Jamal Adams...sign him or trade him?

Assuming Jamal is looking to be highest paid safety in the NFL, should Joe D sign him or move him for multiple premium picks?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Sign or trade?

3 hours ago, GaryM said:

...if the team wanted to move on from [Adams], I wouldn’t see it as a “Jets move.” I’d see it as a young general manager making a smart decision when it comes to how he uses the team’s money.

That’s really it in a nutshell for me. Good article! 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

As soon as Jamal does something that warrants being paid as the top safety in the league, we should talk.

And then when he does, we can trade him for even more, because I don't remember an NFL team that won a Super Bowl because they had the best safety in the league who completely took over games defensively to the point it swayed the outcome of an event.

I guess two All Pro’s in consecutive years (one first team) aren’t enough to convince people he’s the best. Even though that’s exactly what being All Pro means. Players of that caliber affect the game, no matter where they play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Prez33 said:

The thing is, as Jets fans we should know by now that good teams are built through the draft. It’s ironic to me that we know this, and yet we call for trading our most successful draft pick in years. Darnold and Adams can be foundational players. With JD at the helm, we should be able to fill in the rest in a few more drafts. Darnold is 23 and JA is 24. They’re young enough to get through the next year or two of preparation. 

Draft picks are valuable because they can produce a lot of bang for the buck.  He is minimizing his value by trying to accelerate the process. 

FWIW I think hes a good player maybe great  Id love to have him retire a Jet

But im not a big fan of overpaying for anything and he seems to be pushing it.  I hope it works out.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You're  right, because the Jets have had zero success since drafting him because the team as a whole sucks

And how exactly does paying a SS $15mil+ dig us out of the hole that is "the team as a whole sucks"?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Prez33 said:

The thing is, as Jets fans we should know by now that good teams are built through the draft. It’s ironic to me that we know this, and yet we call for trading our most successful draft pick in years. Darnold and Adams can be foundational players. With JD at the helm, we should be able to fill in the rest in a few more drafts. Darnold is 23 and JA is 24. They’re young enough to get through the next year or two of preparation. 

That's why it was a stupid move by Macc taking a non-premium position at #6 overall and with JD at the helm we won't be seeing moronic moves like Macc made.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

As soon as Jamal does something that warrants being paid as the top safety in the league, we should talk.

And then when he does, we can trade him for even more, because I don't remember an NFL team that won a Super Bowl because they had the best safety in the league who completely took over games defensively to the point it swayed the outcome of an event.

What did Adams, a self proclaimed generational safety, do the first 8 games of last season to make a difference?

- started out 1-7 record
- 1 sack (Dolphins)
- 5 passes defended
- 1 int (garbage time)

- 1-1 record when he was out against the Dolphins and Ravens during the 6-2 finish to end the season

He is not a game changing player..... because he's a SS/ILB.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Adams is a very good player who was also a bad pick.  And not one that Douglas would have made in the first place.  

Thus, the "keep your homegrown players" argument doesn't fly here.  The GM that drafted Adams is currently unemployed.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I guess two All Pro’s in consecutive years (one first team) aren’t enough to convince people he’s the best. Even though that’s exactly what being All Pro means. Players of that caliber affect the game, no matter where they play. 

Punters and Kick Returners make the All-Pro team too.  

39 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

What did Adams, a self proclaimed generational safety, do the first 8 games of last season to make a difference?

- started out 1-7 record
- 1 sack (Dolphins)
- 5 passes defended
- 1 int (garbage time)

- 1-1 record when he was out against the Dolphins and Ravens during the 6-2 finish to end the season

He is not a game changing player..... because he's a SS/ILB.

JUST A MINUTE!

This kind of statistic fly's DIRECTLY in the face of those who say he is a generational talent and best in the league!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Stop already. Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, Earl Thomas, Steve Atwater.

All of these S's greatly contrubuted to their teams success.

I think you missed the part where I said completely taken over games and won them.

And by the way, Jamal Adams is NOWHERE near Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, and Earl Thomas....the only similarities between Jamal and these players are they played the same position.  That's it.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I think you missed the part where I said completely taken over games and won them.

And by the way, Jamal Adams is NOWHERE near Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, and Earl Thomas....the only similarities between Jamal and these players are they played the same position.  That's it.

As far as talent level, I don't  agree at all. Adams does everything well. And no player on D except for maybe an edge takes over and wins a game and even that is rare. Games are won with O. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Vader said:

Seriously — all the ppl calling Adams an ILB sound completely ignorant. Like, watch some film. 

@Big_Slick thanks for the downvote. Since I contend Adams isn’t an ILB and you disagree — what is your issue with my statement?

the ignorance on the board is over the top. Regardless of whether u think Adams deserves a contract now or later or whatev.

So Let me ask you — what side does Adams usually line up? Strong side or weak?

38 minutes ago, Vader said:

@Big_Slick thanks for the downvote. Since I contend Adams isn’t an ILB and you disagree — what is your issue with my statement?

the ignorance on the board is over the top. Regardless of whether u think Adams deserves a contract now or later or whatev.

I have a better question, does he even know the difference between strong and weak side

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have a better question, does he even know the difference between strong and weak side

He directs the defense at the LOS and secondary. You tell me. Dude is known as a student of film. 

1 minute ago, Vader said:

He directs the defense at the LOS and secondary. You tell me. Dude is known as a student of film. 

I was talking about the guy that called him an ILB.  Clearly  he doesn't  know what a SS is. Anyone that says that has no idea what SS job is as compared to ILB. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

That's why it was a stupid move by Macc taking a non-premium position at #6 overall and with JD at the helm we won't be seeing moronic moves like Macc made.

Look at the first 10 picks of that draft. How many people were honestly talking about Pat Mahomes in the top 10? When KC moved up to get him, it raised a lot of eyebrows. They hit a grand slam, but most teams had lower first round grades on him. Most draft evaluations had Trubisky rated higher. (Yes, they got that horribly wrong). 

After that, Myles Garrett was a lock to Cleveland. The only other player the Jets would’ve even considered was maybe Christian McCaffrey. But again, a RB at #6? That pick would’ve been slammed by media and fans alike at the time. 

The Jets took who many were saying was the best player in the draft besides Myles. He slid to the Jets, and many Jets fans were doing cartwheels. But now we’re saying it was a bad decision? C’mon. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Punters and Kick Returners make the All-Pro team too.  

Yes. And they affect the game, too. Having someone who can take it to the house is a nice thing to have. 

But we’re not really comparing punters to JA now, are we? We’re getting into straw man arguments now. 

Such a non-story.   JD doesn't want to trade him unless it's a kings ransom because you don't trade all pro team leaders who haven't even reached their prime.

I patiently await the tears in the extension thread whether it be this offseason or the next.

6 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I guess all those AP votes were wrong. Dumb guys, those experts. 

If you want to believe he is the best safety in the game because a bunch of guys in a pressbox think so, and worth $16 million a year, be my guest.  No amount of sarcasm is going to change my mind, or any other person on this board who thinks otherwise.

I like Jamal Adams, and think our defense has been better with him.  But there is no way we should be handed him $16 million a season. Harrison Smith is a better safety, and his stats across the board are better than Jamal's except in one area: QB hits and sacks.  Why?  Because he isn't used like a LB like Jamal is.  That said, Smith's contract was around the $50 million mark for 5 years.  

If you want to hand Jamal that kind of money, or a bit north say in the $12 million range, sure. 

But I am glad none of the die-hard supporters on here are our GM's who would make him the highest paid safety in history while we still have Sam on his rookie contract. 

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

As far as talent level, I don't  agree at all. Adams does everything well. And no player on D except for maybe an edge takes over and wins a game and even that is rare. Games are won with O. 

This is your Aha! moment! The is the argument for trading Adams! Offense wins in today's league, and Adams doesn't even play a premium position on defense. If you can convert his value into value on offense (or CB or Edge on defense), you're improving the team. 

8 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Look at the first 10 picks of that draft. How many people were honestly talking about Pat Mahomes in the top 10? When KC moved up to get him, it raised a lot of eyebrows. They hit a grand slam, but most teams had lower first round grades on him. Most draft evaluations had Trubisky rated higher. (Yes, they got that horribly wrong). 

After that, Myles Garrett was a lock to Cleveland. The only other player the Jets would’ve even considered was maybe Christian McCaffrey. But again, a RB at #6? That pick would’ve been slammed by media and fans alike at the time. 

The Jets took who many were saying was the best player in the draft besides Myles. He slid to the Jets, and many Jets fans were doing cartwheels. But now we’re saying it was a bad decision? C’mon. 

Unless you were here under another name, you weren't on this board for that draft. There was A TON of discussion about both Mahomes and Watson at #6. The Jets were in desperate need for a QB, and almost certainly passed because they drafted Hackenberg the year before. And yes, the same guy who drafted Hack also had Trubisky as his top QB in that draft. 

And also, how can you slam the value of a RB at #6 when you're comparing it to a safety? While RB is also a lesser valued position in today's NFL, if you look at salary numbers across the league, teams are paying RBs more than safeties. Who would you rather have on the team, Adams or McCaffrey? I have a preference. But I'll tell you this, too, I'd've also discussed trading him away before paying a RB $16M/year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I want to win.  And I want to win this year.  9 seasons of no playoffs is enough.  So I don't trade my best player unless I can get soemthing back to help the team in 2020.  Someone suggested Jamal for Cowboys 1 and Michael Gallup.  That is the type of deal I would entertain.  But I am not trading him just for picks.  At least not now.  If we are sitting 3-6 at the trade deadline and it is clear we are going nowhere this year, at that point I am willing to trade him for picks.  But not now.

As to an extension.  With two years left on his contract, no reason to rush to extend him now with so much uncertainty over the upcoming season and potential impact on the cap.  TIme for that would be next off-season.

• Post of the Week 1

50 minutes ago, slats said:

This is your Aha! moment! The is the argument for trading Adams! Offense wins in today's league, and Adams doesn't even play a premium position on defense. If you can convert his value into value on offense (or CB or Edge on defense), you're improving the team. 

Unless you were here under another name, you weren't on this board for that draft. There was A TON of discussion about both Mahomes and Watson at #6. The Jets were in desperate need for a QB, and almost certainly passed because they drafted Hackenberg the year before. And yes, the same guy who drafted Hack also had Trubisky as his top QB in that draft. 

And also, how can you slam the value of a RB at #6 when you're comparing it to a safety? While RB is also a lesser valued position in today's NFL, if you look at salary numbers across the league, teams are paying RBs more than safeties. Who would you rather have on the team, Adams or McCaffrey? I have a preference. But I'll tell you this, too, I'd've also discussed trading him away before paying a RB $16M/year. 

Here is my problem with that line of thinking when it comes to Adams. Adams is not your typical S so to say he doesn't  play a premium position isn't  taking into consideration  what he has done on this D. On the Jets D the way his position  has been played, it is a premium position. How can you say it is not? He is a major part of the D and has closed out games. 

I also want to say you don't  win it all without a top D. The elite teams all have great offensive firepower so you have to counter that. No matter who you draft with an Adams trade, the team overall will take a step backwards. You don't  replace pro-bowl and all-pro players with rookies and there is no way of knowing how good a rookie becomes. 

That said, I really don't care if Adams stays or goes but if we trade him, a first and a third is not enough. If that is all the draft capital comes back from Dallas, I want Lawrence as well. 

10 hours ago, Vader said:

Adams is a box safety who primarily lines up close to the line of scrimmage and plays the run.

I down voted you because you called anyone who says Adams is a SS/ILB "completely ignorant".  You're entitled to your opinion but that comes close to a personal attack.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

If you want to believe he is the best safety in the game because a bunch of guys in a pressbox think so, and worth $16 million a year, be my guest.  No amount of sarcasm is going to change my mind, or any other person on this board who thinks otherwise.

I like Jamal Adams, and think our defense has been better with him.  But there is no way we should be handed him $16 million a season. Harrison Smith is a better safety, and his stats across the board are better than Jamal's except in one area: QB hits and sacks.  Why?  Because he isn't used like a LB like Jamal is.  That said, Smith's contract was around the $50 million mark for 5 years.  

If you want to hand Jamal that kind of money, or a bit north say in the $12 million range, sure. 

But I am glad none of the die-hard supporters on here are our GM's who would make him the highest paid safety in history while we still have Sam on his rookie contract. 

You just made a great case for keeping him. Any player that makes your O or D better overall is a must to keep. You don't  improve your team by trading away players that have that kind of effect. 

9 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I repeat, good GM's don't take non-premium positions with the #6 overall pick. It's basic cap and resource management. Most folks agree that QB, CB, WR and edge are the premium positions.

Adams is actually being overpaid because he should of gone in the #12-17 pick range and his rookie contract would have been much less than a player picked at #6.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Adams is a box safety who primarily lines up close to the line of scrimmage and plays the run.

I down voted you because you called anyone who says Adams is a SS/ILB "completely ignorant".  You're entitled to your opinion but that comes close to a personal attack.

Actually he said ILB and anyone who does think Adams plays the part of an ILB is clearly not a very knowledgeable football fan. 

3 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I repeat, good GM's don't take non-premium positions with the #6 overall pick. It's basic cap and resource management. Most folks agree that QB, CB, WR and edge are the premium positions.

Adams is actually being overpaid because he should of gone in the #12-17 pick range and his rookie contract would have been much less than a player picked at #6.

Pee Wee Reaction GIF

9 hours ago, Pac said:

Such a non-story.   JD doesn't want to trade him unless it's a kings ransom because you don't trade all pro team leaders who haven't even reached their prime.

I patiently await the tears in the extension thread whether it be this offseason or the next.

JD is not going to give Adams an extension in 2020. He might trade him but he'll rightfully hold Adams to his contract. We'll have to wait and see how Adams is used in 2020 without all the injuries on defense, GW now has more players at his disposal.

If it helps the Jets to sign him to a realistic extension in 2021 then I'm all for it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Here is my problem with that line of thinking when it comes to Adams. Adams is not your typical S so to say he doesn't  play a premium position isn't  taking into consideration  what he has done on this D. On the Jets D the way his position  has been played, it is a premium position. How can you say it is not? He is a major part of the D and has closed out games. 

I also want to say you don't  win it all without a top D. The elite teams all have great offensive firepower so you have to counter that. No matter who you draft with an Adams trade, the team overall will take a step backwards. You don't  replace pro-bowl and all-pro players with rookies and there is no way of knowing how good a rookie becomes. 

That said, I really don't care if Adams stays or goes but if we trade him, a first and a third is not enough. If that is all the draft capital comes back from Dallas, I want Lawrence as well. 

If the Jets could trade Jamal Adams for Michael Gallup and a first round pick, they're a better team this year and moving forward. There's not a doubt in my mind about that. 

If you trade him for a 1st and 3rd, obviously there are more variables at play there, but you also have to consider the $15M/year (or more) that Adams expects to be paid. Again, if the Jets were to use the money they save on Adams to sign a quality, proven starting outside receiver, they're a better team just doing that - and then they have that extra 1st and 3rd, too. 

I like Jamal Adams as a player and really don't care about his twitter account and self-promotion. But let's not pretend that Gregg Williams couldn't scheme the vast majority of his production out of Mosley, Williamson, Maye, Zuniga, Davis, etc., etc. 

I'll take the picks and the money rather than paying an allegedly elite SS that kinda coin. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1