Report: Ravens in trade discussions for Jamal Adams

4 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Jets fans have been attacking adams since the day he was drafted so spare me the nonsense.

"Shut and play ball"

Hmmm. Where have I heard that phrasing used before.

Some Jets fans have been praising him from the day he was drafted and a few people are pissed off that he's not Pat Mahomes.  Not his fault.  That being said, he's being a huge hypocrite by doing this.  Joe D answering the phone is his job and Jamal having a conversation is his business.  But if Jamal was justified in having a hissy fit over the Joe D call, he shouldn't then turn around and do this.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Jets fans have been attacking adams since the day he was drafted so spare me the nonsense.

"Shut and play ball"

Hmmm. Where have I heard that phrasing used before.

In the beginning he was unfairly criticized for being drafted too high, obviously not his fault. At one point the majority of this board grew to appreciate his play, minus a few people obviously. To say all Jet fans hated him is lazy and blatantly incorrect. But, the more he talked, the more he started losing the support of some of the fan base. His histrionics on line about being treated unfairly have reached a point of absurdity at this point. He really does need to “ shut  up and play” Not sure that’s a bad thing.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

By CHANCE LINTON May 22, 10:14 PM

Coming off back-to-back Pro Bowl appearances, Jamal Adams is seeking a contract extension ahead of the fourth NFL season. But the New York Jets are reportedly unwilling to budge on a new contract this offseason, preferring instead to wait until 2021.

With tension growing between the two sides, trade talks appear to be heating up for the former LSU standout. Longtime NFL writer Gary Myers reported Friday that the Baltimore Ravens are among the teams that have been in discussions with the Jets about a potential trade for Adams.

This comes just one day after Myers reported that there was friction between Adams and the Jets after the two sides had come to a stalemate in contract discussions.

“Sources told me today Jets have given no indication they will sign All-Pro S Jamal Adams to new contract in offseason,” Myers tweeted Thursday. “Want to wait to make decision. He wants contract now. Stalemate has caused friction & sources said trade very possible. It's expected half the teams will call Jets.”

The Ravens’ interest in Adams should not come as a surprise as Baltimore reportedly pursued a trade for the star defensive back ahead of the NFL trade deadline last season.

Adams was angered by reports that the Jets had been taking calls on his availability at the NFL trade deadline, and trade rumors surrounding the 24-year-old have not died down since. Last month, however, Joe Douglas maintained that he wants Adams to be a Jet for the rest of his career, and plans to have conversations with Adams and his representatives in the near future.

"My stance on Jamal hasn't changed," said Douglas while talking about the Jets' NFL Draft haul. "At some point, we're going to get with him and his representatives. ... He's an outstanding player. We would like him to be here a long time."

On several otherwise hapless Jets teams, Adams has been not only the franchise’s best player, but one of the best safeties in the NFL outright. He has made two consecutive Pro Bowl appearances, following up a second-team All-Pro season in 2018 with first-team All-Pro honors last season.

In 14 games last season, Adams notched 75 tackles, including career-highs in both tackles for loss (10) and sacks (6.5), to go along with 13 quarterback hits, seven pass breakups and two forced fumbles. He also scored a pair of defensive touchdowns on a pick-six and fumble return, respectively.

Adams was selected by the Jets with the No. 6 overall pick in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft following a decorated college career at LSU. He spent three seasons with the Tigers, amassing 209 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, two sacks and five interceptions over 36 career games, garnering second-team All-America honors as a junior before declaring for the NFL Draft.

A former five-star recruit out of Hebron High School in Carrollton, Texas, Adams was ranked as the No. 32 overall prospect and No. 2 safety in the country for the 2014 class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He was also the fifth-ranked player in the Lone Star State.

https://247sports.com/Article/Jamal-Adams-trade-rumors-New-York-Jets-Baltimore-Ravens-in-discussions-147436358/

cheap natalie tran GIF

Interesting, Gary Myers has the forum to pass on the Baltimore trade rumor but the day before when he blasts the impasse article out nationally he doesnt mention Baltimore.  A day later he hints at Baltimore on a local San Antonio radio show?  Trolling the Cowboys fans?

Whats he doing, going down rosters looking for a team that has a need? 

42 minutes ago, KRL said:

Understanding issues is not what this society does but Breer brings up 
legit reasons for delays in contract extensions.  If players truly believe
that contract negotiations are just "business" then they have to consider
the business environment:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/25/veteran-contracts-jalen-hurts-russell-wilson

• I would expect teams to be cautious in doing long-term deals with star players in the coming months, especially in situations where those teams have the flexibility to wait. The reason? If there’s a revenue shortfall this year, and the cap equation spits out a number lower than the $198.2 million figure in place from 2021, it’s pretty unlikely that the league and union will leave that as is. The potential bloodletting of pricey vets and tightened purse strings otherwise would create a one-year free-for-all. More likely would be negotiating a deal where the league would borrow cap dollars from future years, which could lead to multiple years of a flat cap (probably at least until the new TV money kicks in). For now, no one’s sure if it’ll come to that. But teams at least have to be prepared for the idea it could happen, which will lead at some teams to be conservative with their spending. And that’s without even considering that the threat of a revenue shortfall might make teams more conscious of their cap spending too.

• Who will that affect? Probably not Patrick Mahomes. But young non-quarterbacks could find the financial going a little tougher over the next couple months, and it could make things rather interesting with young stars like Chargers DE Joey Bosa, Jets S Jamal Adams, and 49ers TE George Kittle, all of whom will likely seek to set new standards at their positions.

Douglas "love" of giving out one year contracts during free agency really agrees
with Breer's first point.  With the possibility of the cap being pulled back
in 2021 it wasn't smart to lock into contracts going beyond one year.  Teams
with a ton of contract responsibilities in 2021 may have to cut loose quite a
few players to get under a smaller cap

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Idk, I'm out of touch with this social media stuff so call me crazy but I have no idea what there is to be upset about here.  It's May, he's doing some type of thingy everyone does now on video during a stay at home order and his homeboy was like, yo!  The Ravens rumor!  And Jamal was like, yo!  It's all about D in Balt and that's rare.  They got a good coach.  

So, like, what's the harm?  It's not like Jamal started the rumor, he's just talking about it and it's not like he said anything about playing for the Ravens, simply, they got a good coah and they're all about D. 

The real question is?  Who is more dramatic about this situation?  Jamal or Jets fans?  I know the answer. 

There's zero harm, but plenty of hypocrisy.  If the GM is supposed to refuse to do his job and hang up the phone because somebody asked about Jamal, he should be held to the same standard.  If you want to be a jet, hang up the phone when somebody talks about you leaving.  Otherwise, let Joe do his job and you do your streaming conversations.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Sort of like the short window with Sam?

Except...

One of these QBs puts up top 5 stats, while the other puts up bottom 5.

One of these QBs collects league MVP awards, while the other surely leads the league in excuses.

One of these QB’s season would be a disappointment without making a deep playoff run.  The other would be canonized if he goes 9-7 next year.

To be clear, there is no window with Sam Darnold.  Not yet, at least.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I have zero faith there are any trade discussions happening. 

If by trade discussions we mean Joe D won't immediately hang up the phone short of the first two words uttered being "two firsts", then yes, maybe you can consider it trade discussions. Other than that, this is all hoopla. Jamal is under contract. His option is to play or skip the season. He can look to his own teammate Bell to see that the second option doesn't exactly get you want you want except a lost season.

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Except...

One of these QBs collects league MVP awards, while the other surely leads the league in excuses.

One of these QB’s season would be a disappointment without making a deep playoff run.  The other would be canonized if he goes 9-7 next year.

Him and Lamar were drafted the same year, same window of a rookie contract.

if the Ravens are smart to stack why aren’t the JETS? You have to build like your top QB will be good you can’t play scared

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

At this point jets fans deserve Adams to be traded, our pick in exchange coming back to be a bust and him to go on to be an integral part of another team winning a superbowl and have a great career.

Are you an Adams fan, or a Jets fan?

A Jets Fan should want the best for the Jets, shouldn't they?

Why would you root for failure over some kind of silly "deserve" idea, for what.....because we're not all fawning over him or demanding he be paid hundreds of millions in cap-crippling salary now?  Are you Adams girlfriend?  Are you heartbroken we all don't love him like maybe you do?

Have you ever considered, even for a second, that some fans may simply see things differently than you, see Adams as a great player, but not a vital player for THIS Jets team in this moment at his expected cost, and perhaps could be more useful to the success of this team for his potential trade value, and the assets they could return, than his play in 2020?

Maybe you should take a second and try to see things from the other side's perspective.  Most of us who prefer to trade Adams completely understand that he is an excellent Strong Safety, we know he's a good player.  You might want to try and understand the other view yourself before being emo about what we, as a fanbase, "deserve".

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Goof article by the Ravens beat writer in the Athletic... a trade not likely given their '21 draft picks and salary structure.  But keep on trying to speak this thing into existence.  I love the incessant chants of rabblerabblerabble!

Exactly.   Go look at the players under contract for the 2021 season.  Their 6 highest cap hits are all on the defensive side of the ball, and that’s not even accounting for Judon who is playing on the tag this year.   But yet somehow they are interested in trading for and having to a pay Adams??   Sheer lunacy.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

That's the thing.  He didn't say he wants to be traded.  He said something nice about the Ravens.

However, they hypocrisy is what jumped out at me.  Joe Douglas is supposed to slam the phone down when somebody says the words "Jamal Adams" on a private call, but it's okay for him to live stream a public conversation in which somebody is trying to convince him to play for a different team and he feels no urge to turn the phone off?

If one is bad then so is the other.  

Joe Douglas talked to someone that could actually trade for him. Jamal was on Instagram talking to a random retired player.

It’s not like Jamal was on a zoom call with Harbaugh

3 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Joe Douglas talked to someone that could actually trade for him. Jamal was on Instagram talking to a random retired player.

It’s not like Jamal was on a zoom call with Harbaugh

But his stance all along was that if they wanted him, then they should hang up the phone and refuse to even discuss it.

If Jamal wanted to be a Jet, why even discuss it instead of sending a message to a team through a friend that you like their culture and emphasis on defense?

Kind of like the time his buddy Ryan Clark went on TV and said Jamal would love to be a Cowboy.  How many times is he going to use the "conversations" to send signals to another team that he'd like to be there?

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

nd has subsequently been criticized for selfish behavior that runs contrary to bring team-first.

Link?  Who, who has anything to do with the team has said this?

How is it when a player wants to be paid what hes worth, putting his contract behind him, does he become selfish?  

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

Idk, I'm out of touch with this social media stuff so call me crazy but I have no idea what there is to be upset about here.  It's May, he's doing some type of thingy everyone does now on video during a stay at home order and his homeboy was like, yo!  The Ravens rumor!  And Jamal was like, yo!  It's all about D in Balt and that's rare.  They got a good coach.  

So, like, what's the harm?  It's not like Jamal started the rumor, he's just talking about it and it's not like he said anything about playing for the Ravens, simply, they got a good coah and they're all about D. 

The real question is?  Who is more dramatic about this situation?  Jamal or Jets fans?  I know the answer. 

Fans are fans, we're supposed to follow our team and react to whatever our players do.

Maybe i'm giving jamal too much credit - he might be doing all this unknowingly - but when you put private conversations on a public platform, you're not doing your team any favors.

Everything could be misinterpreted, context and nuance could be lost, and people will look for motive and angles that don't really exist.

He should know better. It's irresponsible on his part.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Kind of like the time his buddy Ryan Clark went on TV and said Jamal would love to be a Cowboy.  How many times is he going to use the "conversations" to send signals to another team that he'd like to be there?

I think this point is under-considered by many Adams-first Jets Fans.  Adams has publicly been involved in a number of "would be interested to play elsewhere" conversations.

I'll go one further:  I think Adams wants out of the Jets. 

I think he thinks we (the Jets) and we (Jets Fans) suck, honestly, are holding his greatness back with bad teams and worse fans, and he wants to go to a Franchise with a better history of success and Championships with fans he thinks will appreciate him more (i.e. worship him and his social media talk).

All the drama right now is due to Adams.  The Jets Front Office did nothing wrong in any form, and no one owes him a new deal now, at this point in his contract.  Yet we have stories everyday coming from Adams camp (not J.D. if you ask me, J.D. has been happily quiet in media-leak-land) making noise about this, that, far apart, no deal, no extension, maybe Adams wants to play elsewhere talk.

Those who want Adams no matter the price, because he's a great player, may want to also consider that Adams does not feel the same about you or the Jets.

• Upvote 3

I think the safety position is starting to evolve more in todays game and the position is becoming a little more valuable than some people (including myself) have given it credit for. A guy like Adams can play all over the field. He's a force on defense. 

If they trade him, they need to get a good haul for him. I'm on record as saying I'd pay him. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.   Go look at the players under contract for the 2021 season.  Their 6 highest cap hits are all on the defensive side of the ball, and that’s not even accounting for Judon who is playing on the tag this year.   But yet somehow they are interested in trading for and having to a pay Adams??   Sheer lunacy.  

You know when Dabo had that press conference rant?  "We don't recruit players that we don't think can play."  Joe Douglas is going to have that with the Jets media.  "We don't trade cost controlled players WE HAVE UNDER CONTRACT.  We don't do that!  Other teams that can waste good young  Pro Bowl talent... They can go do that."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Why should he hang up on this conversation?

And how is discussing, with no one of consequence, how he would fit a team the same as your boss looking at trading you? 

Hes not even discussing it, hes told he would fit in and he acknowledged that they focus on defense, whatever he says.  Its not a hint, its nothing.

What a stretch this one is.  

• Upvote 1

On second thought, i take back what i said.

This prick knows EXACTLY what he's doing. He's basically flirting with other teams, intimating contact in public view. Maybe he sees this as a way of 'getting back' at the team when they publicly announced that they're willing to 'listen to offers'.  If you look at it from his point of view, he has a good reason. But that doesn't excuse him - he's the team's best player, a leader. It's irresponsible, and it makes him look petty.

I wish all of this could happen behind closed doors, but the Jets aren't competent enough to keep all their dirty laundry indoors anyway

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Interesting, Gary Myers has the forum to pass on the Baltimore trade rumor but the day before when he blasts the impasse article out nationally he doesnt mention Baltimore.  A day later he hints at Baltimore on a local San Antonio radio show?  Trolling the Cowboys fans?

Whats he doing, going down rosters looking for a team that has a need? 

Much simpler than that, he's trying to stay relevant.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The reason to trade Jamal Adams is to build around Sam Darnold.

I’d be much happier with Becton/Lamb than Becton/Adams right now, and I’m certain Sam Darnold agrees.

Becton/Mims is still pretty frickin good 

35 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Except...

Um, if there was a window to capitalize upon a cheaper Darnold, then why pay Adams this year? 

Truly capitalize on cheap Adams + cheap Darnold at the same time: Douglas should be packaging his 2021 day 1 and day 2 picks and some lesser/cheaper starters. Trade them for a couple noncontenders' expensive veteran starters, to go all-in for this 2020-21 window instead of these half-assed measures at CB/EDGE/G-T.

We were just going to draft the BAP at ILB/DT/S with those picks anyway. #competitiverebuildftw

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

Much simpler than that, he's trying to stay relevant.

Amazing fall from grace.  Wrote for a national paper, parlayed that into a number of TV shows, was the regular inside guy on Inside The NFL to a Twitter nobody

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, AFJF said:

There's zero harm, but plenty of hypocrisy.  If the GM is supposed to refuse to do his job and hang up the phone because somebody asked about Jamal, he should be held to the same standard.  If you want to be a jet, hang up the phone when somebody talks about you leaving.  Otherwise, let Joe do his job and you do your streaming conversations.  

Totally different situations though, no?  Jamal is responding to a question.  He didnt bring it up and he didnt verify the truth or say that he what he wants.  He just said they've got a good coach and are all about D and that's rare.  He didnt say he'd be a great fit or help them win a SB or look great in purple again, etc.  It was actually a very PC response given the circumstances.  

In this situation its the Jets who look like hypocrites, IMO.  JD keeps talking about how he want Jamal for a long time but then all we are hearing is contract talks arent going well and they're looking to trade him.  That's hypocritical.  Looks like Jamal wants to stay a Jet and the Jets are the ones initiating trade talks.  If it were the other way around and Jamal was demanding trades or Jamal was holding out, etc. ok, I hear you but he's simply responding the Jets hypocritical behavior IMO and it was harmless.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Fans are fans, we're supposed to follow our team and react to whatever our players do.

Maybe i'm giving jamal too much credit - he might be doing all this unknowingly - but when you put private conversations on a public platform, you're not doing your team any favors.

Everything could be misinterpreted, context and nuance could be lost, and people will look for motive and angles that don't really exist.

He should know better. It's irresponsible on his part.

Meh, again, then JD shouldnt tell the fans he wants Jamal long term when all we do is keep hearing trade rumors.