Jets draft tidbit that might make you ill

Looking back at Jets draft going all the way back to 1993 for an article and one stretch jumped out at me in a way that can only make you laugh so you don't cry.

From 1995-1999, the Jets drafted 45 players.  Of those 45 players, only four earned a second contract with the team (Jason Fabini, Jason Ferguson, Ray Mickens and Marcus Coleman)

There were some good players taken who were traded (Keyshawn) or walkd in FA (Randy Thomas), but even if they stick around, that's 6-for-45.  

4-for-45...Jesus.

From 2013-2016 (first two years of Maccagnan which are the only ones you can really evaluate to this point and the two Idzik years) the Jets drafted 32 players.

Only three are still with the Jets. Of those three - one is on a one year deal, one is likely done playing due to a neck injury, and one is a potential cap casualty. Those are the only three to earn second contracts.

Only fourteen of the 32 are still in or close to the NFL in any capacity - counting guys like Charone Peake who was recently signed to a reserve/futures deal and then waived shortly after. Six of the fourteen are 2016 draft picks.

Two first round picks (Pryor, Milliner), two second round picks (Hackenberg, Amaro), and two third round picks (Mauldin, McDougle) are among the 18 out of the league.

Of the nine players drafted in 2017 only two (Adams, Maye) are still with the Jets and four are out of the league. So good chance this doesn’t improve much one more draft in.

16 minutes ago, derp said:

From 2013-2016 (first two years of Maccagnan which are the only ones you can really evaluate to this point and the two Idzik years) the Jets drafted 32 players.

Only three are still with the Jets. Of those three - one is on a one year deal, one is likely done playing due to a neck injury, and one is a potential cap casualty. Those are the only three to earn second contracts.

Only fourteen of the 32 are still in or close to the NFL in any capacity - counting guys like Charone Peake who was recently signed to a reserve/futures deal and then waived shortly after. Six of the fourteen are 2016 draft picks.

Two first round picks (Pryor, Milliner), two second round picks (Hackenberg, Amaro), and two third round picks (Mauldin, McDougle) are among the 18 out of the league.

Of the nine players drafted in 2017 only two (Adams, Maye) are still with the Jets and four are out of the league. So good chance this doesn’t improve much one more draft in.

It’s been ugly, but 4-45?  That’s tough to beat.

Edited by AFJF

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Looking back at Jets draft going all the way back to 1993 for an article and one stretch jumped out at me in a way that can only make you laugh so you don't cry.

From 1995-1999, the Jets drafted 45 players.  Of those 45 players, only four earned a second contract with the team (Jason Fabini, Jason Ferguson, Ray Mickens and Marcus Coleman)

There were some good players taken who were traded (Keyshawn) or walkd in FA (Randy Thomas), but even if they stick around, that's 6-for-45.  

4-for-45...Jesus.

Really, are you telling me we have sucked at drafting for a really long time? No way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

4-for-45...Jesus.

Laveranues Coles? I know he had a middle stint in Wash but?

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Laveranues Coles? I know he had a middle stint in Wash but?

Yes, Coles eventually came back, but even if we include caveats like Coles and Revis it's still a horrific record.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

4-for-45...Jesus.

3 of those 5 drafts were Parcells. He was a horrible GM

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, rangerous said:

and those were the players that nearly took the team to the superbowl under parcells.  to paraphrase a famous flier, it's not the crate it's the person flying the crate.  under good leadership and coaching the players will perform.

Not really.  That team largely carried by veteran free agent additions or guys who were already in place before those drafts:  Vinny T, Curtis, Mawae, Aaron Glenn, Pepper Johnson, Bryan Cox, Chrebet, Mo Lewis, Victor Green, etc...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, Coles eventually came back, but even if we include caveats like Coles and Revis it's still a horrific record.

Oh, no doubt.  Not trying to change the horror that peaked during the Kotite years.  

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not really.  That team largely carried by veteran free agent additions or guys who were already in place before those drafts:  Vinny T, Curtis, Mawae, Aaron Glenn, Pepper Johnson, Bryan Cox, Chrebet, Mo Lewis, Victor Green, etc...

i didn't mean the listed players but the players of that era all came together to be a really good team. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

and those were the players that nearly took the team to the superbowl under parcells.  to paraphrase a famous flier, it's not the crate it's the person flying the crate.  under good leadership and coaching the players will perform.

Actually the real argument should be if they drafted better, adding that talent to the talent brought in through FA or trade they would have won a Super Bowl

57 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It’s been ugly, but 4-45?  That’s tough to beat.

I mean 3-32 is, while not exactly 4-45, basically right there to the point of being basically identical. It's 8.9% vs. 9.4% - the closest you could get to the 4-45 pace with 32 picks.

Further - the four players re-signed were good Jets and were in the NFL 10+ years. Enunwa's career is over and Winters may not be a Jet by the time football is being played again. Jenkins is the only one who seems to even be on pace to have a career as good as the four in the OP.

And the Jets got a huge haul back for Keyshawn that ended up being a huge part of setting the team up for early-mid 2000's success. Leonard WIlliams and Darron Lee were traded but both for pennies on the dollar because they didn't live up to their draft position.

And my point was not even that 3-32 was worse - though I kind of think it was. But the team has horrible draft history within the last few years - why go back to the horrible drafting of 1995-1999? The recent examples are comparably awful and much more relevant to the current state of the franchise.

• Upvote 2