Why do people hate the jets so much?

I was looking at the QB ranking chart in the other thread and seeing Darnold basically rated as Ryan Leaf and I was just wondering where that animosity comes from?

As a Yankees fan I get people hating on them.  They’re the Yankees 27 World Series championships, highest payroll(not true anymore but that’s the perception) your wife or gf in Ohio wishes she was with Jeter.  But what did the Jets ever do?

Is it because Giants fans in the media hate sharing the spotlight?  Is it because patriots homers on ESPN spew venom?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I was looking at the QB ranking chart in the other thread and seeing Darnold basically rated as Ryan Leaf and I was just wondering where that animosity comes from?

As a Yankees fan I get people hating on them.  They’re the Yankees 27 World Series championships, highest payroll(not true anymore but that’s the perception) your wife or gf in Ohio wishes she was with Jeter.  But what did the Jets ever do?

Is it because Giants fans in the media hate sharing the spotlight?  Is it because patriots homers on ESPN spew venom?

are you talking about the one going around supposedly by ESPN?  they don't even have darnold in the top 25 and have kyler murray at 3.  wtf.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

seeing Darnold basically rated as Ryan Leaf and I was just wondering where that animosity comes from?

animosity? how do you expect the 27th rated passer to be rated?  and i dont know about the Leaf comp... I have not read or heard that. Sams a good kid, not a dbag like Leaf. But he hasnt played well.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Jets have always been a laughingstock. Let's just face the facts. The Jets organization ever since it's inception had personified STUPID. The Jets do and say EVERYTHING to make themselves appear like a bunch of GD idiots. Latest brilliant move would be trading Jamal Adams. I don't care if they get 3 1st rounders for Jamal, they would still squander EVERY pick because they SUCK at drafting. Add in small, petty things like cheering when Chad Pennington got injured. That's about as cheap and low rent a move as fan Base could possibly be. 

The above and many other incidents is why this team is hated. They do it to themselves and dumb fans just pile on.

• Sympathy 1

The Jets have always been a laughingstock. Let's just face the facts. The Jets organization ever since it's inception had personified STUPID. The Jets do and say EVERYTHING to make themselves appear like a bunch of GD idiots. Latest brilliant move would be trading Jamal Adams. I don't care if they get 3 1st rounders for Jamal, they would still squander EVERY pick because they SUCK at drafting. Add in small, petty things like cheering when Chad Pennington got injured. That's about as cheap and low rent a move as fan Base could possibly be. 

The above and many other incidents is why this team is hated. They do it to themselves and dumb fans just pile on.

All of that stuff is stupid, no doubt...and I’m with you on Jamal (though I have to admit I’d be intrigued to see what JD and his crew could do with 3 1s). But fans in general are reactionary and short-sighted, and they do dumb stuff like that all the time. Our stuff gets magnified because A) we’re jet fans and 2) this team has been riddled with bad management and leadership for our entire lives (and I only go back to Clueless Joe).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

are you talking about the one going around supposedly by ESPN?  they don't even have darnold in the top 25 and have kyler murray at 3.  wtf.

I'm drunk half the time and could put together a better list than ESPN. It's why I resent the media during this Covid BS. They still get paid to put out the world's dumbest takes for clicks, while 90% of The people this Virus wouldn't hurt are stuck home cause we flat lined the econemy instead of doing a selective shut down protecting the vulnerable. Half the deaths are cause they forced infected people into nursing homes. This entire thing will look retarded in 6 months, most of my friends who lost jobs won't get to laugh about it though cause their jobs aren't coming back any time soon

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

People don't really hate the Jets. But..

1) They hate New York. and...

2) They like to sh*t on New York teams that don't win. You'll never have a "lovable loser" from New York like you do Chicago. New York is the economic and cultural capital of the country, and subsequently has the arrogance to go with it. It's a hyper competitive city that draws the best and the brightest. It's full of winners. If you're a loser here you suck. Nobody loves you.

So the solution is simple. We need to win.

This too. As the dreaded met-jet combo, any of us can tell you this. I’m sure clipper fans have the same complaint. You’ll notice all this crap quieted down with Parcells here. It’s the same thing. This won’t get better til we turn it around.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

To be fair I think it’s more laughing at us than hating us. That said, the jets have given no reason for people to talk them up. I love 14 and think he’s about to make these haters look stupid...but until the jets show they’re coming out of their Bowles/Gase enduced funk, they’re gonna keep throwing shade. Look how little it took for them to start talking about freaking Allen as the next coming. Relax, it’s their job.

Agreed.  Its not hatred, we have become the team people love to laugh at.  I would rather be hated, but you have to give fans of other teams reason to hate.  And you do that by kicking their asses.  Something we have been incapable of doing for most of our history.

Also, being the only team that does not "own" its home market does not help the perception.  Other teams are beloved in their home markets.  We are not and I think it impacts the way we are covered.

It is what it is.  Just win games and the narrative will change.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Because the media knows New York is a huge market and Jet fans
(for the most part) are beyond gullible.  Pick on the team and
you get huge traffic to your site ready to argue (giving them
exactly what they want).  Stop falling for the foolishness

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

ESPN and sports media pure and simple. 

- How ESPN portrays Jets fans acting during the draft (even though EVERY fanbase acts the same way, we were just the ones televised because it was in NY for so long). Toss in constantly replaying the buttfumble every 3 weeks for really no reason. 

- Our own NY sports media. It's a shark tank and the Jets are the chum. Most other cities have two maybe three beat reporters for their team. We have about 71, and they are all aiming to be relevant, so they one up each other with fabricated stories and "sources", but it damages the teams image in the process. I live in Indianapolis and there's ONE sports reporter here, Bob Kravitz, and even when the Colts were inept, you wouldnt hear that many bad things about them, and you wouldnt believe how much bad sh*t the media in Indy just quietly doesnt report on with regards to players getting in trouble. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

48 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

To a homer, every objective observer looks like a hater.

No one hates us.  You have to be worth paying attention to to be hated.  And we haven't been, for a decade plus now. 

We're mocked, not hated.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

So why are you here? Go buy yourself a Cowboys jersey and move on

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Yeah no one cares about the Jets. We’re easy to make fun of and Jets fans being traffic. When we win the opposite is true, the Jets are everywhere and everyone has hot takes and praise and every other fan base gets us shoved down their throats. If we’re successful, broadcasts of Jets games will set every regular season viewership record and its good for the league.

39 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

People don't really hate the Jets. But..

1) They hate New York. and...

2) They like to sh*t on New York teams that don't win. You'll never have a "lovable loser" from New York like you do Chicago. New York is the economic and cultural capital of the country, and subsequently has the arrogance to go with it. It's a hyper competitive city that draws the best and the brightest. It's full of winners. If you're a loser here you suck. Nobody loves you.

So the solution is simple. We need to win.

Well, there's exactly ZERO winners when it comes to the Jets. The management team for our favorite team makes EVERY stupid move known to man.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

If you just heard the people who know everything and didn’t actually watch Sam play last season you would think Brian Hoyer > Darnold

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To a homer, every objective observer looks like a hater.

No one hates us.  You have to be worth paying attention to to be hated.  And we haven't been, for a decade plus now. 

We're mocked, not hated.

Every objective observer knows the Jets have been a train wreck except for a few short periods when guys like Bill Parcells were around.

• Thumb Down 1

A lot of the current "hatred", or whatever you want to call it, still stems from the two years we were an above average team under Rex and Rex talked about the Jets like they were the greatest team ever to walk the face of the earth.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, JTJet said:

ESPN and sports media pure and simple. 

- How ESPN portrays Jets fans acting during the draft (even though EVERY fanbase acts the same way, we were just the ones televised because it was in NY for so long). Toss in constantly replaying the buttfumble every 3 weeks for really no reason. 

- Our own NY sports media. It's a shark tank and the Jets are the chum. Most other cities have two maybe three beat reporters for their team. We have about 71, and they are all aiming to be relevant, so they one up each other with fabricated stories and "sources", but it damages the teams image in the process. I live in Indianapolis and there's ONE sports reporter here, Bob Kravitz, and even when the Colts were inept, you wouldnt hear that many bad things about them, and you wouldnt believe how much bad sh*t the media in Indy just quietly doesnt report on with regards to players getting in trouble. 

Connecticut based ESPN is a big reason for it

Jets fans are pillars of industry on Wall Street and people who can afford to live in NYC.  The majority of Steelers fans can barely afford to live in crappy condos in the Midwest without govt cheese

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

I think they are specifically targeting Jets fans. They know it will rile up passionate fans, and that one thing the Jets do have is a passionate fan base. That results in attention, clicks, links and most of the underlying motives for triggering Jets fans like Pavlov's dog.   

Just now, Dcat said:

I think they are specifically targeting Jets fans. They know it will rile up passionate fans, and that one thing the Jets do have is a passionate fan base. That results in attention, clicks, links and most of the underlying motives for triggering Jets fans like Pavlov's dog.   

2 key words - darnold and adams.  they're killing it getting us hysterical.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

When we were winning the last time with Rex we were hated even more intensely 

Yes, but for a different reason. Rex was out shooting his mouth off and most fans of other teams thought it was going to happen, especially after the Jets surprising playoff in 2010. They hated them because they thought the Jets were going to be successful and they didn't like ultra confident guys like Rex.

23 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Yes, but for a different reason. Rex was out shooting his mouth off and most fans of other teams thought it was going to happen, especially after the Jets surprising playoff in 2010. They hated them because they thought the Jets were going to be successful and they didn't like ultra confident guys like Rex.

Yeah but it was fun watching the pompous  d ckwads at ESPN act like we had no shot against the patriots in the 2010 playoffs 

• Upvote 2

Ive had a theory about this for a while. 

most sports fans grew up watching Jets fans act the fool at the draft in NYC.  Right or wrong, If you watched a teams own fans destroy them year after year it would eventually stick in your head

self fulfilling prophecy