Jamal Adams...sign him or trade him?

Assuming Jamal is looking to be highest paid safety in the NFL, should Joe D sign him or move him for multiple premium picks?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Sign or trade?

43 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

so does he sit for 8 games and then comes back for the last games to get counted for the year?  

there are lots of fines in that scenario also.

Guys like Revis sit. Guys like Jamal hold out during camp, show up in time to play, and then sulk to the media during the year. All the while playing the game the only way he knows how --- with high intensity and great passion.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Trade. His value is the best it will ever be for a trade, and Maye and Davis is still an above average duo. Less social media distractions will be a breath of fresh air.

On top of this, an idiot like Jerry Jones will give up a first and 3rd for him now. Totally the right direction in the rebuilding of a franchise.

You’ve got a third round rookie penciled in as a starter? That’s pretty confident. 

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Guys like Revis sit. Guys like Jamal hold out during camp, show up in time to play, and then sulk to the media during the year. All the while playing the game the only way he knows how --- with high intensity and great passion.

We'll see.

These are not the only options.  There is no need to sign him to a contract this year when he has 2 years left on his current deal.  With it being uncertain they will even play this year, what's the rush to give him $15 million per at this point.  Adams either takes a reasonable deal now, or he waits until next year.....  

With 40 million Americans out of work, holding out because he wants $15 million now instead of the $3.5 million in his signed current deal makes him look horribly selfish.  He has no leverage other than a hold out, which only hurts him and the team and accomplishes nothing, ever. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I know we don't need another Jamal thread, but trying to get an idea as to where the fan base is in terms of who wants him here and who wants to move him for picks.

Sign or trade?

Yet here it is ...... 

• Haha 2

Okay, so what should the Jets do if Jamal wants a new deal and decides to pull a Revis and not show until he gets his money.j

Fines might be stiff, but they aren't stiff enough to make up for the pay raise he'd be looking at if he gets his deal.

Connor Hughes now saying the Jets have no intention of trading Jamal.  Remember, Connor got every exclusive interview with the team's new free agents after carrying water for Gase most of the season.  Hughes and Costello are mouth pieces at this point and they do it in exchange for access.  Can't say I blame them in all honesty.

As badly as it blew up for the Jets last year to let it be known they answered calls about Jamal, they're likely asking Hughes to put it out there that they have no interest in making a move.

If Dallas calls and blows them out of the water, Jamal is gone IMO.

Before the draft, when it might have helped us for 2020, I supported trading him for a 1 and a 3.  

For (one hypothetical) example, CeeDee Lamb (WR) at #17 and LLoyd Cushenberry (C) at #83. 

I think we're a better team today with that than w/ Adams.

But it didn't happen.

Now, today?  I do nothing now, he is under contract and I don't pay him a single extra cent for 2020.  Let him play out 2020 then look to trade him for 2021 picks if the draft looks deep enough and the offer is worth it.

If he'll accept a moderate cost long-term deal, appropriate for the limited impact of a Strong Safety, sure, sign him I suppose.  No deal if he demands a no trade clause, IMO.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Before the draft, when it might have helped us for 2020, I supported trading him for a 1 and a 3.  

For (one hypothetical) example, CeeDee Lamb (WR) at #17 and LLoyd Cushenberry (C) at #83. 

I think we're a better team today with that than w/ Adams.

But it didn't happen.

Now, today?  I do nothing now, he is under contract and I don't pay him a single extra cent for 2020.  Let him play out 2020 then look to trade him for 2021 picks if the draft looks deep enough and the offer is worth it.

If he'll accept a moderate cost long-term deal, appropriate for the limited impact of a Strong Safety, sure, sign him I suppose.  No deal if he demands a no trade clause, IMO.  

i think we would be potentially a much better team - with more salary cap.  but Adams is all pro.  low odds of a mid first round pick becoming all pro.

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

Didn’t Dallas offer us a 1st and a 3rd last year? And now that rumored to be what we’re looking for in return. Kind of stupid tbh like how we dangled Robby at 2 deadlines just to lose him for nothing. I’m tired of the games either sign this dude or trade him but just figure it out 

Source?

40 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i think we would be potentially a much better team - with more salary cap.  but Adams is all pro.  low odds of a mid first round pick becoming all pro.

Life is all about risk vs. reward and weighing alternatives and priorities.

I think we're a better and more competitive team with another good WR prospect (and CeeDee Lamb was a very good prospect, as were a few selected after him) and another good O-lineman.  Or if you prefer, an Edge prospect.  Or a CB.  Or some other Lineman, if you like.

But as I say, it didn't happen.  So we retained our All-Pro Strong Safety and will probably pay him a king's ransom.  He's a good player, no complaints.  I'd have just preferred to invest more in offense around Sam, but that's just my opinion.    Everything comes at a cost.  If we're not as good on Offense in 2020 as we want, part of that was because we chose to keep Adams.  If folks are ok with that, great.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Life is all about risk vs. reward and weighing alternatives and priorities.

I think we're a better and more competitive team with another good WR prospect (and CeeDee Lamb was a very good prospect, as were a few selected after him) and another good O-lineman.  Or if you prefer, an Edge prospect.  Or a CB.  Or some other Lineman, if you like.

But as I say, it didn't happen.  So we retained our All-Pro Strong Safety and will probably pay him a king's ransom.  He's a good player, no complaints.  I'd have just preferred to invest more in offense around Sam, but that's just my opinion.    Everything comes at a cost.  If we're not as good on Offense in 2020 as we want, part of that was because we chose to keep Adams.  If folks are ok with that, great.

We invested in Sam. We’ve addressed our biggest need surrounding him with blockers in both FA and taking a Tackle in the 1st. We drafted Mims right after that in the top of the 2nd. We replaced Robby with Perriman. 

We’ve got to keep the D up to the task, too. Everyone’s saying we need an Edge rusher, but Clowney (or Clooney if you prefer) is holding out for someone to overpay him. And I believe Clowney knows where he wants to go, he’s just waiting for the right team to up their offer. After that it’s Markus Golden time. That’s not getting many people excited. Neither is Darquez Dennard. JD is looking to add to CB but obviously waiting for Logan Ryan to come back down to earth regarding his 10 million demand. 

Which is a long winded, roundabout way of saying that we haven’t ignored the rest of the roster simply by paying Jamal Adams. 

4 hours ago, Prez33 said:

The rumor is the Jets will settle for a 1st and a 3rd. That’s not enough. You’re trading an established potential HOF player for a couple of unknowns? 

What’s the success rate on 1st round picks? 50-60%? And don’t even get me started on 3rd rounders. Jets fans know the cruelty of that round. This is going to end badly. We’re gonna get fleeced if we trade him. 

It's not just the picks.  It's also the money we save by not paying him.

You do realize we're going to have to hand Sam Darnold something like $35-40M per in a couple years, no?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He'll fake an injury for the Chiefs game.  About 75 % sure he won't be playing in that one.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Connor Hughes now saying the Jets have no intention of trading Jamal.  Remember, Connor got every exclusive interview with the team's new free agents after carrying water for Gase most of the season.  Hughes and Costello are mouth pieces at this point and they do it in exchange for access.  Can't say I blame them in all honesty.

As badly as it blew up for the Jets last year to let it be known they answered calls about Jamal, they're likely asking Hughes to put it out there that they have no interest in making a move.

If Dallas calls and blows them out of the water, Jamal is gone IMO.

What's Manish saying about it?

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not just the picks.  It's also the money we save by not paying him.

You do realize we're going to have to hand Sam Darnold something like $35-40M per in a couple years, no?

How many guys on this roster are getting big contracts right now?  LeVeon Bell will either be restructured or let go next season. That alone frees up plenty of money. Our salary cap will look much different in a couple of years. Jamal Adams isn’t going to single handedly destroy our cap space. 

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I prefer to sign him because he's a top tier NFL player in his prime and those are the type of players we should be trying to acquire and keep. If we must trade him I'm fine with it as long as we get good value. I think his value is closer to 2 first round picks than 1.

If he was on another team would you trade 2 first rounders and then sign him to a market setting contract ?

Im pretty sure Jacksonville will take less for Nakagowe or whatever his name is.   Is he less valuable?

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

war football GIF

Great movie and great quote    Whats the limit here?   Where do u draw the line?   I think most would say if he wants QB money tell him to go screw.  What if he wants more than Mosely? 
At what point does his salary become more of a hindrance than his play on the field is helpful?

6 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I understand the leverage part, but disgruntled players nowadays don’t stay for long. Would you want an angry person in your building?  I’m not saying Jamal’s completely innocent here, as he has already come out publicly with his complaints. That’s a bad look, and it’s why he’s now saying “I want to be a Jet”.  I understand his demand: he’s arguably the best safety in the NFL and wants to be paid accordingly. But I also understand that he’s under contract and the team doesn’t have to do anything for a few years. JD’s gotta think team first. Big picture. And other guys are going to have to be paid soon. 

Nobody ever said this stuff was easy. This is a really tough decision for JD, IMO. 

Yes keeping disgruntled players is a distraction but letting them jerk you around isnt a good precedent to set.   If he doesnt want to sign a contract thats reasonable considering hes got 2-3 yrs left before FA , and Douglas couldnt get what he thought was fair value, Id let him rot.   Agents and players would take notice and it would be less likely to recur.   The whole advantage of draft picks is their first contract is a value if they are successful-Letting them unilaterally break them isnt good practice or business.

5 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Yeah.  The story kind of doesn't pass the smell test.  Law student who moonlights as a poker genius?? Rather than some delinquent economics student who's had a couple of collections agencies after him and been canvassing various small time poker circuits before taking a shot at Vegas.  But that doesn't make as good a story so Matt looks so cool.  I have to admit that Edward Norton makes a great acumbag though.

What?  As opposed to Good Will Hunting where hes a genius janitor at Harvard? 
Or the Bourne movies where he kills many and never gets nicked?   They are entertainment not a documentary 

15 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

If he was on another team would you trade 2 first rounders and then sign him to a market setting contract ?

Im pretty sure Jacksonville will take less for Nakagowe or whatever his name is.   Is he less valuable?

Dallas is supposedly a great safety away from a complete defense. Adams is a Dallas guy, and the fit makes a lot of sense. 

But even though I think he’s worth 2 first rounders, doesn’t mean we’ll get it. If this situation gets a lot uglier, I could see JD pulling the trigger on a trade for a 1 and another pick like a 3rd. 

7 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Yes keeping disgruntled players is a distraction but letting them jerk you around isnt a good precedent to set.   If he doesnt want to sign a contract thats reasonable considering hes got 2-3 yrs left before FA , and Douglas couldnt get what he thought was fair value, Id let him rot.   Agents and players would take notice and it would be less likely to recur.   The whole advantage of draft picks is their first contract is a value if they are successful-Letting them unilaterally break them isnt good practice or business.

True, but another message that’s sent out is that the Jets don’t take care of their best players. JA is most definitely that right now. 

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I agree with this. 

People mistakenly interpret Jamal's personality...as if he doesn't love the game of football.  IMO...sitting out football...is not in his DNA. 

Don't think he gets a new contract this year.  Yes...he may sulk about it from time to time...but will play his heart out on that football field.   That won't change...it's the only way he knows how to play the game.  His pride and his ego will never let it be different.

Differing on whether Adams is worth paying and keeping...vs getting valued picks instead...is a valid discussion.  But to me...it seems...some go overboard and disparage him...based on disliking his personality.  Maybe they never been in a locker room before.   You get all types in there.  You overcome prejudices...etc.  And you come together and play as a team.  Or they get rid of you. 

Whether Jamal stays long term or gets traded remains to be seen.  But you should respect one thing about him...  

Jamal's dedication and love for the game is legit.          

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Really can't respond to this without knowing a) what the contract would be that he would accept and b) what the trade compensation would be. 2 huge factors.

I like the guy as a player but will he cost to keep? Who (player) or what (picks) would a team be offering in a deal?

This is it in a nutshell.   If someone offered 2 high number ones in next years draft, I have no doubt he d be gone.  If he would sign for the next 6 yrs for 10 million a year, the deal would be already done.

This is similar to Dallas dealing with Dak Prescott, though Dak has more leverage because hes a QB and has played out his contract. They want him, but if he prices himself out of the market, they will have no choice but to salvage the situation with a trade.

5 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Dallas is supposedly a great safety away from a complete defense. Adams is a Dallas guy, and the fit makes a lot of sense. 

But even though I think he’s worth 2 first rounders, doesn’t mean we’ll get it. If this situation gets a lot uglier, I could see JD pulling the trigger on a trade for a 1 and another pick like a 3rd. 

Dallas is trying to sign their QB who turned down 35 mill a year.   I dont see them spending a penny elsewhere until thats resolved