways.  I doubt Gase wanted to tie up a bunch of money in an ILB, Macc did it anyways.  The last straw was failing to trade down from 3 and taking Quinnen Williams.  Hence why Gase wasn't around for the cameras during the remainder of the draft.  The Polite pick was probably just icing on the cake.

We all knew Macc was a complete dumba$$ but it took the HC going to the owner to finally make his firing happen.  Insane.  

I agree. There were rumblings Macc was in trouble even before the draft.

Gase was practicing social isolation during the draft. This draft, he clearly was involved. 

• Upvote 1