Mogglez

Gary Meyers reporting that Jamal and Jets have hit impass over contract, trade possible.

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I trust that JD does and I see him caving to the great Jamal Adams. That would lead to one end result and ONLY one: A Super Bowl

So you admit that Jamal Adams is great. 

Lock this thread. @Maxman

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Much better ball handling skills, too.

But Adams is a way better cheerleader than Rhodes. Not even close.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Kind of upsetting that they haven’t traded this losing malcontent yet.

Don't worry Adams gave them a deadline to get it done, it's coming.

Hopefully Douglas can salvage something from drafting this clown over world class QB talent.

If he can somehow undo the horrible place Macc left this team in and turn it around to respectability, it will be a monumental achievement.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

Don't worry Adams gave them a deadline to get it done, it's coming.

Hopefully Douglas can salvage something from drafting this clown over world class QB talent.

If he can somehow undo the horrible place Macc left this team in and turn it around to respectability, it will be a monumental achievement.

This is the spirit, my friends

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

According to Ian Rapoport, there’s not a lot of interest from the Cowboys’ side in a potential trade for Jets S Jamal Adams.

Jets fans: PAY JAMAL EVERYTHING

Rest of the league: Pay Jamal Adams? Meh.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans: PAY JAMAL EVERYTHING

Rest of the league: Pay Jamal Adams? Meh.

Quite a large gap between pay vs trade high picks AND pay. You know why the rest of the league caught on to that? Because the Jets showed everyone that it crashes a franchise. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

drafting this clown over world class QB talent.

it may sound out of place on Mem Day...   

but this little snippet needsa be filed under "NEVER FORGET"

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2020 at 3:29 PM, choon328 said:

This should not be a referendum on Adams talent.  Anybody who is trying to say he doesn't deserve to be the top paid safety is living in LA LA Land.  This is about allocation of resources. Will you be better with a $15-$17 million per year all-pro safety or will your team be better with multiple premium picks and the additional $15-$17 million per year in cap space over the next 5 years.  I prefer the premium picks and cap space,  especially with Darnold up for a contract next year or the year after and the uncertainty of the cap number the next few years.  

The same guys arguing to make Adams the highest paid safety are some of the same guys who would refuse to give big money to players in FA or trade for an all-pro bc "we're not 1 player away". Well then which one is it? This team is still devoid of talent and depth. Adams is a luxury player for a better team, not a rebuilding team. 

Excellent post.

This is the “trade Jamal” argument I can understand, and a discussion worth having. 

No unfounded, stupid comments about what Adams might say or how he will behave, positional value or lack of interceptions. Nice job, Choon.

Just like with any other player, there’s nothing wrong with asking at what point does the value you can get for trading Adams exceed the value of keeping him.

• Upvote 1

The Jets and Jamal Adams aren’t close to a new deal, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (via Twitter) hears. That doesn’t mean they won’t eventually come to terms on a new multi-year deal, but they are in a bit of a holding pattern due to the ongoing pandemic. Rapoport stresses that it’s “not an impasse,” so there’s no reason for Jets fans to panic just yet. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Not now.  Of course not.  That ship has sailed.

Have him put together an AllPro season and make some interceptions on top of it then I’d be all for signing him to a long term deal at $14m/per

On 5/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, jetstream23 said:

I have no opinion about whether the Jets should trade Jamal or not because, quite frankly, it depends on the compensation.  If they'd get a lot then do it.  If they're not going to get what he's worth, extend him.

However, I do think that the best time of year to trade a player is between the Draft and the trade deadline (typically November).  GMs are human and susceptible to all the usual shortsightedness, win-now, and recency bias that most people are susceptible too.  IMO, this translates to Draft picks being very valuable in the 3-4 months leading up to the Draft (when the season ends in February GMs start to really think about how to get picks).  And, when we're heading into the season and while we're in the early part of the season GMs value current players that can help them on the field now.  I think they tend to give up more for a player between May and November, and are likely to give up more for draft picks in the months leading up to the Draft.

There's no better leverage then having a great player that a potential playoff team wants to push them over the top when we're somewhere around Week 6-8.  I think GMs overpay at that point.  It could also be why Joe Douglas, if he is looking to trade Adams, didn't do it in March or April.

Agree, but with a significant caveat. Teams often give up higher picks, but they're of lower value because the other team loses its valued player this year but doesn't get the pick until next year. The team coughing up the pick surrenders nothing for the current season.

The commonly used value system rates a pick this year as having the value one round lower next year. e.g. the mid-later 2nd round pick in the Sheldon Richardson trade had the value of a late 3rd round pick that season. The draft pick wouldn't play for the Jets until the following season, plus at the time Seattle's pick was expected to be no higher than the 25th in the round: i.e. pick 25 in round 2 a year later = pick 25 in round 3 this year. That calculation changes a bit with round 1 picks, since high round picks are worth 2 mid/lower 1st rounders in that same draft. 

So if the Jets settle on a 1st and 2nd in 2021 from a team with a likely pick slot 20+ then it's about the value of a 2nd+3rd this year. If the 1st rounder for 2021 belongs to a horrible team then it's a lot more (and in line with, say, the Cowboys' top pick in 2020). 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1