Report: Ravens in trade discussions for Jamal Adams

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is such a farce.  A complete myth perpetuated by @jgb (who may have been banned?  I dunno).  No one was upset when Revis signed his deal in 2010.  

Ah, good ol Mevis. 

Actually his hold out ended up in a pulled hamstring and it bothered him all season. This seems to happen in most hold outs. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, predator_05 said:

On second thought, i take back what i said.

This prick knows EXACTLY what he's doing. He's basically flirting with other teams, intimating contact in public view. Maybe he sees this as a way of 'getting back' at the team when they publicly announced that they're willing to 'listen to offers'.  If you look at it from his point of view, he has a good reason. But that doesn't excuse him - he's the team's best player, a leader. It's irresponsible, and it makes him look petty.

I wish all of this could happen behind closed doors, but the Jets aren't competent enough to keep all their dirty laundry indoors anyway

Agree and Disagree... He does know what he's doing and is a prick for taking this to social media. Not all JETS fans hate him, and I didn't because I like he never takes a play off and is probably the hardest working player on the team.  I love his rah rah to keep the team in the game. But his mouth has gotten him in the territory of hated player. Also, I think that if Macc were still GM you're statement about the JETS being incompetent to keep things indoors would have held true. But I think JD is so different then Macc. He didn't go to the papers and say hey we got a call for an Adams trade and I picked up the phone. He only said it after there was significant flack about how Adams had his feeling hurt. Adams should play, and let JD be the GM, and have an open line of communication between the GM and players.

49 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If you want to think this was all a coincidence  and there was no motive to this, go ahead.  

No, it’s a vast conspiracy.  That’s what you’re selling and asking me to buy into.    Jerry Jones, Michael Irvin and the media are in cahoots with Adams and his agent to do what exactly?  Force who into what?  The jets don’t have to and better not do anything they do t want to do.  If he’s traded it’s because we want to trade him.  

All of which is the tangent that came from the question way back, how and why should Jamal be fined by the Jets for what? 

53 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Agree and Disagree... He does know what he's doing and is a prick for taking this to social media. Not all JETS fans hate him, and I didn't because I like he never takes a play off and is probably the hardest working player on the team.  I love his rah rah to keep the team in the game. But his mouth has gotten him in the territory of hated player. Also, I think that if Macc were still GM you're statement about the JETS being incompetent to keep things indoors would have held true. But I think JD is so different then Macc. He didn't go to the papers and say hey we got a call for an Adams trade and I picked up the phone. He only said it after there was significant flack about how Adams had his feeling hurt. Adams should play, and let JD be the GM, and have an open line of communication between the GM and players.

JD shouldn't have said anything. And if he HAD to make a public statement, it had to be a fire extinguisher, not an extra gallon of gas. You can't deny that this makes for bad PR.

I'm disappointed with how this whole thing was handled. It spiraled into a lengthy, on-going drama.

I'm not sure if someone had a word with Adams or not, my guess is the organization has kept him at an arm's length. Somebody needs to tap him on the shoulder and tell him to STFU.

54 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, it’s a vast conspiracy.  That’s what you’re selling and asking me to buy into.    Jerry Jones, Michael Irvin and the media are in cahoots with Adams and his agent to do what exactly?  Force who into what?  The jets don’t have to and better not do anything they do t want to do.  If he’s traded it’s because we want to trade him.  

All of which is the tangent that came from the question way back, how and why should Jamal be fined by the Jets for what? 

Conspiracy  isn't  the word I would use. Thst would suggest a disinformation campaign to hurt someone or some organization.  This is just feeding into what has already been created by the media about him. Stoking the flames if you will and I don't  think this is a coincidence like this would have happened regardless if he signed an extension or not. Basically, I think hlwhat he is doing is detrimental based on whst is out there already. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can't it be both?  And he's about as much of a "leader" as Revis was.  Leaders don't behave like petulant children all the time.

ycm8ibEE_x96.jpg

ESPN’s Ryan Clark said Jets’ S Jamal Adams would like to go home to Texas and play for the Cowboys.

So Jamal never actually said it?  Ryan Clark did?  

Oh well then.  That changes everything I guess.  If you don't think he has acted poorly then I guess he hasn't.  

The funny part is JD hasn't responded to any of his histrionics, even when Jamal went behind his back to complain to ownership, yet you think HE'S the one in the wrong.  Can't make this stuff up.  

The bold.  lol  I love you when you're triggered, you completely forget people are allowed to view things differently.  I dont have a problem with Jamal's behavior.  He was out of line once and nobody even remembers it other than Jets fans that already disliked him for not being Watson or Mahomes.  Otherwise, it's water under the bridge.

And now you're putting words in my mouth.  I never said anyone is the wrong, simply that JD's actions speak differently than his words.  

Stop getting so tweaked because I disagree with your extremely biased take. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

So Jamal never actually said it?  Ryan Clark did?  

Oh, you guys.

When I found out that I was being shopped, and that I was on the verge of being traded, that was one of the teams that I told him (former Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark) I would love to go to, and it was to go to the Dallas Cowboys,” Adams told reporters from the Jets’ facility. “People got to understand, I’m born and raised in Dallas. I find out everything, every little thing you can think of. Michael Irvin is like my uncle. I find out everything. So, everybody is coming at me in certain ways to say I’m a liar about a lot of things or I’m not believing in something, that’s not true. I’m always going to shoot you straight. I’m never going to sugarcoat anything, but like I said, I told RC that that was definitely a spot that I would love to land.”

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Prez Mal haters be like don't pay Adams! Good franchises would never do that!

33meme.thumb.jpg.3d4071d5fee89127a09c12f5d2d5665f.jpg

Man do people realize at all that this is not the argument in regards to Jamal. It also has nothing to do with whether Jamal deserves top safety money (he definitely does) or to be the highest paid safety (and argument can be made)

It is also not about the positional value of a SS. At all.

What the argument is about is whether signing Jamal Adams to a huge contract is in the best interests long time for the NY Jets.  As much as I personally think we will compete this year, the Jets are still a rebuilding team. We still have many foundational holes to fill on this roster. 

Now certainly Jamal is a very important part of the Jets defense and a foundational type of defensive player you can build a defense around.

But teams in the NFL have finite resources in terms of cap space they can spend on the roster. And history has shown that giving out big contracts and "creative" use of the cap and pushing cap $$$ out into the future is not a sustainable way of developing a franchise that can compete . It can have benefit for an already set roster to make that "push" to win a Super Bowl, but the Jets are not in that situation and need to fill MANY holes, even after a great offseason (on paper, at least)

The only question with Jamal is whether Jamal on a large contract over the next 3-5 years is more valuable for this team than having several players instead - a couple high draft picks on rookie contracts and 2-3 additional solid depth players (people like Poole as an example)

For a young building team like the Jets that is not a simple question to answer. If NE has show anything over the last 20 years is that deep rosters with a bunch of above average to good players can outperform teams with a few huge names. And they have consistently let some of their star players walk.

That is the only argument. Jamal being a great player and worthy of a high $ contract is NOT in debate at all. It just may not be the best move for this Jets team.

• Upvote 1

Because under the CBA rules, he really CAN'T hold out.  He gains nothing by doing that.  

He can demand a trade and be all Jalen Ramsey about it. 

JD is evidently TAKING calls, not MAKING them.  But you believe what you want, I guess. 

And I absolutely think Jamal's agent could be shopping him.  Because, again, he can't hold out, and evidently JD has no intention of paying him this offseason.  Which is of course the right move for the team.

Adams wants no part of playing this year on "only" $3.5M.  So if he has to shoot his way out of town he'll do exactly that.  

Now you're just hysterical (duh).  His agent cant make the trade, only JD can.  So it's not news if Jamal Adams agent is talking to every team in the NFL.  He doesnt matter, JD does. 

Timeline:

Jamal: How dare Joe Douglas shop me around the league! I want to be a Jets for life!

Ryan Clark and Michael Irvin: Actually, Jamal told us he was pumped about joining the Cowboys.

Jamal Adams: Well, yeah, ok, I mean. 

Again, Jamal Adams wasn’t upset about being shopped, he was upset that Joe Douglas wouldn’t take the Cowboys’ offer of a first round pick and a JAG corner. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

He can demand a trade and be all Jalen Ramsey about it. 

Now you're just hysterical (duh).  His agent cant make the trade, only JD can.  So it's not news if Jamal Adams agent is talking to every team in the NFL.  He doesnt matter, JD does. 

And what evidence do you have that JD is talking to a bunch of teams about trading Adams?  We haven't yet established where this information is coming from, and several sources (like Ian Rapoport) are saying the Jets are NOT trying to trade him at the moment.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

The bold.  lol  I love you when you're triggered, you completely forget people are allowed to view things differently.  I dont have a problem with Jamal's behavior.  He was out of line once and nobody even remembers it other than Jets fans that already disliked him for not being Watson or Mahomes.  Otherwise, it's water under the bridge.

And now you're putting words in my mouth.  I never said anyone is the wrong, simply that JD's actions speak differently than his words.  

Stop getting so tweaked because I disagree with your extremely biased take. 

I'm getting "tweaked" because there isn't even argument to be made that Adams hasn't acted poorly.  It's only a matter of to what degree you think that is and how much it matters.   

It all started with his behavior at last year's trade deadline.  It was completely unjustifiable for him to go behind JD's back to ownership over a trade that DIDN'T happen.  Again, his complaint was over wanting to go to Dallas and not ending up there.  NOT being pissed off at JD for taking calls.  

Defending Adams' behavior to this point requires a mind-bending amount of justification.  And its only going to get worse the longer he goes without a new deal.  He's not going to stop behaving like a petulant child.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oh, you guys.

When I found out that I was being shopped, and that I was on the verge of being traded, that was one of the teams that I told him (former Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark) I would love to go to, and it was to go to the Dallas Cowboys,” Adams told reporters from the Jets’ facility. “People got to understand, I’m born and raised in Dallas. I find out everything, every little thing you can think of. Michael Irvin is like my uncle. I find out everything. So, everybody is coming at me in certain ways to say I’m a liar about a lot of things or I’m not believing in something, that’s not true. I’m always going to shoot you straight. I’m never going to sugarcoat anything, but like I said, I told RC that that was definitely a spot that I would love to land.”

Wait, so this is after finding out about him being shopped?  lol  Ok, so, again what's the big deal here?  I thought you guys were saying he just offered up he'd love to play in Dallas.  lmfao    Holy sh*t you guys are like a bunch of teenage girls.  

Jamal Adams upon finding out he was almost traded to Dallas - "no sh*t?  Hmmm, well, Dallas is cool.  I would love playing in my hometown for my Uncles team.  Glad it wasnt Minnesota.  I hate Minnesota."

Jets fans (or should I say Tom and 80) in reaction to Jamal's quote - "OMG Jamal wants to play for Dallas.  Says they're the greatest franchise of all time and he would use the Jets as toilet paper.  He hates New York and their fans.  He said Jerry would kick the sh*t out of Woody and Chris at the same time.  He wants to poop on the Empire State building."

And what evidence do you have that JD is talking to a bunch of teams about trading Adams?  We haven't yet established where this information is coming from, and several sources (like Ian Rapoport) are saying the Jets are NOT trying to trade him at the moment.  

What can he do? Sit out and put off FA for another year? Not smart in this football economy. They will come to their senses. Jets are not going to blink unless they get completely blown away

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Timeline:

Jamal: How dare Joe Douglas shop me around the league! I want to be a Jets for life!

Ryan Clark and Michael Irvin: Actually, Jamal told us he was pumped about joining the Cowboys.

Again, Jamal Adams wasn’t upset about being shopped, he was upset that Joe Douglas wouldn’t take the Cowboys’ offer of a first round pick and a JAG corner. 

^^^ Established facts that JamalBros somehow discount as meaningless.  

It's always a good thing when your leadery leader is so fired up about going elsewhere.  Always.  Name one franchise where that DIDN'T go well.  I dare you.  

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Timeline:

Probably similar to when your application to the State college was denied but then you heard the Community College had a killer cafeteria and accepted everyone!  

• Haha 1

Just now, JiF said:

Wait, so this is after finding out about him being shopped?  lol  Ok, so, again what's the big deal here?  I thought you guys were saying he just offered up he'd love to play in Dallas.  lmfao    Holy sh*t you guys are like a bunch of teenage girls.  

Jamal Adams upon finding out he was almost traded to Dallas - "no sh*t?  Hmmm, well, Dallas is cool.  I would love playing in my hometown for my Uncles team.  Glad it wasnt Minnesota.  I hate Minnesota."

Jets fans (or should I say Tom and 80) in reaction to Jamal's quote - "OMG Jamal wants to play for Dallas.  Says they're the greatest franchise of all time and he would use the Jets as toilet paper.  He hates New York and their fans.  He said Jerry would kick the sh*t out of Woody and Chris at the same time.  He wants to poop on the Empire State building."

So why compare yourself to Aaron Donald and Tom Brady afterwards, and say "you don't even pick up the phone" for a guy like Jamal?  During that whole process he was quietly waiting to see if he'd get traded to Dallas.  He then threw his tirade after finding out the deal didn't happen.

Your version of events makes zero sense.

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Man do people realize at all that this is not the argument in regards to Jamal. It also has nothing to do with whether Jamal deserves top safety money (he definitely does) or to be the highest paid safety (and argument can be made)

What the argument is about is whether signing Jamal Adams to a huge contract is in the best interests long time for the NY Jets.  As much as I personally think we will compete this year, the Jets are still a rebuilding team. We still have many foundational holes to fill on this roster. 

Now certainly Jamal is a very important part of the Jets defense and a foundational type of defensive player you can build a defense around.

But teams in the NFL have finite resources in terms of cap space they can spend on the roster. And history has shown that giving out big contracts and "creative" use of the cap and pushing cap $$$ out into the future is not a sustainable way of developing a franchise that can compete . It can have benefit for an already set roster to make that "push" to win a Super Bowl, but the Jets are not in that situation and need to fill MANY holes, even after a great offseason (on paper, at least)

The only question with Jamal is whether Jamal on a large contract over the next 3-5 years is more valuable for this team than having several players instead - a couple high draft picks on rookie contracts and 2-3 additional solid depth players (people like Poole as an example)

For a young building team like the Jets that is not a simple question to answer. If NE has show anything over the last 20 years is that deep rosters with a bunch of above average to good players can outperform teams with a few huge names. And they have consistently let some of their star players walk.

That is the only argument. Jamal being a great player and worthy of a high $ contract is NOT in debate at all. It just may not be the best move for this Jets team.

I have yet to see someone make a coherent argument showing that a Jamal Adams contract would prevent the Jets from signing other key players. Feel free to lay it out if you have one. What important contracts wouldn't we be able to do if Jamal was paid as the top safety in the league for 5 minutes until the next guy gets paid?

When you draft a player and they become an all-pro level player, you have first dibs on retaining them for the prime years. Those are the big second contracts you want to give out. It's the ~30 year old+ guys other teams are letting go that are looking for their third contract that you want to avoid paying for prior performance.

Good teams build largely through the draft, retain most of their top tier drafted players for a 2nd contract and don't give out many big contracts to ~30+ players. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

huh?  Arent we talking about the Ravens are in discussion with the Jets for a trade?  If they're not talking to JD, who are they talking to? 

Just now, JiF said:

huh?  Arent we talking about the Ravens are in discussion with the Jets for a trade?  If they're not talking to JD, who are they talking to? 

lol.  You aren't even considering the possibility that Adams' camp is the source of this rumor.  There might not even be any trade discussions going on.

The Ravens were rumored to be interested in Adams at the trade deadline, so its obviously not an outlandish rumor this time around.  But rumored interest doesn't necessarily mean the Ravens and Jets have been talking.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Link?  Who, who has anything to do with the team has said this?

How is it when a player wants to be paid what hes worth, putting his contract behind him, does he become selfish?  

1.) If you read/quote my whole post, it’s clear I’m talking about fans - not the team.

2.) I also make it clear he’s been criticized since his first season for putting himself and his own accomplishments and promotion ahead of the team. It’s always been the issue with him and fans. I’m not talking about him getting paid. I’m talking about him not wanting to be here because people don’t like his hypocrisy. 

3.) Don't try so hard to find a contrarian angle that you have to change the entire meaning of what was said.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I like this post. 

one thing is that they had brady the whole time at a discount. Moss Gronk whoever never really got paid. We do not ahve the luxury for long, at some point Sam will need money and so if we can ship adams all the better.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jamal Adams is one of the only leaders on the entire roster. 

He doesn't want out he wants to be paid. 

Why is it smart for Dallas and Baltimore to trade for and then sign this player but it's dumb for the Jets to sign him? 

not a rhetorical question, I want answers

and If that answer is "They are contenders, the Jets aren't" how does trading the team's best player for picks make this team a contender? 

Another one deflecting.

Learn to read people. He wants out.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm getting "tweaked" because there isn't even argument to be made that Adams hasn't acted poorly.  It's only a matter of to what degree you think that is and how much it matters.   

It all started with his behavior at last year's trade deadline.  It was completely unjustifiable for him to go behind JD's back to ownership over a trade that DIDN'T happen.  Again, his complaint was over wanting to go to Dallas and not ending up there.  NOT being pissed off at JD for taking calls.  

Defending Adams' behavior to this point requires a mind-bending amount of justification.  And its only going to get worse the longer he goes without a new deal.  He's not going to stop behaving like a petulant child.

Wait, I must have missed something in this story arch....  

You're telling me that Jamal is pissed for not being traded to Dallas not because JD took calls on him?  

How do we know this?  lol

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not any one thing.  It's all of them.  As @The Crusher mentioned, he talks more than he plays.  He has a handful of memorable plays in the NFL.  He has about 10 instances where he's acted like a petulant child.  And it's only going to get worse the longer he goes without getting what he wants (his money or a trade).  

It's not Jets fans that are shooting Jamal out of town.  Far from it.  He's doing that himself.

This guy tweets replies that I swear to God are reactions to sh*t he reads here. He’s a baby.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So why compare yourself to Aaron Donald and Tom Brady afterwards, and say "you don't even pick up the phone" for a guy like Jamal?  During that whole process he was quietly waiting to see if he'd get traded to Dallas.  He then threw his tirade after finding out the deal didn't happen.

Your version of events makes zero sense.

So this is all a conspiracy theory you guys have created?

This is fun! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

You're telling me that Jamal is pissed for not being traded to Dallas not because JD took calls on him?  

Because while JD was taking calls, Jamal Adams was texting Ryan Clark about wanting to be in Dallas.  NOT b*tching about JD taking calls.

Only AFTER the trade did NOT happen did he throw his little b*tch tirade.  

If he was actually pissed about JD answering calls, he'd have been complaining about it throughout the process.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

I thought you guys were saying he just offered up he'd love to play in Dallas

Actually, it’s code. When he says Michael Irvin is his uncle and that he’s from DFW and that he grew up a Cowboys fan and when his personal friends say, “actually, Jamal wants to be a Cowboy,” what it secretly means is that Jamal wants to meet a nice girl from East Setauket and settle down in a nice enclave in Brick Township for the rest of his storied football career

• Haha 3

Just now, JiF said:

Adams disclosed it. It is fact. He got pissy his name came up. Went to CJ.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  You aren't even considering the possibility that Adams' camp is the source of this rumor.  There might not even be any trade discussions going on.

The Ravens were rumored to be interested in Adams at the trade deadline, so its obviously not an outlandish rumor this time around.  But rumored interest doesn't necessarily mean the Ravens and Jets have been talking.  

But I thought he wanted to go to Dallas?

so confused.  This is hard to follow.