Sign in to follow this  
JetNation

How Jets Rookie Safety can Increase Impact and Value of Jamal Adams

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

1 interception for every 844 coverage snaps isn't what I expected from Adams when he was drafted.  If Davis can be a bigger factor aginst the pass then why not keep Jamal in the box more often even if Adams is a good cover guy?

Question:     Why is Adams, who is asked to play in the box more than not, criticized for his lack of INTs when Maye, who is playing free safety, has less than Adams and gets no grief whatsoever?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How much is Davis realistically going to see the field in '20? I can't imagine he surpassing Maye on the depth chart as a rookie.

I think he sees the field a lot.  Maybe 3 safety coverages with 3 Dbs and 5 D line and LBs

and it’s not like Maye never gets hurt.....

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Because one was drafted in the second round and one was drafted in the top ten. One has played to value for the most part and one never will be able to. 

You read my post, thought about the question, and that was your best serious answer?

Once the draft is over, where they were picked matters only to fans.  Players play the game regardless of draft slot.  Do you think Jets players are grumbling among themselves that Adams should have more picks for a high first rd selection?  Do you think they grade on a curve and praise Maye for what he does based on where he was drafted?   Did Adams make All Pro because of his draft status?  And did Maye not make All Pro because he was a second round pick?

46 minutes ago, slats said:

Somewhat. 

All star, all pro, are largely popularity contests. His draft position gives him better name recognition than most safeties. His endless self-promotion doesn't hurt him with the all pro ballots, either. 

He's a very good player, but those things give him an edge when it's time to hand out accolades. 

I think his mouth and draft status mean little without production.   Just as many on this site are turned off by his actions, that can play with voters too.

I dont remember Dwayne Robertson getting All Pro consideration despite his draft status or his “ bowling ball with butcher knives” description.

How many all Pros did our “Louisville slugger “ safety get?

If Adams didnt produce and have stats to back up his selection, he could talk all day and no one would notice.   Or they would just laugh.

You say that All Pro is a popularity contest but I just reviewed last years choices and they all look pretty solid to me.   Can you point out which other selections are without merit but reflect the players popularity?

26 minutes ago, slats said:

1.) I think Adams is a very good player. 

2.) His draft status and and self-promotion will work for him his entire career. 

I'd point to a guy like Brandon Scherff. He's playing a lower valued position in OG but he's going to make $15M this year on the franchise tag. And then they're going to have to decide if they want to give him a long term deal after that or let him walk. It's a situation they're in because Scherff was drafted high, and also got all pro honors. Like Adams, he's very good, but I wouldn't put him in the elite pay class where he is now, just as I wouldn't with Adams. 

Its one thing for a player to be voted awards because of popularity, but do you think the Redskins and Jets dont know what they have, so why would they pay inflated prices?

And why are several good teams lining up to trade for Adams, knowing that he ll want a top of the market contract?

Just how over rated do you think these players are?  Top 3? Top 5? Top 10 at their position?

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the Redskins are a poorly run organization that overpaid for Scherff, and now they're in a tough spot where they have to negotiate with a guard based on an OT's franchise tag, slap the tag on him again, or let him walk. I'm not going to pretend I have a list of guards in my head better than Scherff, I just know I wouldn't be slapping the franchise tag on one. 

I feel pretty good about Joe Douglas, and think that the Jets might suddenly be becoming a well run football team. The difference is that the Redskins have already overpaid, but the Jets have not. I understand that the Jets have a talented football player in Jamal Adams, and I think JD does, too. It's his job to determine Adams' value to the team. Right now, it seems, Douglas thinks Adams is worth what he's getting on his rookie contract. That's what all the fuss is about, Adams wanting to be paid with two years left on his current contract. Going forward, Douglas has to decide whether to pay him, string him along down the franchise tag route, or get the most out of his value in a trade. That's still to be determined, and I still like the trade option. 

And who are "several" teams? I've heard Cowboys and Ravens, and very little from the Ravens. 

The Cowboys and Ravens are both rumored to be interested.  There may be more that we havent heard about.  Regardless those are two reasonably well run teams that wouldnt mind having the problem of Adams on their team.

I think Douglas doesnt want to start a precedent of tearing up contracts after 3 years since Darnold reps would be knocking on the door next year and asking why he wouldnt get the same treatment.  Adams is going to have to wait unless he wants to take less than he wants to buy out his last 2-3 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This isn’t a locker room. This is an internet fan message board. So I gave you the answer that’s applicable to the situation. Not sure the point you’re failing to make here. I answered your question from the fan perspective. If you want a different one, you’ve come to the wrong place. 

So your answer is because its a message board we need to dumb things down?

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company