Jamal Adams...sign him or trade him?

Assuming Jamal is looking to be highest paid safety in the NFL, should Joe D sign him or move him for multiple premium picks?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Sign or trade?

How do you know that? That all he cares about is money?   

That’s an assumption that fans make. A guy wants to be paid closer to what he’s worth, and he’s all of a sudden just about the money. I think it’s real easy for us to say that. Imagine if you were in his shoes, going to pro bowls, being named All Pro, and getting money nowhere near what you’re worth. I think your perspective would change quite a bit. 

All of his words and actions to date have made it clear he is a me-first player who wants to be paid like one of the top defensive players in the league. And he’ll cause problems here until he gets it. He’s also expressed a desire to play for Dallas.

Do with that information whatever you’d like.

48 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

My analogy is this: 

You’re the owner/boss of a small company, and you start people out at a set salary when they’re hired. Let’s say two employees stand out in particular among the rest. Their accomplishments are clearly above those of others, and yet they’re still making the same salary in year two or three that others are. 

Those two employees come to you and say “I know you’re usual policy is to give raises after 5  years, but anyway you can bend those rules? We know who the people are that kick ass around here, right? You can count on us to continue to deliver big results for years to come”. 

Your call, boss. 

A6A27481-4876-4BE3-8043-FB38F7FE26F4.gif

Its a little different

None of my employees got a huge signing bonus

Also none of my employees are making 3.5 million a year and will automatically get a huge raise on top of that the following year.

Other than that, its the same

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Adams All For Trade To Dallas

This links to a report about Adams agent putting it out there that he wants  to go to Dallas. 

Honestly, I am tired of this. I have been a die hard supporter of keeping and paying him but this act has gotten old. I can see this being a distraction all season if we don't give him a contract as the press will not let this die unless Adams comes our and declares he will play out the season and either sign a contract  after or seek a new team and I doubt that is happening. 

As far as keep him or trade him, I didn't  vote because I don't  care anymore.  If we trade him, fine, if we sign him, also fine,  as long as I don't  have to read this BS anymore

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you gave Jamal Adams the choice of playing for the Jets or the Cowboys, which do you think he’d choose? 

I think there’s been speculation that he’d prefer Dallas. But has HE said that, or the “people close to him” possibly trying to stir the pot? I honestly don’t know the answer to that. 

Regardless, I’m sure JA is like a lot of players. They have a short list of teams they’d consider playing for if put in the position to choose. He’s from Dallas, so it would make sense that he’d love to play there if things with the Jets fell through. 

I will also say this: I believe him 100% when he says he wants to be a Jet. As in, it’s likely his preference as long as they pay him for his production. 

1 hour ago, Prez33 said:

If a player is clearly outperforming their contract, you’ve gotta keep that in mind, too. 

Eddie Jackson of the Bears getting 14.6 million a year. Byard, Mathieu, and Collins are also over 14 million per. Jamal Adams is getting 3.5 million. That’s not a slight difference. That’s a Grand Canyon size difference. 

You don’t have to keep it in mind, not if the player’s under contract. He’s currently obligated to play this year for $3.5M, that’s what he agreed to. This is why everyone stresses building football teams thru the draft, it’s the only way to get premium talent on the roster inexpensively. 

And Jamal has no recourse. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Adams All For Trade To Dallas

This links to a report about Adams agent putting it out there that he wants  to go to Dallas. 

Honestly, I am tired of this. I have been a die hard supporter of keeping and paying him but this act has gotten old. I can see this being a distraction all season if we don't give him a contract as the press will not let this die unless Adams comes our and declares he will play out the season and either sign a contract  after or seek a new team and I doubt that is happening. 

As far as keep him or trade him, I didn't  vote because I don't  care anymore.  If we trade him, fine, if we sign him, also fine,  as long as I don't  have to read this BS anymore

98D8F37B-C909-40C7-BE72-CA2D08F6C1B9.gif

50 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Its a little different

None of my employees got a huge signing bonus

Also none of my employees are making 3.5 million a year and will automatically get a huge raise on top of that the following year.

Other than that, its the same

None of your employees are risking their brain health either, smashing into people on a regular basis. 

So I guess you’re right. It’s not the same. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

You don’t have to keep it in mind, not if the player’s under contract. He’s currently obligated to play this year for $3.5M, that’s what he agreed to. This is why everyone stresses building football teams thru the draft, it’s the only way to get premium talent on the roster inexpensively. 

And Jamal has no recourse. 

I get that he’s under contract, but just as a GM can cut a player at any given time and void large sums of money that would’ve gone to the player, a player’s situation evolves, too. A player underperforming his deal gets whacked, and we all applaud the GM for doing the right thing. 

But a player overperforming his deal is a selfish prick who we need to trade for having the audacity to ask for a justifiable raise. 

9 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

None of your employees are risking their brain health either, smashing into people on a regular basis. 

No my employees are risking their lives taking care of people that might have Covid or a bunch of other diseases.   And for far less money than Adams.

7 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

I get that he’s under contract, but just as a GM can cut a player at any given time and void large sums of money that would’ve gone to the player, a player’s situation evolves, too. A player underperforming his deal gets whacked, and we all applaud the GM for doing the right thing. 

But a player overperforming his deal is a selfish prick who we need to trade for having the audacity to ask for a justifiable raise. 

He knew what the NFL was when he signed up. His father played in the league. You’re kinda new here, but I’m always 100% supportive of players doing everything they can to make as much money as they can. It’s a business, for both sides. Unfortunately for Jamal, his union just signed off on making holding out an almost impossible option. He has no recourse. He can ask for a new contract with two years left on his current one, but the Jets would be foolish to pay him. There’s not a ton of precedent for re-upping players on their rookie deals with two years left. And probably next to none for safeties. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

No my employees are risking their lives taking care of people that might have Covid or a bunch of other diseases.   And for far less money than Adams.

I’m one of those workers on the front line. 

Jamal Adams should make more than me. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

You’re making $3.6M this year? Damn! 

No I make way less than that. I make a salary proportional to what I do. Jamal Adams does equal or better work than the aforementioned safeties and gets bread crumbs compared to what they make. 

• Haha 1

I think Jamal is a phenomenal player, but 14 million (although the going rate for a top SS) is a lot of salary tied to a non-critical position.  Let him go to a team that can afford what he deserves and let the Jets focus on getting elite talent at more important positions.  

Bottom line, when a SS is your best player and Adam Gase is your head coach, you should never wonder why you suck. 

• Upvote 2

My annoyance with the situation is that people somehow think in this situation that Jamal should be getting free market value when he is under financial control for 2-3 (franchise tag) years. So in a negotiation there is no reason for the Jets to sign him to something other than a team friendly deal. "well what's in it for Jamal" getting guaranteed cash early. That's what. Personally if it was my finances and I can get a guaranteed 20 million I'd be fine with it. But then again I'd put it a ton of it into stable growth mutual funds and be set for life. This is also because I am a non-nfl player who thinks about finances as someone who's not making funny money. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

1  Jerry Jones hasnt stroked a check to Prescott yet, and its a no brainer that a QB is way more vital to winning than a strong safety.

2  Jerry Jones hasnt won sh*t since Aikman retired.

paying Dak Prescott maybe isn't a smart move but he's paid everyone else

Jerry Jones hasn't won any hardware but his teams are in the mix

Woody's teams haven't been competitive for a decade 

10 year playoff drought 3rd worst in the NFL 

none of these guys are stellar human beings but at least Jones is interested

Woody cares about this team so little he gave "control" to Chris and left the country

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

paying Dak Prescott maybe isn't a smart move but he's paid everyone else

Jerry Jones hasn't won any hardware but his teams are in the mix

Woody's teams haven't been competitive for a decade 

10 year playoff drought 3rd worst in the NFL 

none of these guys are stellar human beings but at least Jones is interested

Woody cares about this team so little he gave "control" to Chris and left the country

Hey theres no argument that we ve been brutal but pointing out the Cowboys as the model to pay everyone doesnt compute.  For one thing, when you have a great team you cant pay everybody.  And they havent been great doing it their way.  Its all about the draft in todays NFL.  Cheaper players with less mileage and smaller egos.

Why not the Pats and Steelers as the role models to follow?   Theyve been more successful and trade guys for picks or let them leave and accumulate comp picks.   

19 hours ago, vtbx said:
My biggest concern in signing Jamal to a new contract is how much the salary cap could drop in 2021. If it is the projected 70-80 mil decrease, it's too risky to extend him now.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/4/22/21230404/nfl-2020-season-covid-19-adam-schefter-2021-salary-cap

This

—-

Salarycap fallout from Coronavirus still tbd.

Very big mistake to pay at this years salary #’s when next years #’s should drop significantly

---

This is true for free agent signings as well as deals for our own players.

If JD continues to avoid paying one of these big name FA big money then he is truly looking long-term and playing chess

---

Thank God we have JD in charge and not Mac

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Prez33 said:

No one is putting a gun to his head or anybody else that plays professional sports.   I guess they balance their love for the game and the fact that in one year they make more than 90 percent of the population does in their entire lives against the risk.   If you want to cry for a player , Id save it for one of the UDFA making minimal money and fighting for a chance to be a wedge breaker on special teams with the same risk.

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I want to pay Jamal....

and I will say this, if we do deal him and they don’t pan out....it will be the worst trade ever 

Yes it would suck if they trade him for picks that dont pan out.   But if they trade him, it will be more about saving salary that can be used elsewhere, than just getting draft picks.   The savings are real regardless.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Yes it would suck if they trade him for picks that dont pan out.   But if they trade him, it will be more about saving salary that can be used elsewhere, than just getting draft picks.   The savings are real regardless.

The thing is, as Jets fans we should know by now that good teams are built through the draft. It’s ironic to me that we know this, and yet we call for trading our most successful draft pick in years. Darnold and Adams can be foundational players. With JD at the helm, we should be able to fill in the rest in a few more drafts. Darnold is 23 and JA is 24. They’re young enough to get through the next year or two of preparation. 

On 5/23/2020 at 3:09 PM, Prez33 said:

No I make way less than that. I make a salary proportional to what I do. Jamal Adams does equal or better work than the aforementioned safeties and gets bread crumbs compared to what they make. 

As soon as Jamal does something that warrants being paid as the top safety in the league, we should talk.

And then when he does, we can trade him for even more, because I don't remember an NFL team that won a Super Bowl because they had the best safety in the league who completely took over games defensively to the point it swayed the outcome of an event.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

As soon as Jamal does something that warrants being paid as the top safety in the league, we should talk.

And then when he does, we can trade him for even more, because I don't remember an NFL team that won a Super Bowl because they had the best safety in the league who completely took over games defensively to the point it swayed the outcome of an event.

Stop already. Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, Earl Thomas, Steve Atwater.

All of these S's greatly contrubuted to their teams success.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Stop already. Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, Earl Thomas, Steve Atwater.

All of these S's greatly contrubuted to their teams success.

And every single one of those Safeties brought/bring more to the table than Jamal. 

• Upvote 3