Nathan Shepherd

I just don't understand the emphasis Mac always placed the DL to the detriment/neglect of the OL. The fact is, even when it comes to DL Mac sucked at drafting them. Nate Shepard has become a decent player, but he's not like GREAT, and that's what Mac was trying to lead us to believe.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I just don't understand the emphasis Mac always placed the DL to the detriment/neglect of the OL. The fact is, even when it comes to DL Mac sucked at drafting them. Nate Shepard has become a decent player, but he's not like GREAT, and that's what Mac was trying to lead us to believe.

Worrying about what Mac did or didnt do is pointless at this point.

What is important is that Shephard was basically a sunk cost when he got suspended and instead came back and not only played "better" then we hoped but actually had excellent pass rushing numbers down the stretch.  

Putting out a legitimate 3-3-5 defense that can have elite run stopping ability while playing 3 DL is an advantage few teams have.  Its very possible Fatuski, Q and Shephard can be an excellent DL for the next 2 years at a very low cost with depth of McLendon, Phillips and Anderson behind them which will then allow us to extend one of the DL and drop Anderson with no net loss of space or performance.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Worrying about what Mac did or didnt do is pointless at this point.

What is important is that Shephard was basically a sunk cost when he got suspended and instead came back and not only played "better" then we hoped but actually had excellent pass rushing numbers down the stretch.  

Putting out a legitimate 3-3-5 defense that can have elite run stopping ability while playing 3 DL is an advantage few teams have.  Its very possible Fatuski, Q and Shephard can be an excellent DL for the next 2 years at a very low cost with depth of McLendon, Phillips and Anderson behind them which will then allow us to extend one of the DL and drop Anderson with no net loss of space or performance.

Dont sleep on Phillips, he was like #1 in TFL for DL or something like that forget the actual stat but he was sneaky excellent.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Nathan Shepards and Fatukasi's huge improvement from year 1 to year 2 gives mes hope for Quinen Williams

I'm not hoping, I'm counting on it.  Quinnen > Leo Williams.    No doubt about it.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Putting out a legitimate 3-3-5 defense that can have elite run stopping ability while playing 3 DL is an advantage few teams have.  

So we'll be able to stop Clyde-Edwards Helaire and Chris Carson while Mahomes and Wilson toss for 400+ yards on us.  Awesome.  

The jets dline is in a really good spot. With Foley and Shepherd taking big steps last year, the hope is that Quinnen could and really should to a bigger extent also take a jump. Mix those young guys with veterans like Mclendon and Anderson, jets are set at dline. If only we could one day get a presence off the edge to compliment our IDL. 

7 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Great point.  And, it's even more ironic given his neglect of the outside pass rush.  You would think that a guy who invests so heavily in the Line would be doing so because he believes disrupting the other team's QB is a key to winning (and I agree with that).  So why would he pay so little attention to DE and pass rushing OLBs, only throwing some token picks at those spots with guys like Mauldin and Polite?

Yes, I will never forgive him for passing over Josh Allen from Kentucky for QW last year.  At the same time I hope QW becomes a disruptive monster inside in his 2nd season.  If Quinnen continues to look average then it'll be almost ridiculous how a GM used two Top 6 picks on DTs who were never any better than good.  It almost defies all odds.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc gets lucky and stumbles into his franchise QB.  So what does he do with his next pick....grab a receiver for him?  Build up the Offensive Line? 

Nope.  He takes a 28 year old project DT.  Awesome.

F**king Macc.  

He was 25...but point taken lol. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Great point.  And, it's even more ironic given his neglect of the outside pass rush.  You would think that a guy who invests so heavily in the Line would be doing so because he believes disrupting the other team's QB is a key to winning (and I agree with that).  So why would he pay so little attention to DE and pass rushing OLBs, only throwing some token picks at those spots with guys like Mauldin and Polite?

Yes, I will never forgive him for passing over Josh Allen from Kentucky for QW last year.  At the same time I hope QW becomes a disruptive monster inside in his 2nd season.  If Quinnen continues to look average then it'll be almost ridiculous how a GM used two Top 5 picks on DTs who were never any better than good.  It almost defies all odds.

Josh Allen haunts my dreams.  Every time I think of that draft or see QW I think about Josh Allen - maybe QW turns into a game wrecker, hope so but yeah, hmpf

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Nathan Shepards and Fatukasi's huge improvement from year 1 to year 2 gives mes hope for Quinen Williams

It only gives me hope we don’t need him.

Not sure where they are going to play him? - He’s not really a N.T, and he’s not a 3-4 D.E. He’s a 3 technique 4-3 DT, talk about drafting a player who doesn’t fit our system.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

Be honest.  Who else thought he was 100% gone when his PED suspension was over? 

I'm glad I was wrong on that one because of how much it would've sucked to watch him get picked up elsewhere and play well.

Have to like this D-line with Quinnen, McLendon, Fatukasi, Shepherd, Phillips, Anderson and Zuniga

I was so excited about him when he was drafted. Seemed like he could be good.

After seeing his lack of performance on the field I was sure he was a goner.

Was shocked by what happened last year. Very nice depth piece. As we learned last year depth matters.

• Upvote 3

Fatukasi, Shepard, Quinnen, McClendon, Anderson. That’s rock solid right there. Rotate them and keep them fresh and this team will be set up front.

Shepard is basically a DPR on the interior, he’s not a sure tackler but he can bully guards. 

Fatukasi is the power guy. Controls the LOS, penetrates against the run and dominates centers. Lacks pass rush but is immovable.

McClendon is the savvy vet. Keep him fresh and he’ll give you maximum effort on his reps. Pair him with Fatukasi and it’s basically a 1-yard loss every time.

Anderson gives you more inside pass rush and great pursuit. Can play outside but struggles with OTs in space. 

Quinnen Williams can do all of the above. Needs to be consistent but he has the strength to crush Guards when playing on their outside or inside shoulders. He’ll play the most reps because he’s the most complete player.

These 5 are gonna be the engine of the defense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Isn't Phillips a part of this rotation? He and Kaufusi didn't look too bad finishing the year. It's nice to have a young, deep group.

I think they will have a great year as a group: an instructive year of NFL experience under their belts, and a year within Greg William's defense means more reacting and less thinking. I believe they will be living in opposing backfields all season long.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Joe Ds credo is building inside out and hes hailed a genius.

Macc left him a plethora of riches on one of the lines and hes the worst evar.

I call em like I see the Douglas fur.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Joe Ds credo is building inside out and hes hailed a genius.

Building "inside out" includes the Offensive Line, which Macc neglected for 5 straight seasons.  We saw the result last year.

Building "inside out" also requires bringing in players who can rush the passer.  Also something Macc failed to do for all 5 years. 

34 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Isn't Phillips a part of this rotation? He and Kaufusi didn't look too bad finishing the year. It's nice to have a young, deep group.

I think they will have a great year as a group: an instructive year of NFL experience under their belts, and a year within Greg William's defense means more reacting and less thinking. I believe they will be living in opposing backfields all season long.

Phillips is more of an EDGE player. A classic 4-3 one-gap DE, the Shaun Ellis role in the FEAR days. Kaufusi is very meh but he’s along the same lines. 

It looks like JD values front seven players in the new way of grouping them that’s become more common on the internet - Interior DL, Edge player, Off-ball LB.  Greg Williams groups them together for maximum efficiency and makes it work.

55 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Phillips has a great motor. Dude just keeps getting in the backfield.