Sign in to follow this  
JetsLife

Championship Teams Retain Special Players

Look no further than the Patriots for an example of how championship teams are built and maintained.  The list of players who got too expansive to keep is extremely long.  Many of these were at the top of the league in terms of their position when the Patriots decided to cut ties because their salary demands would have wrecked the Patriots long term cap position.

• Ty Law
  • Mike Vrabel
  • Deion Branch
  • Brandin Cooks
  • Logan Mankins
  • Wes Welker
  • Malcom Butler
  • Jamie Collins
  • Chandler Jones
  • Richard Seymour
  • jimmy Garopolo
  • Adam Vinitari
  • Randy Moss
  • Drew Bledsoe
  • Lawyer Milloy

Now let's talk about Revis.  New England got him for cheap and he got himself a ring.  They would never have been serious bidders for Revis unless he came down below his price to other teams.

So to the OP.... It is a mark of truly successful teams that they make the tough calls early and manage their cap position with a long term view in mind.  THEY DO NOT SIMPLY CAVE IN TO THE DEMANDS of star players who want to break the bank.  Go break someone else's bank, we have a winner to build here.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

The Patriots had Tom Brady, that sounds be removed from this discussion.

I get it that they had Brady and so letting go of Drew Bledsoe does not seem to fit the pattern but the list was somebody else's list and drew Bledsoe was still a big name player who they decided to part ways with.  Almost all of the others (to a man) would have caused a riot here on these boards if they were NY Jets and the team decided to part ways with them. 

Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Adam Vinitari and Richard Seymour in particular were more accomplished or at least as accomplished as Jamal Adams is today and all of them had a ring or rings to emphasize that point.

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

And yet they paid  there all pro safety in McCourty 3 times effectively making him a pat for life.. I wonder why that is 

Maybe McCourty was not trying to break the bank.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nyjunc said:

My point wasn't about Bledsoe, it was about all of them. Brady is the best QB of all time, he was able to win no matter who was around him.  He made it easy to let higher priced players go and to continuously move down in the draft to acquire more picks of lower salaried players.  The NE situation was very unique.

There are other examples of teams moving on from good players and still winning, personally I disregard the NE examples because of Brady.

I think you are inadvertently making the argument against yourself.

If the player wanting a new deal was Sam Darnold then maybe we are having a different conversation.  We are talking about a Safety here, a position at which we are stacked.  Adams is the furthest thing from being indispensable.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I'm not disagreeing with your premise, I'm disagreeing with the example.  No other team could sustain those losses and still be a championship contender every year like NE.  Brady made that situation unique.

I was reacting to the premise in the original post where both NE and Revis were cited in the first paragraph.

Brady or no Brady New England have had a reputation for years of managing their cap dollars and roster choices in a very tough way.  I think that proactive cap dollars hawkishness is the true lesson to be learned from the sustained success in New England here,  The very opposite of what was suggested in the OP.

Just now, nyjunc said:

It's easy to do when you have Brady who also takes a below market deal himself.  This wouldn't work with any other QB.

If Brady had been paid according to his true value for all of these years then NE would have needed to be even more hawkish when it came to the contracts of other players.

Even so and even with Tom Brady I do not think it was "easy" to let Seymour go or Milloy or Law or any of the others for that matter.

The difference between them and us is that that team and it's fan base bought into the greater good that results from managing your cap dollars prudently.  Something this fan base does not seem to buy into. 

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Can we please, for the love of god, talk about something else?

Literally anything?

How many dimples do you guys think are on the average football? Let’s talk about that.

If you think a particular topic is getting too much air time what is the logic in bumping back up to the top?

20 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Were any of those players on the list really young and just coming into their prime, or at the level that Jamal is right now? I don't see one. They were all on the downside of their careers or were not as good as Jamal. Bellicheck keeps Jamal at this point in his career. A few years down the road is a different story.

Did any player in New England try to hold up the team to become the highest paid player in the league at his position with two more years left on his current deal?

I think we both know the answer to that one.

It is too early and it the ask is too much.  Time for Adams to become someone else's problem now (preferably) or just shut up and play out his current deal on the contract he and his agent signed if we cannot move him.  If he continues to audition for his next contract by playing well then he will get rewarded for that good play at the appropriate time.  Rewarded either by the Jets or by somebody else.  In the mean time the Jets will be rewarded with good play at a bargain price.

Adams' payday is two years from now.

10 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Just pay him and stfu Jets. Tired of being a fan of a joke franchise that always make the wrong choices.

I have an even better idea than that!  Trade him somewhere else that wants to pay him "his money" and then you can go root for that team being that your are so tired of rooting for this "joke franchise".

Personally I am tired of overvaluing and then overpaying our own talent or free agents just because those guys are popular in the media (the list is very long and well known).  We have tried that road and it leads nowhere.  It never leads anywhere except to where we are the laughing stock of the league again....

"look at what the Jets did this time.  Man don't those idiots ever learn?"

Stick with the current deal.  Two more years for cheap money and then send him on his way or.... trade him now for the value your team would expect to extract during those two years.  If he keeps on whining then fine him,....

Or give him one of these and tell him to STFU and play.  After all he is auditioning for his next deal and potential buyers will not pay a whiney slacker.

pacifier2-stress.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Gronk was drafted in 2010 and signed a 4 year contract on July 25, 2010On June 8, 2012, Gronkowski signed a six-year, $54 million contract extension, the largest ever for an NFL tight end.

First of all I do not remember Gronk complaining in the media about being underpaid or disrespected.So as far was we know the six year extension was as much the idea of the NE Patriots front office as it was Gronk.  Once they realized what they had I assume Bellichick ran to make a new deal with his agent.

Secondly wow man just wow.  Gronk was the single greatest tight end I ever saw (Yes that includes Gates and that includes Gonzales albeit that they both played much longer).  He was the greatest offensive game changer of any non-QB player in the last twenty years.

Adams is not even remotely in the same universe as a Gronk and you should be embarrassed for making such a comparison.  

Finally i would sign a four year "contract extension" today at $17 million per year for the additional four years so long as it is understood that the next two years are counted at the original contract price.  Guess what? That probably comes out at around $13 Million per year over the six years but he gets the security of a new signing bonus.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company