What will be the Jets Starting OL Sept 13 at Buffalo?

Starting OL vs Buffalo in Game 1  

95 members have voted

1. 1. The Jets Starting offensive line on opening day will most likely be....

• LT - Mekhi Becton LG - Alex Lewis C - Connor McGovern RG - Greg Van Roten RT - George Fant
    • LT - George Fant LG - Alex Lewis C - Connor McGovern RG - Greg Van Roten RT - Mekhi Becton
    • LT - Mekhi Becton LG - Greg Van Roten C - Connor McGovern RG - Brian Winters RT - George Fant
    • LT - George Fant LG - Greg Van Roten C - Connor McGovern RG - Brian Winters RT - Mekhi Becton
    • LT - George Fant LG - Greg Van Roten C - Connor McGovern RG - Chuma Edoga RT - Mekhi Becton
    • LT - Mekhi Becton LG - Chuma Edoga C - Connor McGovern RG - Greg Van Roten RT - George Fant
    • LT - Mekhi Becton LG - Cameron Clark C - Connor McGovern RG - Greg Van Roten RT- George Fant
    • LT - George Fant LG - Greg Van Roten C - Connor McGovern RG - Cameron Clark RT - Mekhi Becton
    • LT - Mekhi Becton LG - Greg Van Roten C - Connor McGovern RG - Alex Lewis RT - George Fant
    • LT - George Fant LG - Greg Van Roten C - Connor McGovern RG - Alex Lewis RT - Mekhi Becton

I am going with none of the above.  I just an not comfortable with Fant's combination of ACL, high ankle sprains and groin pulls.  I think it is an indication of some other interactive issue that has not been brought to light.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Left to right: 

Fant - Lewis - McGovern - Winters - Becton

Lewis signed a bigger deal than Van Roten, and the team seems to really like Winters. I switched the tackles because I think Fant would be much better on the left side than he would on the right, and while (I hope!) Becton will eventually be a force at LT, I think he could be a running game mauler as a rookie learning the NFL on the right. 

Bingo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Becton-GVR-McGovern-Winters- Fant

i know Lewis got paid more than gvr, but I don’t think that matters. Lewis will back up both guard spots like last year. Best 5 will start. 

No, Winters sucks. He'll backup or play on another team...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Becton-GVR-McGovern-Winters- Fant

i know Lewis got paid more than gvr, but I don’t think that matters. Lewis will back up both guard spots like last year. Best 5 will start. 

I agree. Contrary to popular belief I like Winters and if he's fully recovered from the injuries he played with last season I think he'll be pretty good. I liked what I saw from Fant at LT - when he did play - and hope he can make the transition to RT. Lewis provides excellent backup. 

Overall, JD put together at least a mid level OL from the ashes that Macc left. I'm excited to watch Sam play with an OL that can pass and run block. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Does Winters stick

i hope not- that’s a lot of cap space and depth is decent without him

We have an equal quality player in van Roten (with fewer penalties) and his competition is being paid $8mil. 

This is a no brainer. If they want to keep him wait till it’s time for camp cuts and make him take less or be cut. Gets us $5mil back in cap space. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

We have an equal quality player in van Roten (with fewer penalties) and his competition is being paid $8mil. 

This is a no brainer. If they want to keep him wait till it’s time for camp cuts and make him take less or be cut. Gets us $5mil back in cap space. 

I hope Winters takes a new deal that saves cap space. I still want him on the team as a starter or a good backup because I don't think Chuma is any good - hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, slats said:

Left to right: 

Fant - Lewis - McGovern - Winters - Becton

Lewis signed a bigger deal than Van Roten, and the team seems to really like Winters. I switched the tackles because I think Fant would be much better on the left side than he would on the right, and while (I hope!) Becton will eventually be a force at LT, I think he could be a running game mauler as a rookie learning the NFL on the right. 

I think there is a good shot Winters starts. I just see Becton and LT and Fant at RT.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think there is a good shot Winters starts. I just see Becton and LT and Fant at RT.

Only if the rookie shows in camp that he can lock down the left side. Having GW's blitz packeges will determine if Becton can protect Sam's flank. Throw the kitchen sink at him and Fant. Best player plays.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Fant signed for 9-10 million per year. How anyone thinks he's not starting is ridiculous.  He's not backing anyone up.  He'll be playing Rt or LT.  

My thoughts too.

I'm figuring he starts at LT, and maybe he gets switched with Becton at some point in the season.

• Upvote 3

George Fant at LT,  Greg Van Roten at LG, Connor McGovern at C - Alex Lewis at RG- Mekhi Becton at RT

Mekhi is going to take time to develop.  I cant imagine he will start at LT.  Pro edge rushers will juke him with basic moves and Sam will take a beating. 

The lineup I predict is not there

LT Becton

LG Lewis

C McGovern

RG Winters

RT Edoga

Swing tackle Fant

GVR 1st man off the bench 

if George Fant was a RT he would have played RT for Seattle. Instead that team signed Brandon Shell to start a player we all couldn't care less that he walked. Meanwhile Gase has given Edoga every chance under the sun. 

Winters is the RG starter until proven otherwise he has like 75 starts in the AFC East compared to GVR, Lewis, Andrews, Clark with a combined 0 career starts at RG 

• Upvote 1

Becton and Fant feel like locks to be the starting tackles. I have a hard time imagining Edoga will start over Fant considering the money they paid him.

McGovern is going to start at center.

The guards are most up in the air. I'd bet on GVR and Winters with Lewis backing up both spots... If they didn't see Winters as a starter I don't think he'd still be on the team.