NHL to adopt 24-team playoffs if season resumes

Per ESPN.

Regular season would end and the season would move directly into the playoffs.

The NHL will abandon the rest of the regular season and go straight into the playoffs with 24 teams instead of 16 if it is able to resume play, commissioner Gary Bettman said Tuesday

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

When does it start?

Think that is still TBD.  Basically, just the league and NHLPA agreed on a format to resume the season at a later date.  Don't think resumption of play is likely for another month or two at the earliest.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Think that is still TBD.  Basically, just the league and NHLPA agreed on a format to resume the season at a later date.  Don't think resumption of play is likely for another month or two at the earliest.

So we seem no near closer. MLB looks toast too. Football is the last hope, hopefully the players want to play.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

So we seem no near closer. MLB looks toast too. Football is the last hope, hopefully the players want to play.

Yup.  Found this in an article on NHL.com posted today.  If camp is not likely to start until mid-July, they are not playing until August:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-plans-to-return-with-24-team-stanley-cup-playoffs/c-317031010

"Training camps could open in mid-July as part of Phase 3 of the Return to Play Plan, and Commissioner Bettman said the NHL believes the qualifying and first two rounds of the playoffs can be completed in a little more than a month."

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why so negative ? MLB will get it done. Too much $$ on the line. Same with the NHL.

Just now, Thai Jet said:

Why so negative ? MLB will get it done. Too much $$ on the line. Same with the NHL.

Hope you're right. I just dont get the sense there's much enthusiasm from the players (especially the high pay tier ones) to come back. 

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Hope you're right. I just dont get the sense there's much enthusiasm from the players (especially the high pay tier ones) to come back. 

I kinda know what you mean. I remember that one pitcher with Tampa Bay who didn't want to "risk his life for ONLY $3.6 mil "      ( 1/2 pay). Hard for us to relate when that 1/2 pay is more than most of us will see in a lifetime Matt. I still think it'll get done.

The hunger for any kind of meaningful sports on TV is probably higher than it has ever been.

Hockey has an opportunity to showcase their product to a whole new audience if they manage to get this done quickly.

Oh, and "Let's go Rangers!"

• Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The hunger for any kind of meaningful sports on TV is probably higher than it has ever been.

Hockey has an opportunity to showcase their product to a whole new audience if they manage to get this done quickly.

Oh, and "Let's go Rangers!"

Absolutely, this is a unique opportunity for the non football/basketball/baseball leagues.  Get back to sports safely and they get introduced to a new audience.  Great job by the NHL if this works.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I kinda know what you mean. I remember that one pitcher with Tampa Bay who didn't want to "risk his life for ONLY $3.6 mil "      ( 1/2 pay). Hard for us to relate when that 1/2 pay is more than most of us will see in a lifetime Matt. I still think it'll get done.

It’s all going to come down to the dollars and if it makes sense for the players. I read an article where someone who might make 30 million a year would “only” make 8. That’s a hefty cut. Will be interesting to watch. Manfred seems out of his depth. 

9 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

At the end of the day the fans shouldnt brunt the cost of the players and owners fighting over millions. Figure it out and play ball. It's not our responsibility to pick sides. Right now it seems neither wants to play. 

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It’s all going to come down to the dollars and if it makes sense for the players. I read an article where someone who might make 30 million a year would “only” make 8. That’s a hefty cut. Will be interesting to watch. Manfred seems out of his depth. 

Yes but it's still 8MILLION !  That 8 mil sounds low. I've heard 50% since it's half the games which would be $15 mil or $11 mil if it's only a 60 game schedule. Still a ton of $$ to leave on the table.

NHL betting odds posted by the William Hill New Jersey betting app.

NHL 2020 playoff betting odds to win the Stanley Cup

Boston Bruins: 11/2
Las Vegas Golden Knights: 6/1
Tampa Bay Lightning: 13/2
Washington Capitals: 8/1
St. Louis Blues: 8/1
Colorado Avalanche: 17/2
Philadelphia Flyers: 12/1
Dallas Stars: 15/1
Pittsburgh Penguins: 15/1
Nashville Predators: 25/1
Edmonton Oilers: 25/1
Toronto Maple Leafs: 25/1
Calgary Flames: 30/1
New York Rangers: 50/1
Winnipeg Jets: 50/1
Vancouver Canucks: 50/1
Arizona Coyotes: 50/1
Carolina Hurricanes: 50/1
New York Islanders: 60/1
Columbus Blue Jackets: 60/1
Florida Panthers: 60/1
Minnesota Wild: 60/1
Montreal Canadiens: 100/1
Chicago Blackhawks: 100/1

Play-in series matchups

Hurricanes (-150) vs. Rangers (+130)
Islanders (-105) vs. Panthers (-115)
Penguins (-190) vs. Canadiens (+170)
Maple Leafs (-170) vs. Blue Jackets (+150)
Oilers (-155) vs. Blackhawks (+135)
Predators (-130) vs. Coyotes (+110)
Canucks (-135) vs. Wild (+115)
Flames (-110) vs. Jets (-110)

Odds to win East No. 1 seed

Bruins:+180
Lightning: +220
Capitals:+350
Flyers:+400

Odds to win West No. 1 seed

Golden Knights: +225
Blues: +250
Avalanche: +260
Stars: +350

I never thought growing up in London and where William Hill was one of three or four national bookmakers chains that i would one day be living in America to find that William Hill has become  the de facto gold standard for online betting over here.  Well run company.

As far as the Rangers go.... Any notion of being the hot team going into the playoffs has been erased league-wide.  We have the potential lightning in a bottle Goalie who could get hot and the team should be fully healthy by now (Krieder).... Plus the kids are just young and naive enough to not fear anyone.  So..... Why not us?

Prediction.... Swept out in the opening series or we go on a deep run.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I never thought growing up in London and where William Hill was one of three or four national bookmakers chains that i would one day be living in America to find that William Hill has become  the de facto gold standard for online betting over here.  Well run company.

As far as the Rangers go.... Any notion of being the hot team going into the playoffs has been erased league-wide.  We have the potential lightning in a bottle Goalie who could get hot and the team should be fully healthy by now (Krieder).... Plus the kids are just young and naive enough to not fear anyone.  So..... Why not us?

Prediction.... Swept out in the opening series or we go on a deep run.

Interesting that they have the Rangers with better odds than the Islanders.