Gase is excited about Gore - but couldnt find a way to use Bell

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Frank Gore is a Pro.

He'll give us whatever he has left.

We'll just have to hope the 2020 RB-by-committee idea works.

It’s a passing league. As long as the line blocks committee will work.

15 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I hope not.

sure not his fault on the oline sucking...ok..but def his fault for not game-planning to get bell the ball and help his qb/rb/wr out with plays designed to get the ball out quick...

i hope you are right about the team coming together - oline should be better than decent 

drink?

well he was the best WR on the team...

obvious comment: coach should call plays that fit his players...giving bell the ball up the gut on the line over and over again probably not good, design some plays to get bell the ball quick and the outside ----good...not trying to rehash it all BUT it does bum me out that we signed Gore like that was some sort of good think. Just another Gase bone head thing to do.

okay, but would getting bell the ball more than he did actually have helped things?  i know there was one game where the touches were way down and that was wrong but people who say that a running back wears down the defenses is equally wrong.  the oline blocking ahead of the rb wear down the defenses.  it was rare when bell got beyond the line of scrimmage and could take on db's.  i know it's easy to blame one guy for a whole multitude of problems but this team's offensive issues begin and end with the oline.

• Upvote 1

Gase used Bell as an inside runner and as a safety valve in the passing game.

Let’s look at the alternatives. What would have happened if Bell ran outside towards Beachum? 4.5-4.6 speed. Beachum was a descent pass blocker but a poor run blocker. Outside runs would have been worse. Towards Edoga/Shell? Those likely work here and there but to consistently run him outside would have been just as bad.

In the passing game. He caught 66 passes. 2nd most on the team. Did we really want to split him out wide and have an empty backfield with that OL? Darnold would have quit on the spot. Crowder is a better slot receiver than Bell. So, putting Bell in the slot takes away reps from Crowder. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Gase used Bell as an inside runner and as a safety valve in the passing game.

Let’s look at the alternatives. What would have happened if Bell ran outside towards Beachum? 4.5-4.6 speed. Beachum was a descent pass blocker but a poor RB. Outside runs would have been worse. Towards Edoga?

In the passing game. He caught 66 passes. 2nd most on the team. Did we really want to split him out wide and have an empty backfield with our OL? Darnold would have quit on the spot. Crowder is a better slot receiver than Bell. So, putting Bell in the slot takes away reps from Crowder. 

+++This is what the Jets of 2019 had to offer when going to the run game.

Somehow this gets missed and were left with Gase just hates Bell or his contract so isn't using him, or that Bell is washed up an is what he is or that Gase has no clue what he's doing so it also is what it is.

Gase made a pont of getting Bell his touches despite how effective he was going to be behind the porous line.  Sometimes it made you wonder if he had tried game planning another way it may have freed up Bell.  But I always got the feeling that Gase sort half-assing it last year because he knew no matter what they did... it wouldn't be that effective.  That he wasnt a miracle worker and most games would come down tto just a couple of plays.  Maybe he knew what that team was capable of and was just trying to endure the season.  I always got that feeling from the press conferences.

14 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Gase made a pont of getting Bell his touches despite how effective he was going to be behind the porous line.  Sometimes it made you wonder if he had tried game planning another way it may have freed up Bell.  But I always got the feeling that Gase sort half-assing it last year because he knew no matter what they did... it wouldn't be that effective.  That he wasnt a miracle worker and most games would come down tto just a couple of plays.  Maybe he knew what that team was capable of and was just trying to endure the season.  I always got that feeling from the press conferences.

In the worst loss of the season, vs the Bengals, Bell had 10 carries and 4 catches.  Im not sure how that is "getting Bell his touches" in a game we needed to win.

7 minutes ago, BCJet said:

In the worst loss of the season, vs the Bengals, Bell had 10 carries and 4 catches.  Im not sure how that is "getting Bell his touches" in a game we needed to win.

Gase totally flubbed that game.  His "well, we we didn't flip the field" excuse was lame. He was totally caught unawares in that matchup and it was a classic "caught with your pants down" situation.  If your looking for an example of why he won't last it will probably be more games like that.  He seems ineffective when things don't go his way.

Bell was abused in his last season with the Steelers.  He had 321 carries.  And was thrown to 106 times for 85 catches.  His carries and combined 406 touches, lead the NFL.  I think his body told him to skip the 2018 season cause it was dead.  It didn't revive in 2019.  

IMO Gase is moving on from Bell.  JD has provided Gase with quicker and more athletic OL players that will be suitable for wide splits and in-out zone blocking that Gase prefers.  Once again...a blocking scheme not likely to play to Bell's strengths.  Gore and Perine will hit the hole quicker and make those quick cuts for positive yards.  Both could be getting more snaps as season moves on...if Bell can't effectively carry the rock anymore. 

As far as Gase goes.  IMO he has the pieces to show us what kind of offense he can implement.  I'm not giving him...or Darnold...any excuses for not competing for the AFCE.  Gase-Darnold...and Bell...have to get it done.  It's time to win.  Jets have the QB edge and a balanced enough team to take the division.

To conclude on Bell...I'm rooting for a revival....and not what showed up in 2019.  We'll just have to see what happens.    

On 5/21/2020 at 4:16 PM, sec101row23 said:

I still don’t get the whole “Gase didn’t find a way to use Bell” argument.  He’s a RB not a WR, how many times did you want to line him up outside or throw screens to him?   They were stacking the LOS and keying Bell pretty much every play since there was nothing else to worry about on this offense.   Add in the fact that Bell looked sluggish at best and you get a disgustingly low 3.3 YPC.   He was a poor fit and horrific signing from day 1.  

The underuse is also a fairly common theme to the coaching narrative as well even when he had 245 carries in fifteen games. Over fifteen carries isn't overuse but I wouldn't call it underuse either.  The Jets had big problems going empty sets and did in fact limit his spreading out wide. Many times in empty sets the entire defense was within ten yards knowing that they had to unload the ball quickly and thereby limited route trees and play design as well.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:52 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

obvious comment: coach should call plays that fit his players...giving bell the ball up the gut on the line over and over again probably not good, design some plays to get bell the ball quick and the outside ----good...not trying to rehash it all BUT it does bum me out that we signed Gore like that was some sort of good think. Just another Gase bone head thing to do.

Just to recap, all those runs on to the outside, we forget and ignore.  The ones up the middle that worked, we forget and ignore.  The ones that don't work, while they actually failed because of the OL, screw it, blame the fail on Gase.  Not the OL and certainly not Bell.  Also all the approved player acquisitions, credit JD.  The ones we hate, like Gore, blame Gase.  

A lot of hate for a backup, 2nd or 3rd option at RB.  Gore doesnt change Bells role in any way shape or form.  Unless he is done

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2020 at 8:56 AM, Jet Nut said:

+++This is what the Jets of 2019 had to offer when going to the run game.

Somehow this gets missed and were left with Gase just hates Bell or his contract so isn't using him, or that Bell is washed up an is what he is or that Gase has no clue what he's doing so it also is what it is.

Why can’t all three of those be true? I believe In this they all are. 

1) Gase hated Bell’s contract and clearly did things to prove himself right  

2) Bell is washed up.  Sure the online stunk but if you watched the games like I assume most of us do. Then it can’t be missed how slow he is.  He’s done. A revamped OL isn’t going to change that.

3) Gase has no idea what he’s doing. Again, look at his 4 years as a HC and you’ll see a guy that doesn’t have the temperament or intellect to be a successful NFL head coach.  Of all the things, this one is the clearest.  

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Why can’t all three of those be true? I believe In this they all are. 

1) Gase hated Bell’s contract and clearly did things to prove himself right  

2) Bell is washed up.  Sure the online stunk but if you watched the games like I assume most of us do. Then it can’t be missed how slow he is.  He’s done. A revamped OL isn’t going to change that.

3) Gase has no idea what he’s doing. Again, look at his 4 years as a HC and you’ll see a guy that doesn’t have the temperament or intellect to be a successful NFL head coach.  Of all the things, this one is the clearest.  

Gase hated the idea of spending that kind of money on a RB.  Why does that turn into he was pissed at Macc so he took it out on Bell by punishing him, cutting his carries or better yet, calling plays that weren't going to work.  I find that highly unlikely, I find the other two pretty hard to argue though.

Its hard to keep flip flopping from Gase traded away a back who had a league leading season with Gase calling the plays to Gase doesnt know how to use a back.  To so and so did better somewhere else with Ajayi had one great season and it was under Gase.  Gase got 1,300 yards at 4.9 per out of Ajayi who two years later was out of football.  While a HOF RB wants to play under Gase again.  

The I hate everything about Gase, hes so stupid he doesnt know how to call a run play is kind of weak.

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Gase hated the idea of spending that kind of money on a RB.  Why does that turn into he was pissed at Macc so he took it out on Bell by punishing him, cutting his carries or better yet, calling plays that weren't going to work.  I find that highly unlikely, I find the other two pretty hard to argue though.

Its hard to keep flip flopping from Gase traded away a back who had a league leading season with Gase calling the plays to Gase doesnt know how to use a back.  To so and so did better somewhere else with Ajayi had one great season and it was under Gase.  Gase got 1,300 yards at 4.9 per out of Ajayi who two years later was out of football.  While a HOF RB wants to play under Gase again.  

The I hate everything about Gase, hes so stupid he doesnt know how to call a run play is kind of weak.

Any coach can get a season out of a RB - I’ve never said Gase doesn’t know football. Of course he does - he didn’t get this far being entirely clueless.  But his ability as a HC is clearly limited.  

All I’m saying is it doesn’t have to be one or the other.  Gase is a bad HC and Bell is finished.  It’s a combination like that (along with a terrible OL) that produces the worst offense in the NFL.

No coach would have this talent in the top 10 offenses in the league - But a better coach might have kept them respectable.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Any coach can get a season out of a RB - I’ve never said Gase doesn’t know football. Of course he does - he didn’t get this far being entirely clueless.  But his ability as a HC is clearly limited.  

All I’m saying is it doesn’t have to be one or the other.  Gase is a bad HC and Bell is finished.  It’s a combination like that (along with a terrible OL) that produces the worst offense in the NFL.

No coach would have this talent in the top 10 offenses in the league - But a better coach might have kept them respectable.

Which is it, any coach can get a season out of a player when we want to use that excuse?  Gase got it out of Ajayi but no one else did.  But how does he not get credit for Ajayi but gets blamed for Bell.  Without an OL.  Without his starting QB for games and in poor health when in games affecting the passing game?  A RB who sat out the season before and two before didn't have a stellar season in Pitts.  In his one season here Gase is to blame?  

Im just saying relax already and stop tripping over yourself that offense to be respectable.  No amount of coaching was going to get there.  Lets see what he does with respectable talent before writing him off.  If that doesnt play out then he goes and we start all over again

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which is it, any coach can get a season out of a player when we want to use that excuse?  Gase got it out of Ajayi but no one else did.  But how does he not get credit for Ajayi but gets blamed for Bell.  Without an OL.  Without his starting QB for games and in poor health when in games affecting the passing game?  A RB who sat out the season before and two before didn't have a stellar season in Pitts.  In his one season here Gase is to blame?  

Im just saying relax already and stop tripping over yourself that offense to be respectable.  No amount of coaching was going to get there.  Lets see what he does with respectable talent before writing him off.  If that doesnt play out then he goes and we start all over again

I don’t necessarily blame him for Bell — I think he could have certainly adapted his offense to get more out of him - but I can’t imagine much more considering Bell’s speed at this point.

But all the wordsmithing in the world isn’t going to change the fact that Gase is a bad offensive coach and an even worse head coach.