SI: Per study, the New York Jets did better than any team in the NFL Draft in obtaining 'draft capital'

On 5/23/2020 at 11:57 PM, LIJetsFan said:

I absolutely love how JD made moves in the draft but.......I hate to be a wet blanket but IMHO (which granted isn't based an very in depth study) Minns is a push off artist and otherwise fails to get seperation....I just hope the refs let him get away with it here.  

Depends how good he Is at it how good he plays. If he’s average he get it called on him probably become mediocre. If he’s good at it and becomes a great player refs will let entertaining football prevail 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Everyone needs to remember Mac won Executive of the Year after his first off season.  

Yes, and Macc did so doing the exact things you advocated all offseason:  Making splashy moves and forfeiting draft capital, all in a failed effort to get to the playoffs immediately.

Douglas did the opposite.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

On 5/23/2020 at 7:12 PM, NYJ1 said:

So for the 50th some odd year in a row the Jets have win the off season unquestioned, undisputed champions. During the regular season, however, the Jets are still the worst kind of sh*t team. In other words, why don't we wait and see what these new players do before we go stroking Joe Douglas.

excellent point.  i was about to say the same thing.  until these guys start playing there's no telling how good this draft was.  and even there, it takes a couple of seasons to truly evaluate.  hopefully they got one day 1 starter and one or two guys who will be able to start during the season.  the rest of the guys can be depth or be situational substitutions.  if that's what they get then it will be a pretty good draft.

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, and Macc did so doing the exact things you advocated all offseason:  Making splashy moves and forfeiting draft capital, all in a failed effort to get to the playoffs immediately.

Douglas did the opposite.  

Signing good players is not a bad thing - I know you seem to think it is and that’s fine.  Mac signed bad players to big contracts.  I did not advocate that.

I am cautiously optimistic with Douglas but it’s way, way too early to start coronating the guy.  He did some very nice things but he’s also done some questionable things.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2020 at 12:01 AM, Warfish said:

I'm of two minds:

1. I think J.D. had a good draft.  

2. I think there are way too many puff/hype pieces about us, best QB this, best WR that, best draft this, best O-line that.  

Forgive my cynicism, but I'll believe all this hype when we see it.

Where’s “Baby Shark” on that ring?

I saw an interview with JD where he said they did countless mock drafts and concentrated on worst case scenarios.  That’s the way to do it. Anyone can make a chalk pick that falls to you, but a true GM has a plan for when the board goes to sh*t. The trading back was a product of great preparation.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

If you can put two of these types of Drafts together in a row you've set the team up for a decent 5-6 year window.  It lets you supplement the foundation with free agency, rather than using free agency as your method for building the team because you draft so poorly.

I'm already looking forward to what Joe D will do in the 2021 Draft given that he'll now have his core of drafted and free agent players with only a few holdovers that he can't quite yet move on from (ex. Bell).

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2020 at 9:01 PM, Warfish said:

I'm of two minds:

1. I think J.D. had a good draft.  

2. I think there are way too many puff/hype pieces about us, best QB this, best WR that, best draft this, best O-line that.  

Forgive my cynicism, but I'll believe all this hype when we see it.

Agreed that the results will have to prove themselves on the field.  But at least for the first time in a while it appears that we have competence up top in the organization.  And, maybe more importantly, we'll be able to shine the light on Gase and truly be able to evaluate him since the roster, although still far from perfect, shouldn't really be an excuse anymore.  To me, that's as important as anything....finding out whether Gase should be the coach beyond the 2020 season.

• Upvote 2

On 5/23/2020 at 4:17 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I feel like we see these articles and say these things every single time we hire a new GM and they have their first draft.

I agree with you except that this year it feels tangibly different.  The praise for our draft seems to be nearly universal even from sites that are not historically friendly to the Jets.  I understand that the acid test comes later and on the field but something about this year feels very different.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I am cautiously optimistic with Douglas but it’s way, way too early to start coronating the guy.  He did some very nice things but he’s also done some questionable things.  

How dare you rain on our parade! No seriously big Joe has the experience. He was tutored and trained by some of the best in the business. He was the right hire by Chris Johnson and the results will be obvious pretty quickly Im thinking.

• Upvote 1

Hate to be the harbinger of bad news but I'm just stating the obvious. It looks like JD caught the same bad luck Sam Darnold did as this season is already cut short due to the pandemic.

I actually really feel for these guys especially Sam. Three straight seasons of WTF!? Again I'm in no way trying to be a Debbie Downer. I just know as a competitive person that you gear yourself up to come out of the gate guns blazing It's got to suck to deal with all these unforeseen catastrophes, especially for younger guys like Sam and JD and even Gase for that matter at their respective positions.

Obviously the glass half-full view would be that all teams are dealing with this. But without spring practices and getting to know each other it's obviously going to slow the pace of evaluation where normally the undrafted guys, certain free agents and in general anybody positioning to make the team will be at that much more of a disadvantage of being noticed.

I think it's going to be a slow paced somewhat sloppy and very vanilla start to the season this year. Keep in mind that we all have expectations whether we're on TV or we're watching it LOL. Just giving a nod to All the Young Dudes still fighting for their hopes and dreams. Keep your eyes on the prize.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed that the results will have to prove themselves on the field.  But at least for the first time in a while it appears that we have competence up top in the organization.

Really?  Sounds like the same stuff we hear every new GM or Coach's first year or so.  

I tend to like what Douglas did more, but lets not pretend Macc and all the various GM's before him didn;t get similar first year pub.  Hell, wasn't Macc GM of the year once?

And, maybe more importantly, we'll be able to shine the light on Gase and truly be able to evaluate him since the roster, although still far from perfect, shouldn't really be an excuse anymore.

I agree.  Sadly, I don't think most of JI will agree, especially if the years goes badly. 

Also not sure why some folks keep pretending Gase doesn't have a four year NFL Head Coach resume already to evaluate.

To me, that's as important as anything....finding out whether Gase should be the coach beyond the 2020 season.

Agreed.  But let's be honest, if Gase goes 6-10, will he be fired?  Will JN turn on him?  I doubt it, on both fronts.

Signing good players is not a bad thing - I know you seem to think it is and that’s fine.  Mac signed bad players to big contracts.  I did not advocate that.

lol I never once said signing good players is a bad thing. You keep saying this over and over. My point has always been that there’s a time and place to spend heavily on 1-2 players. His first offseason was not that time.

Take a look at the scheduled 2021 free agent WRs and take your pick. That will be a good time to spend.

5 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Hate to be the harbinger of bad news but I'm just stating the obvious. It looks like JD caught the same bad luck Sam Darnold did as this season is already cut short due to the pandemic.

I actually really feel for these guys especially Sam. Three straight seasons of WTF!? Again I'm in no way trying to be a Debbie Downer. I just know as a competitive person that you gear yourself up to come out of the gate guns blazing It's got to suck to deal with all these unforeseen catastrophes, especially for younger guys like Sam and JD and even Gase for that matter at their respective positions.

Obviously the glass half-full view would be that all teams are dealing with this. But without spring practices and getting to know each other it's obviously going to slow the pace of evaluation where normally the undrafted guys, certain free agents and in general anybody positioning to make the team will be at that much more of a disadvantage of being noticed.

I think it's going to be a slow paced somewhat sloppy and very vanilla start to the season this year. Keep in mind that we all have expectations whether we're on TV or we're watching it LOL. Just giving a nod to All the Young Dudes still fighting for their hopes and dreams. Keep your eyes on the prize.

agree with this ... possible saving grace though is who we play to start the season

6 of the first 7 are also works in progress at the QB position

Bills x2, Colts, Broncos, Cards, Chargers

11 minutes ago, ljr said:

agree with this ... possible saving grace though is who we play to start the season

6 of the first 7 are also works in progress at the QB position

Bills x2, Colts, Broncos, Cards, Chargers

Well hopefully by the start of The Following Season we're not dealing with an Alien Invasion ...

or some other ridiculously crazy s***! LOL!!

Unfortunately like I said the growth of the entire team will be stunted by all of this. It just sucks that this team can't seem to catch a break. At some point between the head coach the GM and the starting quarterback they got to be thinking Jesus Christ what next!?

Also the normal flow of training camp is where the underdawgs are usually evaluated and can show up and make a name for themselves. Now they will be behind as far as cutdowns  obviously all teams being affected.

Hey man here's to hoping we all get a sunny day sooner rather than later and can get our poles in the water. Cheers!

• Upvote 2

On 5/23/2020 at 3:33 PM, Beerfish said:

He did really well moving around in the draft.  He was ready to make moves and he was not even afraid to trade with the pats.

Make no mistake about it though, he was monumentally lucky to get Mims after trading down.

On 5/23/2020 at 4:09 PM, mrcoops said:

This is true, though it's very possible that he had Mims, Claypool and Jefferson - who were all on the board at #48 - quite closely ranked, and felt confident of getting one of them at #59. No doubt he was fortunate that Mims was the guy who was left though.

Yes but he has now shown he has the ability of a back up plan.  As most are saying... nice to see a competent GM.  Any of our previous GMs would have already paid Adams more than a safety is worth and Douglas is behaving like a real GM.  

Luck is Darnold falling to us but our previos GM had to trade 3 Seconds to get him.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Unfortunately like I said the growth of the entire team will be stunted by all of this. It just sucks that this team can't seem to catch a break. 

Hey man here's to hoping we all get a sunny day sooner rather than later and can get our poles in the water. Cheers!

lol

we have no idea if it will be true yet, ... but ...

Sam falling to 3

weird McCagnan/Gase battle resulting in JD

boom or bust Becton being there at 11

possible #1 WR Mims being there at 59

---

optimistic view ... 2-3 years from now we are talking about what breaks we caught with these

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2020 at 6:51 AM, FidelioJet said:

Everyone needs to remember Mac won Executive of the Year after his first off season.  

Let’s see how these moves work out.  There was plenty to like but certainly a few questionable decisions too. 

Didn't Idzik leave Macc with a ton of cap dollars? I think that contributed to the 'award'.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes but he has now shown he has the ability of a back up plan.  As most are saying... nice to see a competent GM.  Any of our previous GMs would have already paid Adams more than a safety is worth and Douglas is behaving like a real GM.  

Luck is Darnold falling to us but our previos GM had to trade 3 Seconds to get him.  

If the draft had gone the way as predicted Sam would have been the #1 overall to the Browns and Gettlemen takes Baker at #2 leaving Macc with the choice of Allen or Rosen. Guess who Macc would've picked?