Sign in to follow this  
AFJF

What makes a draft pick a bust?

I've had this conversation over the years with a few different people and it seems the term "bust" is thrown around for a wide variety of players, including some who have varying degrees of success in the NFL.  Is a guy a bust because he fails to meet expectations?  If so, whose expectations?  What if he falls short of expecdtations but still has a long/solid NFL career?

Best example I can think of with this question is somebody like Bryan Thomas.  When he was drafted, he was expected to be a guy who put up big sack numbers.  Based on those expectations, he'd be a bust because that never happene.  But is it fair (or even sensible) to refer to a 10-year starter as a bust?  Shouldn't that be reserved for guys like Vernon Gholston?  

Just curious to see what people are looking at when they say a guy is a bust.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Everyone has their own view of what makes a bust.

For me, it depends on the round. Probably something like this:

1st round, anything less than an average long term starter is a bust.

2nd round, anything less than a starter

3rd round, anything less than a role player

4-7th round, bust if the player doesn’t make the team year 1.

To me, Leo is not a bust. He’s a disappointment. Maybe semantics, but there’s a difference in my view.

This is basically where I’m at.  I think far too many fans have unrealistic expectations of tons of players who then “suck” when they’re not all-pro.  I blame fantasy football.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There is a difference between a disappointment and a bust.

A guy like Quinton Coples was a disappointment but he had 16.5 career sacks, Gholston was a bust.

Ducasse is for sure not a bust, he has been in the league for like a decade.

And that adds another layer to the discussion IMO.  How do you classify somebody like James Farrior, who was a first round pick for the Jets but did nothing for them?  He was great as a Steeler, but is he a bust as far as the Jets are concerned?  Do we call that a wasted pick instead?  Nothing wrong with the player, but if I'm an owner I'm not going to be thrilled when my GM says, "look at my track record, I drafted a bunch of dudes who played great once they left us".  I'm firing that GM and trying to find one who uses picks on players who play well for my team.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company