Sign in to follow this  
AFJF

Jamal Adams...sign him or trade him?

Assuming Jamal is looking to be highest paid safety in the NFL, should Joe D sign him or move him for multiple premium picks?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Sign or trade?

I know we don't need another Jamal thread, but trying to get an idea as to where the fan base is in terms of who wants him here and who wants to move him for picks.

Sign or trade?

Edited by AFJF

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Jeezzzz..... or how about we act like a real football team instead.  Trade him and sign him to a long term deal are not the only two options. JoeD has the leverage here. He's not some jamoke who gets pushed around by an agent.

Jamal is under contract for 2 more years and can be tagged after that. Quick ---- name Defensive players who got a new deal after 3 seasons.  If Aaron Donald doesn't get a new deal after 3 seasons, Jamal doesn't have to get one unless he makes it worthwhile for the Jets. 

right.  it's all about what the deals are.  adams deserves to be paid on par with the top players at his position.  he's that good.  but it's not like teams win from the safety position.  and that's the quandary.  if there's a good trade in the offing the jets would be foolish not to listen.

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I know we don't need another Jamal thread, but trying to get an idea as to where the fan base is in terms of who wants him here and who wants to move him for picks.

Sign or trade?

No you don’t. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, derp said:

What's the contract? What's the trade compensation? I'd rather sign him for 4/$50M than trade him for a second round pick, but I'd rather trade him for two first round picks than sign him for 5/$90M.

Eggzactly

• Upvote 1

I prefer to sign him because he's a top tier NFL player in his prime and those are the type of players we should be trying to acquire and keep. If we must trade him I'm fine with it as long as we get good value. I think his value is closer to 2 first round picks than 1.

• Upvote 1

It’s a win win for the jets. Ultimately signing him you get a really good player, if you trade him you’re getting a lot of draft capital back. I’d be okay with whatever Douglas decides, but if you’re asking me what I would do as of today? I’d do nothing. It’s way too early to pay him, and I wouldn’t trade him just yet. Jets have the leverage. 

The rumor is the Jets will settle for a 1st and a 3rd. That’s not enough. You’re trading an established potential HOF player for a couple of unknowns? 

What’s the success rate on 1st round picks? 50-60%? And don’t even get me started on 3rd rounders. Jets fans know the cruelty of that round. This is going to end badly. We’re gonna get fleeced if we trade him. 

• Post of the Week 1

Didn’t Dallas offer us a 1st and a 3rd last year? And now that rumored to be what we’re looking for in return. Kind of stupid tbh like how we dangled Robby at 2 deadlines just to lose him for nothing. I’m tired of the games either sign this dude or trade him but just figure it out 

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It's not next year he gets tagged. Next year is the 5th year option the Jets already picked up at $9+ million. Two years from now he gets tagged. They control him for 3 years. That is a boat load of leverage 

Thanks for the correction.

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It's not next year he gets tagged. Next year is the 5th year option the Jets already picked up at $9+ million. Two years from now he gets tagged. They control him for 3 years. That is a boat load of leverage 

I understand the leverage part, but disgruntled players nowadays don’t stay for long. Would you want an angry person in your building?  I’m not saying Jamal’s completely innocent here, as he has already come out publicly with his complaints. That’s a bad look, and it’s why he’s now saying “I want to be a Jet”.  I understand his demand: he’s arguably the best safety in the NFL and wants to be paid accordingly. But I also understand that he’s under contract and the team doesn’t have to do anything for a few years. JD’s gotta think team first. Big picture. And other guys are going to have to be paid soon. 

Nobody ever said this stuff was easy. This is a really tough decision for JD, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

I understand the leverage part, but disgruntled players nowadays don’t stay for long. Would you want an angry person in your building?  I’m not saying Jamal’s completely innocent here, as he has already come out publicly with his complaints. That’s a bad look, and it’s why he’s now saying “I want to be a Jet”.  I understand his demand: he’s arguably the best safety in the NFL and wants to be paid accordingly. But I also understand that he’s under contract and the team doesn’t have to do anything for a few years. JD’s gotta think team first. Big picture. And other guys are going to have to be paid soon. 

Nobody ever said this stuff was easy. This is a really tough decision for JD, IMO. 

i'm not saying this negatively because i want to keep him - but where is he gonna go?  it's simple - jamal can play here for the next 3 years and continue to work out a deal, hopefully sooner rather than later, or he can sit out, get fined and not get paid.  i hope they work something out.

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i'm not saying this negatively because i want to keep him - but where is he gonna go?  it's simple - jamal can play here for the next 3 years and continue to work out a deal, hopefully sooner rather than later, or he can sit out, get fined and not get paid.  i hope they work something out.

What you're saying makes sense but that's not how it works in reality. Players hold out, cause a distraction and teams move on and get some value for them. That's just how it works, contract or not. If you let it get to a boiling point/hold out the value you get in return is less. If Adams is going to draw a line in the sand the Jets would be smart to either sign him long term or trade him instead of taking a hard line and reducing his value.

NFL players have a 3.3 year average career. They have to cash in while they can and Adams has outplayed his contract. I don't want him to hold out but I get it if he is going to force his hand here.

8 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

It's Jamal Adams. He LUUUVVVSSS to play football. So, I would not be overly concerned about a holdout. He is at times immature, but he's intelligent. He has to understand that the Jets need to get something if they are going to pay him on a long term before year 4 of his rookie contract when they, for all intents and purposes, control him for 3 more years. These things take time, I have faith that this year or next a deal will get done. When there are good negotiators involved on both sides, no one every truly gets everything they want. Jamal wants an early payday and to be able to get it young enough so he gets another big contract in his future. It is a very big deal in the NFL for a non QB to position himself for 2 big contracts. Jamal is going to have to give a little to get this done now.   

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Did you just watch this on Showtime too?

I'll answer your question with another question. Why does Matt Damon think he's so friggin good at poker?  is it cause he bluffed Johnnie Chan once at the Taj? 

According to Sprotrac, Jamal's current market value as the #1 SS is 6 years $88.5 million. I'm sure both sides are comfortably in this range and arguing over guarantees and front loading the deal. After all, for the player and agent it is all about the guaranteed money and the salary in the first 3 years of the deal. But, the team wants money at the end so they can realize cap savings if the player is cut or doesn't play up to the deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/jamal-adams-21747/market-value/

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I'll answer your question with another question. Why does Matt Damon think he's so friggin good at poker?  is it cause he bluffed Johnnie Chan once at the Taj? 

Yeah.  The story kind of doesn't pass the smell test.  Law student who moonlights as a poker genius?? Rather than some delinquent economics student who's had a couple of collections agencies after him and been canvassing various small time poker circuits before taking a shot at Vegas.  But that doesn't make as good a story so Matt looks so cool.  I have to admit that Edward Norton makes a great acumbag though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It's because of that leverage I don't expect JD to sign JA this year.  

I think JD is sincere in wanting to sign Jamal.  But it makes more sense he try and get a contract done next year.  After another "prove it" year.  JD will have way more CAP space to work with next year.  

At the same time...JD isn't going to give JA's agent a blank check to fill in the number$$$.  If JA wants the moon...JD could "jettison" him for picks before next year's draft...or wait til the franchise tag year.  

JD has the leverage...3 years worth of it.  If JA is there year three...JD could be adding a 4th Supe ring on his fingers.  And Jamal...hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. 

After that...I don't care🤣

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

I vote - do nothing.  The Jets are holding all the cards despite what some media twerps think.

He does not want to play for $3.5 - fine sit and get nothing.

Next year he gets tagged.  I doubt he sits for the tag amount.

Is he worth more than the $3.5 - of course he is.  Is he worth $14 - no way.  Now if he was a WR, a CB or an OT - I might see it differently.

so does he sit for 8 games and then comes back for the last games to get counted for the year?  

there are lots of fines in that scenario also.

1 minute ago, GreenReaper said:

It's because of that leverage I don't expect JD to sign JA this year.  

I think JD is sincere in wanting to sign Jamal.  But it makes more sense he try and get a contract done next year.  After another "prove it" year.  JD will have way more CAP space to work with next year.  

At the same time...JD isn't going to give JA's agent a blank check to fill in the number$$$.  If JA wants the moon...JD could "jettison" him for picks before next year's draft...or wait til the franchise tag year.  

JD has the leverage...3 years worth of it.  If he's there year three...JD could be adding a 4th Supe ring on his fingers.  And Jamal...hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. 

After that...I don't care🤣

lol - Jamal Adams has to prove what, exactly? He's the best SS in the league - first team all-pro. He's proven.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Didn’t Dallas offer us a 1st and a 3rd last year? And now that rumored to be what we’re looking for in return. Kind of stupid tbh like how we dangled Robby at 2 deadlines just to lose him for nothing. I’m tired of the games either sign this dude or trade him but just figure it out 

and we would have gotten the 1st and 3rd already.  didn't dallas get that good WR in round 1.   i'd trade that WR and a 3rd for Adams + his expensive contract. 

42 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What you're saying makes sense but that's not how it works in reality. Players hold out, cause a distraction and teams move on and get some value for them. That's just how it works, contract or not. If you let it get to a boiling point/hold out the value you get in return is less. If Adams is going to draw a line in the sand the Jets would be smart to either sign him long term or trade him instead of taking a hard line and reducing his value.

NFL players have a 3.3 year average career. They have to cash in while they can and Adams has outplayed his contract. I don't want him to hold out but I get it if he is going to force his hand here.

Not if they are worth anything plenty of worthless players are what makes it 3+

Really can't respond to this without knowing a) what the contract would be that he would accept and b) what the trade compensation would be. 2 huge factors.

I like the guy as a player but will he cost to keep? Who (player) or what (picks) would a team be offering in a deal?

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

lol - Jamal Adams has to prove what, exactly? He's the best SS in the league - first team all-pro. He's proven.

Yer right. 

But how is JD going to negotiate with JA's agent?  Try and reason with them and their ridiculous demands?  Give and take right?   

As far as I'm concerned I'd like to see him signed.  He's a leader...it's in his DNA.  Those type of players transcend their positional value.  You can draft for several years and not get a true leader type.  Talent..yes...leaders...rare.

That's how I think JD sees it.  He would like to keep JA.

So no...he doesn't need to "prove it" in the true sense of the word.  But you do have to negotiate and get the $term$ into something reasonable.  Play the positional value card. Or...more INTs-PDs-FFs please...etc. 

Again...I just don't see anything happening this year though. 

Trade. His value is the best it will ever be for a trade, and Maye and Davis is still an above average duo. Less social media distractions will be a breath of fresh air.

On top of this, an idiot like Jerry Jones will give up a first and 3rd for him now. Totally the right direction in the rebuilding of a franchise.

• Upvote 1