Gary Meyers reporting that Jamal and Jets have hit impass over contract, trade possible.

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Hey, Mike, first time long time.  I just want to ask what the Lions record was with Calvin Johnson, Barry Sanders and the Bears with Dick Butkus.  I'll hang up and listen.

Imagine thinking that Jamal Adams is both as important/as talented as any of those players.

• WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Imagine thinking that Jamal Adams is both as important/as talented as any of those players.

Extrapolating for career, Adams, year 4 looks like a HOF safety — top 10 in NFL history. 

While safety itself isn’t a primary position, elite safeties are the basis for and CREATE  elite defenses. 

Look at the history or great safeties. They lead top defenses, get to playoffs, and win Super Bowls. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

Extrapolating for career, Adams, year 4 looks like a HOF safety — top 10 in NFL history. 

While safety itself isn’t a primary position, elite safeties are the basis for and CREATE  elite defenses. 

Look at the history or great safeties. They lead top defenses, get to playoffs, and win Super Bowls. 

Right. Great safeties. Not safeties that average .7 INT's a year.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Vader said:

Literally laughed so hard that I farted.

Thanks for that.

Lemme guess.  Next you're gonna compare him to Ed Reed, Dawkins, Troy, etc., right?

We've capped out at 6 wins in a single season with Jamal, and are 1-0 without him.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Literally laughed so hard that I farted.

Thanks for that.

Lemme guess.  Next you're gonna compare him to Ed Reed, Dawkins, Troy, etc., right?

We've capped out at 6 wins in a single season with Jamal, and are 1-0 without him.

Are we making the argument that the 2000 Ravens had a defense similar to the Jets? 

Jamal Adams hasn’t had nearly the supporting cast, and has still made All Pro once as first team, and was second team All Pro the year before. 

He’s been a solution among a bunch of scrubs. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Right. Great safeties. Not safeties that average .7 INT's a year.

So why is he winning All Pro awards if he sucks so much at catching INT’s?

Maybe because the position is evaluated by much more criteria than that. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Are we making the argument that the 2000 Ravens had a defense similar to the Jets? 

Jamal Adams hasn’t had nearly the supporting cast, and has still made All Pro once as first team, and was second team All Pro the year before. 

He’s been a solution among a bunch of scrubs. 

No, we're making the arguement as to how vital it is to pay a SS upwards of 15 million dollars per year.

Spoiler alert: it's not that vital.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, LockeJET said:

This was always going to happen. JD says we want Jamal here. Most GMs say that stuff. Hoping that since we have him under control we'd get a team friendly deal.  If you see the way we did business this off season it tells you that Douglas is not gonna overpay for players not at a premium position. He's too smart for that.  Ideally they probably want to get another year or 2 out of him at a cheap rate before hes traded. Jamal will cause too much fuss.  This is his last year here most likely and it wouldn't completely shock me if he's traded beforehand. 

He’s a very good player.  Unfortunately he is a LUXURY at the this point.  Why?  Because the Jet roster is STILL in the process of trying to get off the floor from being a Bottom 3 bottom-feeder, after YEARS of idiotic mismanagement where absolutely no logic entered the mind of the “just about to Fired Scout” Maccagnan who was for some reason Upped to GM of the NYJ.

Just an idiotic pick at 6 when it happened...a Safety?!?!?...with a Roster as constituted as it was when Maccagnan made the pick.  Same as picking Leonard Williams at 6 which necessitated basically putting a prior #1 Richardson out of a job.  Moving a 290lb DT to LB.

But hey, they were BOTH Consenus picks when it was Maccagnan’s turn...and avoiding criticism of a #1 pick was the best way the Idiot thought he could keep his job.  Exactly why he would NEVER have the b*lls to draft a QB in the 1st Rd...until his back was personally against the wall

• Upvote 4

Jamal is a good player, but basically we have him for 3 more years if we wish including the Tag.
If someone wants to give us a 1st and say a 3rd then great. It’s all Win for Joe Douglas either way.

To be honest what’s Douglas has done in one off season, I think this guy knows how to build a roster. I’m excited going forward.

• Upvote 3

Agent with client who wants new contract, but who is under team control for 3 years, attempts to create leverage where he has none by spinning "talks break-down" story to willing writer.

I'm sure JD would be willing to sign JA to a new contract that takes into account the fact that the Jets already control his rights for at least 2 years (3 with franchise tag) on manageable salaries. What he won't do is effectively throw away that advantage by signing JA to an excessive contract that ignores this reality.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

There's trouble in Paradise (One Jets Drive).

Looks to me like a bad ending.

Jamal won't be happy unless an extension is given. Now.

Unusual for a defensive player to get his extension before the norm.

JD, you either keep him , or make sure you get a king's ransom if you won't spend it on him.

Jets impatience.jpg

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Imagine thinking that was the argument I was making. It's funny because I had a feeling you were going to respond with that, but I was like, "Nooo, he's not really going to go THERE, is he?" And yet here we are. Do I really need to spell it out for you or can you be a big boy and figure it out?

On second thought, I will spell it out. You've basically made my argument. These players were incredibly impactful, YET those teams still finished near the bottom of the league. Those teams could have finished with three, four, five, ZERO wins WITHOUT any of those players, no? To judge one player's talents and assess whether they can help you win based on your teams CURRENT win total is ******* asinine, in a nutshell. 

According to your (uh, metrics?) is there anyone that has been here for the last few years you think IS worth keeping, since we could have lost without any one of them?

Now we're at the part where you start speaking about Jamal Adams and his "worth", specifically and we really go off the rails.

• Upvote 2

Jets Fans: He's more than a Strong Safety
Also Jets Fans: You're not aloud to talk about the fact that he doesn't have interceptions.
But, look, you got me.  If this gentleman from Germany who writes for a Jets fan site says it, what do I know?
w5gdL2AD_400x400.jpg&key=cb083c61edff93742825427c7b420cd1bfbf4d64498fe7bf40ff0dbe12c26d93

Not me. You can absolutely talk about his lack of interceptions. Not really an issue to me at all. Please, keep talking

He makes game changing plays. That makes a team a winner. Twice in that Giants game alone. And he does it lining up from multiple spots on the field, including edge , slot and corner

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Always strange to see people holding up the jets record against Adams, but then defend darnold and not use the same dumb argument against Darnold.

Quarterback is the most important position in all of sports. The Jets have a losing record with Darnold. Obviously time to cut bait. Starts da fresh! Get da new colledge guys, you ain't losed one gamez with dem yet. 0-0s is bettah dan de lozing! Da new guyz don't smell like da lozing, dey smell likez da fresh lawndry! 

Draft pickz are like Crissmass mawning, you don't know wut yaw gonna get, but itz gonna be awsum!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Not me. You can absolutely talk about his lack of interceptions. Not really an issue to me at all. Please, keep talking

He makes game changing plays. That makes a team a winner. Twice in that Giants game alone. And he does it lining up from multiple spots on the field, including edge , slot and corner

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I mean, yes, Jamal Adams did do well against the Giants, whose record last year was 4-12.  I fondly remember that time he took the ball from Daniel Jones, who only fumbled 17 other times that season, a pace that would have led all time had he played 16 games, and scored a TD.  That's worth 15M+.

As for making the team a winner, to be clear, Jamal Adams NFL record is 16-32.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

It was unlikely Adams was getting an extension before this season to begin with.  Add in the uncertainty of Covid and it becomes highly unlikely.  

Everyone knows Adams is gonna whine and cry until he gets his money. 

None of this should be a shock to anyone. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, yes, Jamal Adams did do well against the Giants, whose record last year was 4-12.  I fondly remember that time he took the ball from Daniel Jones, who only fumbled 17 other times that season, a pace that would have led all time had he played 16 games, and scored a TD.  That's worth 15M+.

That means the Jets have to do a better job with the roster.  Nothing to with Jamal

And Jones Fumbled, but that was a strip sack recovery and TD.  How many times did that happen with Jones?

And no, you do not give him that based on one play.  When you embellish, you hurt your argument. You give it to him because he will a multiple time,  first team all pro.

By the way, all we have heard is, JD has no intentions of trading Jamal

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is exactly the time Bill Bellicheck would flip a player like Adams for future returns. 

No - he would have done it in season last year to Dallas when they were offering a 1+

I guarantee the Jets will trade Adams and the deal they get is worse than the one Jerry offered last year.

38 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yeah, but what's his ERA? WHIP?

The Jets have Adams under control for a reasonable salary over the next two years. They can also franchise him after that - the franchise tag for safeties was $11.5M this past year. Say it grows to $12.5M two tags from now. Cap hits if he gets franchised aggregate out to roughly $30M over three years. That includes $3.5M in prorated bonus so let’s call their current control three years, $27M.

I think can extend that further out, too - if the new CBA tag rules changed then I’m wrong here and I apologize. But I believe the second franchise tag gets a 20% raise. A third would be the greater of a 44% raise or the quarterback tag - obviously the quarterback tag. If we hit the $12.5M with 20% we get to $15M, and the quarterback tag was $27M - let’s say it’s $35M by then. I think this is all conservative, who knows what happens with salaries.

So the Jets can hang on to Adams - if he plays nicely (which he won’t) for 2/$14M, 3/$27M, 4/$42M, or 5/$77M - continue tagging if they want. That’s obviously not what I think will or should happen, but they’re important benchmarks when you look at the negotiations from Douglas’ standpoint.

I suspect there are two benchmarks for Adams. Eddie Jackson is currently the highest paid safety - four years, $58.4M ($14.6M annually). And CJ Mosley is the highest paid Jet - five years, $85M ($17M annually). Given Adams feels that he’s an elite player in the NFL and the best player on the Jets I imagine he wants to exceed both and that is where his current demands are. In a negotiation you certainly have to start north of where you want to end up anyway.

I think Douglas is a very practical guy and Adams cares about the optics of the deal. He wants to be paid - probably as the highest paid Jet, certainly the highest paid safety. And I think the divide there is too big. I don’t see Douglas straying too far from what he can control Adams for already.

This is a way easier negotiation when the Jets don’t have him under control for $3.5M the following year. The 2/$14M, 3/$27M, 4/$42M, or 5/$77M above becomes 1/$10M, 2/$23M, 3/$38M or 4/$73M. Highest paid safety money starts to make more financial sense for the team.

An extension now doesn’t benefit the team other than shutting Adams up...until he feels he’s underpaid again. Which is the issue with guys who negotiate through the media, hold out, etc. Couple safeties get paid more and I imagine he’ll want a new deal again.

Adams has so little leverage right now - particularly with the holding out rules. To me it’s better to sit quietly, play better next year, and earn an even bigger contract than you would’ve gotten next year when you have a way better negotiating position. I’m sure he’s not endearing himself to anyone. I get why he wants the deal now but I have no clue why any of this is surprising.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sage mystic: Hm, Jamal’s statistics are embarrassing. You can’t pay a guy like that too much money.

Man Who Purchased An Adams Jersey At Full Retail: You can’t just look at the stats; he’s a winning player whom you need on the team if you’re going to win!

SM: He’s never won anything at any level. Never came close, actually. 

MWPAAJAFR: Oh yeah? What about Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders?

SM: They were statistically prolific!

MEPAAJEFR: But did they ever strip Daniel Jones???

You've just taken my argument, and tilted it slightly sideways but just enough to make your point, you sneaky Irish cock.

• Haha 3