Why do people hate the jets so much?

On 5/24/2020 at 7:43 AM, Philc1 said:

I was looking at the QB ranking chart in the other thread and seeing Darnold basically rated as Ryan Leaf and I was just wondering where that animosity comes from?

As a Yankees fan I get people hating on them.  They’re the Yankees 27 World Series championships, highest payroll(not true anymore but that’s the perception) your wife or gf in Ohio wishes she was with Jeter.  But what did the Jets ever do?

Is it because Giants fans in the media hate sharing the spotlight?  Is it because patriots homers on ESPN spew venom?

Look at the Darnold comment.  All that chart said is that hes still an unknown.  And given his time missed and that he hasn't had enough talent around him to prove otherwise its true.  You turn that into hes basically Ryan Leaf.  How?

You skip over Orlovskys calling him the best of every young QB not named Mahomes drafted since whatever on national TV for a internet report by some writer we dont know

Theres your answer.  Its more on you

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

The only people who hate the Jets are us. Nobody else has time enough to care, they're just laughing. Most of the media just troll us cause we're a big market. The best example is that human bottom feeding roach, Manish. He has a career cause he knows we'll give him clicks on his complete bullahit. Guy is a cockroach, but he'll outlast most of us

To be fair, cockroaches outlast most things.

• Haha 1

The Jets are mostly hated by their own fans because the pain this team puts it's fans through is torture level at times. But in general we have become an easy target over the years. 

Butt fumble, Rex saying dumb sh*t, Jets coach tripping a player, Bellichick napkin situation, Mangini Spy Gate situation, Darnold getting mono countless embarrassing draft moments....probably missing a bunch. Being a bad team the past decade doesn't help either.

It's easy to see why and sometimes I just shake my head and laugh when I watch them play. Better to laugh than cry.

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

The Jets have always been a laughingstock. Let's just face the facts. The Jets organization ever since it's inception had personified STUPID. The Jets do and say EVERYTHING to make themselves appear like a bunch of GD idiots. Latest brilliant move would be trading Jamal Adams. I don't care if they get 3 1st rounders for Jamal, they would still squander EVERY pick because they SUCK at drafting. Add in small, petty things like cheering when Chad Pennington got injured. That's about as cheap and low rent a move as fan Base could possibly be. 

The above and many other incidents is why this team is hated. They do it to themselves and dumb fans just pile on.

But how do you REALLY feel ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I was looking at the QB ranking chart in the other thread and seeing Darnold basically rated as Ryan Leaf and I was just wondering where that animosity comes from?

As a Yankees fan I get people hating on them.  They’re the Yankees 27 World Series championships, highest payroll(not true anymore but that’s the perception) your wife or gf in Ohio wishes she was with Jeter.  But what did the Jets ever do?

Is it because Giants fans in the media hate sharing the spotlight?  Is it because patriots homers on ESPN spew venom?

It's not legitimate hate.  It's phony.  It's manufactured.  It's an industry.  It's as fake as Joe Beningo's promoted, rehearsed, scripted rants.

SOFJ's click this sh-t.  It makes money.  Until they stop, the media is going to keep feeding Eeyore.

SAR I

44 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

The Jets are mostly hated by their own fans because the pain this team puts it's fans through is torture level at times. But in general we have become an easy target over the years. 

Butt fumble, Rex saying dumb sh*t, Jets coach tripping a player, Bellichick napkin situation, Mangini Spy Gate situation, Darnold getting mono countless embarrassing draft moments....probably missing a bunch. Being a bad team the past decade doesn't help either.

It's easy to see why and sometimes I just shake my head and laugh when I watch them play. Better to laugh than cry.

Id bet that 90% of those who watch football have no idea that a Jet coach tripped or didn't trip anyone.

Butt fumble and Rex were all in a short window, the same era, which included 2 AFCCGs.  

Over blown.  It comes down to what have you done lately.  That hasn't been much in 10 years.  Make the playoffs and its all over.  The Bills haven't won a playoff game since what the 90s?  Have been to the playoffs only twice in those years?  They're not crying about hatred now 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

People don't really hate the Jets. But..

1) They hate New York. and...

2) They like to sh*t on New York teams that don't win. You'll never have a "lovable loser" from New York like you do Chicago. New York is the economic and cultural capital of the country, and subsequently has the arrogance to go with it. It's a hyper competitive city that draws the best and the brightest. It's full of winners. If you're a loser here you suck. Nobody loves you.

So the solution is simple. We need to win.

Meh, I think it’s (world view) changed from...

1970-80’s NYC=  tougher, stronger, bigger, cooler than anywhere else in the world

to...

2000-10’s NYC= overcommercialized bunch of pretentious pussies 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

That is more or less reality.  Darnold just hasn't put it together 

What the hell is the QB ranking chart???  So you found an article that disses Sam and everyone hates us?  It's called sports!  We love our teams and hate the rest.  Some more than others.    The only difference is so many posters on this site love to play the victim card.  Get over it.

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Id bet that 90% of those who watch football have no idea that a Jet coach tripped or didn't trip anyone.

Butt fumble and Rex were all in a short window, the same era, which included 2 AFCCGs.  

Over blown.  It comes down to what have you done lately.  That hasn't been much in 10 years.  Make the playoffs and its all over.  The Bills haven't won a playoff game since what the 90s?  Have been to the playoffs only twice in those years?  They're not crying about hatred now 

That was just a small example, but you get the point. It just add's to the ridiculousness that is sometimes the Jets. Not winning anything recently just adds to that.

They don't hate the Jets it's always been the cool thing to make bash the Jets. Even when we were making AFC championship games we were never taken seriously. 

And the last few years have made it easy to pick on the Jets so until we start winning you should expect the lack of respect for any players on this roster. 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:17 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

People don't really hate the Jets. But..

1) They hate New York. and...

2) They like to sh*t on New York teams that don't win. You'll never have a "lovable loser" from New York like you do Chicago. New York is the economic and cultural capital of the country, and subsequently has the arrogance to go with it. It's a hyper competitive city that draws the best and the brightest. It's full of winners. If you're a loser here you suck. Nobody loves you.

So the solution is simple. We need to win.

I think this is the biggest thing. 

I grew up in the NYC metro area, and when I moved away as a teenager/young adult, one of the first I noticed was how many people around the country hate on NYC.  It’s a combination of jealously and being “anti-establishment.” It’s a very interesting phenomenon. I have also found that people treat LA in a similar fashion. 

I think when you combine a national anti-NY bias with the fact that the Jets are perennial losers, you have the kid in school who is easy to pick on.

As you wrote, just win 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

We're an easy target as  joke of a franchise with a 408-500 win/loss record all time.

Our fan base is a healthy mix of moronic, masochisic, self loathing, and annoying. So that helps the outsiders perspective of our little tribe.

I hate most of you along with myself and our team generally makes me ill. Looks like I check a minimum of two of those boxes on a good day, all four on a bad one. We all get points for being loyal masochists that no one wants to be around though.

The real question is who cares what they think?.... They're all horrible insufferable a$$hats as well.;-)

Go Jets

med_res

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I'm drunk half the time and could put together a better list than ESPN. It's why I resent the media during this Covid BS. They still get paid to put out the world's dumbest takes for clicks, while 90% of The people this Virus wouldn't hurt are stuck home cause we flat lined the econemy instead of doing a selective shut down protecting the vulnerable. Half the deaths are cause they forced infected people into nursing homes. This entire thing will look retarded in 6 months, most of my friends who lost jobs won't get to laugh about it though cause their jobs aren't coming back any time soon

you need some beach time...go south and odnt forget your gun!

Jets are an easy target, don;t worry if the Jets make the playoffs or have a good run they will be the next darlings of the national media who will act as if they always knew they were good.

By far the most informed options on teams come from their own fan forums.  Yes we bicker and we have some 'can do no wrong' and 'can do no right' posters but if you want to get the true goods on a a player or a team the fans know.

I don't think anybody hates the Jets! I think they root for the Jets and clearly, we somehow seem to fall short year after year. I became a fan around 1995 I think it was rich kotite last year. I think the Jets have had a pretty good run and we've been to the playoffs many times.

I've also seen great coaches, coordinators, players, but we just can't seem to get it all together at once! Every time we have a great defense we have no offense. Every time we win games we have no special teams. We always seem to just fall short right?

I think where we are currently at right now without a head coach, defensive coordinator, general manager, and quarterback, this will be the closest we have been to a complete team in a long time. I have nothing but positive feelings and hopes for the future.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I'm drunk half the time and could put together a better list than ESPN. It's why I resent the media during this Covid BS. They still get paid to put out the world's dumbest takes for clicks, while 90% of The people this Virus wouldn't hurt are stuck home cause we flat lined the econemy instead of doing a selective shut down protecting the vulnerable. Half the deaths are cause they forced infected people into nursing homes. This entire thing will look retarded in 6 months, most of my friends who lost jobs won't get to laugh about it though cause their jobs aren't coming back any time soon

lightweight 

Biggest media market team with a more established team that represents one of the founding fathers in the football league.  Chris Berman put it best:  early Jets fans represented the newer generation of NY football fans from various "buebs."  And I think that condition even appeals to fans in other places dentify with that kind of upstart, bratty nobodies.  Not wanting to go with the accepted NFL establishment that Joe laughed at.  We had the most charismatic QB with bad knees dropped into our laps to beat that same bunch of prized NFC tools.  So when we didn't follow that up, we were laughed at.  SI covers always looking for the next star to transform the Jets.  But that never came.  So that new, winning appeal transformed into something else after 50 years of failure.

The Jets fan life is a unique, binding form of experience.  But we keep in tight numbers and are as vindictive as hell.  We will get even with those bastards.  And then it will open season.  If we win the SB then it's time to open the floodgates on social media.  And the critics will not have a leg to stand on.  Because we will have taken everything they threw at us.

(Yeah.  You can laugh but remember the Phily SB victory speeches?  That was a lot of pent up FU .  And everybody in the crowd felt that.  The Jets would have something very similar.)

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, predator_05 said:

The jets aren't hated, they're irrelevant. If anything, we're lucky to get as much attention as we do, given how sh*t we've been historically.

This is true. We are the Jacksonville Jaguars in a global market.

2 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

That was just a small example, but you get the point. It just add's to the ridiculousness that is sometimes the Jets. Not winning anything recently just adds to that.

All the rest is also part of a small sample.  All anyone how's about the Jets is they havent won in a while.  All the rest of the nonsense is what makes fans cringe over their own team.  

No one thought we were a clown show when we were winning under Rex, going to championship games.  Lose and his schtick wore thin.  

As I said the Bills were a joke.  Now they're not, win and it goes away

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I’ve been a Jets fan since the 60s. There was no national football media and fan hatred of the Jets historically. In fact, it was the opposite for the 60s - 90s. 

It is a fairly recent issue that can be explained with four letters:

ESPN

*Fixed

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Butterfield said:

As someone who has never lived in NYC or nearby, but has lived in at least 4 cities or at least rooting areas of rivals, no one hates the jets.  

They laugh at us for liking them.  They might make fun of them.  But no one hates them.  

This was my take more or less too.  I've always been a resident of either B'klyn. or L.I. so I don't have that outsiders view but my impression is that to most of the country we are the Browns.  We're even the Browns to the Browns.  (we all know what we think if the Browns, right) :)   

Because most still associate the Jets with the clown shoes Rex/Sanchez era.

Sure, they made two AFC Championship games...which made it all the funnier to the national audience at large when a big talk, hot air filled NY franchise previously seen as “loveable”...well...”tolerable” losers ended up falling flat on their faces in the end.

Nothing is more associated with the Jets outside of this fanbase over the last 50 years than Sanchez running headstrong into Brandon Moore’s fat ass and Rex continually flapping his fat gums.

Sad but true

7 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

We're an easy target as  joke of a franchise with a 408-500 win/loss record all time.

Our fan base is a healthy mix of moronic, masochisic, self loathing, and annoying. So that helps the outsiders perspective of our little tribe.

I hate most of you along with myself and our team generally makes me ill. Looks like I check a minimum of two of those boxes on a good day, all four on a bad one. We all get points for being loyal masochists that no one wants to be around though.

The real question is who cares what they think?.... They're all horrible insufferable a$$hats as well.;-)

Go Jets

Wow, we may have a front runner for Jetnation.  captain  this year. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

By far the most informed options on teams come from their own fan forums.  Yes we bicker and we have some 'can do no wrong' and 'can do no right' posters but if you want to get the true goods on a a player or a team the fans know.

With notable exceptions like current defenders of Jamal Adams and past defenders of Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

With notable exceptions like current defenders of Jamal Adams and past defenders of Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington.  

Imagine someone defending the only All Pro on the team... crazy stuff, huh?

?

• Sympathy 1