Sams contract next year

I genuinely hope he has the kind of season that would dictate negotiating a contract extension next season. Let's see it first...

Also, if Douglas is refusing to negotiate a contract extension for Adams based on timing this year I don't see him changing course and doing it for Sam next year. Sends a bad message.

• Upvote 2

Jimmy Sexton is his agent.  Sexton isn't going to give the Jets any breaks, even if Sexton is also Gase's and JD's agent.  If you want a play book on how Sexton may handle things, look at Julio Jones' contract situations, Jimmy also represents Julio.

On the one hand, Sam seems to me like the kind of guy who wouldn't want to play these contract games, but on the other hand, he's so young (and frankly somewhat naive) that's he's going to do what Sexton tells him to do.   

Another interesting balance the Jets have to deal with is the potential bust vs. potential breakout.  Can they actually save money by signing him earlier, before a true breakout season vs. signing him early and then wathcing him completely flop.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Sure, if this was 2002. 

I don't agree.  If Sam is ~25-30th rated QB again in 2020, he's not getting a huge deal in that next offseason.  Potential or not, J.D. will wait till after his fourth season, executing the fifth year option.  An option the CBA now says will be paid based on performance, not his #3 pick slot.

I think folks presuming Sam getting a long term huge deal here in NY before the 2021 season is a given, are counting chickens before they've hatched.  As usual.

Also, as a reminder, paying QB's huge money is not good for the team, it sucks up huge cap space no longer available to spend elsewhere.  Hence why wasting Sam's rookie contract on losing seasons is so painful.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RobR said:

Why would Darnold get a new contract next year?  Even if he blows it up like Mahomes, he'll still be waiting for another year at the very least. We have him under contract for cheap over the next three years, and then we can franchise him for another year.

There is absolutely no reason to extend him next year. 

Listen, Sam has to earn it first. But if he does, there's a big reason to extend him next year: savings. 

Darnold wouldn't be tearing up his old deal and signing a new one, he'd be signing an extension. So he'd play out the last two years of his rookie deal (the Jets would pick up his fifth year before doing the deal) and then the new contract would kick in.

By signing him early, they'd save on both total dollars spent and cap per year. Total money because salaries go up every year. So they'd be giving him a deal that starts in 2023 at 2021 prices. Then, they'd also save more per year because by doing the contract early, they can spread bonus money out over the extra years. So a five-year extension would have any bonus money count against the cap over seven years. Meaning a $35M signing bonus would count $5M/year instead of $7M per. 

The savings of doing a deal next year as opposed to during his fifth year option would be significant. Just look at the Dak Prescott situation. If the Jets balk, and Sam really tears it up in his fourth year, all of a sudden he's holding all the cards. Maybe he's not willing to do a deal at that point and wants to play his deal out and test the market. Enter the franchise tag and all the leverage that gives the player. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I genuinely hope he has the kind of season that would dictate negotiating a contract extension next season. Let's see it first...

Also, if Douglas is refusing to negotiate a contract extension for Adams based on timing this year I don't see him changing course and doing it for Sam next year. Sends a bad message.

There would be no message sent. Everyone knows the QB is the most important player on the team. No one inside or outside the organization would fault them for signing their QB before their SS, except maybe Jamal, himself.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

There would be no message sent. Everyone knows the QB is the most important player on the team. No one inside or outside the organization would fault them for signing their QB before their SS, except maybe Jamal, himself.  

Pretty sure favoring the QB over elite defensive players is what ruined a potential Seahawks dynasty. I'm not sure I agree everyone would see it that way, especially if Sam is only "pretty good" in 2020.

48 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Pretty sure favoring the QB over elite defensive players is what ruined a potential Seahawks dynasty. I'm not sure I agree everyone would see it that way, especially if Sam is only "pretty good" in 2020.

Russell Wilson has that teacher's pet vibe that rubs some teammates the wrong way. 

There's just no comparison when it comes to the importance of a SS or a QB on your team. I don't know what you mean by only pretty good, but if he's in the upper 3000's in yards and in the 90's in passer rating, in a year in which the Jets' offense turned over more than half their starters in an abbreviated off season, I'm looking to get an early deal done. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I know people dont want to hear this. But he right now is statistically one of the worst starting qbs in the league. For 2 years in a row.

Let him put together a good season before we start discussing extensions.

Always funny to see people who want us to get rid of a guy who unquestionably is one of the best, if not the best player at his position in Adams but Darnold who hasn't proven a thing going into his third season gets lavished with praise and talk of extensions. It is laughable.

Tannenhill just got a 4 year deal for $118 with $62 guaranteed and hes coming off 2 seasons where he didnt crack 3000 yards either time and had 17 tds in 2018 and 22 in 2019.

If Sam goes for 3200 with 25-12 line that will rightly be considered franchise QB numbers and he will be in line for an extension.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'll preface this with the statement that I love Sam.

That being said, I hope we're discussing the possibility that we're going to have to give him a massive contract this time next year.  As of right now, he still needs to earn it.

i wont say i love sam. but i will say that he seems like a genuinely decent young man...  very likeable. basically, unhateable.

so , please put that word away. no one here hates sam darnold. 

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

No he's not. 

If you look at it objectively from the perspective of like a lions fan what has he done to deserve it so far?

maccagnan passed on entire draft class for him and invested 4 high picks as well 

add a 100,000,000 contract and what are we getting in return?

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Flip it and reverse it. He wanted language in the contract that no one else got and he did not get it. He wanted to be able to double dip if he got cut by being paid twice. His agent was trying to front like a big shot and was pissed other QB's like Josh Allen didn't demand it so he had to cave.

You couldnt be more wrong. He was simply asking for a contract structure like Mayfield and Allen both got that didnt include the voiding of guaranteed money due to a player fine. The offset part had FAR less to do with him, and much more to do with his agents. 

It was the Jets who were hard lining him, not the other way around. It's a matter of perspective and his agents were doing what agents are supposed to do, not only that, they were dealing with an inept Jets GM and staff. 

Theres zero reason to believe that will have any bearing what so ever on his next contract with JD who has already proven to be very contract savvy, unlike Mac. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/jets-sam-darnold-contract-holdout-details-ugly-2018-7

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2018/07/29/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-contract-roquan-smith-chicago-bears/860512002/

https://deadspin.com/why-sam-darnolds-holdout-was-bigger-than-the-jets-1827971592

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't agree.  If Sam is ~25-30th rated QB again in 2020, he's not getting a huge deal in that next offseason.  Potential or not, J.D. will wait till after his fourth season, executing the fifth year option.  An option the CBA now says will be paid based on performance, not his #3 pick slot.

I think folks presuming Sam getting a long term huge deal here in NY before the 2021 season is a given, are counting chickens before they've hatched.  As usual.

Also, as a reminder, paying QB's huge money is not good for the team, it sucks up huge cap space no longer available to spend elsewhere.  Hence why wasting Sam's rookie contract on losing seasons is so painful.  

If Sam gets a second contract from the Jets, it will be north of 20m/yr. Way north. 

• Upvote 1

What is with this idea of paying people before their initial contract is up .... He plays out his rookie deal then we talk, same thing for the other one..... FFS.... 

The only people talking about extending players before their rookie deals are up are the players in question, their agents, and ****-riding fans .... Not having these players play out their rookie deals is a bad business practice to perpetuate.

49 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Next year?? 

Don’t need to talk contract with Sam until after the 2021 season. 

If he plays great for the next 2 years then you exercise the option and start talking. 

You can extend him, essentially he plays out his rookie deal then gets his extension on top of that. That’s why you see these guys getting extended early on. That way you’re not franchising a guy 2 years in a row a la Kirk Cousins 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

What is with this idea of paying people before their initial contract is up .... He plays out his rookie deal then we talk, same thing for the other one..... FFS.... 

The only people talking about extending players before their rookie deals are up are the players in question, their agents, and ****-riding fans .... Not having these players play out their rookie deals is a bad business practice to perpetuate.

If they have Sam play out his rookie deal why would he agree to an extension after that? It’d be more beneficial for him to just get tagged for 2 years in a row then hit the open market a la Dak Prescott 

11 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Everyone forgets Sam Darnold held out pf training camp his rookie year for nothing. Now imagine what is agent will do when there is something real to fight about.

Held out?  Because he wouldn't let the Jets include terms that he would have been dumb to agree to?

Not for nothing but has nothing to do with his next contract and negotiations 

Jameis Winston was a high pick, has three 4,000+ Yard passing seasons, and threw for over 5,000 yards and 30 TD's last year, while losing alot of games over his five years.

He got 1 million to be the backup at the Saints.

Sam through two years lags Winston's production materially.  

Like I said, don't get ahead of yourself. 

Sam loses 10 games this year, misses time and/or has another sub-4,000, sub-30 TD season, and he's trending more Winston than the lofty comparisons to Dak and the like.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

He wanted the same contract language that others got. And I believe he got it.

So I don't think he held out for nothing.

He did not get it, nor should he have.  Very few rookies get to get paid twice for the same years.

His agent is Jimmy Sexton who is a real jerk.  It's going to be real dicy when Darnold's contract is due. 

Interesting side note here.  Sexton is also Douglas' and Gase's agent.  This should be fun when the time comes.

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Next year?? 

Don’t need to talk contract with Sam until after the 2021 season. 

If he plays great for the next 2 years then you exercise the option and start talking. 

This. Actually, I think it may be after 2022. Sam is in his 3rd year. 1st round rookie contracts come with a 5th year team option (I believe) and then there is a the franchise tag option for year 6. 

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Jimmy Sexton is his agent.  Sexton isn't going to give the Jets any breaks, even if Sexton is also Gase's and JD's agent.  If you want a play book on how Sexton may handle things, look at Julio Jones' contract situations, Jimmy also represents Julio.

On the one hand, Sam seems to me like the kind of guy who wouldn't want to play these contract games, but on the other hand, he's so young (and frankly somewhat naive) that's he's going to do what Sexton tells him to do.   

Another interesting balance the Jets have to deal with is the potential bust vs. potential breakout.  Can they actually save money by signing him earlier, before a true breakout season vs. signing him early and then wathcing him completely flop.

Yeah my expectations are based more on the agent than on Sam. Agents get paid to get paid. Hopefully there are no issues with this. 

I will literally laugh my ass off repeatedly ... once Sam has an average year finally and gets paid $100 million while we let Adams who's clearly the better player walk to another team.

I agree with the previous posters as we don't even need to approach talks till after 2021.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

16 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

While everyone is going bananas over Adams potential deal, what do we think Sams deal will look like next year? Could it be something like 5 years for $100m would be fair I think. Especially if he has his breakout year 

5 for $100M isn't even close IMO.

Even if he's only playing like a Top 15 or 20 QB, he's probably going to get at least $30M per year....and likely more than that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

While everyone is going bananas over Adams potential deal, what do we think Sams deal will look like next year? Could it be something like 5 years for $100m would be fair I think. Especially if he has his breakout year 

Clearly depends on how he plays this year. If he takes that statistical leap this year, you can bet $30mil a year is on the cards. But if he struggles somewhat and plays lights out in some games, $20mil a year is possible. 

7 hours ago, talonmm said:

Sure, until we have to sign our other players and free agents.

So you dont want him to do well or if he does well you dont want to pay him?

I cant believe paying Sam QB pay is a worry

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

5 for $100M isn't even close IMO.

Even if he's only playing like a Top 15 or 20 QB, he's probably going to get at least $30M per year....and likely more than that.

Or if hes only 15-20 he waits and gambles on a big year 4.  Then he still gets the mega deal.

Hes a QB, our FQB right now.  They dont come at $20 mil per.  

10 hours ago, slats said:

Russell Wilson has that teacher's pet vibe that rubs some teammates the wrong way. 

For sure.

There's just no comparison when it comes to the importance of a SS or a QB on your team.

Obviously agree.

I don't know what you mean by only pretty good, but if he's in the upper 3000's in yards and in the 90's in passer rating, in a year in which the Jets' offense turned over more than half their starters in an abbreviated off season, I'm looking to get an early deal done. 

I'm thinking another modest improvement where he's solid but we aren't seeing a big leap that you'd want from a franchise QB. Maybe misses time again, QB ratings in the high 80s. Slightly better TD/INT ratio but nothing overly impressive. What then?

I also think my comment depends on what actually happens with Adams. If they deal him it's obviously a moot point but I really think you're underrating the the locker room issues of telling the best player on the team "we don't do this" and then doing it for a below average QB a year later.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm thinking another modest improvement where he's solid but we aren't seeing a big leap that you'd want from a franchise QB. Maybe misses time again, QB ratings in the high 80s. Slightly better TD/INT ratio but nothing overly impressive. What then?

I also think my comment depends on what actually happens with Adams. If they deal him it's obviously a moot point but I really think you're underrating the the locker room issues of telling the best player on the team "we don't do this" and then doing it for a below average QB a year later.

My opinion? They wait another year with Sam if those are his numbers. And then it’s a non-issue. 

I’m expecting a slow start for this offense. Just too many new starters in a short offseason. Turning over at least 4/5ths of the OL and both outside WRs? That’s a lot. But, second half of the year, if Sam and his statistics are balling, and confidence is high, I’m trying to get him signed before he’s expecting $40M/year. 

• Upvote 1

IMO this was the brilliance of JD's recent draft.

That is why JD drafted Morgan.  If Sam Darnold doesn't improve we will need a young hold the fort QB until we get the right QB.

You don't want to be in the position of Dallas having to pay an average QB top flight monies!

And to many out here don't understand that JD is playing the long game for the team.

• Upvote 1