Sign in to follow this  
AFJF

What makes a draft pick a bust?

good grief.  i'm sure there are quite a few fans who think adams is a bust because he was picked too high in the draft.  like others have said, guys like gholston, deerslayer, faurot, hitman, stewart, hansen, amaro, hill, are all busts.  they just didn't have the desire to play the game and/or do the work needed to make the jump from college to the nfl. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Who the hell is the deerslayer? 

that third round pick mangini made from ohio state.  i forget his name but he played linebacker.  i think it was schlagel.

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That would be the Boar Hunter.

i stand corrected.  i remember the story where this guy would hide in a tree with a knife and then drop down and get the unsuspecting arnold ziffel.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sad truth is that there are quite a few other names that can be in the Jets discussion: Dee Milliner, Russel Carter, Blair Thomas, Carl Barzilauskas (yes, I am old, I remmber picking him 6 overall) are other top 10 picks that are in the discussion.

As to the NFL, I think Mandarich gets a raw deal becuase he never lived up to the hype, but he still started about 5 seasons in the NFL, which is more than other top 3 picks like Jason Smith, Akili Smith, Charles Rogers, Bruce Pickens, etc.  Other guys who busted but are largely forgotten becuase they did not get the hype that Mandarch got coming out of college.  I would probably add Brian Bosworth to the all time bust discussion ahead of Mandarich.  Similarly hyped out of school, but Mandarch played more than twice the number of games and seasons as Bosworth.

i think i'd add ron faurot to the list of jet notables.  true enough mandarich never lived up to the hype after stopped juicing.  a lot of guys his era had the same problem.  another guy who was similar is matusak.  he never lived up to his hype but he had a decent career with the raiders.

as for bosworth, as i recall that guy had two bum shoulders when he was drafted and they were hidden.  he had his one memorable moment when bo jackson drove him 5 yards deep into the end zone on a td run.  not much after that.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company