Gary Meyers reporting that Jamal and Jets have hit impass over contract, trade possible.

1 minute ago, heymangold said:

Question for all the Jamal guys stating he doesn’t get INTs and he’s a safety - do you disagree with the Mets signing Jacob DeGrom as a Cy Young award winner that doesn’t win games?

I disagree with baseball. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sage mystic: Hm, Jamal’s statistics are embarrassing. You can’t pay a guy like that too much money.

Man Who Purchased An Adams Jersey At Full Retail: You can’t just look at the stats; he’s a winning player whom you need on the team if you’re going to win!

SM: He’s never won anything at any level. Never came close, actually. 

MWPAAJAFR: Oh yeah? What about Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders?

SM: They were statistically prolific!

MEPAAJEFR: But did they ever strip Daniel Jones???

Winner who doesn't win.

Super Star without stats.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s gotta start high, I would to. 

Maybe I’m projecting here because I don’t see anyone giving him anything more than a token couple bucks above the current highest paid safety, but Adams doesn’t strike me as someone who’s going to price himself out of the league. If he’s considering that he should talk to Bell, who probably lost near $20M with his ill-advised sit-out. 

I can find the article, but Jason OTC made a good case that Adams should probably aim for CJ Mosley money at minimum. I’d imagine that someone as image-obsessed as Adams will want that status. 

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Question for all the Jamal guys stating he doesn’t get INTs and he’s a safety - do you disagree with the Mets signing Jacob DeGrom as a Cy Young award winner that doesn’t win games?

Did you want to compare DeGrom's stats to Adams'?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I can find the article, but Jason OTC made a good case that Adams should probably aim for CJ Mosley money at minimum. I’d imagine that someone as image-obsessed as Adams will want that status. 

I don’t disagree. I just honestly don't believe anyone’s paying that. Did Jason think he could get that kinda money? 

36 minutes ago, AFJF said:

17 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Ralph Vacchiano of SNY reports that Jets have no intention of trading Jamal Adams despite the latest impasse in contract negotiations.

FWIW, this is what Jerry did at the trade deadline, too. He leaks a bunch of proposed deals to cause chaos and then tries to sweep in at the end with a lesser offer to make it look like he stole the player. It’s what he did to the Raiders with Amari Cooper. You’ll know it’s the case if the next Myers rumor is that the Jets actually asked for the moon.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

Wow.  Hating baseball.  That's the equivalent of saying you hate Nickelback every time a hard rock song comes on the radio.

Unlike some really good hard rock, but like Nickelback, baseball is boring. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t recall, but I think his point was that $17 was his market.

I either read or was listening to sports radio where they mentioned Jamal wanting to be the highest paid player on the team, so it lines up he’d be asking for Mosley money. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Unlike some really good hard rock, but like Nickelback, baseball is boring. 

So are a lot of things.  But we tolerate them as ritual and tradition that makes our society what it is.  Ever meet a baseballl cynic who didnt tell you their opinion? No.  It's always the hip target to go after.  Even if they've no understanding or love of the sport.  I don't follow baseball any more for precisely this reason.  Trying to love something that so many people wanted to watch die.  "Hey.  Watch the Mariners play the Yanks?"  "NO.  I HATE BASEBALL.  OMG... (blahblahblahblah)"  Thanks.  I could have lived happily with "No." and your quiet indifference.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The path Jamal would take in this scenario will be to pitch a hissy fit up until the minute camp starts, then show up to camp and continue his hissy fit in the locker room every time someone puts a mic in front of him. Do you want that as a Jets fan?

100% this would happen. I honestly don't care how much bitching Jamal does because I understand that 1) it's a negotiation tactic and 2) it has no bearing on whether he will actually suit up and play on the field this season. Would it be preferable for him to keep his mouth shut and handle things behind closed doors? Of course. But this stuff happens all the time across the NFL, we just don't care about it because it doesn't involve the Jets. 

Via Connor Hughes athletic article: That’s why defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said Adams is among his “favorite” players he’s ever coached. Why Adam Gase gushes whenever his name comes up. And why the Jets, from my understanding, still have every intention of extending Adams. They do not — again, from my understanding — intend to trade him. This can change, obviously. The relationship might fracture so much in the coming months the Jets have no choice. But that is not in the equation right now. It never has been.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:
Not addressed in here: Jamal Adams. That story is coming shortly. From what I understand, #jets & Adams aren’t at odds over $. They haven’t talked contract finances yet. This is all about timing. Adams wants his money now. Jets (with three years of control) want to wait.

Jets would be wise to wait until next year to sign Adams.  There is a really good chance revenues take a hit this year thus causing the cap to stay flat or even decrease a bit.  That should give teams less money to throw around and keep FA dollars down.  If the Jets were going to trade Adams he would have been gone already.  

When Christopher Johnson convinced Douglas to come aboard, he in part admitted his team needed fixing. The contract salary and length were indicative of that. The Same Old Jets way of business hadn’t worked. It put them in a nine-year playoff drought, and strapped with players on absurd contracts not helping them win.

Douglas is a breath of fresh air. He, along with Gase and team president Hymie Elhai, do things entirely different than Mike Tannenbaum, John Idzik or Mike Macccagnan.

Free agency was Example No. 1. The NFL Draft No. 2. And now this No. 3.

As much as Adams wants his money, it doesn’t make sense for the Jets to give it to him right now.

So, unlike years past, they won’t.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Winner who doesn't win.

Super Star without stats.

Yes, because as well know, a lack of interceptions renders all tackles, sacks, hurries, passes defended and every other defensive stat meaningless. I honestly can't tell if you are just trolling here. 

Serious question, if Jamal got an interception on 4th and 1 instead of making the stop against the Giants or if he got an int instead of pressuring Dak into an incompletion on the 2 point conversion to seal the game against Dallas does he magically become a better safety? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This should not be a referendum on Adams talent.  Anybody who is trying to say he doesn't deserve to be the top paid safety is living in LA LA Land.  This is about allocation of resources. Will you be better with a $15-$17 million per year all-pro safety or will your team be better with multiple premium picks and the additional $15-$17 million per year in cap space over the next 5 years.  I prefer the premium picks and cap space,  especially with Darnold up for a contract next year or the year after and the uncertainty of the cap number the next few years.  

The same guys arguing to make Adams the highest paid safety are some of the same guys who would refuse to give big money to players in FA or trade for an all-pro bc "we're not 1 player away". Well then which one is it? This team is still devoid of talent and depth. Adams is a luxury player for a better team, not a rebuilding team. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

This is a non story. We now have a competent GM who knows that you don’t trade the most talented player on the team. This contract will get done at the proper time. 

The very best GM's in NFL history have routinely traded their best player outside of the QB position.  Great GM's build teams, not players. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Via Connor Hughes athletic article: That’s why defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said Adams is among his “favorite” players he’s ever coached. Why Adam Gase gushes whenever his name comes up. And why the Jets, from my understanding, still have every intention of extending Adams. They do not — again, from my understanding — intend to trade him. This can change, obviously. The relationship might fracture so much in the coming months the Jets have no choice. But that is not in the equation right now. It never has been.

I like Hughes, but there is no new information here. It’s all reheated stuff from months ago

46 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:
Not addressed in here: Jamal Adams. That story is coming shortly. From what I understand, #jets & Adams aren’t at odds over $. They haven’t talked contract finances yet. This is all about timing. Adams wants his money now. Jets (with three years of control) want to wait.

This makes a lot more sense.  It also means there are tons of options for the Jets here....

1. Push this off another year and make the extend/trade decision then

2. Work with Adams now on an extension that accounts for the current contract situation (ex. add 2 years or 4 years to the end of the deal and give him some bonus now to make that happen but keeping his costs relatively low for the next 2 seasons)

3. Put this off 2 more years and franchise him at a cost that will likely be below market rate.  If he's a Top 3 Safety and being paid the average of the Top 5 then he's probably getting underpaid.

As far as I can tell the Jets have all the power here, at least for another season or two.  If Jamal wants something done early he should have to give up something.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

100% this would happen. I honestly don't care how much bitching Jamal does because I understand that 1) it's a negotiation tactic and 2) it has no bearing on whether he will actually suit up and play on the field this season. Would it be preferable for him to keep his mouth shut and handle things behind closed doors? Of course. But this stuff happens all the time across the NFL, we just don't care about it because it doesn't involve the Jets. 

What if you could avoid the months of distraction and whining and instead gained two high draft picks next year and all you gave up was 61 tackles and a garbage time INT?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you look at the trends in college football defenses implemented to stop modern offenses, the position being created or added is a hybrid Safety type player who can cover multiple positions from down near the line while still provide strong run support

Not to make everything about Iowa, or imply they are special or know more than anyone else, but it's what I know.  I see them practice.  I see their coaches teach defense.  Within the last 3 years, Iowa has switched to a base 4-2-5 defense from a 4-3.  They stayed in their 4-3 85% of the time but we're forced to change their identity to keep up with modern football.   Iowa coaches will say without question the most important position on their defense is their "Cash" position.  The position I describe in that first paragraph.  It is the most versatile player on the field.

This position or defensive philosophy hasn't been really implemented/accepted in the NFL yet.  The NFL took awhile to accept college offense, so it's no surprise it is taking awhile for the defense to adapt.

It will adapt though, and in few years the safety position may be viewed entirely different.  The question for the Jets is are you willing to bet on that?  I can understand their reluctance.  It doesn't make sense to pay Adams based on NFL football circa 2018.  It might(and might not) make a lot of sense circa 2022.  Some NFL team will be the trail blazer to try something new on defense, that is certain though.  Whoever that team is will probably be very interested in Adams.

Hybrid safety = CB-S-LB-Edge...yes I see this coming.  And GW is contributing to this vision with how he's used Adams.  And I'm sure GW is campaigning for JA to be a Jet long term too.

Also...look at players like Ashtyn Davis. Bryce Hall and even Lamar Jackson.  They all have multi positional value for GW to work with.

This may be how JD-GW are thinking right now about defense.  This is their vision...multi positional versatility.  They are drafting for it.  JD-GW are thinking out of the box on D.  Beyond traditional...positional value. 

Now...whether or not JD can get a reasonable contract done with JA, is another matter.  I believe he wants to though.  

IMO JD sees it...Adams is a true leader type.  That it's in his DNA.  Even with a 1st round pick...you don't get those types very often.  They are rare enough to value them when you do get one.  

Since JD has the leverage of keeping JA for three more years.  He's not going to be pressured into trading him.  Certainly not this year...unless it's a huge haul that can't be refused. 

I still say Adams will be playing in a Jets uniform this year.  Beyond that...who knows. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Imagine thinking that was the argument I was making. It's funny because I had a feeling you were going to respond with that, but I was like, "Nooo, he's not really going to go THERE, is he?" And yet here we are. Do I really need to spell it out for you or can you be a big boy and figure it out?

On second thought, I will spell it out. You've basically made my argument. These players were incredibly impactful, YET those teams still finished near the bottom of the league. Those teams could have finished with three, four, five, ZERO wins WITHOUT any of those players, no? To judge one player's talents and assess whether they can help you win based on your teams CURRENT win total is ******* asinine, in a nutshell. 

According to your (uh, metrics?) is there anyone that has been here for the last few years you think IS worth keeping, since we could have lost without any one of them?

Now we're at the part where you start speaking about Jamal Adams and his "worth", specifically and we really go off the rails.

I'll make this short and simple.

No.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Davis isn't ready, just go out and sign Logan Ryan.  His profile fits the FS position better than CB anyways.  

He's ready to transition to a useful hybrid piece for GW to utilize.  CB-slot corner-ball hawking safety-situational pass rusher.  Ryan can possibly play effectively another 2-3 years...this way...schemed by GW.   

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Wow.  Hating baseball.  That's the equivalent of saying you hate Nickelback every time a hard rock song comes on the radio.

I can't tell if you're trying to defend baseball here, or insult it by comparing it to Nickelback.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I’m pretty sure you’ve posted “$17M+” about 100 times in the last hour. You have no basis for that. It’s a guess on your part, and repeating it over and over and over doesn’t make it reality. 

Do I think he’ll want to be the top-paid safety? Yes. But that number is currently below $15M. 

If he insists on that much higher price tag, Joe Douglas will trade him. But as you alluded to here with Robby Anderson, and we saw with Bell and Conklin, a lot of big numbers get thrown around all the time that never materialize. Adams is a very good to great player, but I don’t see anyone paying him $2-3M/year more than the next highest paid safety. No owner wants to set that precedent. 

I think its an educated guess, given that nothing Adams has said has indicated he'd be comfortable merely beating out Eddie Jackson's contract by a small margin.  

$15M is still too heavy a price to be paid for his skillset so it's largely irrelevant in my eyes whether its 15, 17, or 20.  

• Sympathy 1