SI: Per study, the New York Jets did better than any team in the NFL Draft in obtaining 'draft capital'

7 minutes ago, Vader said:

We always win the offseason 

In past years we won because the "best player available fell to us at 6", not because of our GM had a clear and decisive plan going into the draft. I could only imagine how this team would look if JD had the #3 overall pick last year. Probably would have traded down and still drafted Josh Allen, lol.

• Post of the Week 4

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I feel like we see these articles and say these things every single time we hire a new GM and they have their first draft.

Everyone loved Bowles and Macc, Idzik and Rex, Mangini and Tanny....

Until they hated them. 

I think JD is the best of the bunch, but we’ll see. It doesn’t take much for Jets fans and media to jump ship. Tough crowd. Always has been. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, ljr said:

This

---

Getting at worst his 3rd favorite OT at 11 was a great start ... not sure how much of that was fortuitous ... but being secure enough to not need to move up ... at least in front of Cleveland deserves some credit.

---

Then that round 2!

33 Higgins, 34 Pittman, 42 Shenault, 46 Hamler, 

---

48 ... Please God ... WR! WR! WR!

tick tock tick tock tick tock wtf ... pick already tick tock tick tock 

WE DID WHAT !?!?!?!?

---

49 Claypool (f*ck you JD you're just as bad as all the rest! )

50 M, 51, A, 52, Y, 53, B, 54 E, 

57 Van Jefferson ... OMG 

---

58 ... please God nobody trade in front of us and Brett Favre our *$$ !!!

---

59 Mims ... make it Mims ... make it Mims for the love of Chr*st!!!!! ... please God !!!!!

We Did It !?!?! ... We Did It !!!!!  WE DID IT !!!!!!  WE F*CKING DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---

He got us an extra 3rd rounder too !?!?!?!

JD you are my hero ... i love you so much ... you are the greatest ever ... if I ever have another son i'll name him after you i swear ... i bow down and worship you JD!!!!!!

An exact replay of the voices in my head during the draft lol

• Haha 1

Some things from Connor Hughes recent podcasts since the draft I thought I would mention here.  (Since I didn't want to start another thread.  If you already know this... just move along.)

1.  Apparently, Gase had a show down with Macc shortly after he was hired and told him to get rid of Rashard Robinson.  I guess everybody in the locker room hated him.  Gase was like "JUST GET RID OF HiM!"  Macc held onto him for a couple of months and that with Bell's signing and not dumping Darron Lee for a 6th... was the last straw.

2.  Berrios is expected to feature more in the offense this year.  He was apparently still hurt a good part of the season when he played for us.  Belicheck called Gase and commended Berrios as a player.  The Pats just couldn't afford to keep him unless he was fit and contributing.

3.  Douglas did have quite a bit of say in Philly regarding drafting players.  He was put off by the analytics people having more of a voice in the draft.  But apparently he had enough power so that when the Texans called before us... he stayed with Philly.  CJ went back to him at least 2-3 times with bigger and bigger paychecks and years on the deal. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

So for the 50th some odd year in a row the Jets have win the off season unquestioned, undisputed champions. During the regular season, however, the Jets are still the worst kind of sh*t team. In other words, why don't we wait and see what these new players do before we go stroking Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

So for the 50th some odd year in a row the Jets have win the off season unquestioned, undisputed champions. During the regular season, however, the Jets are still the worst kind of sh*t team. In other words, why don't we wait and see what these new players do before we go stroking Joe Douglas.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ljr said:

This

---

Getting at worst his 3rd favorite OT at 11 was a great start ... not sure how much of that was fortuitous ... but being secure enough to not need to move up ... at least in front of Cleveland deserves some credit.

---

Then that round 2!

33 Higgins, 34 Pittman, 42 Shenault, 46 Hamler, 

---

48 ... Please God ... WR! WR! WR!

tick tock tick tock tick tock wtf ... pick already tick tock tick tock 

WE DID WHAT !?!?!?!?

---

49 Claypool (f*ck you JD you're just as bad as all the rest! )

50 M, 51, A, 52, Y, 53, B, 54 E, 

57 Van Jefferson ... OMG 

---

58 ... please God nobody trade in front of us and Brett Favre our *$$ !!!

---

59 Mims ... make it Mims ... make it Mims for the love of Chr*st!!!!! ... please God !!!!!

We Did It !?!?! ... We Did It !!!!!  WE DID IT !!!!!!  WE F*CKING DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---

He got us an extra 3rd rounder too !?!?!?!

JD you are my hero ... i love you so much ... you are the greatest ever ... if I ever have another son i'll name him after you i swear ... i bow down and worship you JD!!!!!!

Already got one named Joe. Haha 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He did really well moving around in the draft.  He was ready to make moves and he was not even afraid to trade with the pats.

Make no mistake about it though, he was monumentally lucky to get Mims after trading down.

Got to agree with you on this one.  When Mims was on the board at 48, I was super happy, When Douglas made the trade to 59, I had some rather unkind things to say about him and turned the TV off.  LOL   

He had a great draft.

• Upvote 1

I feel like we see these articles and say these things every single time we hire a new GM and they have their first draft.

Except actual numbers were used to make a very specific argument in this article.

No matter what Douglas did in this draft there were going to be questions on the other side that can’t be answered yet. But winning trades from a value perspective is a positive sign, no? You were quiet on the first 2 nights of the draft. Only on Day 3 did you start to criticize the decisions and picks. So my guess is even you had little to say negatively with the Becton pick, trade down, and Mims pick.

There were no articles like that about Tannenbaum or Maccagnan. That’s for sure. Tannenbaum traded up like a cokehead. Maccagnan refused to trade down over the course of 5 drafts. Idzik did a nice job of accumulating picks but of course did nothing with them. So I guess you can maybe argue Douglas is the next Idzik? Meh. I choose to be optimistic. I like the kinds of players he’s targeted in free agency and the draft. I’m confident this class won’t be an “Idzik 12”.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, PS17 said:

Remember when Mac “could never find the right deal”

We have an adult in the room for the first time in over ten years. 

Supposedly almost NO ONE within in any NFL hierarchy even knew Maccagnan.  So is it really a surprise he “could never find the right deal?”

Another total TOTAL mystery as to how this Stumblebum not only got a GM’s job seconds from being Fired in Houston...but in NY for goodness sake?!?!?!  Could only have happened with one of the Blacksheep Johnson brothers owning the Jets.

I really think Douglas is the real deal and will become one of the best GM’s in the league.

Maccagnan I worried about almost immediately, just like with Mark Sanchez.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

The Mims move was master class. 

I absolutely love how JD made moves in the draft but.......I hate to be a wet blanket but IMHO (which granted isn't based an very in depth study) Minns is a push off artist and otherwise fails to get seperation....I just hope the refs let him get away with it here.  

• Upvote 1