Gary Meyers reporting that Jamal and Jets have hit impass over contract, trade possible.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Exactly. This reminded me of a great story the late Ralph Kiner used to tell from time to time on Mets games. He said he went in to ask Branch Rickey, who was then the Pirates GM, for a raise after leading the NL in homers again. The Pirates at that time were just about the worst team in baseball. Rickey told him " we lost 102 games with you, we can do it without you."

Building some homogenous team of pretty good players from top to bottom without having any great players is a fantasy.

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ralphie told that story many times. Lol

Kiner was broadcasting a game where Dave Kingman broke his glove.  Kiner said, "They should've brought in a welder."  That's one of the funniest lines I've ever heard.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Remember when we could have drafted Clinton-Dix, but Idzik took Calvin Pryor, who was out of the league three years later? 

Good times.....

Idzik gave Rex the choice between Pryor and Clinton-Dix and Rex chose “the guy that’ll take your head off.”

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Kiner was broadcasting a game where Dave Kingman broke his glove.  Kiner said, "They should've brought in a welder."  That's one of the funniest lines I've ever heard.

That is a classic. One of my other favorites was " and John Stearns slides into 2nd with a standup double."?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Idzik gave Rex the choice between Pryor and Clinton-Dix and Rex chose “the guy that’ll take your head off.”

That was Idzik's baby. He loved him. He showed him to Rex who certainly liked him, too, but that was all Idzik. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1762A1C1-A19E-4CB5-8C07-5012834EC4D4.png

"Idzik led a Jets contingent that traveled to his Oct. 18 game against Central Florida, when Pryor intercepted a pass in the end zone. Upon his return to Jets headquarters, Idzik told Ryan, “I just saw a guy that you’re going to absolutely love.” Idzik was right, Ryan said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/sports/football/jets-draft-calvin-pryor-for-physical-presence.html

You love John Idzik! Don't take away his crowning achievement! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

"Idzik led a Jets contingent that traveled to his Oct. 18 game against Central Florida, when Pryor intercepted a pass in the end zone. Upon his return to Jets headquarters, Idzik told Ryan, “I just saw a guy that you’re going to absolutely love.” Idzik was right, Ryan said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/sports/football/jets-draft-calvin-pryor-for-physical-presence.html

You love John Idzik! Don't take away his crowning achievement! 

Rex said it out if his own mouth. I have no doubt that Idzik scouted Pryor and brought it to the table, but Rex says he was the one who picked him over HHCD. So, it’s choose your own adventure.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yep. The Green Bay GM said about dix vs Pryor “this is a passing league now and big hits are being legislated out of the game so we liked Dix better, who has more range and playmaking ability” chess vs checkers!

• Upvote 4

Cimini and Tannenbaum seem to be suggesting that Douglas views any Adams extension as an act of benevolence and Jamal needs to toe the line if he wants his money this year. No way Adams bends the knee at this point. This is going to get gross. 

• Upvote 1

I’d be really curious to know how the locker room feels about this. I feel like the dudes who are leaders understand how leverage and negotiations work, quietly get their deal done, and go about their business. How often do you see guys get into contract disputes and then go on and everything’s rosy? Regardless of where they land, really.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TNJet said:

I knew JD drafted Davis for a reason. Lol

Been telling everyone that same thing lol... It's Adams that's a goner, and Maye moving over to SS.... Sure we get the same production from Maye as we do from Adams, and Davis is an upgrade at FS....

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Been telling everyone that same thing lol... It's Adams that's a goner, and Maye moving over to SS.... Sure we get the same production from Maye as we do from Adams, and Davis is an upgrade at FS....

No problem with that prediction, but I will believe it when he is first team all pro

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Another variable in this whole situation and possibly why the Jets are holding off on addressing Adams' contract is no one knows how this season, possibly without fans in the stands, may impact the 2021 salary cap.

This.  Don't forget when Free Agency opened their were rumors that the franchise was having/expecting liquidity issues.  

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've come to the point where I'm certain Adams will not be a Jet long term.  This type of stuff doesn't just always pop up and then everything is resolved and everyone's happy.

I like Adams a lot, I think it's ridiculous the amount of flak he gets on this board as a player.  If you don't like his personality that's one thing, but lots of people still try to downplay how good he is.  He's very good, and probably the best player the Jets have had since whenever Revis no longer held that title.

All that said, I can understand the Jets not wanting to pay, especially this off-season, what he wants to be paid. And if that makes him not want to be here, he's eventually going to not be here.

Adams can be a great player, worth a big contract, and not be worth the investment for Jets.  All those things can be simultaneously true.

Thats all fair and a great post.  People do not like his personality, but if you watched the Jordan documentary, he had similar traits.  Jordan talked, boasted,  demanded a lot from himself and his team.  Adams has outstanding character and you only let go of him if the offer is overwhelming.  If Minka F was valued at a 1,   Jamal is about double his value

2 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

No problem with that prediction, but I will believe it when he is first team all pro

Even if he's not because of the Adams name recognition, I believe he still plays the SS position about as well as Adams... He's not afraid to tackle, or make big hits, and he has a better nose for the ball in the air. He probably covers TE's better than Adams. While we don't know that for sure, if he comes back healthy this year, I could see him being the better option than Adams money wise and not much drop off on the field.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Even if he's not because of the Adams name recognition, I believe he still plays the SS position about as well as Adams... He's not afraid to tackle, or make big hits, and he has a better nose for the ball in the air. He probably covers TE's better than Adams. While we don't know that for sure, if he comes back healthy this year, I could see him being the better option than Adams money wise and not much drop off on the field.

what makes you believe this?  adams is exceptional in coverage, nobody gives him credit for it.  he blitzes extremely well and is better against the run.  in addition, do you really expect Davis to hop right in and make up for the loss of not only Adams but Maye at FS?

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've come to the point where I'm certain Adams will not be a Jet long term.  This type of stuff doesn't just always pop up and then everything is resolved and everyone's happy.

I like Adams a lot, I think it's ridiculous the amount of flak he gets on this board as a player.  If you don't like his personality that's one thing, but lots of people still try to downplay how good he is.  He's very good, and probably the best player the Jets have had since whenever Revis no longer held that title.

All that said, I can understand the Jets not wanting to pay, especially this off-season, what he wants to be paid. And if that makes him not want to be here, he's eventually going to not be here.

Adams can be a great player, worth a big contract, and not be worth the investment for Jets.  All those things can be simultaneously true.

I never disliked the guy, but I agree with @TomShane that he's not worth the type of money he's asking for the position he plays. I've always been a rah rah guy when I played sports, but I was a team player first... It was never about me. He is starting to irke me the way Mevis irked me, and I was a HUGE Revis fan before he turned into Mevis.

7 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Adams earned that name recognition.  And he was a legitimate first team all pro.  Maye has a ways to go. He has never played at that level. He first needs to stay on the field more consistently.  Not just one season 

1 minute ago, heymangold said:

what makes you believe this?  adams is exceptional in coverage, nobody gives him credit for it.  he blitzes extremely well and is better against the run.  in addition, do you really expect Davis to hop right in and make up for the loss of not only Adams but Maye at FS?

ummm yeah lol...  I believe FS is more an instinctual position, and from what I've read about Davis, that's his best quality, while having great speed. All we ever talked about on this board was why did Macc draft 2 safeties in the 1st and 2nd rounds... Everyone was livid, because everyone was saying they basically were the same type of player. So if that's the case, then why shouldn't Maye be able to move over to SS....

• Upvote 2