Gary Meyers reporting that Jamal and Jets have hit impass over contract, trade possible.

11 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I never disliked the guy, but I agree with @TomShane that he's not worth the type of money he's asking for the position he plays. I've always been a rah rah guy when I played sports, but I was a team player first... It was never about me. He is starting to irke me the way Mevis irked me, and I was a HUGE Revis fan before he turned into Mevis.

I think the positional argument is tad overexaggeratedated.  In my opinion, simply my opinion, as the NFL continues to evolve more and more to the spread offense, RPO, Mobile QB dominant landscape it seems to be heading, players like Adams will become more valuable, not less.

Just my 2 cents.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Adams earned that name recognition.  And he was a legitimate first team all pro.  Maye has a ways to go. He has never played at that level. He first needs to stay on the field more consistently.  Not just one season 

I get he was injured which never helps anyone's cause, but there were lots of people spouting that they were one of the best tandoms in the NFL, so people were recognizing that Maye had talent. He just didn't say as much as Adams on twitter and everywhere else. Listen, I'm not Nostrodomus, but I just think that Maye could do as well as Adams, and even if it were a slight drop off, it probably would still be good enough for the SS position is all I'm saying, and he'd cost A TON less....

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Thats all fair and a great post.  People do not like his personality, but if you watched the Jordan documentary, he had similar traits.  Jordan talked, boasted,  demanded a lot from himself and his team.  Adams has outstanding character and you only let go of him if the offer is overwhelming.  If Minka F was valued at a 1,   Jamal is about double his value

A big part of Minkah's trade value was that he had three years left on his rookie deal plus a fourth year option that will be less than Adams' because he was taken outside of the top ten. Jamal's already on the last year of his deal, and he already is on the books for $9.8M next year and in need of a new contract soon. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think the positional argument is tad dated.  In my opinion, simply my opinion, as the NFL continues to evolve more and more to the spread offense, RPO, Mobile QB dominant landscape it seems to be heading, players like Adams will become more valuable, not less.

Just my 2 cents.  

i know its matt miller and of course people have a problem with him but here's is scouting notebook the year adams was drafted: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702148-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-jamal-adams-rising-updated-2-round-mock-draft

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think the positional argument is tad dated.  In my opinion, simply my opinion, as the NFL continues to evolve more and more to the spread offense, RPO, Mobile QB dominant landscape it seems to be heading, players like Adams will become more valuable, not less.

Just my 2 cents.  

You're a valued poster, and I respect your opinion and I'm not actually arguing all that much... The NFL is changing, but I hate paying a guy that much when I believe Maye could be somewhat the same player, and cost a lot less, and I guess that all precludes the HOPE that Davis would be a better Maye lol...

15 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m all for keeping Jamal Adams. It should be our priority to keep him.

But I’m so okay with trading him for a boatload of picks if he’s asking for crazy $.

Well he's definitely asking for crazy dollars.  So we should definitely trade him instead of doing that, even if its not a "boatload" of picks.  I'd be more than happy with a 1st and a 4th or 5th.  

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, JTJet said:

Not remotely the same. Assuming you're talking about Rodney Harrison, the situations were vastly different. One was signed as a free agent and not disgruntled, one is in the middle of his rookie contract and being a diva. 

Regardless of position, Belicheck has a longggg documented history of trading players in this exact scenario for draft picks and flipping those picks into multiple Pro Bowlers. I would be more than happy to provide you the list.

But who cares about the details when you can just be a smart ass that's also wrong. 

And currently, Belichick is only playing his talented Safety duo (McCourty, Chung) less than $6M per year over the next 4 years.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ECURB said:

Lawyer Milloy

3 years into his deal. Everyone thought he would have to play out his contract instead BB made him the highest paid Safety in NFL history. 

I am a smart ass but I am not wrong.

Belichick also cut Milloy just 5 days before the start of the 2003 season.  They went on to go 14-2 and win the Super Bowl that year without him.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Belichick also cut Milloy just 5 days before the start of the 2003 season.  They went on to go 14-2 and win the Super Bowl that year without him.  

got it.  trade adams, win super bowl.  the winning formula.

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

The difference is the Steelers draft well enough to have their replacement already on the roster. 

And what do you think JD's plan is?  To draft poorly?  Trade Jamal now and he can slot in Ashtyn Davis as the "center fielder" and move Maye to his more natural position, SS.  We'd be fine.  Could even add Logan Ryan and convert him into a FS if we wanted to. 

Jamal will need to accept whatever JD's best offer is (if he even is making an offer yet; he doesn't have to) or kick rocks.  His choice.

• Upvote 2

Jamal is wearing on me fast.

In a time where millions of people are completely out of work he's crying for a new deal when he has at least 2 years left under contract. Sorry your millions arent enough.

Absolutely Zero perspective from him and it's making him look like a dunce. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, flgreen said:

I think it's obvious what's going on with the Adams situation. Not only does Adams think he is the best safety in the league, (he's got a good argument for that) he thinks he's one of the  elite players in the league.  I'm sure he's demanding to be paid as an elite player. 

Another issue is the uncertainty of the coming cap situation.  A GM would really be rolling the dice with his job to be handing out a major top contract right now when he has control of the player for a few years.  I'll be really surprised if there is a deal.  

IMO the Jets  will/should just sit on it for at lease another year.  If it's true that "half the league"  is interested , if some one is willing to give up a stupid deal, go for it.

Don't think anything is gong to happen except the Prez will be hitting Twitter.  

This certainly increases the likelihood we'll look into moving Adams at the 2020 trade deadline, at least.  Especially since Adams is likely going to cause nothing but trouble from here on out. 

He's not going to quietly play for $3.5M this year.  He can't really hold out, but he can absolutely fake injuries and cause locker room problems.  

The hope is he doesn't behave so poorly it starts to chip away significantly at his trade value.  JD needs to handle this thing as carefully as possible.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hence why several of us wanted to trade Adams at the deadline last year.  This was always going to be the direction things were going to head.  Adams wants to be paid like one of the game's best defenders.  Zero interest in giving the Jets a hometown discount, especially given the reality that he wanted to go to Dallas at the deadline.

Nothing JD has done to date would suggest he'd ever cave in to Adams' demands, no matter what he's SAID about Adams to try to massage his massive ego.  

It's very possible ownership is what prevented Adams from already being traded.  But if Adams throws a hissy fit and holds out, JD can go to the Johnson's and say "Told ya so."

"The Rams don't take calls on Aaron Donald...the Patriots don't take calls on Tom Brady. That's where I hold myself, in that regard" – @TheAdamsEra on the trade rumors

I mean.... It's completely mind-boggling why they didn't trade this guy either before the trade deadline or at least during the draft. He wants to be paid as one of the best players in the league, not just a good strong safety.

Even if he's the best SS in the NFL, what's that worth?

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Fast forward to 2023. 

“With the 19th pick of the draft, the NY Jets select *insert name*, Tight End, Purdue”. 

Jets fans who hate Jamal Adams: “What the hell, man! Why have we neglected the safety position? We had a stud sitting right there at 19 for the taking, and we take a TIGHT END???  FML. SOJ!!”  

JD is not Mike Maccagnan.  I trust he'll make smart decisions with his picks.  And even if he doesn't, that's not a good argument against trading Adams.  Not only would we add draft capital, we avoid paying a Box Safety/LB hybrid $17M+ per season.  We can use those cap dollars much more effectively elsewhere on the roster.

Imagine if we sign, say, a Keenan Allen or Juju Smith-Schuster with some of that money we save?  Or perhaps an EDGE rusher like Matt Judon, Bud Dupree or Justin Houston?  Or even just save up that money so we can afford Darnold without sacrificing a quality roster surrounding him?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

The trading team also has to pay him $17+ million per year and a massive bonus.  You have to factor that in. 

16 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

May he is the source of the leaks.  He is speaking to both sides

11 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Are you sure about that? 

I’ve been told that Right Guards are firmly entrenched at RG, Right Tackles are only RT’s, and by that logic, Free Safeties are solely FS’s. 

I know this was a joke from another thread.  But its important to note that Maye only has 4 career INTs and 11 Pass Deflections.  SS is his natural position.

He's still not a particularly quality SS, but he's better served playing closer to the LOS.  Adams has been doing that instead, leaving Maye to handle centerfield duties, where his effectiveness is limited.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well he certainly isn't a FS/CB ballhawk type, which is the only kind of Safety I care to pay big money to in 2020.  

SS/LB is what he is and will always be.  That limits his value.  

If you look at the trends in college football defenses implemented to stop modern offenses, the position being created or added is a hybrid Safety type player who can cover multiple positions from down near the line while still provide strong run support. 

Not to make everything about Iowa, or imply they are special or know more than anyone else, but it's what I know.  I see them practice.  I see their coaches teach defense.  Within the last 3 years, Iowa has switched to a base 4-2-5 defense from a 4-3.  They stayed in their 4-3 85% of the time but we're forced to change their identity to keep up with modern football.   Iowa coaches will say without question the most important position on their defense is their "Cash" position.  The position I describe in that first paragraph.  It is the most versatile player on the field.

This position or defensive philosophy hasn't been really implemented/accepted in the NFL yet.  The NFL took awhile to accept college offense, so it's no surprise it is taking awhile for the defense to adapt.

It will adapt though, and in few years the safety position may be viewed entirely different.  The question for the Jets is are you willing to bet on that?  I can understand their reluctance.  It doesn't make sense to pay Adams based on NFL football circa 2018.  It might(and might not) make a lot of sense circa 2022.  Some NFL team will be the trail blazer to try something new on defense, that is certain though.  Whoever that team is will probably be very interested in Adams.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well he certainly isn't a FS/CB ballhawk type, which is the only kind of Safety I care to pay big money to in 2020.  

SS/LB is what he is and will always be.  That limits his value.  

wasn't isaiah simmons one of the most heralded prospects of this draft?  a guy that can play safety, linebacker, edge rusher, big nickel, etc.  thats what jamal does.

11 hours ago, Vader said:

Extrapolating for career, Adams, year 4 looks like a HOF safety — top 10 in NFL history. 

While safety itself isn’t a primary position, elite safeties are the basis for and CREATE  elite defenses. 

Look at the history or great safeties. They lead top defenses, get to playoffs, and win Super Bowls. 

Find me a HOF Safety that averages 0.7 INT's per season.  

He's a very good player.  He's not a HOFer until he creates a lot more turnovers.  Preferably against QBs not named Dwayne Haskins and Daniel Jones, to establish that his statistical output is sustainable.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Are we making the argument that the 2000 Ravens had a defense similar to the Jets? 

Jamal Adams hasn’t had nearly the supporting cast, and has still made All Pro once as first team, and was second team All Pro the year before. 

He’s been a solution among a bunch of scrubs. 

Ed Reed was a dominant Safety long after that 2000 season.  He wasn't dependent on the talent around him to be the game's best ballhawk.    

Adams has been far from dominant.  And because of his limited athleticism, he's not going to have the longevity of other elite Safeties.  By the time he's 28-29 you'll start to see a steep decline in his performance.  

• WTF? 1

10 hours ago, Prez33 said:

So why is he winning All Pro awards if he sucks so much at catching INT’s?

Maybe because the position is evaluated by much more criteria than that. 

Self-promotion and media hype.  

I evaluate Safeties based on turnovers forced, as they have been evaluated for decades.  Period.  Put up or shut up.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Michael Irvin smokes crack.

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Jamal is a good player, but basically we have him for 3 more years if we wish including the Tag.
If someone wants to give us a 1st and say a 3rd then great. It’s all Win for Joe Douglas either way.

To be honest what’s Douglas has done in one off season, I think this guy knows how to build a roster. I’m excited going forward.

And the longer he goes without catering to Adams' decadent demands, the smarter he'll look.  

• Upvote 1