Flacco: want to help the team in any way possible and also be a guy Sam can lean on

Jets' Joe Flacco says he won't be ready for opener after surgery

6:20 PM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

New York Jets quarterback Joe Flacco, who agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract Friday, confirmed speculation he won't be ready for the Sept. 13 season opener against the Buffalo Bills because of his recently repaired neck.

"I can't speak to exactly when I'm going to be ready, but it will not be day one," Flacco said Tuesday in an interview with SiriusXM NFL radio. "Obviously, we'll get with the doctors and I have another checkup come August, so we'll see where that goes."

Flacco, 35, who underwent surgery in early April for a herniated disk, could be cleared for contact in early to mid-September, sources said last week. He said he feels "normal right now" -- he's throwing and working out -- but he probably will be limited to light work in training camp.

The Jets were aware of Flacco's timetable when they finalized the deal. They're confident he will be healthy enough to serve as Sam Darnold's backup for much of the season. The football calendar is up in the air because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"First and foremost, I want to help the team in any way possible and also be a guy Sam can lean on, that he can learn from," Flacco said in his first interview since being released by the Denver Broncos after only one season. "I would say those are the two most important things: Help out the guys on the team and help out Sam to do all they can.

"For me, personally, I want to play football. I've had some things happen, got injured and had to have surgery. I have to find my way back into the league. I want to play for years to come. I think these guys have given me a great opportunity and hope I can make the most of my situation and make the most of whatever my role ends up being."

The former longtime Baltimore Ravens starter and Super Bowl MVP admitted he wavered on whether to continue playing. He said he was "changing my mind every other day" earlier in the offseason.

"My mind was just all over the place, even a couple of months into the offseason," he said. "I was just kind of going crazy about the whole thing. The fact that I finally got [the surgery] done and put all that behind me, I can move forward now and look forward to football."

Flacco, acknowledging he knows "nothing at this point" about coach Adam Gase's offensive system, is participating in the virtual offseason program. He said he wouldn't hesitate to participate in a minicamp amid coronavirus concerns.

"It's tough to talk about this and not get political, but I want to get back to work," he said. "I think everybody wants to get back to work. It would be very easy for me and a bunch of the guys that play to sit here and say, 'Ah, we can quarantine until this and this and this.'

"... I could quarantine forever -- I've been lucky, I've been fortunate -- but I want to get back to work. I think we all do, man. We need this. We need to get back to work and get things going."

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Here we go TB12 said:

"I can't speak to exactly when I'm going to be ready, but it will not be day one," Flacco said Tuesday in an interview with SiriusXM NFL radio. "Obviously, we'll get with the doctors and I have another checkup come August, so we'll see where that goes."

This entire article is the interview from Moving the Chains today. It still mystifies me how this kind of stuff can pass through an editor for publication, but I digress. 

This was an EXCELLENT interview and it didn't even sound like Joe Flacco to me. he was upbeat, positive, constructive and loose oil a way I do not recall hearing Joe Flacco be before. He always seemed so dry and drab to me. And last year when he was traded to the Broncos he was downright dicky.  Both Kirwan and Miller stated they don't recall ever hearing Flacco sound so positive after the interview. It was cool. 

I think Flacco might be past the potential resentment he may have felt after losing his job to the rookie Lamar Jackson (not our new CB extraordinaire.  I would think it a normal response to being the leader of a team and getting traded cuz the new kid came in and took your job. I get it. 

But even if that's not the case Flacco seemed genuinely excited to join the Jets and stated he thought he could help Sam and the team. Good stuff. It axctually made me like the signing even more than I already did. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Here we go TB12 said:

Jets' Joe Flacco says

"For me, personally, I want to play football. I've had some things happen, got injured and had to have surgery. I "It's tough to talk about this and not get political, but I want to get back to work," he said. "I think everybody wants to get back to work. It would be very easy for me and a bunch of the guys that play to sit here and say, 'Ah, we can quarantine until this and this and this.'

Sorry Flacco but please refrain from political talk on Jet Nation or you'll be banned.  Giving you a pass here (no pun intended). 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

good signing.  not very much new in the article except he won't be ready to play when the games start.  good?  bad?  hard to say.  darnold and the jets need to get out the gate fast and win their first couple.  if darnold goes down early it won't matter who comes in.

13 hours ago, Here we go TB12 said:

Jets' Joe Flacco says he won't be ready for opener after surgery

6:20 PM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

New York Jets quarterback Joe Flacco, who agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract Friday, confirmed speculation he won't be ready for the Sept. 13 season opener against the Buffalo Bills because of his recently repaired neck.

Flacco, 35, who underwent surgery in early April for a herniated disk, could be cleared for contact in early to mid-September, sources said last week. He said he feels "normal right now" -- he's throwing and working out -- but he probably will be limited to light work in training camp.

The Jets were aware of Flacco's timetable when they finalized the deal. They're confident he will be healthy enough to serve as Sam Darnold's backup for much of the season. The football calendar is up in the air because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"First and foremost, I want to help the team in any way possible and also be a guy Sam can lean on, that he can learn from," Flacco said in his first interview since being released by the Denver Broncos after only one season. "I would say those are the two most important things: Help out the guys on the team and help out Sam to do all they can.

"For me, personally, I want to play football. I've had some things happen, got injured and had to have surgery. I have to find my way back into the league. I want to play for years to come. I think these guys have given me a great opportunity and hope I can make the most of my situation and make the most of whatever my role ends up being."

The former longtime Baltimore Ravens starter and Super Bowl MVP admitted he wavered on whether to continue playing. He said he was "changing my mind every other day" earlier in the offseason.

"My mind was just all over the place, even a couple of months into the offseason," he said. "I was just kind of going crazy about the whole thing. The fact that I finally got [the surgery] done and put all that behind me, I can move forward now and look forward to football."

Flacco, acknowledging he knows "nothing at this point" about coach Adam Gase's offensive system, is participating in the virtual offseason program. He said he wouldn't hesitate to participate in a minicamp amid coronavirus concerns.

"It's tough to talk about this and not get political, but I want to get back to work," he said. "I think everybody wants to get back to work. It would be very easy for me and a bunch of the guys that play to sit here and say, 'Ah, we can quarantine until this and this and this.'

"... I could quarantine forever -- I've been lucky, I've been fortunate -- but I want to get back to work. I think we all do, man. We need this. We need to get back to work and get things going."

•  

How about Cimini giving some props to the real guys who did this interview yesterday? 

Cimini literally typed everything heard on Movin' The Chains on Serius XM NFL Network.  The interview was conducted by Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan and Cimini was no different than any other listener yet comes off as if he conducted the interview.  

Wow.  Cimini is still a dick, even in old age.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

This entire article is the interview from Moving the Chains today. It still mystifies me how this kind of stuff can pass through an editor for publication, but I digress. 

This was an EXCELLENT interview and it didn't even sound like Joe Flacco to me. he was upbeat, positive, constructive and loose oil a way I do not recall hearing Joe Flacco be before. He always seemed so dry and drab to me. And last year when he was traded to the Broncos he was downright dicky.  Both Kirwan and Miller stated they don't recall ever hearing Flacco sound so positive after the interview. It was cool. 

I think Flacco might be past the potential resentment he may have felt after losing his job to the rookie Lamar Jackson (not our new CB extraordinaire.  I would think it a normal response to being the leader of a team and getting traded cuz the new kid came in and took your job. I get it. 

But even if that's not the case Flacco seemed genuinely excited to join the Jets and stated he thought he could help Sam and the team. Good stuff. It axctually made me like the signing even more than I already did. 

Agree and I took the fact that Cimini published his article as if he conducted this interview.  He at least credited the hosts on the show as his source.

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

How about Cimini giving some props to the real guys who did this interview yesterday? 

Cimini literally typed everything heard on Movin' The Chains on Serius XM NFL Network.  The interview was conducted by Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan and Cimini was no different than any other listener yet comes off as if he conducted the interview.  

Wow.  Cimini is still a dick, even in old age.

26 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Agree and I took the fact that Cimini published his article as if he conducted this interview.  Not an ounce of credit to the guys that did.  He's still a doosh.

13 hours ago, Here we go TB12 said:

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I missed that credit to the show.  Thanks for the correction.  I should ease up on Cimini who once was the Manish-Devil when he shilled for the NYDN, but is a bit more tame for ESPN nowadays.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jbt said:

So when will he be ready?  why sign him if you are not sure.  So Fales will be backup until he is ready?  not ideal

it's low risk medium reward.  That's why you sign him.  They aren't paying him much and in turn get a backup QB with tons of NFL starter experience.

Fales will be the backup for a couple weeks.  No big deal.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I missed that credit to the show.  Thanks for the correction.  I should ease up on Cimini who once was the Manish-Devil when he shilled for the NYDN, but is a bit more tame for ESPN nowadays.

I'm sure he is still a dick, but he did at least give them a mention.  Some of us don't have satellite radio, or couldn't be bothered with it, and would never see this sh*t if other outlets didn't regurgitate it.

1 hour ago, jbt said:

So when will he be ready?  why sign him if you are not sure.  So Fales will be backup until he is ready?  not ideal

He is throwing now.  It says ready for contact in early to mid-September.  I actually really like this signing.  With the pandemic, being ready for day 1 of mini-camp is way less important.  The money is ridiculously light.  If he comes back and shows he can play they might be able to trade him if a team shows a need.  Like they did with Bridgewater.  If not, along with all the 1-year deals, he may qualify for a comp pick.  The Jets will probably still be buyers next year, but if they are careful with their targets, they might be able to get a pick or two.  Any QB deal will usually qualify.  

If they had given him the $10M they gave McCown I'd be bothered, but for $1.5-4.5M?  Love it.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think he’s at a point in his career due to age and injuries, that he’s willing to accept a mentor role. He’s made about $150m and won a super bowl, hell of a career. Come make some extra pocket change and impart some wisdom on the youngsters.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, J_Smith said:

I think he’s at a point in his career due to age and injuries, that he’s willing to accept a mentor role. He’s made about $150m and won a super bowl, hell of a career. Come make some extra pocket change and impart some wisdom on the youngsters.

I agree. Last year he wasn't there yet after being traded away from the Ravens and asked to mentor Drew Lock. This past year seems to have humbled him to some degree. That's good for Sam and good for us. I like the signing. 

Agree and I took the fact that Cimini published his article as if he conducted this interview.  He at least credited the hosts on the show as his source.

Right. At least he did that but isn’t it odd that full articles are written about others interviews or tweets these days? No real work going on. Just a recycling system.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It shows the rapport Joe has with Joe. 

• Upvote 1