If there are no fans in the stands

If you're the league and trying to play games and keep things as genuine as possible, do you consider pumping crowd noise in to stadiums to create some of the elements teams would actually face on game day?

I can't imagine a game in complete silence and offense/defense being able to perfectly hear everything opposing players/coaches are saying.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If you're the league and trying to play games and keep things as genuine as possible, do you consider pumping crowd noise in to stadiums to create some of the elements teams would actually face on game day?

I can't imagine a game in complete silence and offense/defense being able to perfectly hear everything opposing players/coaches are saying.

“ Call me, I got you.”

-Bill

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Giant Zoom sessions. Put the fans up in small squares on the jumbotrons.  Pipe in the noise.

No fans in the stands will minimize the difficulty of all road games.  But I do agree
the people who run the stadiums will pipe in crowd noise & music

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

No fans in the stands will minimize the difficulty of all road games.  But I do agree
the people who run the stadiums will pipe in crowd noise & music

That's such a tough proposition . I mean some teams could blast the crap out of it so the opposing O couldn't heard themselves think while other teams might be more subtle. I know the TV networks said they would have fake crowd noise in empty stadiums during broadcasts.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I have on record, there will be fans.  Not sure at what capacity but they will be in the stadiums.  My assumption is either half full with distancing rules in place or some percentage like that...which I think will lead teams to pump noise in no matter what.

How will that work?...I get to go to games 1.3 5 ,7. I don't know how it would work with season ticket holders.

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

How will that work?...I get to go to games 1.3 5 ,7. I don't know how it would work with season ticket holders.

I've heard a few different theories but I think each team is going to have their own spin on how they distribute tickets.  The ideas I've heard but again, this is pure speculation; tenured season ticket holders will get priority/a full lotto system for this year/every other game rotation for season ticket holders/full reset on the orders for the year and it would be like purchasing a concert ticket., etc.  I dont have details, my sources wont give me specifics but I can confirm on NFL communications; there will be a season and there will be fans in the stadium.  It's May, so I'm sure this subject to change but that's where the conversation is at and it's more about they make it work ie; your question and I'm sure a lot of others

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Nope.  

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I can.  They'll figure it out.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nope.  

I can.  They'll figure it out.

Teams already do it so I would imagine there will be crowd noise and they will allow more music etc during times there normally isn’t.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

You mean like Seattle regularly does. 

3 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Teams already do it so I would imagine there will be crowd noise and they will allow more music etc during times there normally isn’t.

Just seems silly and horribly plastic-ly artificial to me.  To each their own I guess.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'd enlist Hollywood to create and "project" virtual crowds and noise via CGI.  Viewers at home would see what they always had, the home team's fans.

That would be something new for Jet fans - a homefield crowd 

• Haha 1

In the stadium, no, there shouldn't be any faked crowd noise.  This could lead to a stadium sound guy influencing the outcome, can't have that.

On TV however, we need a) crowd noise, b) on field reporters, and c) CGI crowd effects.  It's not hard to make a game look like it's being played in a full stadium, so the networks should do just that.

SAR I

Actually I think Atlanta was the team/stadium  "caught" doing it. But Seattle with the 12th man crap , they say how loud it is and they pan the crowd and a majority are sitting down not making noise, most teams probably do it to some degree but I suspect Seattle has been doing it for years. 

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

That's such a tough proposition . I mean some teams could blast the crap out of it so the opposing O couldn't heard themselves think while other teams might be more subtle. I know the TV networks said they would have fake crowd noise in empty stadiums during broadcasts.

Sky've done that in the past with soccer games. Someone decided the crowd's chanting might have been offensive to one or two people, so they replaced it with fake crowd noise.

I would love to see the league/tv networks amp up the on field mics, mic up players, coaches etc and have that be the sound of the game outside of the broadcasters.

However I think that could potentially cause issues with giving away audibles and scouting type things for future opponents, so probably extremely unlikely.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I'd enlist Hollywood to create and "project" virtual crowds and noise via CGI.  Viewers at home would see what they always had, the home team's fans.

How many of those CGI fans will be waving terrible towels when the Steelers come to town?  You know, for realism.

• Haha 1

After looking at some of the pictures of various scenes around the country this weekend, I'm now convinced stadiums will see normal sized crowds if they allow fans in.  People just don't seem to care.

I suspect the NFL will allow fans in the stands, with very little social distancing with a request to wear a mask.

They apparently did it in 1918....they'll do it in 2020.

georgia_tech_1918_football.jpg?itok=5gth

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How many of those CGI fans will be waving terrible towels when the Steelers come tot town?  You know, for realism.

PSL owners will have their faces CGI'd on the TV fans so we're good.

SAR I

• Haha 1

I reckon there will be fans in certain sections and rows of the stadium and the lower stands will have huge banners of the team logo/ NFL advertising so when the camera is close the empty seats can not be seen.