Report: Ravens in trade discussions for Jamal Adams

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mosely will be 29 next year and we can save cap space by cutting him. 29/30 is usually a good time to say good bye.

LB’s can typically still play into their early 30’s. Jets haven’t even gotten a full game out of this guy yet. I’d like to see what he does after a full year in Green before we talk about cutting him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I simply don't agree with the idea of trading away an all-pro in his prime years for the chance at drafting another guy who likely won't be as good of a player. Bird in the hand.

If we had a situation where we had several prime year players who needed to be paid it would be a different story. But we got macc'd.

And that's a valid position. I don't think he's as valuable as you do - valuable enough to effectively trade away a 1st and more (by turning down any such trade offers) to keep and extend him past his rookie deal at some $16-20MM/year - but rational people can disagree on things.

What's not valid is to suggest, if the Jets keep and extend Adams, the team's only draft investment in him was in the past.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's the conundrum.  A crap team likely doesn't want Adams.  He's closer to being a luxury piece than he is a central piece for a non-contender.  

But I could be under-selling the market a bit.  If, say, the Browns, with all their cap space and mediocre results of late, were to join in the fray that would be a great trade to make.  For everyone other than Jamal, that is.  lol.

80 that's a good point, but keep in mind, there's a reason why a lot of teams out there suck so lets hope they suck some more and make a trade like this :) There's got to be a crappy GM out there with a potential top ten pick willing to throw us a 1st 2nd 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's the conundrum.  A crap team likely doesn't want Adams.  He's closer to being a luxury piece than he is a central piece for a non-contender.  

But I could be under-selling the market a bit.  If, say, the Browns, with all their cap space and mediocre results of late, were to join in the fray that would be a great trade to make.  For everyone other than Jamal, that is.  lol.

We did when we drafted him lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I simply don't agree with the idea of trading away an all-pro in his prime years for the chance at drafting another guy who likely won't be as good of a player. Bird in the hand.

The fear of who you MIGHT draft should never be a top reason for avoiding making a trade for picks.  The first JD draft looked very good, with sound logic behind every pick he made.  I'm fully confident with the idea of giving him more picks to use.

More picks for JD + the more cap space are a far better end result than caving to Adams' exceedingly high demands, no matter how you slice it. 

That trade doesn't absolutely have to happen now or at this season's trade deadline.  But something will have to give eventually, and it won't be JD who opts to open up the checkbook.  Nothing he's done to date suggests he'd do that.  And nor should he in this instance.

• Upvote 2

I don’t see any rush to up his contract at this point. Let’s see what kind of character he portrays when he might not get what he wants. He’s got a lot of years left  in this league to get his payday.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If we had a situation where we had several prime year players who needed to be paid it would be a different story. But we got macc'd.

I think this is a very fair stance 

My idea of the bottom line here...

I think most of us agree that there is no need for Douglas to redo Adams contract right now.

The issue here is, are you one of those guys who thinks Adams will be upset, but still play at a high level throughout his current deal, or are you on the side of those making up over the top scenarios like him "sitting out the KC game" or belittling the fact that he's an All Pro and our best player since the young Revis because he plays Safety?

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

80 that's a good point, but keep in mind, there's a reason why a lot of teams out there suck so lets hope they suck some more and make a trade like this :) There's got to be a crappy GM out there with a potential top ten pick willing to throw us a 1st 2nd 

No doubt.  I hope crappy teams come lining up to hand us draft capital for Adams.  But if not I'll still accept a reasonable trade from a contender. 

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

My idea of the bottom line here...

I think most of us agree that there is no need for Douglas to redo Adams contract right now.

The issue here is, are you one of those guys who thinks Adams will be upset, but still play at a high level throughout his current deal, or are you on the side of those making up over the top scenarios like him "sitting out the KC game" or belittling the fact that he's an All Pro and our best player since the young Revis because he plays Safety?

He sat out the Ravens game for BS reasons, then tweeted passive aggressively while the team was getting blown out.  It's not an outlandish hypothetical.

Such a leader, that Jamal is.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

43 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean - the guy is the best QB in the game and the reigning Superbowl MVP on a trajectory to goat. Not many guys can make the case for a new deal in year 3 - Mahomes you just back up the brinks truck and give him a wheel barrow.

I’m not denying that Mahomes is a more valuable player. But for all the talk about not breaking protocol for players under contract, we seem to make exceptions simply because of position. Mahomes is a monster, yes, but Jamal Adams is no slouch either. 

30 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I would much rather have a crap team trade For Jamal with the Ravens we get a high 20's low 30's first rounder and second rounder with a crap team we get a possible top 10 pick . This would be a good trade for the Ravens because that team is already built and I think they would be getting the better end of that deal.

Maybe I am wrong on this, but I don't fear playing against or in the same conference as Jamal Adams.

If we had (stress HAD, no point trading now, today) traded Adams for a #1 and #3 in this last draft, I'd have 100% been happy to play against Adams if I was able to add a top tier WR pick (1st) and another O-lineman pick (3rd).

But we didn't. 

So now, today, I don't see the point of a trade till the season is over.  We have him 2 years still, let him play this next one for us, while he is still hungry for his big payday, then trade him this next offseason for maximum draft assets, if the right deal exists.  But I definitely deal him before he walks, and he will walk if given that option IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Prez33 said:

I’m not denying that Mahomes is a more valuable player. But for all the talk about not breaking protocol for players under contract, we seem to make exceptions simply because of position. Mahomes is a monster, yes, but Jamal Adams is no slouch either. 

The Chiefs aren't breaking protocol.  There are no talks of an extension for him.  That's the point:  That if the Chiefs aren't writing up a new monster deal for their 50-TD MVP and SB winning QB on a GOAT path, why should Adams be getting special treatment?  

What makes anyone think that if we give him a deal now, he won't turn around in another few years (ala MEVIS) and do the same thing. Now if the Jets approached Adams and said hey, we'd like to offer you more money for your play, and not Adams feeling malcontent, then I'd say ok, but since it's not and it's Adams that's wanting a new deal, I don't ever trust a player like that, no matter how hard he plays, cause the first time you cave won't be the last..

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The fear of who you MIGHT draft should never be a top reason for avoiding making a trade for picks.  The first JD draft looked very good, with sound logic behind every pick he made.  I'm fully confident with the idea of giving him more picks to use.

More picks for JD + the more cap space are a far better end result than caving to Adams' exceedingly high demands, no matter how you slice it. 

That trade doesn't absolutely have to happen now or at this season's trade deadline.  But something will have to give eventually, and it won't be JD who opts to open up the checkbook.  Nothing he's done to date suggests he'd do that.  And nor should he in this instance.

It's not about fear, it's about math. Percentages are low that any GM is going to draft an all-pro level player with any pick. 

I generally agree with you on giving Douglas more picks to work with. His first draft seemed very competent. I just think there are better ways to acquire picks. 

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's not about fear, it's about math. Percentages are low that any GM is going to draft an all-pro level player with any pick. 

I generally agree with you on giving Douglas more picks to work with. His first draft seemed very competent. I just think there are better ways to acquire picks. 

Hence why Douglas is going to hold out for a favorable deal to maximize his chances of bringing in premiere young talent.  

If Adams wants to get paid his best route is to shut up, have a big season to up his trade value, then get moved to a team more willing to give him what he wants.

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Chiefs aren't breaking protocol.  There are no talks of an extension for him.  That's the point:  That if the Chiefs aren't writing up a new monster deal for their 50-TD MVP and SB winning QB on a GOAT path, why should Adams be getting special treatment?  

Great Job Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, they are talking long term extension. As reported by Sam Mellinger of the KC Star. “Talks are underway”.  

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He sat out the Ravens game for BS reasons, then tweeted passive aggressively while the team was getting blown out.  It's not an outlandish hypothetical.

Such a leader, that Jamal is.  

Are you saying his ankle wasn't really hurt? 

I remember Gase making it pretty obvious in the press conference after the Dolphins game that Adams was not playing on a short week. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Are you saying his ankle wasn't really hurt? 

I remember Gase making it pretty obvious in the press conference after the Dolphins game that Adams was not playing on a short week. 

I'm saying there's a difference between playing through pain and playing through injury.  And there's also a way to behave while you're missing a game and your teammates are out there battling.  And it's not to tweet passive aggressively in such a way that you're essentially bashing your teammates while you sit at home.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm saying there's a difference between playing through pain and playing through injury.  And there's also a way to behave while you're missing a game and your teammates are out there battling.  And it's not to tweet passive aggressively in such a way that you're essentially bashing your teammates while you sit at home.  

Gotcha. 

Yeah, Adams comes off like a bit of a toolbox and he probably was eager to get to Dallas at the trade deadline. Can't really argue there. 

However, I do think it was a significant injury and he did play well when he returned. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Gotcha. 

Yeah, Adams comes off like a bit of a toolbox and he probably was eager to get to Dallas at the trade deadline. Can't really argue there. 

However, I do think it was a significant injury and he did play well when he returned. 

just thinking out loud ........but how "significant" is an injury that keeps you out fewer than 2 weeks?

• Upvote 2

Adams is great. But he plays a position that only does so much. In spite of his excellence, the Jets are 16-32 since drafting him. Their defense ranked 18th, 21st and 10th (a credit to Gregg Williams more than anything else) in Football Outsiders’ DVOA ratings those same three years. Adams has one more career interception (2) than Terrell Basham (1).from C Hughes/ Atheletic"

i disagree w/ "great". Very good, i'd day.

also ffrom C Hughes

There’s also this nugget, as dug up by ESPN: Since 2011, only 16 of 223 first-round picks received a new contract after their third season. Three of the more recent non-quarterbacks: Running backs Christian McCaffrey (Panthers), Ezekiel Elliott (Cowboys) and Todd Gurley (Rams). Not Pro Bowl corners Marshon Lattimore or Jalen Ramsey. Not all-pro defensive linemen Khalil Mack or Aaron Donald (whom Adams compared himself to).

14 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

just thinking out loud ........but how "significant" is an injury that keeps you out fewer than 2 weeks?

Hmm, well I would argue that any ankle injury that causes considerable pain is "significant" in football, as it undoubtedly hampers your ability to play. 

I'd also add with Adams that I don't think he is the type to sit out unnecessarily. Part of having the giant ego that makes him the pain in the ass that he is also probably makes him a guy who wants the spotlight on him on Thursday night Football. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Hmm, well I would argue that any ankle injury that causes considerable pain is "significant" in football, as it undoubtedly hampers your ability to play. 

I'd also add with Adams that I don't think he is the type to sit out unnecessarily. Part of having a giant ego that makes him the pain in the ass that he might be also probably makes him a guy ho wants the spotlight on him on Thursday night Football. 

in the end, i have no idea what the deal was...     but being someone who has had injured ankles mamy times....

its just a bit wierd tome....           like i siad, wondering aloud...

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

in the end, i have no idea what the deal was...     but being someone who has had injured ankles mamy times....

Maybe.

I don't like speculating on how seriously someone is injured. If a guy is ruled out due to injury, I take it at face value until proven otherwise. We have no idea how hurt any of these guys are. 

Adams plays the game with a ton of energy and a reckless abandon, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The (good) argument against Adams is that he plays a relatively unimportant position, not that he isn't a heck of a player. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Just now, Losmeister said:

Just now, Losmeister said:

Maybe you'd have both felt differently if the Jets made him wear a walking boot?