Report: Ravens in trade discussions for Jamal Adams

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Amazing fall from grace.  Wrote for a national paper, parlayed that into a number of TV shows, was the regular inside guy on Inside The NFL to a Twitter nobody

Jamal’s father is friends with Michael Irvin and Irvin is a mouthpiece for Jerry Jones, and Irvin has been running with Adams-to-the-Boys since last year. In fact, in October, Ryan Clark reported that Adams was excited about being a Cowboy, which Adams eventually admitted to in one of his self-victimization locker room press conferences.

Three things are going to be knowns: 1. The Cowboys have a massive hole at safety; 2. Jamal Adams would prefer to be a Cowboy; 3. Joe Douglas is under zero duress to extend Adams at all, much less to pay him a penny over what Eddie Jackson got. You don’t have to be an NFL Insider to conclude that there are no negotiations ongoing between the Jets and Adams, and that the Cowboys would be an interested party in any potential trade scenario. This idea that good ol’ loyal Jamal is happily waiting two years to get his Jets extension because he loves being a Jet so much is the height of fan fiction.

• Upvote 3

End of the day he just wants to get paid, also I wouldnt be surprised if he looks at the history of the jets and is skeptical that he can win here.  

IMO.  I don't think he ends up getting traded, I think JD ends up getting the deal done eventually.  I predict once the offseason starts rolling and we're guaranteed a season and what kind of season comes into a clearer focus, the negotiations will heat up.  Media will make it seem like Jamal forced our hand, JD will be painted in a negative light by Mehta saying he was bowing down to demands, some how he'll also relate that to Gase pounding the table forcing the jets to give him a lot of money.  Jamal will get a fair deal overall, he'll be locked up for 4-5 more years, and this will all be done. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Ravens starting strong safety is, from an athletic and statistical standpoint, the same player as Jamal Adams, and they just extended him for three years, $16 million. 

More importantly, he got a $5MM SB this year and another $5MM fully guaranteed. We'd have to take him off their hands or they can't really extend Jamal; it'd hurt enough even with us taking another $5MM of Clark's guarantee off their hands.

I'll be surprised if this actually happens, because I don't see Balt coughing up enough picks for Douglss to save face, but never say never.

On the flip side, if it does, the Jets not only come out of this with high picks and cap relief, but they don't even create an immediate hole: they'd also get a 25 year-old SS at $2.5MM/yr guaranteed for the upcoming 2 seasons, followed by annual team options at $3MM/yr after that. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

More importantly, he got a $5MM SB this year and another $5MM fully guaranteed. We'd have to take him off their hands or they can't really extend Jamal; it'd hurt enough even with us taking another $5MM of Clark's guarantee off their hands.

I'll be surprised if this actually happens, because I don't see Balt coughing up enough picks for Douglss to save face, but never say never.

On the flip side, if it does, the Jets not only come out of this with high picks and cap relief, but they don't even create an immediate hole: they'd also get a 25 year-old SS at $2.5MM/yr guaranteed for the upcoming 2 seasons, followed by annual team options at $3MM/yr after that. 

I would imagine any Jamal-to-Baltimore deal ends up with Judon coming back this way. Not only because we have a need, but also because Baltimore (as they do) has a pack of replacements for him already on their roster. I’m not sure what the cap implications would be on a Judon-Clark-pick (2nd?) return, but I think that’d be a good deal for both clubs. 

• Upvote 1

You also have to gauge a deal by who you're trading with. Even without Ozzie the Ravens are considered one of the smartest orgs. So if they're willing to give up good assets and pay the guy maybe he's not a player we should not pay and trade. 

It is certainly true that different teams have different needs and  different degrees of urgency associated with those needs.

So just because the Ravens see value and would be willing to pay Adams (not even remotely proven at this point) does not mean that it makes the same sense for the Jets or anyone else for that matter.  We have pretty good depth and cheap depth at safety and that has to figure into the calculus for us.

• Upvote 2

The amount of drama that surrounds this is pretty crazy if you think about it. This is some General Hospital type sh-t right here.  

It is also weird how much we, as a fan base, hate our best players.

• Upvote 2

Can we also lay to rest the idea of club loyalty or loyalty to the fan base.  Hometown discounts and other such nonsense.  While it may be true for some players, most consider this be a business plain and simple.  It is their job and the job of their agents to maximize the compensation over the course of a finite career.  This is as it should be.

So let's not get caught up in the idea the we "owe them" anything extra because the other side does not feel any such obligation.  let's not fall into trap of trying to guilt our GM into overpaying for a player just because we drafted him and just because we have been cheering him on for the past three years.  That player has no interest in those things except to the extent that they provide negotiating leverage during contract talks.  Revis = Adams in this regard and some here are falling for this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

The reason to trade Jamal Adams is to build around Sam Darnold.

I’d be much happier with Becton/Lamb than Becton/Adams right now, and I’m certain Sam Darnold agrees.

Maybe in Madden but in real life WRs take 3 years to develop and IF they are good you would find out after Sams rookie deal.

• Haha 1

He has no leverage, he's locked up for 2+ years and plays a position of minimal value. Let him make a fuss in the media and when it comes time to play--he will have to show up. This isn't the Zeke situation where a potential playoff caliber team's identity was oriented around him.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal’s father is friends with Michael Irvin and Irvin is a mouthpiece for Jerry Jones, and Irvin has been running with Adams-to-the-Boys since last year. In fact, in October, Ryan Clark reported that Adams was excited about being a Cowboy, which Adams eventually admitted to in one of his self-victimization locker room press conferences.

Three things are going to be knowns: 1. The Cowboys have a massive hole at safety; 2. Jamal Adams would prefer to be a Cowboy; 3. Joe Douglas is under zero duress to extend Adams at all, much less to pay him a penny over what Eddie Jackson got. You don’t have to be an NFL Insider to conclude that there are no negotiations ongoing between the Jets and Adams, and that the Cowboys would be an interested party in any potential trade scenario. This idea that good ol’ loyal Jamal is happily waiting two years to get his Jets extension because he loves being a Jet so much is the height of fan fiction.

Irvin as a mouthpiece for the Cowboys and all the other tie ins are nice stories.  None of which are based in fact.  The idea that Jones has Irvin planting stories that few other than Jets fans are paying attention to is interesting.  Just like the stretch of taking “if they trade me to the Cowboys, I grew up a fan” into I want to go to Dallas.  He was pissed at the time, move forward and all he’s said is he wants to be a Jet, stay a Jet, win as a Jet, turn the team around, win in NY, win for the fans.

None of that is believable or worth taking about, only the piecing together 2nd or 3rd hand opinions and theories.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Haha I reread what I initially wrote and if you read that at face value yes I agree with you that it makes little sense, but I think we know what I mean. He’s amazing run stopping safety. His talent is worth two number 1s but in today’s nfl he wouldn’t fetch that return. 

If the most he would get in a trade is not two number 1s, then that's not his value, no matter how talented he is.  Value is tied to the most someone is willing to pay.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Because the Jets have sucked for so long, when they get lucky and hit on a pick, that player always feels like they have leverage with the fans.  Until Joe D can show skill at drafting replacements that come at a fraction of the cost, star players like Adams will continue to chirp...

And it was still the wrong pick and a bad pick.  

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

However, it’s concerning to me that he’s shown that he’s 1.) not really a leader, as much as he’s a cheer-leader 

Jamal Adams is one of the only leaders on the entire roster. 

He doesn't want out he wants to be paid. 

Why is it smart for Dallas and Baltimore to trade for and then sign this player but it's dumb for the Jets to sign him? 

not a rhetorical question, I want answers

and If that answer is "They are contenders, the Jets aren't" how does trading the team's best player for picks make this team a contender? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Idk, I'm out of touch with this social media stuff so call me crazy but I have no idea what there is to be upset about here.  It's May, he's doing some type of thingy everyone does now on video during a stay at home order and his homeboy was like, yo!  The Ravens rumor!  And Jamal was like, yo!  It's all about D in Balt and that's rare.  They got a good coach.  

So, like, what's the harm?  It's not like Jamal started the rumor, he's just talking about it and it's not like he said anything about playing for the Ravens, simply, they got a good coah and they're all about D. 

The real question is?  Who is more dramatic about this situation?  Jamal or Jets fans?  I know the answer. 

It's not any one thing.  It's all of them.  As @The Crusher mentioned, he talks more than he plays.  He has a handful of memorable plays in the NFL.  He has about 10 instances where he's acted like a petulant child.  And it's only going to get worse the longer he goes without getting what he wants (his money or a trade).  

It's not Jets fans that are shooting Jamal out of town.  Far from it.  He's doing that himself.

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

On second thought, i take back what i said.

This prick knows EXACTLY what he's doing. He's basically flirting with other teams, intimating contact in public view. Maybe he sees this as a way of 'getting back' at the team when they publicly announced that they're willing to 'listen to offers'.  If you look at it from his point of view, he has a good reason. But that doesn't excuse him - he's the team's best player, a leader. It's irresponsible, and it makes him look petty.

I wish all of this could happen behind closed doors, but the Jets aren't competent enough to keep all their dirty laundry indoors anyway

The team never publicly announced anything except that they would answer the phone if somebody called. The front office has said repeatedly that they want to keep Adams long term.  Jamal is a crybaby

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Biggest concern here is that Adams doesn't seem to be too concerned about hurting his brand, and potentially his trade value, in the process. IMHO, this is not how a, "leader of men," under contract should be bahaving publicly. 

Jamal Adams' could take a crap on his own brand from now until his retirement and still have a better brand than the New York Jets 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Who will that affect? Probably not Patrick Mahomes. But young non-quarterbacks could find the financial going a little tougher over the next couple months, and it could make things rather interesting with young stars like Chargers DE Joey Bosa, Jets S Jamal Adams, and 49ers TE George Kittle, all of whom will likely seek to set new standards at their positions.

Kittle's contract will be interesting to watch. Like Jamal, he plays a position with a low franchise tag number. Unlike Jamal, he's in the last year of his contract with no fifth year option and the 49ers have to get something done. I've seen speculation about him getting top ten WR type money. That would put him a few million over the next highest paid TE. If/when he gets his money, I'd expect the Adams camp to point to him as a player getting paid regardless of position. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Jets fans have been attacking adams since the day he was drafted so spare me the nonsense.

"Shut and play ball"

Hmmm. Where have I heard that phrasing used before.

There are also plenty of Jets fans who would be crestfallen if he was traded.  Spare me the nonsense.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As @The Crusher mentioned, he talks more than he plays.  He has a handful of memorable plays in the NFL.  

He's the only game changer on the entire roster. The memorable plays he makes win games. 

I know this board loves to eternally rebuild but they've missed the playoffs for 10 years

they are 20 mil under the cap

now is not the time to trade their only All Pro for picks 

this narrative that Jamal Adams is not worth the money only exists because the Jets are too cheap to even consider paying their best player (BY FAR)

it feels like half the board act as Woody's accountants. Hey news flash that money they don't pay Jamal, it doesn't go to paying someone else awesome. It goes nowhere. 

btw if Sam Darnold had displayed a tenth of the heart of Jamal Adams they really could trade the President

say what you will about Adams, he plays every game and wants to win. Darnold can't make it through a season healthy and we should all be concerned that QB1 who got mono last year won't be able to socially distance properly. Not whether they should pay Jamal Adams.  They used a 3rd round pick on Ashtyn Davis to replace Maye not Adams and a 4th round pick on Morgan for when Darnold creates Covid-27 in a sweaty Hoboken bar this October.  

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Why is it smart for Dallas and Baltimore to trade for and then sign this player but it's dumb for the Jets to sign him? 

not a rhetorical question, I want answers

I don't think it's smart for them, I just want them to do it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

yup.  And the score is Myers 1, Sucker Jets fans 0.

Doesn't this make it 2-0?

All this chatter about the Ravens and nobody is mentioning Earl Thomas?  Maybe there is more trouble there than just his wife and her posse pulling a gun on him, his brother and their strippers. 

26 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If the Jets are trying to trade him, you don't  think this weakens their position? 

1. They’re not trying to trade him.  Some fans are.

2. No, doesn’t weaken anything.  No one cares that he tweets.  He doesn’t knock his team, ownership etc.  His teammates look up to him, have no problem with him

3.  Back to the point, how can you even think you can fine Jamal for these tweets that mean nothing to anyone, cause no issues? 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Totally different situations though, no?  Jamal is responding to a question.  He didnt bring it up and he didnt verify the truth or say that he what he wants.  He just said they've got a good coach and are all about D and that's rare.  He didnt say he'd be a great fit or help them win a SB or look great in purple again, etc.  It was actually a very PC response given the circumstances.  

In this situation its the Jets who look like hypocrites, IMO.  JD keeps talking about how he want Jamal for a long time but then all we are hearing is contract talks arent going well and they're looking to trade him.  That's hypocritical.  Looks like Jamal wants to stay a Jet and the Jets are the ones initiating trade talks.  If it were the other way around and Jamal was demanding trades or Jamal was holding out, etc. ok, I hear you but he's simply responding the Jets hypocritical behavior IMO and it was harmless.

All of the leaks are from Adams agent, not the Jets. They're trying to force a trade so he can get paid.  He's in a rush to get the new contract bc contract $ will be down the next few years bc of the virus.  That's what this is all about. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think it's smart for them, I just want them to do it. 

yes the Jets are always getting the better of teams like Baltimore in trade negotiations. It happens about as often as this team makes the playoffs. That is to say NEVER 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not any one thing.  It's all of them.  As @The Crusher mentioned, he talks more than he plays.  He has a handful of memorable plays in the NFL.  He has about 10 instances where he's acted like a petulant child.  And it's only going to get worse the longer he goes without getting what he wants (his money or a trade).  

It's not Jets fans that are shooting Jamal out of town.  Far from it.  He's doing that himself.

Disagree he talks more than he plays.  Disagree he's acted like a petulant child.  Did he conduct himself accordingly regarding the trade rumor?  No but does it really matter?  Nah.

I'm not blaming Jets fans for the situation, just think they're being dramatic over any little Jamal story.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1