Gase is excited about Gore - but couldnt find a way to use Bell

Just a reminder, as excited as we all are for this season - and I am excited because of the roster moves etc. Our HC is a buffoon and doesn't know how to effectively run an offense. Signing Gore is offensive. When Gore is crap along wiht the whole Offense, don't be surprised. Honestly could you imagine steelers going to gore with snaps lol. 

i expect our team to do better I guess than last year, but every single game will be like what the hell is Gase doing. Bring on the suck!!

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 8

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Just a reminder, as excited as we all are for this season - and I am excited because of the roster moves etc. Our HC is a buffoon and doesn't know how to effectively run an offense. Signing Gore is offensive. When Gore is crap along wiht the whole Offense, don't be surprised. Honestly could you imagine steelers going to gore with snaps lol. 

i expect our team to do better I guess than last year, but every single game will be like what the hell is Gase doing. Bring on the suck!!

Don't worry about it.  Gase said he's gonna' watch some film from Bell's Pittsburgh days to find out what he's good at.

I mean, he also said that during training camp, but I'm sure he meant it the second time.

If he didn't mean it the second time, third time's a charm, right?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bell averaged 4.0 ypc behind three Pro Bowl linemen in Pittsburgh three years ago. He’s shot.

No getting around the fact that this may be the case, but last year was about the worst way anyone could evaluate a RB.  I was hopeful that his year off would've helped his body recover a bit, but with no holes to run through last season, who the hell knows?  He was never a burner to begin with, but being elusive does you no good when you're consistenly hit as you're taking the handoff.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

No getting around the fact that this may be the case, but last year was about the worst way anyone could evaluate a RB.  I was hopeful that his year off would've helped his body recover a bit, but with no holes to run through last season, who the hell knows?  He was never a burner to begin with, but being elusive does you no good when you're consistenly hit as you're taking the handoff.

Absolutely. I think the only “right way” to use Bell at this point is aa a reserve back and outlet receiver. His days aa a lead back are over, particularly if the line isn’t good

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Absolutely. I think the only “right way” to use Bell at this point is aa a reserve back and outlet receiver. His days aa a lead back are over, particularly if the line isn’t good

My major issue with Gase last year regarding Bell was how infrequently he was used as a receiver.  It was clear that he was never going to get anything going behind that O-line.  With one of the NFL's best blocking backs in Bilal Powell on the roster, there was no reason not go put Powell in at HB with Bell in the slot or out wide where he's still good enough to create mismatches.

Even when he had little to offer in his final season, Matt Forte was able to get open when given the opportunity and there's no reason to believe Bell wouldn't have been able to do the same.

In his final season in Pittsburgh, Bellw as split out wide over 130 times IIRC.  Last season with the Jets it was in the 65-75 range.

When you're 32nd in the NFL in offense and you have a guy with Bell's skill set, what's the harm in putting him in position to make a play and score some points?

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

that's a little silly.  it's not gase's fault the oline was crap.  bell wasn't going to be running anywhere without a decent oline in front of him.  imo we're going to see a team that operates much more smoothly as all of team comes together.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

that's a little silly.  it's not gase's fault the oline was crap.  bell wasn't going to be running anywhere without a decent oline in front of him.  imo we're going to see a team that operates much more smoothly as all of team comes together.

It's alot silly

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

My major issue with Gase last year regarding Bell was how infrequently he was used as a receiver.  It was clear that he was never going to get anything going behind that O-line.  With one of the NFL's best blocking backs in Bilal Powell on the roster, there was no reason not go put Powell in at HB with Bell in the slot or out wide where he's still good enough to create mismatches.

Even when he had little to offer in his final season, Matt Forte was able to get open when given the opportunity and there's no reason to believe Bell wouldn't have been able to do the same.

In his final season in Pittsburgh, Bellw as split out wide over 130 times IIRC.  Last season with the Jets it was in the 65-75 range.

When you're 32nd in the NFL in offense and you have a guy with Bell's skill set, what's the harm in putting him in position to make a play and score some points?

I agree. I’m relatively optimistic about Gase, but his unwillingness to use both Bell and Montgomery in the pass game was not good. 

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This argument makes a lot of sense to me - which is my major concern with the validity of the point. You and I are individuals behind keyboards. If we think splitting Bell out and using him more in the passing game was the most effective way to use him - wouldn’t most all opposing NFL coaches be aware of that? Maybe it is that simple. But I’m at least a little skeptical. If Bell’s not going to beat you in the running game - why not focus on him in the passing game?

Essentially defending the offense the Jets put out last year was don’t let Robby Anderson beat you downfield and pay attention to Bell and Crowder short. Hopefully the addition of more playmakers helps (and continues).

I still don’t get the whole “Gase didn’t find a way to use Bell” argument.  He’s a RB not a WR, how many times did you want to line him up outside or throw screens to him?   They were stacking the LOS and keying Bell pretty much every play since there was nothing else to worry about on this offense.   Add in the fact that Bell looked sluggish at best and you get a disgustingly low 3.3 YPC.   He was a poor fit and horrific signing from day 1.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Bell averaged 4.0 ypc behind three Pro Bowl linemen in Pittsburgh three years ago. He’s shot.

I hope not.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

sure not his fault on the oline sucking...ok..but def his fault for not game-planning to get bell the ball and help his qb/rb/wr out with plays designed to get the ball out quick...

i hope you are right about the team coming together - oline should be better than decent 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Bit torn here. Don’t have a lot of love for Gase, but I never had any interest in Bell at all. 

What to do, what to do... ? 

drink?

34 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I still don’t get the whole “Gase didn’t find a way to use Bell” argument.  He’s a RB not a WR, how many times did you want to line him up outside or throw screens to him?   They were stacking the LOS and keying Bell pretty much every play since there was nothing else to worry about on this offense.   Add in the fact that Bell looked sluggish at best and you get a disgustingly low 3.3 YPC.   He was a poor fit and horrific signing from day 1.  

well he was the best WR on the team...

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Poster: Thanks macc for giving us the worst offensive line in the NFL!

Same poster: Why couldn't Gase more out of Bell and the offense?

obvious comment: coach should call plays that fit his players...giving bell the ball up the gut on the line over and over again probably not good, design some plays to get bell the ball quick and the outside ----good...not trying to rehash it all BUT it does bum me out that we signed Gore like that was some sort of good think. Just another Gase bone head thing to do.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Poster: Thanks macc for giving us the worst offensive line in the NFL!

Same poster: Why couldn't Gase more out of Bell and the offense?

If you’re going to sign a player like Lev Bell, you have to have an established o-line. Maccagnan was delusional in his assessment of the o-line. As a result, Bell couldn’t get going behind a terrible run blocking unit. 

I’m not as pessimistic about Bell behind this line. It’s not like Bell is some graybeard. He’s 28. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

this comment also deserves it own reply. specifically the poor fit at that end. By the numbers every single player Adam Gase has ever had as a HC has been a poor fit. Whether it is one of the best RB's to every play the game or some 3rd string qb that knows his system best. I get wanting to support the coach but we are not talking about some long shot play not working out we are talking about last place offense, not doing even the most basic scheming to help get a first down let alone a win. 

The things, is Gase didnt find a way to use anyone ever on his teams to produce exceptionally. If anything every player plays worse under him. It sucks.

14 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

this comment also deserves it own reply. specifically the poor fit at that end. By the numbers every single player Adam Gase has ever had as a HC has been a poor fit. Whether it is one of the best RB's to every play the game or some 3rd string qb that knows his system best. I get wanting to support the coach but we are not talking about some long shot play not working out we are talking about last place offense, not doing even the most basic scheming to help get a first down let alone a win. 

The things, is Gase didnt find a way to use anyone ever on his teams to produce exceptionally. If anything every player plays worse under him. It sucks.

How many wins do the Jets have last year if bellichick was the head coach?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Doesn’t help that like 90 percent of our running plays are inside runs with sh*tty interior linemen and a slow runningback that dances. It’s by design but crappy all the same and was doomed to fail.

Telling that perine and gore are power driven one-cut backs as it’s obvious that’s what Gase wants out of the running game. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

some are tyyna bury this fact...

seriously...   he was so slow it was startling...   you'd flip to another game and it looked like the Jet game was played at 0.75 speed when he had the ball...

all you have to do is play any and everything as if he will cut inside the numbers or hashes...he aint getting to the edge AT ALL

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, the Steelers have done great since he left.

If he's just the average 4.0-a-carry running back, how does he lead the league in first downs with the Steelers?

I have a gut feeling that Bell will end up back in Pittsburgh this year. I don't think he wants to be here. I don't think Gase wants him here. it was never a good fit. I think everybody is acting professionally and I commend them for that. This is all about the amount of egg on Chris Johnson's face. Huge mistake from the get-go and they're just trying to ease the pain of the embarrassment. I think Bell is gone ASAP