Charlie Brown

Mims why he was the Steal of the Draft!!

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

I am not concerned about the criticisms. The routes he ran in college were limited to his teams offensive play calls. He can learn to run any route in any playbook. Pushing off is not that big a deal. If he gets called a few times he will learn.

Would not surprise me one bit if he wound up being the best Jets draft pick since Adams.

Well I hope Becton wrests that designation from him.... Our QB's life depends on it.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

It's a good question. Best I've seen is that there's a Big 12 bias, and a Baylor bias specifically. I don't know. Six WRs went before Mims in the second round, and the only one of those I expected to go before Mims was Higgins who went #33 overall. Joe Douglas was obviously happy to not take him at #48, but then happy to take him at #59. 

Dude has size, tests really well, was the star of the Senior Bowl, and produced in college. It was strange watching him drop, but I'm glad he's a Jet. Hope I still am this time next year. 

Agreed all round.  And I don't know (nor do I even have a theory, based on what little I know) either.

But it concerns me.  Players who drop like stones and have materially weaker prospects picked before them can mean anything.....but I worry it means something bad the league saw, and Douglas either didn't see, or saw and choose to overlook given the possible value-for-draftslot at the time we picked him.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So Mims sucks now because JD was aware of other teams’ draft strategies?

Nice act.  Who said he sucks?  People, including you, are acting like he is this stud 1st rounder that we stole in the let 2nd.  If Douglas thought that, he probably wouldn't have traded down.  There were still two WRs taken between that pick and Mims.  Would we be reading the same sh*t if they ended up with Claypool or Jefferson?  Did he really want Pittman, Shenault or Hamler and traded when they were gone?  I prefer Mims, but it doesn't seem the NFL agreed.  

23 minutes ago, slats said:

Looks like semantics to me. If he catches 55-60 passes, that probably means he had 100 thrown his way. 

That would be a huge disappointment. I'm expecting primarily a base 3-WR set with Perriman and Mims both starting along with Crowder in the slot. It's certainly possible that Mims sees the field the least of the three, though, especially earlier in the year. I still expect him out there a lot. If he's healthy, figure something like 66% of the team's offensive snaps... ? 

It's a good question. Best I've seen is that there's a Big 12 bias, and a Baylor bias specifically. I don't know. Six WRs went before Mims in the second round, and the only one of those I expected to go before Mims was Higgins who went #33 overall. Joe Douglas was obviously happy to not take him at #48, but then happy to take him at #59. 

Dude has size, tests really well, was the star of the Senior Bowl, and produced in college. It was strange watching him drop, but I'm glad he's a Jet. Hope I still am this time next year. 

i guess if they trotted out robbie from day 1 they can also do the same with mims. we all hope he succeeds and putting him in with perriman and crowder could be a really good set.  i kind of wonder if rhule's program is the reason why he wasn't picked higher.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

.....I'm still honeymooning with JD and thinking that maybe the Jets got lucky here. 

I am as well.

I've said it a number of times (but I choose to repeat it, given the slanted view that I hate everything the Jets do always, lol), but I believe that given how the draft fell, J.D. had about as good a draft in 2019 as could have been hoped for, and while I (like many) was disappointed we couldn't get two high-end WR prospects, I generally support J.D.'s "fill all the holes with something potential" draft plan this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well I hope Becton wrests that designation from him.... Our QB's life depends on it.

Point well taken. As we learned with DeBrick the LT never gets the headline (unless he is a turnstile) and I'm fine with that however my feeling is Mims has the potential to become a highlight reel.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why do you think he fell? 

I cant see anything on the highlight reel that would explain why he fell.  He is going to have to learn to deal with contact at the line, but that can be coached.  Past that, he looks like a top WR prospect in every other respect.  I'm taking a wild guess here in thinking that his interpersonal skills may not be the best.  Not saying he is a bad person in any way, but he may have the type of personality that underwhelms people or perhaps he is very direct or is not engaging.   He may just be "all go" and "no show".  You never know, sometimes.  That is my best guess.  He's not a good self promoter.  

Hines Ward can teach Mimms all about contact and Jamal Adams can teach him all abut self promotion.  Problems solve.  Both actual and supposed :-) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I truly hope so.  Beckton was the O-Line prospect that I and many others were scared of.  He did very little true pass blocking in college.  I was still excited about the pick due to his uncommon measurables and run blocking ability.  I'm going to be watching him with great interest.  Still...  I will be *shocked* of Becton starts on the left side.   Given his lack of pass blocking experience and raw nature, I see him starting on the right side for his rookie season.  Perhaps longer or maybe even permanently.  LT is a VERY hard position to learn and play well at the pro level. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Was shocked Mims wasn’t drafted in the first rd let alone fell to 59

Agreed. Didn’t even cross my mind he’d be there at 48

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

100%. Lazy ass comp. mims actually catches with his hands not his body. 

Lazy is putting it nicely.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

No offense intended but the only way this guy sees 100 balls is if he's the one carrying the ball bags out to practice every day.  At the very best he will catch 55 to 60 balls for 750 yards his rookie year.

100 targets 

6 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

This was a big thing that jumped out to me also when I watch clips of him... I hope that Jeff and Ward can break him of that habit, cause I think he will get a ton of flags as a rookie... We are after all the JETS, not the PATS...

I was shocked that Van Jefferson the son went two picks ahead of Mims to the Rams specifically because he is such an excellent route runner- I don’t think anyone saw that coming.  But then of course you realize his routes were so excellent because he was coached by his dad who is our wide receiver coach so he will train Mims to do the same- really excited for Mims to get coached up.  He has the talent to be one of THE BEST receivers in the NFL, yes it’s just “potential” but it’s all there.  Josh Gordon comps make sense, DeAndre Hopkins, maybe even Michael Thomas if he gets he can get his route running as elite as his physical traits.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

i'm from missouri, show me.  yes mims has the size speed and pass catching ability but we've seen this movie before with stephen hill, devon smith et al.  let's see how he performs on game day against nfl competition.

He's got the tools but he's still got to develop.  My biggest concern is that he rarely gets wide-open.  He's generally fighting for contested balls--and that will be tougher in the NFL unless he learns to be more sudden in his breaks and more polished in his routes.

Nice video in first video but he really doesn't know much about Jets when he says, the Jets didn't have any one with Mims height with his speed.  Does the name Robby Anderson ring a bell?  He as also 6'3. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Nice video in first video but he really doesn't know much about Jets when he says, the Jets didn't have any one with Mims height with his speed.  Does the name Robby Anderson ring a bell?  He as also 6'3. 

But Anderson was gone before the draft.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Stephen Hill-Mims comparisons need to end.  Hill caught 49 passes in his collegiate career.  Mims caught 186.  

Mims played in a no huddle spread, Hill played in the triple option.  lol

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

I was shocked that Van Jefferson the son went two picks ahead of Mims to the Rams specifically because he is such an excellent route runner- I don’t think anyone saw that coming.  But then of course you realize his routes were so excellent because he was coached by his dad who is our wide receiver coach so he will train Mims to do the same- really excited for Mims to get coached up.  He has the talent to be one of THE BEST receivers in the NFL, yes it’s just “potential” but it’s all there.  Josh Gordon comps make sense, DeAndre Hopkins, maybe even Michael Thomas if he gets he can get his route running as elite as his physical traits.

I see a faster Dez Bryant, who also was somewhat limited in his route running coming into the league.   The difference between Mims and Bryant (who was a head case) is the Mims seems to be someone who will work hard to get better at it.   Still if he can duplicate Bryant's best seasons, I think we will be okay with it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But Anderson was gone before the draft.

I know, but he said Sam has not had a player like this in years.   

• Upvote 1

No doubt he was a steal.  I know some will worry that he dropped so far but we have seen many teams snag very good WR who drop to the second or even third round. JD really played his hand great and wound up with more picks 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yes, but why would Mims specifically fall?  Why did a number of GM's think more of lesser prospects?

WR loaded draft is true, but why were many WR's considered lesser than Mims taken ahead of Mims?  I think we might want to know that, doncha think?

I think if there were solid concerns someone would have mentioned the issues by now.  There are plenty of writers who have relationships with the draft guys and front offices, that somebody would have explained why they went for another guy over Mims.  Instead, we keep reading that he could be a “steal”.    I’d guess that Douglas didn’t think he was a steal or he wouldn’t have traded back, but what do I know?

I also get why some people are reluctant to prematurely shower praise or even express hope for a pick or draft class-This time last year some guys thought Polite could be a steal and we see how that turned out.  But we have a new GM that so far seems competent.  Some days its so negative here that it feels like there are some guys that just come here to say”I told you he d suck. ”   What are they going to do if Douglas actually knows what he is doing and starts upgrading the talent with a bunch of savvy picks?  If I felt things were that hopeless that I couldn’t be optimistic about a draft class from a new GM, or even my young QB, I think I’d find something else that made me happier to while away the hours.    Life is too short to be miserable.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I know, but he said Sam has not had a player like this in years.   

I imagine that will be proven correct.  Anderson was a WR2.  Mims has the profile of a bonafide WR1.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

vyncint smith is 6-3 and thomas was as well.   perriman is 6-2 so it looks like the jets have some fairly tall and fast wr's.

• Upvote 2

On 5/26/2020 at 9:58 AM, Warfish said:

Yes, but why would Mims specifically fall?  Why did a number of GM's think more of lesser prospects?

WR loaded draft is true, but why were many WR's considered lesser than Mims taken ahead of Mims?  I think we might want to know that, doncha think?

What was that fall, 2-3 were picked ahead of where some had him going?  

Athlon has him the 13th ranked WR:  https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2020-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-rankings.  

Walter Football had him a little higher.  Bleacher Report out of their top 10.  Sporting News and PFF at 10. 

Mims was the 13th WR taken.  

The fall isnt a story 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

This time last year some guys thought Polite could be a steal and we see how that turned out.

Well, exactly.

But we have a new GM that so far seems competent.

I'm happy enough, although his Free Agent moves before and during last season were a bit "meh".  I liked the draft, generally.

Some days its so negative here that it feels like there are some guys that just come here to say”I told you he d suck. ”

Hmmmm, not really.  We might say that, to remind the 100 posters who blasted us when we said it while they were declaring Polite the next big thing of pass rushers (to continue an example). 

So-called "haters" have to remind so-called "homers" about who is usually right.  But at their core, every so-called hater WANTS to be proven wrong.  We're desperate for it.

What are they going to do if Douglas actually knows what he is doing and starts upgrading the talent with a bunch of savvy picks?

If we win......celebrate man, celebrate!

If I felt things were that hopeless that I couldn’t be optimistic about a draft class from a new GM, or even my young QB, I think I’d find something else that made me happier to while away the hours.

Clearly, it must not make us miserable then.  Opinions =/= mood. 

Darnold hasn't been good enough yet (opinion).  Saying so doesn't make me miserable (mood), it makes me factual, lol.

Life is too short to be miserable.

It's also too short to be a pollyanna, and to have to suffer the massive ups and downs such people must experience when they fall from "Geno Smith is the next All-Pro QB!" to reality.  Of course, those folks just usually glom on to the next guy and just forget all the pap they spouted about the now gone guy, I guess thats why the consistent errors in evaluation never seem to bother them.  There is always a "next guy" to hype. 

• Upvote 1

I don't doubt that Mims needs some refinement in his route running and improved techniques with dealing with the jam at the Los.  It can get overblown though...as criticism...just as well as being overlooked or ignored.

In high school he was the backup QB.  And was being groomed to take over as the #1.  But...coaches dropped their plans for Mims at QB.  It had nothing to do with his lack of understanding of route running concepts.  Nothing like that.  It was due to his explosive receiving skills...they just couldn't to be ignored.  He was that dominant a receiver.  It was his best position...period.

The limited routes he ran at Baylor...could just as easily been based on the coaches decision...that these were the ones to best complement what the other receivers could do.  Rather then based on limited route tree potential.  

Here is video on Mims route running he displayed at the Senior Bowl Week.  As analyzed by one of the coaches there...

Download video

Here's a longer one....showing some good things he does in his route running, as well as some of the weakenses that Mims needs to work on and refine...

Download video

Here is another film breakdown on Mims route running, etc.  This is also before his combine performance...where he wowed everyone with his 4.38 time, his strength and agility scores.  

Download video

Here's one more glowing and optimistic about what he can be among his receiver draft class...

Download video

Mims...his combined speed...athleticism...strength and hands/catch radius...have been underestimated...and are the reasons I believe he will surprise.  Just as he had surprised...at the Senior Bowl week...and at the combine.  Mims will take to Hines and the rest of his coaches...in a positive way.  And refine his game and techniques.  Much sooner rather then later...then most expect.  And have a significant impact as a rookie.    

To each his own...as to what Mims will be in 2020.

For me...IMO...Mims is a steal.  I'm excited...and can't wait to see him play for sure.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

So why do you think he fell so hard in the draft, with so many WR's taken before him?

Micheal Thomas 
NFL Draft:2016 / Round: 2 / Pick: 47

JuJu Smith-Schuster

NFL Draft:2017 / Round: 2 / Pick: 62

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, exactly.

I'm happy enough, although his Free Agent moves before and during last season were a bit "meh".  I liked the draft, generally.

Hmmmm, not really.  We might say that, to remind the 100 posters who blasted us when we said it while they were declaring Polite the next big thing of pass rushers (to continue an example). 

So-called "haters" have to remind so-called "homers" about who is usually right.  But at their core, every so-called hater WANTS to be proven wrong.  We're desperate for it.

If we win......celebrate man, celebrate!

Clearly, it must not make us miserable then.  Opinions =/= mood. 

Darnold hasn't been good enough yet (opinion).  Saying so doesn't make me miserable (mood), it makes me factual, lol.

It's also too short to be a pollyanna, and to have to suffer the massive ups and downs such people must experience when they fall from "Geno Smith is the next All-Pro QB!" to reality.  Of course, those folks just usually glom on to the next guy and just forget all the pap they spouted about the now gone guy, I guess thats why the consistent errors in evaluation never seem to bother them.  There is always a "next guy" to hype. 

There are half full and half empty guys.    I dont think im a pollyanna, but Im going to be optimistic until that optimism is proven wrong.   When Polite sucked , it only confirmed that firing Mac was the right thing to do.   But until they prove they cant be everything the NY Jets hoped for when they called their name, Im going to be positive and hope they drafted an entire load of All Pros.   Taking the opposite approach likely decreases disappointment,  but is so much less fun.   Its like going out to a bar wanting to hook up, but expecting youll be home in 3 hrs watching porn and spanking it!   Why bother??

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Well instead of asking everyone else to answer your questions, why don't you do some research? We all get your negative undertones. I understand that if people give a draft pick some credit on here, you just have to tear it down, but do your own work, preferably before posting negativity, have something to back your innuendos.

sharing an inner monologue and literally asking someone else a question is not the same thing...  in case you didnt know...

and will you ******s stfu about ALL THE NEGATIVITY...

wtf is this place, a cheerleading school? 

Always thinking we draft a passel of all pros is about as willfully naive as it is embarassing....

the death of critical thinking, ffs...

I've said it a thousand times...  use the ignore feature

• Upvote 1