Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jetstream23

Place your bets - Will we have a NFL season? What kind of season?

The 2020-2021 NFL Season  

71 members have voted

  1. 1. Will there be a full NFL season played?

    • Yes, all games
      50
    • No
      21
  2. 2. If there's a season, will fans be in attendance?

    • Yes, with all seats available from Day 1
      2
    • Yes, but with a reduction in capacity (ex. 25 or 50% of seats allowed) or allowing fans to attend later in the season if conditions change (ex. a vaccine)
      32
    • Yes, but only in certain cities based on local government conditions and with local guidance (ex. reduced capacity)
      19
    • No, all games will be played in empty stadiums
      18
  3. 3. If there's a season, do you think it will somehow get interrupted (shortened, canceled, etc. due to players testing positive or something else happening)?

    • Yes, some kind of event, second wave of virus, a city-specific problem, etc. will impact the NFL season and change the schedule somehow
      29
    • No, the NFL will be able to play its full schedule as planned in the cities it has planned on
      42
  4. 4. Will the season start on time?

    • Yes
      47
    • No
      24


Recommended Posts

November start, two preseason games, 12  regular season games, some weird team like the Seahawks win the Super Bowl after going 7-5.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The virus is petering out, even now. Will be gone or mostly gone by season start. The only question is the  reaction, which could limit things more than is warranted. And BTW, it will not return when the cold returns.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

The virus is petering out, even now. Will be gone or mostly gone by season start. The only question is the  reaction, which could limit things more than is warranted. And BTW, it will not return when the cold returns.

You sure you're not talking about your peter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

The virus is petering out, even now. Will be gone or mostly gone by season start. The only question is the  reaction, which could limit things more than is warranted. And BTW, it will not return when the cold returns.

You know the virus is supposed to get stronger in the winter months.....   The virus will not be petering out when it gets cold.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, talonmm said:

You know the virus is supposed to get stronger in the winter months.....   The virus will not be petering out when it gets cold.

Experts differ on that. I believe the expert I read who says the typical behavior of viruses is that they appear, they reach a peak, then they die out. He notes this virus has peaked, and says it will die out and will not return when it gets cold. He points out the Spanish Flu was an exception because it first appeared in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

Experts differ on that. I believe the expert I read who says the typical behavior of viruses is that they appear, they reach a peak, then they die out. He notes this virus has peaked, and says it will die out and will not return when it gets cold. He points out the Spanish Flu was an exception because it first appeared in the summer.

Interesting.  I'm starting to think that we simply won't know until we know.  Everyone from doctors and scientists to political leaders at all levels have gotten at least some part of their predictions wrong.  Whether it was the early days when it was reported there "was no evidence of human to human transmission" to news this morning by the CDC that coronavirus isn't easily transmitted on surfaces, we're just finding out new things about this virus all the time.  Nobody has been completely accurate about how this would play out.  With that said, I hope the expert you cite is 100% correct.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Interesting.  I'm starting to think that we simply won't know until we know.  Everyone from doctors and scientists to political leaders at all levels have gotten at least some part of their predictions wrong.  Whether it was the early days when it was reported there "was no evidence of human to human transmission" to news this morning by the CDC that coronavirus isn't easily transmitted on surfaces, we're just finding out new things about this virus all the time.  Nobody has been completely accurate about how this would play out.  With that said, I hope the expert you cite is 100% correct.

Some other good news came out the day before yesterday. JP Morgan released a graph they worked up that shows that most states that have come out of lockdown have actually reduced their rates of infection compared to what their rates of infection were the day the lockdown ended. Might seem counterintuitive, but it suggests being holed up in a confined space actually increases the chances of infection. This is also consistent with something Cuomo said in one of his press conferences, which is that 66% of new infections have happened to people who were at home.

All of this makes me optimistic there will be a full NFL season. And there may even be fans in stands.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

The virus is petering out, even now. Will be gone or mostly gone by season start. The only question is the  reaction, which could limit things more than is warranted. And BTW, it will not return when the cold returns.

And then once the cold weather returns in October players and refs will start getting infected just in time for the season to start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

Experts differ on that. I believe the expert I read who says the typical behavior of viruses is that they appear, they reach a peak, then they die out. He notes this virus has peaked, and says it will die out and will not return when it gets cold. He points out the Spanish Flu was an exception because it first appeared in the summer.

That happened with SARS when it disappeared 

 

More likely that coronavirus is more similar to the flu 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon we will see games with no fans but a ton of tarp advertising around the stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 8:56 PM, Jet Fan RI said:

The virus is petering out, even now. Will be gone or mostly gone by season start. The only question is the  reaction, which could limit things more than is warranted. And BTW, it will not return when the cold returns.

The Southern Hemisphere would disagree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And then once the cold weather returns in October players and refs will start getting infected just in time for the season to start

Seems like you missed my post about this, a few posts up from yours. There are experts who say it will not come back with the cold. I think they are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

That happened with SARS when it disappeared 

 

More likely that coronavirus is more similar to the flu 

Why? I'll go with the experts who say it won't come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The Southern Hemisphere would disagree with you.

Perhaps. But then it would also be disagreeing with the experts who I am saying have it right. We'll probably know in 6 months or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot depends on where you live.  For our area/team I don’t see fans in the stands.  It’s still quite some time until the season starts but I just can’t see 80k fans packing into a stadium.  Not even sure I could see 15-20k.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

Why? I'll go with the experts who say it won't come back.

I’ll go with Dr Fauci and everyone else who says it will be back next Fall

 

Look at the Southern Hemisphere.  The rate of infection was lower than in the northern hemisphere and now it’s skyrocketing in countries like Brazil that are entering their winter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

Seems like you missed my post about this, a few posts up from yours. There are experts who say it will not come back with the cold. I think they are right.

Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I’ll go with Dr Fauci and everyone else who says it will be back next Fall

 

Look at the Southern Hemisphere.  The rate of infection was lower than in the northern hemisphere and now it’s skyrocketing in countries like Brazil that are entering their winter

I would say Fauci has largely discredited himself. First, consider all those wildly fluctuating models. Then he hammered on tough lockdowns for 2 months then suddenly, the other day, he says lockdowns for too long could cause "irreparable harm."

As for the Southern Hemisphere, I would expect a delayed peak down there, since it was summer down there when the virus first appeared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...