Rhg1084

Sams contract next year

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

While everyone is going bananas over Adams potential deal, what do we think Sams deal will look like next year? Could it be something like 5 years for $100m would be fair I think. Especially if he has his breakout year 

He'll have to have a VERY good year to get that number.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Sure, if this was 2002. 

I don't agree.  If Sam is ~25-30th rated QB again in 2020, he's not getting a huge deal in that next offseason.  Potential or not, J.D. will wait till after his fourth season, executing the fifth year option.  An option the CBA now says will be paid based on performance, not his #3 pick slot.

I think folks presuming Sam getting a long term huge deal here in NY before the 2021 season is a given, are counting chickens before they've hatched.  As usual.

Also, as a reminder, paying QB's huge money is not good for the team, it sucks up huge cap space no longer available to spend elsewhere.  Hence why wasting Sam's rookie contract on losing seasons is so painful.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, freestater said:

If Sam gets a second contract from the Jets, it will be north of 20m/yr. Way north. 

We'll see.  All depends on what happens on the field, not on fan forums.

Jameis Winston was a high pick, has three 4,000+ Yard passing seasons, and threw for over 5,000 yards and 30 TD's last year, while losing alot of games over his five years.

He got 1 million to be the backup at the Saints.

Sam through two years lags Winston's production materially.  

Like I said, don't get ahead of yourself. 

Sam loses 10 games this year, misses time and/or has another sub-4,000, sub-30 TD season, and he's trending more Winston than the lofty comparisons to Dak and the like.

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2020 at 9:15 AM, BCJet said:

If Sam goes for 3200 with 25-12 line that will rightly be considered franchise QB numbers and he will be in line for an extension.

It's amazing seeing the expectations for Sam just drop, and drop, drop.  

3,200 yards is a Franchise QB?  Seriously?  That's Mark Sanchez type numbers.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, slats said:

That's certainly less than I'm hoping for. However, if he has around 2000 of those yards and 15 of those TDs in the last eight games of the season, I'll be feeling pretty good about him. I understand how it gets dismissed as, "making excuses," but there's just so much turnover on the Jets offense, with two of those new starters being rookies, that I'm just expecting a slow start for everyone. 

I'm not going to dismiss it. 

I'm just going to say, looking around the league in recent years, and at all the "best QB taken last three years" hype, that if Sam Darnold can only put up 3,200 yards in 2020 I'm going to personally be very disappointed in him, in Gase, and in the team for his (IMO) extremely low level of production and performance.

A 3,200 yard passing season is a near-lock for a bottom 5 Offense and losing season in 2020.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

For reference - Tyrod Taylor threw for 3026 yards, 17 TD and 6 INT in 2016 for the Bills in 15 games. No one wants Tyrod Taylor numbers for Darnold.

Excuses time for Darnold is up. He was drafted top 3. Time to start looking like an upper echelon QB.  3700-3800 yards passing, 26+ passing TDs, less than 15 INT.

3,200 Yards 25 TD and 12 INT.....is basically Gardener Minshew rookie year production.

Except Minshew put up those numbers in only 12 starts.

And Minshew only threw 6 INT's.  Not 12. 

In fairness, he only threw 21 TD's too.  Not 25.

But are we really saying that Sam Darnold, best QB to come out the past three years, that his passing production expectation over 16 games in his third year in the NFL......is sub-6th Round Pick Gardner Minshew rookie-level in 12 starts production? 

Is that what you're saying @BCJet, that failing to materially eclipse Minshews partial rookie season is still enough to get Darnold a Franchise QB-like 2nd contract?

• Post of the Week 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company