Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Dude was signed to be a backup. Why wouldnt anyone hate on this move 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nothing not to like about this in my opinion. I wonder if the Jets are thinking he can not only backup Sam, but also be a mentor to James Morgan. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Great signing!  A veteran backup is the smart way to go. The division is wide open.  Can't give away games with a terrible backup QB like the Jets have for the past few years.

 

If it was JD's intention all along to sign a vet backup QB, can we now all agree that James Morgan in the 4th round was a silly pick?

I saw 6-7 videos on Morgan.  I like the pick as a solid long term backup.       

It's the most important position in football.  Even if you have a FQB...you need to seriously address it periodically.  It's a good move to have someone for a long term...that can learn the playbook.  Practice with the team.  And be a yearly constant in that QB room.  IMO...successful teams do this.  And if you draft this position well.  Than maybe the player can become a possible Jimmy Garoppolo or Kirk Cousins type trade chip in year 3 or 4. 

Every time JD looks at that 3rd Supe ring on his finger...he knows the value of having a long term backup like Nick Foles...taking over for your injured starter for the rest of a season. 

 

  

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, choon328 said:

4th round picks rarely become starters.  Something like 13% of the time.  People are making too big of a deal over it. And you can't keep paying veteran QB's to back up Darnold when he gets his $30 million extension. 

Morgan is a developmental QB.  I'm more than happy to give the guy a chance if JD sees something in him (which I would assume he does).  It's even possible we develop him a little and trade him in a couple of years for a better pick.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I do not like this signing at all. Mark me down as a total no go on this one. I never liked how this guy played, and he's the total opposite of Sam Darnold.

Maybe Joe Douglas thinks he'll be a good Mentor in the quarterback room? I just think that if Sam actually goes down they would have to completely change the offense to accommodate Vinny Testaverde jr.

 sorry but I don't like it

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great move. He can come in and be a decent back up And win a few games if needed.  That could be the difference of getting us into the playoffs. Surely JD is not expecting any more than that.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flacco was a decade long starter and won a super bowl. I’d sign up right now for Darnold to have the same career. 

I think the Eli comparison is spot on. Obviously Eli had the better career, but both were money in a big spot and both also ended their career on a sour note. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Honestly I do not like this signing at all. Mark me down as a total no go on this one. I never liked how this guy played, and he's the total opposite of Sam Darnold.

Maybe Joe Douglas thinks he'll be a good Mentor in the quarterback room? I just think that if Sam actually goes down they would have to completely change the offense to accommodate Vinny Testaverde jr.

 sorry but I don't like it

If Sam goes down for an extended period of time the seasons over. Period. Most back ups come in for relief duty - it’s rare that any back up leads a team to the playoffs. This also gives Morgan time to develop and become a viable back up. And Flacco would be a great mentor to both Sam and Morgan.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Great signing!  A veteran backup is the smart way to go. The division is wide open.  Can't give away games with a terrible backup QB like the Jets have for the past few years.

 

If it was JD's intention all along to sign a vet backup QB, can we now all agree that James Morgan in the 4th round was a silly pick?

Because we sign Flacco to back up Sam for this year, it was a bad idea to draft a QB????

My answer to your question is NO.  Now whether Morgan was the right guy to draft is going to be decided by his play

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Smart move considering what’s out there. He can game manage if necessary. Better than throwing Fales out there. 

Anything > Fales

 

but yes if Darnold misses significant time again I’m confident Flacco can get us some Ws

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Love this move!

Me too Boss. Wanted him back when. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

When the roster has crater like holes all over it, picking a longshot QB to develop could have waited and the 4th round pick would have been better utilized by taking a player at a position of need that might actually get on the field and contribute in 2020.

Disagree...I would draft the best available QB in the 4th round every year for the next decade even if Darnold is a perennial All Pro . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jolot said:

Disagree...I would draft the best available QB in the 4th round every year for the next decade even if Darnold is a perennial All Pro . 

The Morgan pick is fine.  If he develops into a decent backup that’s absolutely worth a 4th rd pick

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PS17 said:

Has anyone else had the career trajectory of Flacco? First round pick, moderately skilled, won consistently with a very good team around him, eventually a Super Bowl. And then just average at best and in rapid decline after the first contract. 

And how many GREAT QB's never even won a single Super Bowl.  He's an experienced QB. Would be a great mentor to Morgan AND Sam.   And it's probably no more than a 1 year ring around the rosie.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

And how many GREAT QB's never even won a single Super Bowl.  He's an experienced QB. Would be a great mentor to Morgan AND Sam.   And it's probably no more than a 1 year ring around the rosie.  

I don’t buy the mentor thing at all but I do like having a competent backup QB for a change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

1.5mil up to 4.5 million is cheap. If the guy can carry a clipboard and show Sammy how to be a better pro, we’ll all agree that this was a good investment. 
For those who are in disagreement with the choice, who’d you rather have Fales or Morgan as QB2? Or better yet, let’s bring back McCown ! (Who Macc paid 10 million)
JD learned his mistake from last year.

What mistake?  When Douglas came on board they already had Siemien.  Guy was as good a choice as a spot starter than Flacco.    

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t buy the mentor thing at all but I do like having a competent backup QB for a change

Agree , the mentor thing is the biggest load of crap out there . Can he come in and win a game if needed is all that matters. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t buy the mentor thing at all but I do like having a competent backup QB for a change

Maybe you should get one 😆

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

1.5mil up to 4.5 million is cheap. If the guy can carry a clipboard and show Sammy how to be a better pro, we’ll all agree that this was a good investment. 
For those who are in disagreement with the choice, who’d you rather have Fales or Morgan as QB2? Or better yet, let’s bring back McCown ! (Who Macc paid 10 million)
JD learned his mistake from last year.

Only Macc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jolot said:

Agree , the mentor thing is the biggest load of crap out there . Can he come in and win a game if needed is all that matters. 

Especially with Sam missing games both seasons so far.  No more Luke Falks or Josh McCowns

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Maybe you should get one 😆

Jesus is my mentor

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Philc1 said:

Especially with Sam missing games both seasons so far.  No more Luke Falks or Josh McCowns

Yup , to me this makes the Morgan pick even better ..the last thing we need is him seeing the field this year under any circumstances. Keep Flacco one year ...draft another development QB next year to be behind Morgan . Wash, rinse , repeat . 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Because we sign Flacco to back up Sam for this year, it was a bad idea to draft a QB????

My answer to your question is NO.  Now whether Morgan was the right guy to draft is going to be decided by his play

For THIS team at THIS time, the Jets would have been better served to draft another WR.  In an extremely deep WR draft, there were decent prospects still on the board in the 4th round. I would much rather have rolled the dice and try to develop another WR for Darnold than a QB who might never take a snap in an NFL game.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fltflo said:

Just a side note on Morgan, I’m a Canes fan and I watch that kid take apart the Hurricanes defense and made them look like a joke.
Just so you know Morgan could have a huge upside, can’t say for sure, the Pros are a huge step up. Yet, I can tell you he has a great arm and from what I saw, very smart with the ball.
So that was no wasted 4 round pick, he could be a hell of a backup in a year or two. He could even turn out to be a great trade candidate down the road and a starter sometime in the future.
So not a wasted pick but a very smart gamble on Douglas part.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Go Canes!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Don't totally hate it, but the guy is toast as far as playing. Looked completely shot in Denver

What better (and realistic) option was out there?

If Darnold has to miss a couple of games due to Covid 19, Flacco is more than capable to fill in.

Wasn't the case last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

For THIS team at THIS time, the Jets would have been better served to draft another WR.  In an extremely deep WR draft, there were decent prospects still on the board in the 4th round. I would much rather have rolled the dice and try to develop another WR for Darnold than a QB who might never take a snap in an NFL game.

And if Sam goes down and we need a QB next year and have some half assed player we’re better off how?  What’s a 4th round WR going to do for us compared to a backup QB?  I’d rather roll the dice on a talented, undeveloped QB as opposed to a WR we all dream will develop who will struggle to make the roster and if he does probably isnt any better than the WR we cut to carry him

  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's the best we could have, Cam is still trying to be a starter so that would have been a bad fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say. I bashed the idea of signing Flacco.  But I am coming around to the idea because 1.) Douglas knows his talent level 2.)  Flacco has to want to want prove that he's better than in his last stint with the Broncos.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...