How Jets Rookie Safety can Increase Impact and Value of Jamal Adams

IMG_5907.jpg

We hear it all the time from fan bases across the NFL.  “Teams should put their players in the best position to succeed”.  It seems like a fairly logical suggestion, but sadly we don’t see it as often as we should.  Jets fans have to look no further than their team’s own failure to maximize the ability of running back Le’Veon Bell just last season.

However, with the arrival of rookie safety Ashtyn Davis, it’s on the other side of the ball where the Jets may stand to get one of their best players to produce at an even higher level in safety Jamal Adams.

Having been named an All-Pro in 2019 after making it as an alternate in 2018, Adams has cemented himself as one of the league’s top defenders, but could stand to raise his profile even more if Davis is as good as advertised.  The folks at Pro Football Focus listed Davis, an athletic freak, as a first-round talent.

Have any comments on this or anything else related to Jets football?  Click here to log in and join our forums.

New Jets safety Ashtyn Davis projects as a top-flight deep safety with plus slot coverage capabilities, as well.

Davis still needs to improve his instincts/processing, but his range on the back end is up there with the best in this class — dude can fly.pic.twitter.com/Aj9ybAAUiO

— Austin Gayle (@PFF_AustinGayle) April 25, 2020

Davis’ elite athletic traits allow him to cover tons of ground in the secondary while having a nose for the ball when coming downhill.  But it’s that ability to cover, that if it should translate at the pro level, should be reason enough to put Jamal Adams in the spot where he has the biggest impact which is of course around the line of scrimmage.

This isn’t to say Adams can’t’ cover, because he certainly can.  However, Adams doesn’t have nearly the impact as a cover man that he does as a blitzer or in run support.  In fact, in three pro seasons, Adams has dropped back in coverage 1,688 times according to PFF.  That has resulted in 2 interceptions, one of which was a garbage time pick-six against Patriots backup Jarrett Stidham who was making his NFL debut.

Of course there’s more to being in coverage than coming away with interceptions, but in terms of being a difference maker, there is no argument to be made, or not a sane one anyway, that says Adams doesn’t have a much bigger impact in the box.  Once defensive coordinator Gregg Williams began asking Adams to do more up front this season, he began making more plays.

In fact, leading up to their week 9 meeting against the New York Giants, Adams had picked up 8 quarterback pressures and one sack on the season.  From week 10-17, even having missed two full games after playing on a bum ankle in week 13, Adams picked up 17 quarterback pressures and  5.5 sacks.

Even with that being an unrealistic pace to keep over the course of a season, Adams’ dominance against the run game may not be as he has logged 28 tackles for lass through his first three seasons, his career best coming last season when he picked up 10 TFL’s despite a career low 14 games.

Of course adding Davis to the defensive mix along with Adams would make it necessary to remove another defender from that package which shouldn’t be a problem for Gregg Williams given the versatility of both Davis and Adams who are free to line up in the slot, the boundary or at safety or even along the edge or inside linebacker in Adams’ case.

If like many players before him, Davis is slow to adjust to the pro game (if at all), it becomes a moot point.  But a strong start out of the gate for Davis could mean more time on the field for him with more splash plays from Adams.  Both of which would be welcome sights for Joe Douglas and company.

The post How Jets Rookie Safety can Increase Impact and Value of Jamal Adams appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
uzf47LjV_9U

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 interception for every 844 coverage snaps isn't what I expected from Adams when he was drafted.  If Davis can be a bigger factor aginst the pass then why not keep Jamal in the box more often even if Adams is a good cover guy?

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

1 interception for every 844 coverage snaps isn't what I expected from Adams when he was drafted.  If Davis can be a bigger factor aginst the pass then why not keep Jamal in the box more often even if Adams is a good cover guy?

Question:     Why is Adams, who is asked to play in the box more than not, criticized for his lack of INTs when Maye, who is playing free safety, has less than Adams and gets no grief whatsoever?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How much is Davis realistically going to see the field in '20? I can't imagine he surpassing Maye on the depth chart as a rookie.

I think he sees the field a lot.  Maybe 3 safety coverages with 3 Dbs and 5 D line and LBs

and it’s not like Maye never gets hurt.....

• Upvote 2

this guy davis seems like a decent player.  he played corner as well as safety so maybe they could throw him in with maye and adams and let adams be more like a linebacker.  it's too early to tell how all of these draftees will play out but it looks like douglas drafted football players.

16 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I think he sees the field a lot.  Maybe 3 safety coverages with 3 Dbs and 5 D line and LBs

and it’s not like Maye never gets hurt.....

Yea he's basically limited to sub-packages and injury fill in outside of special teams. I don't think he'll be on the field that often for those reasons but maybe we'll be in those packages more often than I anticipate.

Maye has been in the league 3 seasons - he played two full seasons and missed 10 games one season w/injury. Anyone can be injured on any given play - I don't think Maye has shown that he's injury prone - at least no more than anyone else.

45 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Question:     Why is Adams, who is asked to play in the box more than not, criticized for his lack of INTs when Maye, who is playing free safety, has less than Adams and gets no grief whatsoever?

Because one was drafted in the second round and one was drafted in the top ten. One has played to value for the most part and one never will be able to. 

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Because one was drafted in the second round and one was drafted in the top ten. One has played to value for the most part and one never will be able to. 

You read my post, thought about the question, and that was your best serious answer?

Once the draft is over, where they were picked matters only to fans.  Players play the game regardless of draft slot.  Do you think Jets players are grumbling among themselves that Adams should have more picks for a high first rd selection?  Do you think they grade on a curve and praise Maye for what he does based on where he was drafted?   Did Adams make All Pro because of his draft status?  And did Maye not make All Pro because he was a second round pick?

21 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Did Adams make All Pro because of his draft status?

Somewhat. 

All star, all pro, are largely popularity contests. His draft position gives him better name recognition than most safeties. His endless self-promotion doesn't hurt him with the all pro ballots, either. 

He's a very good player, but those things give him an edge when it's time to hand out accolades. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, slats said:

Somewhat. 

All star, all pro, are largely popularity contests. His draft position gives him better name recognition than most safeties. His endless self-promotion doesn't hurt him with the all pro ballots, either. 

He's a very good player, but those things give him an edge when it's time to hand out accolades. 

I think his mouth and draft status mean little without production.   Just as many on this site are turned off by his actions, that can play with voters too.

I dont remember Dwayne Robertson getting All Pro consideration despite his draft status or his “ bowling ball with butcher knives” description.

How many all Pros did our “Louisville slugger “ safety get?

If Adams didnt produce and have stats to back up his selection, he could talk all day and no one would notice.   Or they would just laugh.

You say that All Pro is a popularity contest but I just reviewed last years choices and they all look pretty solid to me.   Can you point out which other selections are without merit but reflect the players popularity?

Nice article. Considering the Jets, like most teams, play about 80% of their defensive snaps in nickel and dime, I think Davis gets a good amount of reps. Mostly as a safety in dime packages. Also, considering how good Jamal, Davis, Maye and Poole are at run support, I think we will be in dime roughly a quarter of the time. Our corners are good in run support as well.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I think his mouth and draft status mean little without production.   Just as many on this site are turned off by his actions, that can play with voters too.

I dont remember Dwayne Robertson getting All Pro consideration despite his draft status or his “ bowling ball with butcher knives” description.

How many all Pros did our “Louisville slugger “ safety get?

If Adams didnt produce and have stats to back up his selection, he could talk all day and no one would notice.   Or they would just laugh.

You say that All Pro is a popularity contest but I just reviewed last years choices and they all look pretty solid to me.   Can you point out which other selections are without merit but reflect the players popularity?

1.) I think Adams is a very good player. 

2.) His draft status and and self-promotion will work for him his entire career. 

I'd point to a guy like Brandon Scherff. He's playing a lower valued position in OG but he's going to make $15M this year on the franchise tag. And then they're going to have to decide if they want to give him a long term deal after that or let him walk. It's a situation they're in because Scherff was drafted high, and also got all pro honors. Like Adams, he's very good, but I wouldn't put him in the elite pay class where he is now, just as I wouldn't with Adams. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, slats said:

1.) I think Adams is a very good player. 

2.) His draft status and and self-promotion will work for him his entire career. 

I'd point to a guy like Brandon Scherff. He's playing a lower valued position in OG but he's going to make $15M this year on the franchise tag. And then they're going to have to decide if they want to give him a long term deal after that or let him walk. It's a situation they're in because Scherff was drafted high, and also got all pro honors. Like Adams, he's very good, but I wouldn't put him in the elite pay class where he is now, just as I wouldn't with Adams. 

Its one thing for a player to be voted awards because of popularity, but do you think the Redskins and Jets dont know what they have, so why would they pay inflated prices?

And why are several good teams lining up to trade for Adams, knowing that he ll want a top of the market contract?

Just how over rated do you think these players are?  Top 3? Top 5? Top 10 at their position?

5 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Its one thing for a player to be voted awards because of popularity, but do you think the Redskins and Jets dont know what they have, so why would they pay inflated prices?

And why are several good teams lining up to trade for Adams, knowing that he ll want a top of the market contract?

Just how over rated do you think these players are?  Top 3? Top 5? Top 10 at their position?

I think the Redskins are a poorly run organization that overpaid for Scherff, and now they're in a tough spot where they have to negotiate with a guard based on an OT's franchise tag, slap the tag on him again, or let him walk. I'm not going to pretend I have a list of guards in my head better than Scherff, I just know I wouldn't be slapping the franchise tag on one. 

I feel pretty good about Joe Douglas, and think that the Jets might suddenly be becoming a well run football team. The difference is that the Redskins have already overpaid, but the Jets have not. I understand that the Jets have a talented football player in Jamal Adams, and I think JD does, too. It's his job to determine Adams' value to the team. Right now, it seems, Douglas thinks Adams is worth what he's getting on his rookie contract. That's what all the fuss is about, Adams wanting to be paid with two years left on his current contract. Going forward, Douglas has to decide whether to pay him, string him along down the franchise tag route, or get the most out of his value in a trade. That's still to be determined, and I still like the trade option. 

And who are "several" teams? I've heard Cowboys and Ravens, and very little from the Ravens. 

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the Redskins are a poorly run organization that overpaid for Scherff, and now they're in a tough spot where they have to negotiate with a guard based on an OT's franchise tag, slap the tag on him again, or let him walk. I'm not going to pretend I have a list of guards in my head better than Scherff, I just know I wouldn't be slapping the franchise tag on one. 

I feel pretty good about Joe Douglas, and think that the Jets might suddenly be becoming a well run football team. The difference is that the Redskins have already overpaid, but the Jets have not. I understand that the Jets have a talented football player in Jamal Adams, and I think JD does, too. It's his job to determine Adams' value to the team. Right now, it seems, Douglas thinks Adams is worth what he's getting on his rookie contract. That's what all the fuss is about, Adams wanting to be paid with two years left on his current contract. Going forward, Douglas has to decide whether to pay him, string him along down the franchise tag route, or get the most out of his value in a trade. That's still to be determined, and I still like the trade option. 

And who are "several" teams? I've heard Cowboys and Ravens, and very little from the Ravens. 

The Cowboys and Ravens are both rumored to be interested.  There may be more that we havent heard about.  Regardless those are two reasonably well run teams that wouldnt mind having the problem of Adams on their team.

I think Douglas doesnt want to start a precedent of tearing up contracts after 3 years since Darnold reps would be knocking on the door next year and asking why he wouldnt get the same treatment.  Adams is going to have to wait unless he wants to take less than he wants to buy out his last 2-3 years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

You read my post, thought about the question, and that was your best serious answer?

Once the draft is over, where they were picked matters only to fans.  Players play the game regardless of draft slot.  Do you think Jets players are grumbling among themselves that Adams should have more picks for a high first rd selection?  Do you think they grade on a curve and praise Maye for what he does based on where he was drafted?   Did Adams make All Pro because of his draft status?  And did Maye not make All Pro because he was a second round pick?

This isn’t a locker room. This is an internet fan message board. So I gave you the answer that’s applicable to the situation. Not sure the point you’re failing to make here. I answered your question from the fan perspective. If you want a different one, you’ve come to the wrong place. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Probably because Maye, unlike Adams, is actually in the last year of his contract, but isn't making a peep. Or maybe because he's playing out of his natural position because Adams has that job. Trade Adams, and Maye is probably getting 90% of Adams' production at SS for a quarter of the cost next year. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7455192

200.gif

Slats is flat out wrecking b*itches on this page.  Daaaaaaamn,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

The Cowboys and Ravens are both rumored to be interested.  There may be more that we havent heard about.  Regardless those are two reasonably well run teams that wouldnt mind having the problem of Adams on their team.

I think Douglas doesnt want to start a precedent of tearing up contracts after 3 years since Darnold reps would be knocking on the door next year and asking why he wouldnt get the same treatment.  Adams is going to have to wait unless he wants to take less than he wants to buy out his last 2-3 years.

You seem to have an understanding of the situation. This exactly what I have been saying. Jamal can want a free market price extension. But he's not on the free market and JD unlike that idiot Mac won't just concede that to him cause he is a good player. If Jamal was saying hey I'll take a 30% paycut in exchange for up front security there might be something there. But asking for free market prices when you are theoretically locked into a price controlled contact for about three years isn't going to get you anywhere and pissing and moaning about it just makes him look dumb to me. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

hen Maye, who is playing free safety, has less than Adams and gets no grief whatsoever?

how many times must i point out that Maye is a JAG and is always late...  i give him grief every opp I get..

especially when this nonsense comes up ....."best safety pair"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This isn’t a locker room. This is an internet fan message board. So I gave you the answer that’s applicable to the situation. Not sure the point you’re failing to make here. I answered your question from the fan perspective. If you want a different one, you’ve come to the wrong place. 

So your answer is because its a message board we need to dumb things down?

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Any Adams contract would be an extension. They wouldn’t tear up the last two years of his deal, they’d tack the new contract onto the end of the current one. He would be looking at a tidy bonus sum this year, though. 

But as you say, there is no incentive for the Jets to do that with Adams. They have him locked up for less than he wants for the next three years, at least, and -if they wanted to push it- they could probably franchise him a second time for less than he wants, too. Outside of media pressure and creating a trade market, he has no leverage at all. So I don’t blame him for creating this current situation, I just wouldn’t pay him. I’m hoping he attracts enough attention to get the Jets an offer JD’s willing to accept. 

Darnold’s a whole ‘nother thing. If he performs in a way this year which makes me believe he’s my franchise QB, I start extension talks. I’ve spelled it out before, but when you’re talking QB money, the earlier you make a deal, the more money you save. Having the extra two years to spread out any bonus money is also a major salary cap plus. Players may not love QBs getting special treatment, but they’re smart enough to understand it. 

• Upvote 4

On 5/25/2020 at 8:37 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

How much is Davis realistically going to see the field in '20? I can't imagine he surpassing Maye on the depth chart as a rookie.

Why not?  Maye isn't a center fielder anyways.  He's a SS.  Unless he's in their long-term plans at SS, they're likely going to phase him out over the course of the season, then let him walk as a free agent.  

On 5/25/2020 at 8:44 AM, Bowles Movement said:

Probably because Maye wasn't the # 6 overall pick and isn't asking to be paid like one of the game's top defensive players?  Just a thought.

Maye has indeed gotten criticism, btw.  

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why not?  Maye isn't a center fielder anyways.  He's a SS.  Unless he's in their long-term plans at SS, they're likely going to phase him out over the course of the season, then let him walk as a free agent.  

Since when is Maye not a FS? I can see them letting Maye walk and Davis starting next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Since when is Maye not a FS? I can see them letting Maye walk and Davis starting next year.

Since he has 4 INTs over 3 seasons.  Since he had more FF's (6) than INT's (5) in college. His play style doesn't fit being a center fielder at all.  He's a much better fit at SS.  

We drafted SS's with our 1st and 2nd round picks in 2017.  Thanks Macc.

• Upvote 2

On 5/25/2020 at 8:37 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Marcus maye isn't very good. Davis is better.

Change my mind. 

• Upvote 1