Dak turns down 5-year bajillion dollar offer from Dallas...supposedly

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

This Bel Air estate was listed for $195 Million. He’d have to settle for something cheepah.

He could try and negotiate it down. But that’ll be a huge hit on the good old ego.

Plot twist: Seller is Jerry Jones

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

He's going the Kirk Cousins route and it's absolutely the right move. If I were him I'd play on the tag the next 2 seasons and then cash in. He plays behind one of the best OLs on the league at the most protected position in the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

None of those teams in the “upcoming” group are going to pay Prescott this offseason, particularly the ones in position to take a run at Trevor Lawrence next year. As for this year, the Bears have around $10 mil in cap space

Exactly. Next year the teams who lose out might get into a bidding war but this year- no way. 

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Question, and try to be objective - Dak Prescott playing for the Jets and Sam Darnold as the Cowboys' QB last year.....who would have had the better season?

SAM, no question!

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Let me know when prescott actually has to carry a team other than having a top 3 RB, a #1 Wr and a top 3 oline in the league.

He is overrated if anything.

Sure, they help, but they aren't 100% of the reason he does well.

Not every QB would succeed even with those circumstances. 

4 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

MORE THAN FAIR !?!? He's NOT the best QB in the league, prob. not in the top 5)  let alone the best player in the NFL. $35 per is WAAAY too much for this greedy diva.

QBs I would want over Dak for the next 2 years (leaving out Brees and Brady because over 40 doesn't really apply here):

The definites:

• Mahomes
  • Wilson
  • Rodgers

The probables:

• Watson
  • L. Jackson

Guys I consider in the same tier as Prescott:

• Cousins
  • Wentz
  • Tannehill (hard to believe but his numbers last year warrant it)
  • Garopollo

So I have him as not a top-5, but probably a top-10.  So is that the guy you pay top-QB money to?  How's it working out for MIN so far?  To me, Prescott is Cousins.  An accurate passer who shines in low-pressure moments and folds when the heat turns up.  You pay that guy $25MM and always try to develop his replacement.  

Meanwhile, you think Tannehill's #s were good last year in TEN?  Put him in DAL and I bet he'd do everything Dak does.  Rodgers would be a favorite to win the NFC and probably a SB.  For a non-football comp, Dak is the Larry Walker of the NFL.  Good player in exactly the right place to get the most out of his talents.  Either Jerry realizes this or he doesn't.  I guess we'll find out.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Current desperate need for a QB:  Patriots, Bears.

Upcoming desperate need for a QB:  Redskins, Raiders, Lions, Colts, Jaguars, Titans, Bucs, Browns

Fixed that for ya! :-)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d pull the tag, then use that $31 mil on Clowney, cut a deal for Jamal Adams, and ride with Dalton. That team is stacked, and Dalton is probably good enough to get them 25+ ppg

i'm not sure dalton is the right guy but as you say that team has some really good players and if the offense falters then dak has to take his share of the blame.  it's not like he makes guys like zeke and cooper better.  those guys make dak better.  for him to think he's worth that much of a proportion of the salary cap just means he doesn't have a real good grasp on reality.  maybe it's jerry jones who finally puts an end to these superstar prima dona complexes some players seem to get.  dak needs to win something first.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The issue with that suggestion is that the cap-exempt  salary for each season can be too easily manipulated.  Meaning you can load up on a player’s salary for a given year, exempt him, and then have him play at an artificially low salary for the next 2 or 3 seasons and then play that same game with another player for another year.   

No, the idea is that the player you pick has to be said person for the length of the contract.  If you sign them for three years, all three years they are the exempt player.  The idea is when you have a rookie QB contract, you can have someone for the 4-5 years they are on said contract and pay a top player at another position. 

18 hours ago, Alka said:

You said it before I had the chance to say it.  The question I have is: "Is he a top 5 quarterback in this league?"

I wonder if he is a top 10 in this league?  I wouldn't give it to him.  I think the Cowboys offered him too much.  I would franchise him and let him walk when it is his time.  Stick to the 175 million and don't budge.  I think he would be stupid to turn down that deal in the end.

Without listing all the guys, I'd put him 13th. Cowboys have all the leverage with Dalton now. Pull the offer and start from scratch.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jetstimeisnow said:

You showed me teams with cap space, I don’t see how that makes Dak worth 35m/year

A QB will always garner more money than he's worth.  Especially a young one on the open market who has shown flashes of being a top 10 guy.  

If Kirk Cousins can get $30M per, all of it being fully guaranteed, Dak can definitely get 35-40.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A QB will always garner more money than he's worth.  Especially a young one on the open market who has shown flashes of being a top 10 guy.  

If Kirk Cousins can get $30M per, all of it being fully guaranteed, Dak can definitely get 35-40.

Cousins has been meh.  I don’t think we will see a contract like that again for a while

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I suppose all it takes is one really dumb team... and I do think Cousins is the best analogy. The difference is Cousins never played with the type of talent Dak did. But I do think they are similar in that either is fantastic on a rookie deal, but a disaster at top tier money. 

and IMO Dak never sniffed top 10, neither has cousins 

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2020 at 12:56 PM, johnnysd said:

Problem with that is then they get only a 3rd for compensation. Dallas needs to trade him. I actually do not think another team pays Dak that type of money. He might get a prove it contract like Cousins but no one is giving him that much. Dallas should have used the non-exclusive tag on him. Now they will be lucky to get a 2nd for him

Other teams know they don't half the talent that has surrounded Prescott since Day 1.  Dallas has even more now.

Prescott isn't "carrying" any team.

On 5/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, AFJF said:

I looked at Dalton's numbers when the Jets were making a play for him and I'll tell you what, when he had a strong supporting cast in Cincy four or five years ago, he put up some great numbers.  Something like 25 TD's and only 8 picks with a comp pct in the high 60's.  I don't recall him ever having a year that good, but as stacked as Dallas is right now, I'd bet he could top that if given the chance.

Agree 100%. Also, you got Cam still out there.

to everyone saying dalton is as good as dak, relax yourselves.  i understand the cowboy hate, but dak had a phenomenal year last year, way better than anything dalton has put up in his career.  dak was 30 TD, 11 int for 4902 yds last year, adding 277 on the ground for an addtional 3 TDs.  so he put up over 5k yards and 33 total TDs.

i'm not saying dak should be getting 40-45M a season, that's insane.  the offer the boys gave him for what, 35M a year is reasonable and he shouldn't have declined that.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

to everyone saying dalton is as good as dak, relax yourselves.  i understand the cowboy hate, but dak had a phenomenal year last year, way better than anything dalton has put up in his career.  dak was 30 TD, 11 int for 4902 yds last year, adding 277 on the ground for an addtional 3 TDs.  so he put up over 5k yards and 33 total TDs.

i'm not saying dak should be getting 40-45M a season, that's insane.  the offer the boys gave him for what, 35M a year is reasonable and he shouldn't have declined that.

Dak is a decent QB, but he has a dominant line, excellent receiving targets, a top flight back, plays in great weather and in am atrocious division. None of that is to take away from Dak, but his stats are not representative of him as a qb. He is a guy you love to have on a rookie deal so you can keep that talent around him, the second you have to pay him top flight talent His value goes way way down.  You put him on last years Jets and he has closer to Darnold stats than the stats you quote IMO

5 minutes ago, Jetstimeisnow said:

Dak is a decent QB, but he has a dominant line, excellent receiving targets, a top flight back, plays in great weather and in am atrocious division. None of that is to take away from Dak, but his stats are not representative of him as a qb. He is a guy you love to have on a rookie deal so you can keep that talent around him, the second you have to pay him top flight talent His value goes way way down.  You put him on last years Jets and he has closer to Darnold stats than the stats you quote IMO

i've heard this argument MANY times, yet when we talk about Darnold all we ever say is, "give him an o-line" or "get him weapons".  it what a team is supposed to do.  the cowboys haven't had a losing season with Dak as their starter.  last year was the worst they were, 8-8 and he had his best season.  something else is wrong there, not really Dak.

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2020 at 8:12 PM, GreenFish said:

This Bel Air estate was listed for $195 Million. He’d have to settle for something cheepah.

He could try and negotiate it down. But that’ll be a huge hit on the good old ego.

When the rioting of the lower and middle class begins in LA due to the taxes and regulations, I’d make my way to this place. I’d even settle for the guest house. My family doesn’t need much.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i've heard this argument MANY times, yet when we talk about Darnold all we ever say is, "give him an o-line" or "get him weapons".  it what a team is supposed to do.  the cowboys haven't had a losing season with Dak as their starter.  last year was the worst they were, 8-8 and he had his best season.  something else is wrong there, not really Dak.

Once you pay Dak $35M a year, you won’t be able to keep a top 5 OL, WRs, and RB. They’re in a pickle even at $35 let alone $45.

I’d trade him and roll with Andy Dalton at that price. 

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Once you pay Dak $35M a year, you won’t be able to keep a top 5 OL, WRs, and RB. They’re in a pickle even at $35 let alone $45.

I’d trade him and roll with Andy Dalton at that price. 

so then here with the jets, sam darnold's time on a rookie contract has pretty much been wasted, the team's best record so far with sam at the helm has been 7-9.  i understand he has 3 years left on his deal, theoretically, but do you think the jets are winning a super bowl in the next 3 years?

Wilson, 35M a year
Rodgers, 33M a year
Cousins, 33M a year
Wentz, 30M a year

these teams managed to pay their QB and be in the playoff hunt every year, how do they do it?

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

so then here with the jets, sam darnold's time on a rookie contract has pretty much been wasted, the team's best record so far with sam at the helm has been 7-9.  i understand he has 3 years left on his deal, theoretically, but do you think the jets are winning a super bowl in the next 3 years?

Wilson, 35M a year
Rodgers, 33M a year
Cousins, 33M a year
Wentz, 30M a year

these teams managed to pay their QB and be in the playoff hunt every year, how do they do it?

Add to this that revenue league wide will be down next season and maybe beyond. People realizing that life has many other benefits than football and baseball and B-ball. 

Sam may not see a new contract for 4 years. 

50 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Wilson, 35M a year
Rodgers, 33M a year
Cousins, 33M a year
Wentz, 30M a year

Wilson and Rodgers are much better than Dak and dont need as much around them. Paying a slightly above average QB top QB money is not a winning recipe.

Wentz’ contract has yet to hit that high number. Even this year his cap hit is only $18. Unless Wentz is able to get back to high end play, let’s see what Philly does over the next few years.

Cousins is a good example of a team making it work. 

You also have examples on the other side. Look at what happened to the Rams. And 2020 is the first year Goff’s cap number is hitting close to $30.

We don’t know what Darnold will be. If he becomes a top 5 QB like I believe, he should be paid accordingly. If he’s only average, he should be paid much lower. Otherwise we handicap ourselves. So yes, if when the time comes and he’s only average and is asking for top QB money, you trade him. With that said, it’s way premature to even speculate on Darnold. As for Dak, at the price he’s asking for, I would trade him without any hesitation.

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

Yeah, of course you hear it, because it’s true. That is what a team is supposed to do, and the cowboys did a good job of it. And if Dak is so great, he would have taken that talent above 8-8 in that awful division. Dak is good, he is not even remotely close to elite. 35m is elite money, imo he is not that.

11 hours ago, Tezza said:

This is absolutely ridiculous he is not even a top 5 QB in the league ...what is the ballpark he is asking for? Is he looking for the $200M range?

Sounds like 

I think he and his agent are way overinflating his value based on him being the starting QB of the cowboys

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

And Dalton would put up numbers almost as good if he had a full season behind that OL with Elliot running the ball setting up play action and Cooper and Gallup

• Upvote 2