Report: Ravens in trade discussions for Jamal Adams

9 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

If there's any truth to these trade negotiations one thing is abundantly clear....

This trade will ultimately decide Douglas' fate in NY. If the Jets trade their best player, and Joe Douglas goes out and squanders the picks? He's as good as gone. Even if he gets two 1st rounders for Adams, odds are he'll never get in return what Jamal is worth to the team. He has a VERY slim margin for success.

disagree

Sam & the O will have a say in grading JD, but even that may impacted by health/gase/etc and not strongly reflect back on JD.

The amount of draft capital we get back for Jamal will have no, or a very tiny amount, of impact on JD.

The man just had his first draft in a 6 year contract

• Upvote 1

I think Jamal Adams is a great player, but his viewpoint is the same thing we derided OBJ for, a me first attitude. If he can’t accept that a GM takes calls on him, he’s not going to ever be happy.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, someone who I think has a bigger impact on the passing game, got traded for a 1st and 4th (I think the Steelers got a couple picks back too), and it’s a fairly even trade in terms of value (it would have been better if Miami made a better pick with it).

I don’t want to see Jamal leave because he’s obviously a very good player but I’m taking the picks plus cap space in the future over him. To me it boils down to his impact on the game from the SS position. If he’s getting paid 90% of a No. WR, I’d take the receiver plus premium picks.

My dark horse team is the Broncos in this. Although reality is this will most likely amount to nothing and he’ll play for the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Now he’s “my guy” because of a Prez33 handle on a fan site?  My world doesn’t change one bit based on the Jamal Adams saga. I think the Jets are stupid for letting this guy linger on a vastly underpaid contract, but the Jets will go forward, and Jamal Adams will continue to kick ass wherever else he goes.  No skin off my back. 

Lol, he's your guy because of the handle and the fact that you're pretty much alone looking for him to get more money when he's already under contract. It's a weird position to take. There's no advantage for the Jets to pay him early, so I can only assume your a Prez fan first and a Jets fan second. Which is fine, you be you! 

I'd be very wary about paying Adams. He's squawking now when he's under contract for two more years. What happens after he gets an extension that doesn't kick in for another three years? When four years from now, he's not even a top five paid safety anymore? I have a guess... I think he'll pull this pay me or trade me bull**** again. For a guy whose big selling point was being a leader of men, where is he leading them? To put themselves above the team like he's choosing to do? What he bought to the locker room was supposed to be a big part of his value, now suddenly it's becoming a liability. 

I was pro-trading him from the start, but I would've understood if the Jets decided to extend him (next year!). Now I just want Jamal to get his wish to play elsewhere and for Joe Douglas to get a nice package for him. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Is it a coincidence that your handle is prez33? You're not Jamal because you can put a few coherent sentences together, but you could be his agent or one of his employees. His union negotiated the contract Jamal signed. Let Jamal take it up with them or be fined $40K a day if he holds out.

That’s it. Damn, you got me. 

I’m Jamal’s agent. Or his best friend. Whatever you prefer. 

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, in fairness, if you name yourself after a specific guy, it does kinda indicate something.  

Lol. It’s funny how people read way too deeply into things sometimes. 

17 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I maintain that good teams are built over the course of 3-5 years. That means getting some great players like Adams along the way. You can’t put gold in the middle of a garbage pile and expect people to take notice. Start surrounding him with better players and that D’s looking legit. 

Weapnz?  Wepones?  For a safety?

9 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Is it a coincidence that your handle is prez33? You're not Jamal because you can put a few coherent sentences together, but you could be his agent or one of his employees. His union negotiated the contract Jamal signed. Let Jamal take it up with them or be fined $40K a day if he holds out.

His union?  The kid was in middle school when they made that deal.  That deal was no more made by "his" union than yours.  

7 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Dude, I only have this handle because I dominate

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

/shrug

If you didn't like the player alot, why choose his nick for your nick?  why defend him at great length from critics here?

I think the maiden doth protest too much.  

Again, can't speak for anyone else, but I choose a nick of my own unrelated to the Jets, in part specifically to not be tied to a current player.  even my all time favs, Toon, Chrebet, Mangold now too, I wouldn't name myself after them, and I love those dudes,  I'm me, not them.

TLDR:  So we don't read into it, why DID you pick Prez as your handle?

11 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Now he’s “my guy” because of a Prez33 handle on a fan site?  My world doesn’t change one bit based on the Jamal Adams saga. I think the Jets are stupid for letting this guy linger on a vastly underpaid contract, but the Jets will go forward, and Jamal Adams will continue to kick ass wherever else he goes.  No skin off my back. 

lol what?  That's how rookie deals work.  How are the Jets "stupid" when only ONE team has extended a 2017 first rounder so far (Panthers - McCaffrey)?

If Adams has a complaint about it, take it up with the NFLPA who agreed to this rookie wage scale in each of the last 2 CBA's.  Teams have the upper hand on these deals, and they're not "stupid" for taking advantage of that.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

My dark horse team is the Broncos in this. Although reality is this will most likely amount to nothing and he’ll play for the Jets.

If I'm the Broncos I'd rather re-sign Justin Simmons (11 INTs) at Eddie Jackson prices (or less) than trade draft capital to sign Jamal Adams at Jamal Adams prices.  

Simmons is currently going to be playing on the franchise tag, but that could change over the course of the season.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I agree....I took your handle to mean you are a huge Harry S. Truman fan.?

Only a true Harry S Truman fan would understand that there's no "." after the S

S is his middle name.  

There has been controversy since 1962, when Truman told reporters that they should not use a period after the S, because it didn't stand for anything

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Linger?  He's 3 years into a 5 year deal.  WTF?  Vastly underpaid?  He may be underpaid, but he is still in the top 25 safety salaries per year and his contract is like 8th in guaranteed money for a safety.  It's not like he is working for free.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

His union?  The kid was in middle school when they made that deal.  That deal was no more made by "his" union than yours.  

They recently re-upped the CBA in March, no?  Couldn't Jamal and others have fought to change the rookie wage scale had they wanted to?

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If I'm the Broncos I'd rather re-sign Justin Simmons (11 INTs) at Eddie Jackson prices (or less) than trade draft capital to sign Jamal Adams at Jamal Adams prices.  

Simmons is currently going to be playing on the franchise tag, but that could change over the course of the season.

The weird thing with Jamal Adams is that you look around the league and realize that most teams already have decent safeties, and wouldn’t dream of coughing up significant coin or picks for one.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

I think Jamal Adams is a great player, but his viewpoint is the same thing we derided OBJ for, a me first attitude. If he can’t accept that a GM takes calls on him, he’s not going to ever be happy.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, someone who I think has a bigger impact on the passing game, got traded for a 1st and 4th (I think the Steelers got a couple picks back too), and it’s a fairly even trade in terms of value (it would have been better if Miami made a better pick with it).

I don’t want to see Jamal leave because he’s obviously a very good player but I’m taking the picks plus cap space in the future over him. To me it boils down to his impact on the game from the SS position. If he’s getting paid 90% of a No. WR, I’d take the receiver plus premium picks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Minkah was also a year less into his rookie contract, and wouldn't command the same type of immediate contract extension Jamal will.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The weird thing with Jamal Adams is that you look around the league and realize that most teams already have decent safeties, and wouldn’t dream of coughing up significant coin or picks for one.

It's almost as if its relatively easy to find decent to game-changing Safeties without using a top 10 pick or breaking the bank.  Weird.  

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's almost as if its relatively easy to find decent to game-changing Safeties without using a top 10 pick or breaking the bank.  Weird.  

Game-changing is a stretch. Ed Reed was a game changing safety. Troy Polamalu. Steve Atwater. Ronnie Lott. There aren't any guys like that now.

Jamal isn't even close to those kind of safeties.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They recently re-upped the CBA in March, no?  Couldn't Jamal and others have fought to change the rookie wage scale had they wanted to?

Yeah.  I guess I ignored that simple fact.  I have not found it in me to read up on the changes, but the fact that have not been widely reported means they are probably not very significant, or at least not very obvious.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Game-changing is a stretch. Ed Reed was a game changing safety. Troy Polamalu. Steve Atwater. Ronnie Lott. There aren't any guys like that now.

Jamal isn't even close to those kind of safeties.

Agreed that there are none currently if that is the standard for game-changing.  

In his prime Earl Thomas was the closest to that category among recent/active players.  Eddie Jackson (10 INTs, 4 FFs, 5 FRs, 2 Sacks) could be one if he keeps stringing together seasons like the last 2.  

Yes, he's in the exact same bucket as Ed Reed, who had 21 INTs thru 3 seasons, and Ronnie Lott, who changed the way people looked at the position.  

GTFO.  

He is the best player on a 53 man squad ..had only played 3 seasons ... Reach pro bowl twice and all pro once. ... All this in the first three seasons of his young career ... Guy is a stud not seen since Revis.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He is the best player on a 53 man squad ..had only played 3 seasons ... Reach pro bowl twice and all pro once. ... All this in the first three seasons of his young career ... Guy is a stud not seen since Revis.

Pro Bowl/All-Pro honors and being one of the best players on a terrible roster do not make a guy a "game-changer".  Especially since that's really all you have to support that argument.  He essentially won a couple popularity contests.  Cool.  That makes him a very good player.  It does not make him a "game-changer", especially not on the level of those guys listed.

And stop comparing him to Revis.  Revis made himself a top 5 Jet of all-time based on essentially 2 seasons of transcendent play unlike the league had ever seen before.  Adams is not close to that category.  He doesn't do anything that separates himself significantly from his peers, unless you want to say he's transcendent at tackling Running Backs.  

I like Jamal a lot. I think most of you underestimate his value with the premium position bs. Guys like him are exactly who we should be looking for.

But, we hold all the cards and if it were me I would tell Jamal he is a key guy in our long term plans who we really value and not give him another dime this year. (Pretty much how I think JD is playing it!)

Next year, different story. Let's wait and see what happens. Who knows what the future holds.

It's nice to have a competent GM.

Pro Bowl/All-Pro honors and being one of the best players on a terrible roster do not make a guy a "game-changer".  Especially since that's really all you have to support that argument.  He essentially won a couple popularity contests.  Cool.  That makes him a very good player.  It does not make him a "game-changer", especially not on the level of those guys listed.
And stop comparing him to Revis.  Revis made himself a top 5 Jet of all-time based on essentially 2 seasons of transcendent play unlike the league had ever seen before.  Adams is not close to that category.  He doesn't do anything that separates himself significantly from his peers, unless you want to say he's transcendent at tackling Running Backs.  
Clearly you were not watching last year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Clearly you were not watching last year.

Clearly you have a very soft, homerific definition of what "game-changing" is.  

And I was indeed watching.  A few nice plays against fumble-prone Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins doesn't impress me much.  The Dallas game was nice though, I'll give him that. 

He also threw up duds against Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzpatrick, which are casually forgotten by the Adams fanboys.  We also beat Fitzpatrick and the Dolphins without him in the lineup.