Gary Meyers reporting that Jamal and Jets have hit impass over contract, trade possible.

This shouldn't be news. Players want to get paid as much as possible just like any other human. Jamal being open to being traded is just a way to put pressure on the team to get closer to his target price. If the guy sits games out over it then it is a different story but right now this is not news.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’ve changed my stance on Jamal. As much as I’d like to trade him for premium draft assets to help get this roster on track, I’d much rather have the drama for the next 3 years. I think the insanity on this board would be entertaining enough to justify it. 

I wouldn't mind trading Adams for a proven player that helps the team this year, whether on offense OR defense and a draft pick. 

The whole argument here is based on whether how much losing Adams negatively impacts the defense. Can anyone honestly say they know for sure? 

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I wouldn't mind trading Adams for a proven player that helps the team this year, whether on offense OR defense and a draft pick. 

The whole argument here is based on whether how much losing Adams negatively impacts the defense. Can anyone honestly say they know for sure? 

I’m not sure. Even a proven player is not worth the prospect of having drama and arguments for 3 years. Just ask yourself, what would be better for @Maxman? Jamal Adams drama is his golden goose. This board has exploded because of it haha. 

i'm not surprised by any of this speculation.  seems to be the thing where players over value themselves and teams end up looking like schmucks for not acceding to the players demands.  only adams knows what he wants.  he's a valuable player on this team but he's also not the be all end all player.  they're all expendable to some degree it's all about what deals can be made.  and if i were the jets i'd be very concerned that this self proclaimed team leader, a guy with a 'c' on his uni, isn't participating in ota's.  he needs to be there or his who schtick fall apart.

12 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Hey, Mike, first time long time.  I just want to ask what the Lions record was with Calvin Johnson, Barry Sanders and the Bears with Dick Butkus.  I'll hang up and listen.

That's my favorite of the Jamal takes; meanwhile those same people are like our GM is the worst in history, Head Coach is worse than Kotite, we have absolutely not talent at any position and we have no QB but yo! peep the record since the Jets have had Jamal. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I think this is boredom coming from a slow news cycle, but...

If Jamal and his camp cause a huge stink over this and take this to the “big distraction” level, JD will have no choice. 

I’m obviously a big supporter of keeping him, but a holdout and/or criticizing the team through the media is going to pave his way out of town. I just hope we don’t get fleeced in a deal for him. We need a TON back in return. 

Maybe we can trade him to Jax for their disgruntled unsigned defensive end?

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's my favorite of the Jamal takes; meanwhile those same people are like our GM is the worst in history, Head Coach is worse than Kotite, we have absolutely not talent at any position and we have no QB but yo! peep the record since the Jets have had Jamal. 

Winzzz is only brought up when Jamal stans try to hand-wave his lack of production by saying he’s a “winner,” or a “winning player.” 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Jamal Adams will make 3.5 million in 2020. 

As much as Greg Van Roten. 

59D64924-2B1C-488E-A1B2-22367E4C38D1.gif

If the Jets choose to do nothing with Jamal Adams but let his contract run out, they'll have paid him over $32M. He doesn't have all that much to complain about. Sucks for him, but this is the #1 reason why everyone associated with the NFL preaches building a team thru the draft. When you do that well, you wind up with premium players on your roster at bargain prices. Jets have him under control, comfortably, for three years at numbers well below what Adams is looking for. Oh well. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Winzzz is only brought up when Jamal stans try to hand-wave his lack of production by saying he’s a “winner,” or a “winning player.” 

Yeah but like that wasnt the case.  The wins were sighted as why the Jets would fine without him.  It's silly.

Its pretty simple.  The most important position tied to team success is QB. There is no more important position in all of sports. With that being the key element of team success you have to do everything you can to put pieces around that position to help him grow and be successful.  If trading any player is going to help reach that ultimate goal you do it.  If you want to build a perennial winner you have to build and develop a great QB. It's as simple as that.  Jamal Adams importance to this team is very very far behind Darnold and that should not  even be up for debate.  If trading Adams for premium picks and saving $18 million over the next 5 years that can be used to build up a young talented roster around Darnold you do it in a heartbeat. 

• Upvote 1

Doesn't make any sense to trade him until you can see what this version of the team can do. The Jets have leverage because it's not like he's going into the last year of his contract with a litany of public bustups.  If his agent make it clear that he's going to hold out then you make other plans.  Adams make a point of being a leader even if he acts immature as all hell sometimes.  I imagine the closer things get to camp.the clearer his intentions for the season will become.  No reason to jump just because somebody is leaking something.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Losing adams would have a huge impact on the defense (this isnt about whether I want to trade him or not or if getting picks for the offense is better long term, im simply giving my opinion on the 2020 and 2021 defense as you asked).

The jets best defensive players for the next 2 years are Adams and Mosley and IMO Joe D and Williams have put together a defense built around them that will be a base 3-3-5 and play predominantly zone coverage.  A Fatuski-Quinnen-Anderson DL, LBs of Jenkins, Mosley and Onwuasor, and DBs of Adams, Maye (as a single high safety), Desir, Poole, Austin/Hall/Wilson.

Having a such a great run defense along with Adams ability to play in the box will allow the team to have stop the run on early downs while also having that extra DB on the field vs the pass.  Adams versatility helps make that happen.

The real value though comes on any "passing" down when we can take Onwuasor or Jenkins off the field, and have 3 down lineman, Mosley and Adams as "LBs" and 6 DBs in coverage.  Having 2 players  like Mosley and Adams who are essentially elite in both blitzing and coverage allows williams to generate a pass rush through disguising his blitzes and not losing anything in underneath coverage while also being able to use Maye deep to protect non-elite CBs.  

Can williams adapt to not having him, sure - if we were to get a pick AND a player like Ngakoue.  No one is really dreaming of 2020 SuperBowls but I really dont think JD would agree to lose a player like Adams for future picks, especially since the fact of the matter is that Adams is under contract.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Losing adams would have a huge impact on the defense (this isnt about whether I want to trade him or not or if getting picks for the offense is better long term, im simply giving my opinion on the 2020 and 2021 defense as you asked).

The jets best defensive players for the next 2 years are Adams and Mosley and IMO Joe D and Williams have put together a defense built around them that will be a base 3-3-5 and play predominantly zone coverage.  A Fatuski-Quinnen-Anderson DL, LBs of Jenkins, Mosley and Onwuasor, and DBs of Adams, Maye (as a single high safety), Desir, Poole, Austin/Hall/Wilson.

Having a such a great run defense along with Adams ability to play in the box will allow the team to have stop the run on early downs while also having that extra DB on the field vs the pass.  Adams versatility helps make that happen.

The real value though comes on any "passing" down when we can take Onwuasor or Jenkins off the field, and have 3 down lineman, Mosley and Adams as "LBs" and 6 DBs in coverage.  Having 2 players  like Mosley and Adams who are essentially elite in both blitzing and coverage allows williams to generate a pass rush through disguising his blitzes and not losing anything in underneath coverage while also being able to use Maye deep to protect non-elite CBs.  

Can williams adapt to not having him, sure - if we were to get a pick AND a player like Ngakoue.  No one is really dreaming of 2020 SuperBowls but I really dont think JD would agree to lose a player like Adams for future picks, especially since the fact of the matter is that Adams is under contract.  

@T0mShane Balls in your court, sucka

12 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

@T0mShane Balls in your court, sucka

It’s a good post, but it’s basically saying what we’ve said all along: that Jamal Adams is a very good, very small off-the-ball ILB. You just don’t give guys like that big money. You know which team had the best run defense in the league last year? The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. You know who had one of the worst run defenses? The Chiefs. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Fair

The market seems to be $15mm for a top safety, which is what I’d deem fair for Jamal, but I think you could replicate his production pretty easily with a replacement player making $4 mil, as the Cowboys are doing with Clinton-Dix. The salary isn’t really why I’m pro-trade, however. I’d just rather have the picks and the extra cash to build around Sam as opposed to tying those potential assets up in a guy who doesn’t bring all that much to the table, objectively speaking

Remember when we could have drafted Clinton-Dix, but Idzik took Calvin Pryor, who was out of the league three years later? 

Good times.....

14 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

We can lose with him ; we can lose without him .

Exactly. This reminded me of a great story the late Ralph Kiner used to tell from time to time on Mets games. He said he went in to ask Branch Rickey, who was then the Pirates GM, for a raise after leading the NL in homers again. The Pirates at that time were just about the worst team in baseball. Rickey told him " we lost 102 games with you, we can do it without you."

• Haha 4

Just now, section314 said:

Exactly. This reminded me of a great story the late Ralph Kiner used to tell from time to time on Mets games. He said he went in to ask Branch Rickey, who was then the Pirates GM, for a raise after leading the NL in homers again. The Pirates at that time were just about the worst team in baseball. Rickey told him " we lost 102 games with you, we can do it without you."

Ralphie told that story many times. Lol

• Sympathy 1